17 replies to this topic

#1 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:20 PM

This guy is so badass.  Im pretty sure after the bombs go off, he'll be just fine.  

[Direct Link]

Edited by riseabovethought, 04 April 2017 - 12:31 PM.

• TVCasualty, fungi2bwith, Juthro and 2 others like this

#2 sillyrabbitcubiesR4us

sillyrabbitcubiesR4us

wanderess

• 542 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:20 PM

So primitive and inventive. I wonder if that's information he's learned from locals, passed down from generations, or just taught himself. Either way, it's pretty damn nifty.

• riseabovethought likes this

#3 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:27 PM

Yeah, this guy is my favorite survivalist- video guy out there.  He's got some other really interesting ones too.  Survivalist classes would be so cool, but this is the best I can do ATM.  Anyone know of any other avenues for this type of survivalist stuff?  He's planting sweet potatoes in another one, making inedible beans edible in another, and builds a few different style cabins himself.  I imagine with that steel, one could then make a mold and a knife blade that'll work way better than those shale rock blades.  Damn, just damn.  

I love fantasizing about off grid living.  How about something like this, but underground..

[Direct Link]

For some reason I really love these tensile tents.  One could avoid the foundation altogether, & sleep floating in the air like this

[Direct Link]

More on that floating tent stuff

[Direct Link]

These Yurts are interesting

[Direct Link]

Edited by riseabovethought, 04 April 2017 - 01:40 PM.

• sillyrabbitcubiesR4us likes this

#4 sillyrabbitcubiesR4us

sillyrabbitcubiesR4us

wanderess

• 542 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:44 PM

I went off grid for some time, several times in my life, and quite honestly that's where my fondest memories lie. I call myself a nomad but that's just because I have more nomadic instincts than almost anyone I've ever met. I love the air tents so much. I have a couple of mobile hammocks just for that purpose, elevation.. In colorado, some extreme people camp thousands of feet over rocks and water and canyons; I don't think I have that much faith in everything.My dream off grid house is a hobbit like house, partially underground, partially revealed, with grassy tops, etc. lol. If I ever get this farmland passed down to me, I plan on making a small commune out of it, with sustainably built off grid homes, then one main on grid home for legal reasons.

• Arathu, riseabovethought and Juthro like this

#5 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

I fully intend on surviving, nay THRIVING, as well...........there will be NEW TRIBES..........

I will cry at the passing of this mess from the Earth and then I will be happy again........

I have great hope for the future......

A

• riseabovethought, Alder Logs, Juthro and 1 other like this

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,389 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:22 PM

That guy does some pretty cool stuff, thanks for sharing it, Rise :)
  • riseabovethought and sillyrabbitcubiesR4us like this

#7 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,280 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:53 PM

When I was a kid I used to read everything that I could get my hands on by Tom Brown Sr. Then I read in one of @tvcasualty's posts that he attended the tracker school run by his son:

https://www.trackers...om/default.aspx

#8 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,877 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:08 PM

I thought Tom Brown Jr.'s father was usually away in the Air Force and that he got his outdoor chops from his best friend's grandfather, Stalking Wolf.  Am I remembering that right?

Edited by Alder Logs, 05 April 2017 - 06:09 PM.

• TVCasualty likes this

#9 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,280 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:16 PM

I thought Tom Brown Jr.'s father was usually away in the Air Force and that he got his outdoor chops from his best friend's grandfather, Stalking Wolf.  Am I remembering that right?

I think that you are correct sir, my bad. I'm sure @tv will show up on this thread eventually, he's taken several of the courses.

#10 Nsnail

Nsnail

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:08 AM

That's pretty damn cool. Similar to a style of foundry that uses a hole in the ground with a fan blowing air into it. Now that I think of it the design from this video could easily melt aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

I was thikning about the bronze age, before they knew they could heat it up more, in order to make it stronger.  The Chinese knew far longer ago than we did, and used to make those amazing swords and ceramics we couldnt match until we learned, and this wasnt real long ago.  This guy can do it himself, with a coupla pieces of bark, a bow drill, and some unstoppable persistence.

Hey, does anyone know what the stuff is, that gunk he scooped up, and what exactly was that mix that he used, to melt down into its metalic components?

Edited by riseabovethought, 07 April 2017 - 12:27 PM.

#12 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,877 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:19 AM

It looked like mud from a spring with lots of iron in it.  We have one like that here.  Lots of wells are no good because of water that looks like that.  I don't know what worthwhile iron ore would look like, but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't sometimes the color of rust.

I'd say he was using charcoal to smelt his ore.  Would this be how to make carbon steel?

