111 replies to this topic

#1 MrModeon

MrModeon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:29 PM

Hey everyone,

I first (properly) used magic truffles a few months ago and fell in love right away. Growkits are legal in NL so I ordered a few of those to get a cheaper stash. Little did I know, mushrooms are interesting as hell. It didn't take long until I spent most of my free time looking at them grow, fanning, misting and of course reading lots and lots of stuff. I'm just now starting my first grow and I figured it was time to stop lurking and start contributing.

My progress so far:

I ordered a Cambodian spore solution from a Dutch webshop and used that to inoculate 4 250ml jars of WBS.
photo_2017-04-05_02-14-48.jpg
Growth differed quite a bit between the 4 and the first one was fully colonized about a week ago.
The three remaining jars of WBS. One on the left was shook recently. Middle was shook yesterday. Right seems almost done.
photo_2017-04-05_02-14-43.jpg
I injected sterile, distilled water into that jar through the SHIP, shook it and then sucked it up again. I injected the water into another sterile jar.
photo_2017-04-05_02-14-52.jpg
I then used that solution to inoculate 12 quart jars. Those are now standing in a box in my room, still waiting for the first signs of growth.
photo_2017-04-05_02-14-56.jpg
When they’re done I hope to spawn them to a bulk substrate of coco coir and coffee. I’ll then case that with some pre-pasteurized casing material that I’ve ordered. For containers I’ll be using small growboxes like the one in the picture. I know they’re not ideal but space and financial constraints made them the best option (for now).
kweekkasje%20zaaibakje%20propagator02.jp

I've also ordered a LC of Galindoi which I'll expand with the same grain method and then use to innoculate large bags of WBS or Rye. Truffles seem to be a lot easier so we'll see how that goes.

Album with all pictures

What I hope to do in the near future:

I’d like to get a SAB and start working on my own spore prints and G2G transfers. I’d also like to learn more about cloning / finding a good substrain. That part is still a little fuzzy to me so I’ll keep reading.

What do you guys think? Any tips or ideas?

Edited by MrModeon, 04 April 2017 - 08:01 PM.

• fahtster, MLBjammer, spunforfun and 4 others like this

#2 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,194 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

I think you got some good shit going on right there ! 

High-Five   :biggrin: 

Looks very well thought out. I will follow along.

Welcome , good-luck etc

Edited by hyphaenation, 04 April 2017 - 08:10 PM.

• MLBjammer and spunforfun like this

#3 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,498 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:07 PM

Hey everyone,

I first (properly) used magic truffles a few months ago and fell in love right away. Growkits are legal in NL so I ordered a few of those to get a cheaper stash. Little did I know, mushrooms are interesting as hell. It didn't take long until I spent most of my free time looking at them grow, fanning, misting and of course reading lots and lots of stuff. I'm just now starting my first grow and I figured it was time to stop lurking and start contributing.

My progress so far:

I ordered a Cambodian spore solution from a Dutch webshop and used that to inoculate 4 250ml jars of WBS.
attachicon.gifphoto_2017-04-05_02-14-48.jpg
Growth differed quite a bit between the 4 and the first one was fully colonized about a week ago.
The three remaining jars of WBS. One on the left was shook recently. Middle was shook yesterday. Right seems almost done.
attachicon.gifphoto_2017-04-05_02-14-43.jpg
I injected sterile, distilled water into that jar through the SHIP, shook it and then sucked it up again. I injected the water into another sterile jar.
attachicon.gifphoto_2017-04-05_02-14-52.jpg
I then used that solution to inoculate 12 quart jars. Those are now standing in a box in my room, still waiting for the first signs of growth.
attachicon.gifphoto_2017-04-05_02-14-56.jpg
When they’re done I hope to spawn them to a bulk substrate of coco coir and coffee. I’ll then case that with some pre-pasteurized casing material that I’ve ordered. For containers I’ll be using small growboxes like the one in the picture. I know they’re not ideal but space and financial constraints made them the best option (for now).
kweekkasje%20zaaibakje%20propagator02.jp

I've also ordered a LC of Galindoi which I'll expand with the same grain method and then use to innoculate large bags of WBS or Rye. Truffles seem to be a lot easier so we'll see how that goes.

Album with all pictures

What I hope to do in the near future:

I’d like to get a SAB and start working on my own spore prints and G2G transfers. I’d also like to learn more about cloning / finding a good substrain. That part is still a little fuzzy to me so I’ll keep reading.

What do you guys think? Any tips or ideas?

If you use coffee grounds, sterilization will be in order IMHO.

https://mycotopia.ne...t-a-4-part-tek/

Welcome , good-luck etc

What he said ^^^ :biggrin:

• MLBjammer and tailsmcsnails like this

#4 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,867 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:47 PM

Howdy and welcome!

#5 MrModeon

MrModeon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:54 AM

Welcome , good-luck etc

Hey! Thanks! 

If you use coffee grounds, sterilization will be in order IMHO.

https://mycotopia.ne...t-a-4-part-tek/

Welcome , good-luck etc

What he said ^^^ :biggrin:

I was going to follow this tek for my substrate and sterilize it. Pasteurization looks interesting though, I'll keep that as an option. 

Howdy and welcome!

Hoi!

Does anyone know a Rye TEK comparable to Strobes WBS TEK v2.0? As in, no simmering or whatever just add water and in the PC. 

Edit: Found one. I'll try that for my truffle bags

Edited by MrModeon, 05 April 2017 - 03:59 AM.

#6 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:02 AM

That looks like a solid tek you linked.  Check out Wharfrat's work, as he uses coir and coffee grounds as well.  Definitely sterilize the coffee grounds.

