87 replies to this topic

#21 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,773 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:28 PM

I used to spend great times, boulder hopping in the Joshua Tree Monument, back when you could pretty much go where you wanted, and even camp where you knew no one would be coming up there in the dark to run you out.   I can't imagine it's still like that now.   More progress, eh?

• wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#22 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,356 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:01 PM

There is another cool rock formation in SoCal but I can't remember exactly where or the name. It hadca name like Devil's garden or Devil's playground.

There are 2 "Devils Playground" that I know of. One is in Santa Ynez Mountains near Santa Barbara, and the better known is in the Mohave Desert, which is a trip in itself...............

The Devils Postpile is another cool rock formation in Mammoth, made of perfect square basalt log formations.

• dead_diver and wildedibles like this

#23 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,773 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:41 PM

I did not rock hound this.  I admired it about thirty years ago and it was given to me.  It's an amethyst Ganesh about two inches tall. It's been here by my computer for decades.

Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha

(Ganesha mantra)

(clears obstacles)

gallery_131808_1351_87248.jpg

Edited by Alder Logs, 05 April 2017 - 09:49 PM.

• Arathu, wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#24 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:52 PM

Thats pretty cool AlderLogs :)
  • Alder Logs likes this

#25 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:40 PM

Wow.....absolutely awesome Skye............

Folded rocks............tilted upwards....the forces required to that should evoke an understanding of our position here.......we ARE little bugs with attitudes.........

the photographs of the pool with tagged walls about made me cry............I'm embarrassed by the behavior of my fellow man..............

And still the beauty is undeniable.....I could feel the warmth from here..........

It's going to get nasty here again for a little while and then I'll bet explode into full spring attire...........

I will add photographic beauty to this thread shortly..........

Thank you all so much for sharing

#26 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:34 PM

:) I know this thread will be cool showing off rocks from all over :) Love seeing new places like I like sharing mine :)

This is a rock hounding video about Amozonite a green feldspar found in Ontario and the Amazon (hense the name) and a few other places ... I may have found one and Skye mentioned up there ^ about testing it with a black light ....mines not working really well but the green one I have and the purple one looks diff under this light ?? I took a few more pictures of it I will share later tonight.....heres hoping that the computer will let me lol

[Direct Link]

I have been watching these videos cause most of these minerals or gems dont look like anything when they are all muddy ....listing about the crystal faces and other tricks to know what Im looking for like decomposing granite ;)
  • Skywatcher likes this

#27 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:51 PM

Wow.....absolutely awesome Skye............

Folded rocks............tilted upwards....the forces required to that should evoke an understanding of our position here.......we ARE little bugs with attitudes.........

the photographs of the pool with tagged walls about made me cry............I'm embarrassed by the behavior of my fellow man..............

And still the beauty is undeniable.....I could feel the warmth from here..........

It's going to get nasty here again for a little while and then I'll bet explode into full spring attire...........

I will add photographic beauty to this thread shortly..........

Thank you all so much for sharing

A

I know crapy weather today its like winter came back I was going to go out looking around today but I wouldnt see anything but snow ....grrr....

The snow will be gone quicker then the tags on that pool but the tags will not last as long as the rocks and they will show thier natural beauty again mother nature has her ways of erasing the things we do :)

#28 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:52 PM

Here are a few pictures of the green rock .... I added a pink and purple and white/clear one that all look simular but i have no idea what I have ....but Im learning lots :)

gallery_121976_1455_235704.jpg

gallery_121976_1455_137425.jpg

gallery_121976_1455_405129.jpg
  • Arathu and Skywatcher like this

#29 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,773 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:41 AM

gallery_131808_1351_21368.jpg

My old Gold Wing parked across a canyon from a vertical face of columnar basalt in Mt. Ranier National Park. 

There is a formation of columnar basalt a few miles from here that has been laid over on its side as a single unit, with huge eight sided boulders that are sometimes released from the cliff face, as the tops of the columns, which formed vertically, are eroded free.  Some of these boulders are five feet across and equally as tall.

http://lcc.ctc.edu/d...s/colbasalt.xtm

p3290250.jpg

#30 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,356 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

I wish I had before picture to show, but these were roughly rolled chunks, I picked out of a river rockbar. I was having a beautiful day, and they just popped into my attention. I of course brought them home because they wanted to help me somehow. and ran them through the tumbler for 6 weeks to get what I have here now. Highly polished and smooth, they are some of my favorite pocket stones. The deep red lingam is a red jasper. The yellow/gold is a quartz with some iron inclusions, as is the reddish banded quartz. The red and green/black mottled, I have not identified.

