• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:57 PM

Yeah... I live in Beer City USA. I'm not talking about just brewpubs here either. Of course there's plenty of those too, but I'm talking about breweries that distribute nationwide. This very awesome, and forward thinking city is also known as Tree City USA.  Needless to say... There's a hell of a lot of cars crashing into trees directly linked to the two previous city distinctions. This is an arborist heaven. I have a total of 87 trees in my 3/4 acre property alone. Huge Elms, Maples, and White Pines. A few Cedars. I planted most of them with my father 50 years ago. I truly love it here! There's lots of clean up after high winds, and ice storms, and in the fall, it's a lot of work! I only wish they would give tax credits for having so many carbon scrubbers in our yard! I'm thinking the next thing we're going to have the proud distinction of being here, is Song Bird City USA. Ha ha! Lots & lots of song birds. I love birds. I don't feed them, but for the most part admire seeing, and hearing them too. Out of all the birds songs I'd have to say my favorite is that of the Robins. In the mornings, it's a cacophony of song birds! Very pleasant coming down off a good midnight trip. Not so nice being awoken by Cardinals calling for their mates after a night of moderate, or slightly heavier drinking. And don't get me started about the crows! 

Well you may be wondering where this story is leading, and I understand. I am a little long winded. Last year I was my mothers sole caregiver as she passed from this world into the next. She didn't want to be taken from her home. I, myself, being an only child, couldn't refuse her final wish. Besides, I'd helped mom with dad's passing in 2005 in the same room of the home. So I moved in with mom last January. This is my childhood home, and I'm very familiar with it. As soon as I moved in here, I started noticing things that never happened before. Woodpeckers started drilling holes in the Cedar siding. The Squirrels were chewing on the siding also. All sorts of different birds started crashing into the windows, and dying. Birds started building nests in the eave troughs. With all the trees around here you'd think they'd nest in those. So I got a plastic owl, and hung lots of Mylar strips on the home. It  still didn't subside, or slow any of it down at all! I was very perplexed, and  frustrated! I asked all of my neighbors if they were having the same issues, and they all said no. Now here's the thing... I don't blame anyone for thinking I'm crazy. That's a given! Mom passed on April 23, on a beautiful sunny afternoon. It all mysteriously stopped immediately! This really blew my mind. Now, I'm not a religious man, even though I was raised Catholic. Nor do I subscribe to any sort of superstitions. However I would consider myself a spiritual person. One of the neighbors I had spoken to previously about this issue mentioned that birds were known harbingers of death. I told him that sounded quite absurd. He insisted it was in the bible. A couple of days later he came over with his old testament, and showed me where it says so. I'm not going to quote scripture here. Mostly because, as I'd stated previously. I am not a religious man. I'd have to admit the old testament has a lot of historical value. Mostly for Judaism. Christian religions read from it in their services also. I never could understand that one. I know the new testament is what Christianity is based on. Much of the old testament is very contradictory to Christianity, and the new testament. I would like to know if any of our members ever experienced this sort of phenomenon? I don't know how birds, or animals would know that there was a human dying inside a specific home, at a specific time? I don't recall anything like this when my dad passed. Mom said it started in October of 2015, but then she suffered from Lewy Body's syndrome which causes a type of dementia associated with the final stages of Parkinson's. So I never really believed her. Until I'd moved in with her. Does anyone have any explanations? 

• panaho likes this

#2 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,114 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:23 PM

No explanations whatsoever, but I do have an anecdotal experience to add. When my wife's brother was dying, my indoor cats killed two birds. How they got into our always closed house is a mystery as we never sit around with the doors open. Not sure how that is relevant but your experience brought it up in my memory.

Peace...

• phlegmbae and Skywatcher like this

#3 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:46 PM

after my grandmother passed i was hunting it was winter. i had a hummingbird just appear hoovering right in front of my face for about 10 seconds then it flew off. we don't have them here that time of year. my grandmother loved them and would sit and watch them for hours at her feeders.