You can simply add 1 cup of rye to 1/2 cup of water in a quart jar and PC at 15 PSI for 90 minutes.  Shake the jars well when the pressure drops in the PC to distribute moisture.

Good luck, man.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#7 MrModeon

MrModeon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:54 AM

That looks like a solid tek you linked.  Check out Wharfrat's work, as he uses coir and coffee grounds as well.  Definitely sterilize the coffee grounds.

You can simply add 1 cup of rye to 1/2 cup of water in a quart jar and PC at 15 PSI for 90 minutes.  Shake the jars well when the pressure drops in the PC to distribute moisture.

Good luck, man.

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep his tek in my back pocket. Seems like they have the same general idea though. 

The recipe is precisely what I was looking for, thanks! All that soaking just seems overkill to me. 

#8 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,867 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:20 AM

Good luck, man.

MLB turned me on to this no soak above with oats and I is SPOT on easy and effective!
  • MLBjammer and Arathu like this

#9 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,498 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:13 AM

Good luck, man.

MLB turned me on to this no soak above with oats and I is SPOT on easy and effective!

Just don't do no-prep with popcorn or WBS with any significant amount of cracked corn, trust me. :biggrin:

• MLBjammer likes this

#10 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 491 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:28 AM

Propagators (adapted, un-adapted) are a very cheap very usable indoor fruiting method.

Here I am using just the lid and a plastic tray that allows air in on two sides.

IMG_20170308_203218.jpg IMG_20170310_152836.jpg IMG_20170310_153007.jpg IMG_20170308_202805.jpg

Edited by Ferather, 05 April 2017 - 08:31 AM.

• MLBjammer likes this

#11 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 491 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:33 AM

You can mist the insides of the lid for extra indirect (no contact) humidity.

• MLBjammer likes this

#12 ljacve55

ljacve55

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:43 AM

Truffels are interesting,i ordered them fue times also from Ams.
Will grow them in the future but i want learn cubes first.I have heard that fruits are even better.You are only in truffles not the fruits?

Poslano sa mog SM-A300FU koristeći Tapatalk

#13 MrModeon

MrModeon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:55 AM

Just don't do no-prep with popcorn or WBS with any significant amount of cracked corn, trust me. :biggrin:

Hahaha, luckily I've only heard about the issues with cracked corn because my WBS mix is Millet, Milo and some Niger.

I've noticed that the Niger has the fastest signs of growth each time. Maybe a mix with more of it would improve my colonisation speeds. 

Propagators (adapted, un-adapted) are a very cheap very usable indoor fruiting method.

Here I am using just the lid and a plastic tray that allows air in on two sides.

You can mist the insides of the lid for extra indirect (no contact) humidity.

Looks very nice! I expect them to hold up well for me as well. Eventually I'll go to a portable greenhouse setup but that was just too much of an investment right away. 

Truffels are interesting,i ordered them fue times also from Ams.
Will grow them in the future but i want learn cubes first.I have heard that fruits are even better.You are only in truffles not the fruits?

I'm working on my first cube grow now, that's what the jars are all filled with. I'm still waiting for my truffle culture to come in (slow shipping) but when it arrives, I'll be growing them at the same time. Everything is still new so I want to try out a lot of the different options to see what I prefer. Since space is an issue, truffles seem extra enticing. They're completely legal and require no work so I can just store bags on the refrigerators of friends. 

Edited by MrModeon, 05 April 2017 - 08:56 AM.

• Ferather likes this

#14 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 491 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:57 AM

Good luck.

:biggrin:

#15 MrModeon

MrModeon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:10 AM

Another question just popped into my head: Would grains need to be washed before being used in truffle cultivation? Everything should be safe to eat but there might be pesticides or whatever on the kernels right?

#16 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,498 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:13 AM

there might be pesticides or whatever on the kernels right?

I certainly hope not.

#17 MrModeon

MrModeon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:26 AM

I certainly hope not.

I found this in an article about Polish agriculture: "The majority of rye plantations (77%) is not treated with any pesticide. Only 14% and 9% of plantations are treated twice (seed treatment with a pesticide and a herbicide application) and once, respectively"

I'll check with my supplier if they use pesticides or not but would you say that the pesticides wouldn't end up on the grain or what's your point? I'm sorry, I might be missing the point here completely.  :blush:

Edited by MrModeon, 05 April 2017 - 09:26 AM.

#18 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,498 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:52 AM

I certainly hope not.

I found this in an article about Polish agriculture: "The majority of rye plantations (77%) is not treated with any pesticide. Only 14% and 9% of plantations are treated twice (seed treatment with a pesticide and a herbicide application) and once, respectively"

I'll check with my supplier if they use pesticides or not but would you say that the pesticides wouldn't end up on the grain or what's your point? I'm sorry, I might be missing the point here completely.  :blush:

I'm just anti pesticide on edible grains or bird feed or human feed. That's all.  :biggrin:

• Arathu likes this

#19 MrModeon

MrModeon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:03 AM

I'm just anti pesticide on edible grains or bird feed or human feed. That's all.  :biggrin:

Ah ok! I'm with you there but buying my grains organic has a price ticket that I'm not willing to pay  :unsure:

#20 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 491 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:14 AM

Find a local general shop-mall or any shop that sells wild bird seeds in bulk (12-12.5kg) for me that costs £6.

I bet you can get cheaper than that, here is a better "premium" example, bird safe is good.

The mixed seed will also add variation in composition and ratios of nutrients.

Edited by Ferather, 05 April 2017 - 10:16 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!