Any and all of these are positive vibe, comforting stones to carry, and always bring a physical remembrance, (if not a conscious memory), of that day with the sun and the lovely warm water, and the peaceful drone of slowly flowing water, dreamlike......

post-126525-0-76541900-1491669582.jpg

river rocks 3.jpg

Edited by Skywatcher, 08 April 2017 - 11:40 AM.

• wildedibles, Alder Logs and Juthro like this

#31 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

Here is a video on rock and mineral identification :) It helped me lots so I thought I would share :)

[Direct Link]

#32 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:07 AM

Me and hubby checked out the woods today to see how the snow was :) its leaving there is still some in the woods but there is are ground too :)

We found a few peices of red granite and some nice feldspar and quartz some nice stones for the top of potte plants (helps kkeep the water splash down) and for micro climate and beauty :)
I use this size in the bottom for drainage for potted plants too and listing the feldspar will break down in acid water releasing CO2 :) plants like CO2 another way that rocks help plants

We went to the wash out section in the woods a buddys trip into the woods had me itchin to go out too :)
The boulders are just starting to stick out of the snow I was checking some out that were decomposing and found some nice peices that came right out and some that were sticking there ....a pail of water would help to see what is in there lol I found some smoky quartz and some really mica pretty gold color
....everytime I looked at hubby he was digging and removing moss and making a mess "see what I found" a quartz vein but always really stuck in there ....I told him to look for breaking down peices and he finds me a big flat rock 3feet by 3 feet ....."stop it" .....sorry hubby for being so grouchy I just play in my sand box different then you play in it lol :) ....I think e have been together for 13 years this year at least we are past throwing rocks at eachother ;)
  • Skywatcher likes this

#33 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:12 AM

Wilde I don't know if you've ever seen this guy on YouTube (EDIT...yes you have that's the video above......very cool stuff)  but he's showing some stuff in Ontario that makes me want to follow the geese..........North......hahahaha

He even gives some locations along the roadways there where he's showing the deposits..........might be worth checking out.......

https://www.youtube.com/user/Caver461

smoky quartz and some really mica pretty gold color

You're CLOSE....real close............there's big crystals in your future there lady............. :biggrin:

Now your looking for "pockets" along that/those veins.......in those pockets you will eventually find CRYSTALS........

Wilde is gonna have a YouTube channel.................

A

Edited by Arathu, 15 April 2017 - 08:18 AM.

#34 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:21 AM

Enjoying this thread as well. Rockhounding is another hobby I left behind I hope to revisit.

On the more spiritual side, I've found myself, on a beach walk, or a walk by stream, looking for the rock that "wants me to have it".

#35 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:26 AM

It's amazing how they "leap" out at us........sometimes even after having walked right past them............

Rocks have endless patience. A trait that most mushroom cultivators need to develop..........IMHO

#36 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

On a humorous note, I once found an amazing bit of sea glass, it was the intact too ring from a old milk bottle, beautiful. I made a necklace, amulet of it, called it my amulet of finding. But I lost it.

#37 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,356 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

Rockhounding is another hobby I left behind I hope to revisit.

On the more spiritual side, I've found myself, on a beach walk, or a walk by stream, looking for the rock that "wants me to have it".

Rockhounding never really gets out of your blood once you have the affliction.

On a humorous note, I once found an amazing bit of sea glass, it was the intact too ring from a old milk bottle, beautiful. I made a necklace, amulet of it, called it my amulet of finding. But I lost it.

The most valuable amulets, are those that come to us for a while, share with us what we needed, and then depart of their own volition, off to share their presence and gifts with the next on their path...........................

(Sometimes this is a crow who cannot resist bright and shiny trinkets)

• wildedibles likes this

#38 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:15 AM

hahaha that sounds like my type of finding rock :) Best laughh of the day bud almost spit my coffee out :)

And well if I get a youtube channel it be moris the cats youtube channel ;) hes too funny he needs a youtube channel lol

#39 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:28 AM

That is a wonderful take on it Sky. I recall thinking it found someone who needed it more than I.

#40 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:30 PM

Im having a look at the quartz I found in the woods there ....nice and smoky with pink feldspar and gold mica looks really pretty now that I have the mud off I know I found something special when it was still muddy.....the one vein I found was falling apart already and some fell off onto a little ledge ...mud collects here it be a nice place to look at the mud threw ....wash off the mud and see if little crystals fell off before......

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!