Edited by stmhunter, 09 April 2017 - 05:47 PM.

• phlegmbae, Skywatcher and mjroom like this

#4 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,245 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:57 PM

I am sorry for your loss of your mother. She was fortunate to have you caring for her, which I know first hand is not an easy thing to do.

You said you were "spiritual" phlegmbae, so without trying to give any explanations from a religious reference, I can say without any doubt, that my experience in this life is that all animals, not just birds, sense illness and approaching death.

I have seen pets who undoubtedly "know" something is not the same, and react with more comforting type of attention to someone who is terminal. I saw this with my father and my mother both, and the cats they owned.

I have also seen dogs able to sense an approaching epileptic seizure, so much so, that I had one female lab, who would come and get me wherever I was with a very distinct bark, right before my older dog had a seizure. I have read about dogs being used as helpers with people with illnesses including epilepsy, because they get some kind of warning signal, that we do not perceive.

I practice Augary, so watching birds is part of my everyday habit. I see them act quite differently from the norm, for many reasons, and with practice can tell the indicators of many approaching things, death being one of them. Whenever I have lost a pet, the birds have crashed into windows and acted bizarre for several days prior. 

When my father was very near to passing, he actually knew himself, and told me to get a good night sleep because I would have a busy day tomarrow.

As I left that day to go home, I remember the huge amount of birds in the trees outside his house, carrying on and making a huge ruckus. I did not think about it until the next day when I got the call and went over to the house again.

I do not expect you to believe me when I say, some of us can see people as "energy bundles" at times. I have seen death quite a few times, and can see the energy start to unravel, coming apart,  when it starts. 

I believe animals and birds have senses most people do not, and can see, smell, or sense illness and death. I have seen this, and watched them react, so it is not hard for me at all to believe what you saw with the bird and animal behavior as completely believable.

No scripture needed, only personal experience.

• phlegmbae, Coopdog and mjroom like this

#5 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

"DOOR"

• Gold VIP
  • 498 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:08 PM

When I was pregnant with my middle child, tiny swallows which I had never seen before turned up in their hundreds to nest in the eaves of my house. Pots boiled on the stove with no fire. Other things that I've forgotten too, at the time I just refered to it as 'sparkle ' and it stopped after she was born. So not death related but liminal.

Edited by tailsmcsnails, 09 April 2017 - 07:30 PM.

• phlegmbae, Coopdog and Skywatcher like this

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:26 PM

I have a belief that animals are in tune with a larger spectrum of reality than most of us are. All of senses after a fashion are tuned to a "frequency", if you will, on the same scale. Sight, sound, etc, simply perceive a different wavelength. One of the things the "opening of perception" does is touch on a larger portion of that wavelength.
Lots of unusual occurrences in animals would seem to support a greater or at least different perception.
I've seen dogs and cats that obviously knew the end was near. On one occasion I watched the interaction of three cats. These cats were raised together, indoors, and had never had issues with each other when all at once two of them turned on the other, would not let her near them, had they been outdoor cats I'm sure they would have run her off. Within a week, she had a series of strokes and passed away. I think the others knew she was terminally I'll, even though there were no symptoms we could see.
I'm also sure we've all heard stories about animals actually saving people from impending earthquakes or tsunamis.
  • phlegmbae, Coopdog, Skywatcher and 1 other like this

#7 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:34 PM

I too am sorry for the loss of your mother. Mine passed on when I was only twelve and my maternal grandmother that same year. My best friend blew his brains out fucking around playing Russian Roulette. I served in the U.S. Army for a single hitch but long enough to see more death than I care to remember.............. I'm no stranger to it

