115 replies to this topic

#101 MrModeon

MrModeon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:51 AM

You're very right, more seem to show up every time I check.  :wub:

I tried to take pictures of the same spots so you can follow the progress. 

photo_2017-05-11_17-48-09.jpg photo_2017-05-11_17-48-06.jpg

The little fella

photo_2017-05-11_17-48-03.jpg

And the overview

photo_2017-05-11_17-47-59.jpg

In other news:

I had my first bag/jar contamination.

photo_2017-05-11_17-52-37.jpg

I'm guessing it got infected during innoculation. For these bags I injected through the plastic and covered that with a piece of ducttape. The whole method didn't feel right to me so I've switched to another one. 

I read about people putting some silicone on the bag to inject through but having problems with it falling off. So I decided to apply a bit of silicone on the filter patch itself. The rough texture there allows it to stick much easier. I'm still waiting to see the first results though, I nocced some bags a few days ago so there should be growth pretty soon. 

In other, other news:

I'm wondering if the fuziness on top of my jar of Galindoi is another mold or just Galindoi myc. What do you guys think? Especially the part in the middle worries me. The substrate also cracked a few days after being put in the FC, which I figured was from it being able to expand but I'm not sure. 

photo_2017-05-11_17-59-58.jpg photo_2017-05-11_17-59-54.jpg photo_2017-05-11_17-59-49.jpg photo_2017-05-11_17-59-46.jpg

Sorry for the pics through plastic, I don't want to open it until I'm sure it's safe  :tinfoil:

Edited by MrModeon, 11 May 2017 - 11:03 AM.

#102 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

I love this advice from Sandman.......hahahahaha Have the Incredible Hulk throw that bag of green beast at the surface of the sun IMMEDIATELY.........

Get that WAY out of the area of this beautiful pinning tub.....and anything that looks like that or smells suspect too.......you do not want to open that or anything like it in your grow area

AND I still see many more primordia there so It's looking GREAT man.........

Nice job dude! It's on man...it is on!

A

Sorry for the pics through plastic, I don't want to open it until I'm sure it's safe

EXACTLY....no need to apologize.........good thinking..........

Edited by Arathu, 11 May 2017 - 11:04 AM.

• CatsAndBats and MrModeon like this

#103 MrModeon

MrModeon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:07 AM

I love this advice from Sandman.......hahahahaha Have the Incredible Hulk throw that bag of green beast at the surface of the sun IMMEDIATELY.........

Get that WAY out of the area of this beautiful pinning tub.....and anything that looks like that or smells suspect too.......you do not want to open that or anything like it in your grow area

AND I still see many more primordia there so It's looking GREAT man.........

Nice job dude! It's on man...it is on!

A

Sorry for the pics through plastic, I don't want to open it until I'm sure it's safe

EXACTLY....no need to apologize.........good thinking..........

No doubt, that bag went straight into the trash bins.

Thanks for the advice, I'll throw the jar out. Do you think it's cobweb? 

#104 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:22 AM

That doesn't really look like cobweb to me it looks like the mycelium from below making it's way into the casing.............

I could be wrong and if you suspect anything afoul get it isolated to another FC or don't hesitate to bail on it..........not with a pinning tub happening..... :biggrin:

Some folks will use a very dilute hydrogen peroxide misting (I've never been a fan of blasting my fungi with chemistry personally) lightly.........to try and "cure" the cobweb

If it were mine I'd have it isolated to a smaller FC, especially when in small jars since it's easy to move,  and make sure it gets ample FAE............plastic pretzel tubs and other small tubs are great for that.........

Get second opinions before doing anything rash though............ someone else is sure to be commenting on this soon.................

Edited by Arathu, 11 May 2017 - 11:56 AM.

• MrModeon likes this

#105 MrModeon

MrModeon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:16 PM

Oh hahaha :biggrin:  I thought you were talking about the jar. Little misunderstanding then. Either way, it's gone. It was leftover from other projects so not something to lose sleep over.

Having 6 tubs in the greenhouse might have made me a little overly cautious. I'm aware of the hydrogen peroxide but I'd rather not risk it with stuff like that. Starting over isn't that difficult so why not?

Another fun one; who wants to play 'spot the contamination'?

photo_2017-05-11_20-14-36.jpg

These were the result of me trying to clone a store bought truffle. There's no growth anywhere I didn't put a piece of truffle so at least I know my technique wasn't the problem. Seems weird that they all infected though, I took fresh pieces from the inside. 

#106 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:20 AM

Oh hahaha :biggrin:  I thought you were talking about the jar. Little misunderstanding then. Either way, it's gone. It was leftover from other projects so not something to lose sleep over.

Having 6 tubs in the greenhouse might have made me a little overly cautious. I'm aware of the hydrogen peroxide but I'd rather not risk it with stuff like that. Starting over isn't that difficult so why not?

Another fun one; who wants to play 'spot the contamination'?

attachicon.gifphoto_2017-05-11_20-14-36.jpg

These were the result of me trying to clone a store bought truffle. There's no growth anywhere I didn't put a piece of truffle so at least I know my technique wasn't the problem. Seems weird that they all infected though, I took fresh pieces from the inside. 

And what did we learn? :ohmy: 

Hahahahahaha............I got that one a long time ago myself...... :biggrin:  No big deal...we learn this way.........

