• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 ChimX

ChimX

Spiritual Forager

• Free Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:42 PM

For those who are 'supposed' to be taking it, the withdrawal symptoms associated with inadequate dopamine production do not happen. Also, it has the opposite effect (calms rather than stimulates) and those who are calmed by Adderall also tend to be amped-up/stimulated by opiates (so if opiates act like speed for someone then they can likely take Adderall without the negative effects on dopamine production experienced by those who take it as a stimulant).

That was a fascinating write up TV, and spot on. I've got ADHD-PI and have (supposed to have) been taking Ritalin and anti-depressants for several years.

My biggest problem is that I can never remember to take them. They work really well when I do, but normally I take my first dose in the morning, get distracted, and forget to take them for the rest of the day. Often times, I'll forget for days on end or even up to a week.

When I first began I was really consistent, but after 10-11 months when I started forgetting to take them, I never felt any withdrawal symptoms. I should start setting my 'meds' alarm again. I'll probably have forgotten to do so by the end of this post...

I also don't feel any strong 'up' effect with them. My head is really clear and I can focus long enough to tear through a good book. My memory is sharply increased as well and I remember names, dates and figures that I'd normally never recall. Still, if I take two Ritalin and fail to get out of bed, even after they've taken effect, I'll fall right back asleep.

Funny how they seem to effect people so very differently.

Metta
-ChimX
  • TVCasualty likes this

#22 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,877 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:15 PM

What's the "PI?"   I too am ADHD, and was before there was that diagnosis.   I got my scrip for Ritalin when I was 23, from a shrink who'd made it his specialty and was considered foremost in the field in 1970.  I got a side affect that was the feeling of falling forward, like I was about to do a serious face plant.  I quit taking it and some speed freak girls that came over took my whole stash out of the medicine cabinet.  

I never could remember names or numbers all my life.   I have no organizational chops, whatsoever.  That, and being a hoarder, you can imagine the mess I live in, and how much of my time is spent looking for what I know I have, but don't know where it's buried.    I am trying to do a simple little procedure for my acupuncturist/Chinese medicine doc that he says must be done for 21 straight days. Yesterday I made my 6th restart.  He gave me this assignment when I asked what could be done to make me want to do my Qi Gong that he really wants me to do.   I have never liked doing exercises.   If I am moving, I want something to show for the time spent.  So I sit on my ass and write posts.  Henh.

Edited by Alder Logs, 12 April 2017 - 10:36 PM.

• ChimX likes this

#23 ChimX

ChimX

Spiritual Forager

• Free Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:22 PM

Heya Alder,

ADHD-PI means I've got ADHD but I can still work as a private investigator...JK! The PI stands for predominantly inattentive.

In this case, hyperactivity is often less prominent or entirely absent. It's sometimes comorbid with lethargy and fatigue which is definitely my case. If I don't stay on top of things, I can easily sleep for 16-18 hours a day. When I am awake (with no medication), I'm in a thick fog all day, even after having slept for 10 hours. It's like trying to function wearing a wet blanket inside my head. My mind wanders where it will and I daydream endlessly. If I take 2 Ritalin but don't get out of bed, I'll still fall right back asleep, even if the effects have already kicked in.

If I'm doing something I have an obsessive passion for (mycology, etc), I zone in really well, but I'll forget to do the most basic things, like eating. Appointments, schedules, and routines...forget about it. I procrastinate, hesitate and forget absolutely everything.

The first time I took Ritalin I was completely blown away. I remember thinking "Is this what normal people feel like all the time?". I could think so clearly, even about things I had no interest in. I was shocked by how much I'm capable of remembering, from things I've read, people's names, daily routines etc. Childhood memories came rushing back that I didn't even know I had.

Even after 8 years of taking the medication, it still has the same effect, as long as I can remember to take it. It has an exhausting effect too though. It's as if my brain is unaccustomed to so much activity after a lifetime of slumber and I often crave that inactivity, which is probably another reason I stop taking it sometimes. But most of the time, it's simply because I forget to.

Metta
-ChimX

(Edit: This post would've been 10x more coherent and articulate if I were correctly taking my meds lol)

Edited by ChimX, 12 April 2017 - 08:33 PM.

#24 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,877 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:59 PM

It sounds, Chim, as if we have much in common with our brain chemistries.  My surroundings, I like to joke, are a monument to 70 years of untreated ADHD.  

The PI stands for predominantly inattentive.

What was that again?

My Chinese medicine doc took away my espresso a year and a half ago (when I started seeing him about what has been diagnosed as Lyme disease), which I have used as my medication for years.  I have been wanting to read some books lately so have been cheating with the coffee a little.  If I don't fire up the espresso pump, I might chew up ten or twelve beans with a few cacao nibs to get the brain waves to where I stay with the words on the page while I read, instead of some weird ass thought stream unrelated to what is on the page while my eyes continue following the lines.  