Absolutely everything is connected in the web. We are immersed in energy fields, we have complex electrical systems built into us, we function from the lowest to the highest levels of organization in that manner. Most of it is sub conscious or unconscious and rarely enters our waking images. Charge in motion creates fields and fields in motion create charges.....Chemistry IS a charge balancing act, sub atomic particles are charge carriers ......I think that we humans have one of the absolute highest bandwidths available even though it is narrow when compared to electromagnetic spectrum, at least in potential anyway, and that we have suppressed these things over time through diet, "education" (I use that term almost sarcastically), chemistry, and very significantly by electrifying our environment with an almost inescapable 50/60 Hz electrical hum that now permeates our world. Significant amounts of particulate and gaseous "pollutants" also dull us down. Let alone the constant distractions of TV, smart phones, and as we are participating in here the internet. The sensory deprivation/modification drug industry is insanely altering out functionality. We've become so smart and learned that we've stopping listening to the universe around and in us .........IMHO

When going into the forest carrying a weapon, with the intent of killing, deer for example will react differently than when, while still armed in the same fashion, not intending upon killing them. I hunt for meat when I need to not as a sport. The same deer will walk right up to me if I'm there tripping balls on mushrooms completely unarmed.............that may just be subjective interpretation but then again I've been at it for almost forty years so I have a little experience with it. Many of the other critters do so as well in my own subjective observations. 

I personally am not surprised at all by the birds and other animals reactions. I think it quite probable that exactly that was happening and then some. Check out the Elephants that held funeral for Lawrence Anthony...apparently true...the story is incredible to me but again I'm not overly surprised. Crows are some the most intelligent animals we know of. They use reasoning, memory, and generational teaching and will not forget your face good or bad. Blue Jays, and yes my beloved robins that come and sing while I play my guitar and flute in the back yard. 

I wish you healing as you transition to life without your mother....you have done a great thing to help her and the critters know it. IMHO they told you so and also helped her along the new way.........

Peace and comfort to you............

A   

Edited by Arathu, 09 April 2017 - 10:37 PM.

• phlegmbae, Coopdog, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#8 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:05 AM

I have seen the ravens perch above an old mans house, who was my neighbor, before he died. One morning I even saw one swoop down, land on his porch, and peck at his door.

Also, if a nursing home has cats as facility pets, they tend to migrate to, and hang out in the rooms of those that are about to pass.

Animals definitely have some type of ESP when it comes to death....

• phlegmbae, Coopdog and Skywatcher like this

#9 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the condolences. It's not really why I posted this. I'm very interested in mechanisms. I honestly wonder how this type of animal behavior works. No... I don't think it has anything to do with religion. Just that it was recorded by man so long ago is why I'd mentioned what the neighbor had shown me in the bible. It's also well known in Native American lore too. Birds inside houses is another one.

Since I've started thinking about this more, I realize there were many more similar occurrences in my life. One that sticks out is an old friend who's passed many years back. His name was Chuck, and he was almost a musical genius. He could play the Mandolin, among many other instruments, like nobody's business! His wife, Betsy is an excellent Pianist, and Flautist. One day we were out on his back porch enjoying his Mandolin playing, and some of his excellent herb that he grew himself,  he'd called "Purple Jimmy" . And I'll be damned if 3 beautiful Ruby Throated Emerald hummingbirds flew up, & hovered no more than a foot away from the hole in his Mandolin! They stayed right there as long as he'd played. Even though we were all laughing at the spectacle unfolding before us! The 3 of us, Chuck, Betsy, & I thought it had something to do with the vibration, or the Purple Jimmy. It was awesome. I only wish we'd had cell phones back then, with video capability. It was simply amazing. We were astonished, to say the least. He'd stop, they'd fly off. He'd start, and again they'd be right there. Very shortly after this happened he was diagnosed with terminal liver cancer, and passed pretty quickly. Up until now, I never looked at it as an omen of his impending departure from this world. Now I really wonder? I've remained friends with Chucks widow Betsy all these years. I haven't seen her since mom passed, but I will have to take a drive up there, and explain what was happening prior to her passing. And bring up the day of the humming bird visit.

Many things in our world are not for us to understand, but there is definitely something to this. Life's for learning, and making our loved ones happy while we ply our way through our own short existence

Edited by phlegmbae, 12 April 2017 - 02:22 PM.