Edited by Alder Logs, 08 April 2017 - 12:20 AM.

• riseabovethought and Juthro like this

#13 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:16 PM

[Direct Link]

• Juthro likes this

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,389 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:36 PM

That orange slime is an iron-oxidizing bacteria, and grows in water that has a high dissolved iron content.

Most of our ground water here in AK is very mineral heavy, and that orange slime is very common.

If you have a problem with it in your well, you can shock it with a heavy dose of chlorine, and it will clean it up for some time, but if your mineral content is high then it is just a matter of time until the orange slime builds up again.

https://en.wikipedia...dizing_bacteria

Edited by Juthro, 08 April 2017 - 02:38 PM.

• riseabovethought and Alder Logs like this

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,877 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:43 PM

[Direct Link]

• Spooner likes this

#16 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,682 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:22 PM

That's pretty cool, though IMO it would be more efficient/useful for melting down and re-working already-refined metals that one finds laying around.

Since humans have been wandering over every piece of land on the planet for a while, and we're a messy bunch, it means there's often plenty of scrap metal to be found laying around (even in a forest; I've found junked cars and old cabins and such in places that were rather surprising).

Here's a youtube demo of how to produce enough iron with primitive tech to make tools with (African style), and was probably the primary method that enabled the Iron Age to begin. I'd guess that the Bronze Age came first (even though bronze is an alloy) because the metals used to make it were easier to refine from relatively-pure ores (compared to iron, that is) and they melt at a lower temperature than iron smelting requires. Plus it probably wasn't immediately obvious that red clay could produce iron until someone made a fire that was hot enough to accidentally refine the iron from clay surrounding a fire or a similar lucky coincidence.

Still, it's hard to beat a knapped arrowhead when hunting with a bow or atl-atl since knapped obsidian/quartz/etc. is much sharper than metal can ever hope to be, plus requires no complicated smelting and metalworking to acquire. Back when I took classes, one of the people Tom Brown jr. worked with was making scalpels for eye surgery by knapping obsidian since the sharper the cut, the faster it heals and knapped glass/obsidian is sharp down to the molecular level (under a microscope, 'razor-sharp' steel looks more like a serrated/jagged blade while an obsidian edge is still almost perfectly smooth).

• riseabovethought likes this

#17 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,877 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:26 PM

One of the 36 movies I bought at a Grange Hall sale last Friday was, The Hunted, with Tommy Lee Jones and Benecio del Toro.  It was about a knife wielding assassin/survivalist gone rogue (del Toro) trained by the Jones character.  The DVD had special features and it turned out that the technical advisor for knife making and design, tracking, and the survivalist stuff was none other than Tom Brown Jr.   So, I got to see Brown Jr. doing his stuff and explaining a bit of it.  Pretty cool.

• TVCasualty likes this

#18 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,682 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:52 PM

One of the 36 movies I bought at a Grange Hall sale last Friday was, The Hunted, with Tommy Lee Jones and Benecio del Toro.  It was about a knife wielding assassin/survivalist gone rogue (del Toro) trained by the Jones character.  The DVD had special features and it turned out that the technical advisor for knife making and design, tracking, and the survivalist stuff was none other than Tom Brown Jr.   So, I got to see Brown Jr. doing his stuff and explaining a bit of it.  Pretty cool.

Another great "primitive" survival movie that is surprisingly accurate in its details is The Gods Must Be Crazy, interestingly enough.

I tend to put "primitive" in quotes like that in this context since IMO it's hardly "primitive" to be able to take off on a journey across a continent with only a loincloth, a spear, and a small sack with a few handy items in it. Contrast that with a modern, well-equipped hiker who looks like he or she is about to go on a space-walk or go SCUBA diving, yet can only stay out for a few days or a couple of weeks, tops (in the case of hiking). Tom does like to equate modern hiking with SCUBA divers who can only stay underwater for as long as what's on their back holds out; once you run out of air you either go back for more or you die. Same goes for hiking; when your supplies run out, you must return to "the surface" and get more, assuming that you weren't already crushed under the weight of your pack, lol...

It's an interesting compromise because while some people would feel more secure knowing they were carrying their needed shelter, water, fire, and food on their back, the "primitive" trekker who doesn't need all that gear can move exponentially faster (and therefore further) over any given terrain, thereby allowing the gathering of more wild food and the finding of ideal shelter locations and such. The modern, well-equipped hiker might as well be exploring another planet as they plod along like overloaded turtles since what they consume and how they survive are completely independent of their natural surroundings.

Edited by TVCasualty, 12 April 2017 - 03:54 PM.

• Spooner likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!