CLONE: I try to take small pieces of material from the inside of a mushroom I'm attempting to clone while in HEPA air stream and go to agar plates with them. Once the fungi is growing on agar the same clean up and isolation procedures are followed from there. Wood loving mushrooms can be coaxed to grow on wetted cardboard and then expanded. Anything taken directly to grain including things we THINK are sterile has the potential for the GREEN beast and many other contaminants. 

I don't think truffles are going to be coaxed to grow anywhere except in a direct symbiotic relationship with tree's (although we can certainly dream) Better go for Oysters first...........IMHO  

More later....I gotta go get supplies...........

A

• MrModeon likes this

#107 MrModeon

MrModeon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:40 AM

And what did we learn? :ohmy:
Hahahahahaha............I got that one a long time ago myself...... :biggrin:  No big deal...we learn this way.........
CLONE: I try to take small pieces of material from the inside of a mushroom I'm attempting to clone while in HEPA air stream and go to agar plates with them. Once the fungi is growing on agar the same clean up and isolation procedures are followed from there. Wood loving mushrooms can be coaxed to grow on wetted cardboard and then expanded. Anything taken directly to grain including things we THINK are sterile has the potential for the GREEN beast and many other contaminants. 
I don't think truffles are going to be coaxed to grow anywhere except in a direct symbiotic relationship with tree's (although we can certainly dream) Better go for Oysters first...........IMHO  
More later....I gotta go get supplies...........
A

Should have been more clear but they were magic truffles, not regular ones. They sell them in stores in Holland. I didn't learn a lot yet, my assumption is that I have to find mostly intact truffles (they cut them up for packaging). That would make it easier to get a clean sample. Regarding your method, that's what I did. 8 dishes with agar of which 5 have now contaminated  :tongue: I had so much truffle left over that I thought I would also try to do some straight to grain. But clearly that didn't work. 

Back to the good stuff: 

Day 10:

photo_2017-05-14_17-37-41.jpg photo_2017-05-14_17-37-38.jpg photo_2017-05-14_17-37-31.jpg photo_2017-05-14_17-37-28.jpg

Day 12 (today):

photo_2017-05-14_17-37-24.jpg photo_2017-05-14_17-37-21.jpg photo_2017-05-14_17-37-18.jpg

• Arathu likes this

#108 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:52 AM

Looking great!

hahahahahahaha...Understood..........those truffles........I'm thinking mushrooms (not magic kind) that sell for prices higher than ANYTHING else.................... :biggrin:

THAT would be the ultimate in cultivation success............but these are great fun too........

A

#109 MrModeon

MrModeon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

Bad news  :sad: I was hit by the green beast and had to abort the grow. I still got a few hundred grams worth but would have liked my first grow to go a lot better. Live and learn I guess. This weekend the greenhouse is gonna get a nice bleach bath and then I'll put some new trays in there. I have two large ones and two small ones that are colonizing right now. 

• Arathu likes this

#110 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

Mycotopia's only leucistic cat and bat hybrid©

• OG VIP
  • 7,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:07 PM

Bad news  :sad: I was hit by the green beast and had to abort the grow. I still got a few hundred grams worth but would have liked my first grow to go a lot better. Live and learn I guess. This weekend the greenhouse is gonna get a nice bleach bath and then I'll put some new trays in there. I have two large ones and two small ones that are colonizing right now. 

Just be mindful that as soon as one sees green, those spores are everywhere.

Like this:

banner-powder.jpg

but instead of pretty powder, it's aggressive parasitic mold spores. So IMO one should launder the clothes/sheets/drapes, vacuum/mop, steam clean the ceiling, etc..

• Arathu likes this

#111 MrModeon

MrModeon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:39 AM

Just be mindful that as soon as one sees green, those spores are everywhere.

Like this:

but instead of pretty powder, it's aggressive parasitic mold spores. So IMO one should launder the clothes/sheets/drapes, vacuum/mop, steam clean the ceiling, etc..

I know man  :mellow: I think I'm going to wipe everything down with bleach and maybe get a paint roller and roll bleach on the walls and ceilings. I'll be moving in about a year anyway so I don't really care how it looks  :tongue:

• CatsAndBats likes this

#112 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:22 AM

Bummer man.........the green bastard!

I will be getting a bad ass OZONE generator for the lab...........one that requires humans leaving the place until the cycle is over............just in case......

It definitely happens, still it's a bummer every time.......like loosing a good friend..........

A

#113 MrModeon

MrModeon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:10 AM

Hey guys, I've been busy with other stuff so I haven't had time to do real posts here but things are moving along. I'm still working to perfect my techniques and schedules to maximize production. Butttt.. That's not why I'm posting. 

Have any of you ever had blue LC? :tongue:  This jar was made by injecting distilled water into a colonized WBS jar, shaking it and then sucking the mixture out again. 

photo_2017-06-07_13-08-46.jpg

It looks a lot like the color of bruising but I haven't seen anything like this before. Who can solve the mystery?  :tinfoil:

#114 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:10 AM

Smurf blood! 99.999999999% sure it's due to bruising. That's really the only logical explanation... unless your WBS has some kind of blue dye in it.

Faht

#115 MrModeon

MrModeon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:48 AM

Hehehe, I wouldn't think so.  :tongue: Bruising does indeed seem most likely. There's also some bacteria that would make water blue but that seems a little farfetched.   

• fahtster likes this

#116 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

Mycotopia's only leucistic cat and bat hybrid©

• OG VIP
  • 7,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:36 PM

Blue 'myc milk' is absolutely a thing. Hyph has mentioned/noted it. I've had it in LC that I've 'milked'. You're good Mr. Modeon.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!