• Arathu, Skywatcher, mjroom and 1 other like this

#10 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,114 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:45 AM

I am currently reading a couple of very interesting books. One of them is called Our Invisible Bodies. I had no idea that our perceptions can only see and understand about 1% of our current state of reality, and that is just what they have verified through scientific methods. Our bodies are indeed made up of energy, and we also have several etheric bodies that are only slightly different from the physical one we can perceive with our weak senses.

Interesting book and it related to what Skywatcher said about us being energy bundles. More true than I would have thought even though I have always said similar things.

Some awesome stories in this thread. Thank you all for these.

Peace...

• phlegmbae, Arathu, Skywatcher and 1 other like this

#11 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:02 AM

Coop and anyone else interested ........ along the same lines check out "Plant Intelligence and the Imaginal Realm" by Stephen Harrod Buhner

He talks about sensory gating, among many other things, where we filter out most of the stimuli pouring into and out of us so that we don't get overwhelmed by it.......

Another interesting point is the truth that we are not one organism but made up of a huge number, most of them microscopic, acting as one

It is an interesting read and I'm reading it a second time around myself.......good stuff

A

• Skywatcher likes this

#12 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,245 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

Humming birds are an amazing spirit animal guide. They have been journey guides for me for almost 20 years now. I love the story with the mandolin. Since all is vibration, why should they not be attracted and enjoy the playing as well?

They bring love from those on the other side among many other strengths and gifts. I would be more inclined to think that loved ones were in their small way, welcoming, and sharing that there is no fear in the crossing, and there would be friends and family to welcome.

Who does not feel joy when these tiny jewels come to visit, so free from any fear, and drink the nectar of life with enjoyment of the moment? 

• phlegmbae and Arathu like this

#13 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:18 AM

The local robins will come and sit in the tree's around me in the back yard and just sing away, that morning song they do, as I play my guitar.......

So the connections are, or at least can be, way deeper than just an indication of death. As a species I think we really need to start paying attention........

Plants are also very sensitive too.......good subject right here....... imagine if we all had the freedom to deeply explore these things...... 

In place of the daily moment to moment distractions and things we "have" to do................

I could see myself moving to a much "simpler" lifestyle on my little mostly suburban (outskirts) homestead............

A

Edited by Arathu, 13 April 2017 - 09:19 AM.

• phlegmbae and jkdeth like this

#14 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 792 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

My dream is self sufficiency on a homestead of my own. Maybe not a complete disconnect from society, but the freedom to exist without without need for it.
  • phlegmbae and Arathu like this

#15 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:11 AM

My dream is self sufficiency on a homestead of my own. Maybe not a complete disconnect from society, but the freedom to exist without without need for it.

I would like to see this become civic duty..........everywhere...........and reduce the demand for living "things" to basically nothing.

I want to see a ban on grass alright.....the kind you have to mow.................. :biggrin:

But I'll never shoot people or put them in cages because they won't listen.........I will let my raspberries grow outside the property lines though..........

A

• phlegmbae and jkdeth like this

#16 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 792 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

Amazing how quick the populace forgets, some degree of self sufficiency was a standard, say 40 or so years ago. I grew up with gardens and chickens and smokehouses. Garden produce was also freely shared with just about anybody who asked.
It was also a pretty common practice, if you had land, you planted fruit trees and grape vines.
A little further back, my family collected wild honey, and my grandmother was called a bee charmer, she could reach into a hive and get the queen, and walk the hive to a waiting "customer" ready to care for the hive.

#17 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,114 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

Arathu I just placed my order for it. Thank you! Right at the moment I am reading three fascinating books all relevant to this. One is the Quantum Enigma, about how quantum physics and theory keep coming back to intelligent involvement in our reality. One called Our Invisible bodies about how much of our reality is invisible to us and our etheric bodies and their subtle effects on our reality, and one called the Biology of belief that is basically about how our reality is effected by our attention to it. My boss gave me all three books for my birthday, and they were the best present I got lol. I love metaphysical books. Sorry if this post was off topic a bit.

Peace...

• Arathu likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!