Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Sharing what I am excited to have scavenged!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Spliff

Spliff

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 503 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:12 AM

Hello Topia,

I wanted to share with you all something that I am really excited about having found. I reckon if I am excited you might be, too!

20170408_155222rotated.jpg

(We are looking at the big white box, not the leveler).

What makes this so exciting?

20170408_155223rotated.jpg

It is a massive cool box. 

I found it being thrown out from a farm in my area, it is used to transport vaccines. Exterior dimensions are 1410H x 1180W x 975 D. It has insulating foam on all surfaces of 60mm, including the door panel which fits snugly, and is secured with Velcro.

It came with some additional goodies, really thick cardboard and additional spacing foam. As well as 21 ice bricks.

20170408_160059.jpg 20170408_160027rotated.jpg  20170408_155910.jpg

The possibilities! Ohhh the possibilities!

Whats even better...

20170408_155404.jpg

I have two of them. And will have access to an additional 2 boxes every 3 months. The farmer knows I want them, and will give me a call to dispose of them for him from here on.

I mean, the ice packs themselves could be sold on, or the boxes even broken down into excellent insulation paneling to line a room or something. And to think these were going to the tip!

• Heirloom Spores likes this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 2,917 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:30 AM

Nice Find! What kind of ideas do you have to do with them?

#3 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 358 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:10 AM

That's so cool. All I liberated today from council roadside pickup was a swivel chair and a bunch of shelving :-). What are you going to do with those boxes? I'd probably built a fort
  • coorsmikey, Alder Logs and Heirloom Spores like this

#4 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:49 AM

One might consider mushrooms that require some cold weather before they'll fruit...........

Actually anything that might need a simulated winter............ just a thought....

Cool stuff....literally............ :biggrin:

A

• Spliff and Heirloom Spores like this

#5 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• Free Member
  • 3,434 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:55 PM

Awesome score! It never ceases to amaze me what people will throw away. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
  • Spliff and Heirloom Spores like this

#6 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,280 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

It'd be purrfect for an overnight cool off for a TON of pasteurized substrate. Get the sub up to 180f and it'd prolly stay above 140f for many hours. Or make a great steam pasteurizer if one insists on more work :biggrin:

Edited by CatsAndBats, 08 April 2017 - 01:07 PM.

• coorsmikey and tailsmcsnails like this

#7 Spliff

Spliff

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 503 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:27 PM

What ideas do I have to do with them? That is a very good question.

When I first saw them my immediate thought was simply incubation chamber, but they would work for growing too.

Because it is foam I reckon it would be easy to work with, poking holes for pipes and lights and what not.

In a separate project I have been working on building a grow room that fits into a shipping container. The insulating of this adds an extra $1500 to my estimated costs, the most expensive part (excluding temp controls). So this solves that if I were to use the paneling from a broken down box/s for that.

CatsAndBats, that is a really good idea. You just gave me an "Ah ha!" moment.

Arathu, are you thinking I use the ice blocks that came with it? Sort of, insert when cold shock is needed? I do have a dirty print of Ps. subaeruginosa, which is a wood lover but I think requires the cold based on when I find it in the wild. The print would need some agar cleaning, that is a whole new project right there.

Can you clean using cardboard tek?

Dead Diver and Tails, maybe I am just a bit of a hoarder, and can't stand back to see a big box be thrown out. Perhaps sitting in it for a while will let the ideas come to me.

• tailsmcsnails likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!