When I was a kid, my parents did everything they could to keep me from drinking their coffee, which they both drank black (the way I have always liked it).  They were terrified of me drinking coffee, assuming I would be yet a bigger handful if I was wired.  I remember drinking a half a cup and almost immediately conking out on the couch.  I slept for shit when I was a kid.   I couldn't get to sleep, and they couldn't get me up.  But just a taste of coffee and I was out cold.   My mom was a registered nurse, and I remember her giving me half a phenobarbital sleeping pill when I had an earache one time.  It was horrible, as it made me climb the walls in my dark bedroom.   I've never liked ups or downs.  I preferred the infinite sideways of acid and shrooms.

I was lysdexic too, so I flunked everything in school.  I could sleep a lot too, but with my prostate getting me up every couple of hours, it's now which wake up is going to start lines of thought the keep sleep from returning.  Some nights I get eight hours.  Some I get three or four and lie there for two and get up, only to crash again after I eat something.   If it's not cold and rainy and I get into something outside or in the shop, I do what you do, and super focus and miss meals.

So, we should become licensed PIs, eh? 

Edited by Alder Logs, 12 April 2017 - 11:04 PM.

• ChimX and CatsAndBats like this

#25 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 358 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:42 AM

Heya Alder,

ADHD-PI means I've got ADHD but I can still work as a private investigator...

dear mods I need to report a user for making me spit food all over my computer. please help

• ChimX likes this

#26 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:42 AM

Heya Alder,

ADHD-PI means I've got ADHD but I can still work as a private investigator...

dear mods I need to report a user for making me spit food all over my computer. please help

Hahahahahahaha.........................splatter incident............

For me personally.............one relationship is way more than enough.........

And I'm certain that I'm difficult to live with..........I still have yet to find a Dr. that I trust (but I'm also sure that's me as well)

I wouldn't do what you suggest personally and I am also leery of Dr's that just write scrips..................

Just my couple of pfennig...................

• ChimX likes this

#27 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 358 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:28 PM

Alder said:'I've never liked ups or downs. I preferred the infinite sideways of acid and shrooms.'

What a perfect way to explain it!! Going thru all the medicines I've tried, my brain reads them all as uppers (even mdma) or downers (even cannabis) except for acid and mushrooms!! And dmt of course, that really is the Big Sideways.

I'm stealing this, sorry.
  • ChimX, Alder Logs and Spooner like this

#28 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,877 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:39 PM

Stop, thief! 

(Like most of my jokes, eh?)

If you find pot to be a down, as do I, you might be hypoglycemic too.  Ask the emeritus professor of endocrinology, if she's not vacationing in the islets.  Strong pot sends me into insulin shock.  Very psychedelic, but I never can remember more than just wanting very badly to remember.

Edited by Alder Logs, 20 April 2017 - 07:44 PM.

• ChimX and tailsmcsnails like this

#29 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 358 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

That is super interesting because the experiences I have had with or because of cannabis since starting to take mushies or acid have been very very strange. Sideways strange.
  • ChimX, Alder Logs and OldBear like this

#30 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,877 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:36 PM

My last such THC experience was one third of a brownie someone gave me that left me in my teevee chair, going in and out of consciousness.   I could not move from the chair.  I remember that I closed my eyes during a couple of commercial cycles and was totally grooving on the colored light from the screen that was making it through my eyelids.  After the second ad break I could no longer open my eyes at all.  There were fantastic sensations as I wove along the edge of glucose starvation in my brain (Best Performance by a Pancreas in a Supporting Role).   It seemed there were great insights and these I especially wanted not to forget, though that's precisely what I did.  I remember only that much.  I think I went into that state about eight pm and didn't have the oomph to get out of the chair and go to bed until three hours later.  When I woke up next morning, all the brilliant epiphanies were gone.  I am glad I didn't eat a whole brownie.

Edited by Alder Logs, 20 April 2017 - 11:37 PM.

• ChimX likes this

#31 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 358 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:40 PM

My last such THC experience was one third of a brownie someone gave me that left me in my teevee chair, going in and out of consciousness.   I could not move from the chair.  I remember that I closed my eyes during a couple of commercial cycles and was totally grooving on the colored light from the screen that was making it through my eyelids.  After the second ad break I could no longer open my eyes.  There were fantastic sensations as I wove along the edge of glucose starvation in my brain (Best Performance by a Pancreas in a Supporting Role).   It seemed there were great insights and these I especially wanted not to forget, though that's precisely what I did.  I remember only that much.  I think I went into that state about eight pm and didn't have the oomph to get out of the chair and go to bed until three hours later.  When I woke up next morning, all the brilliant epiphanies were gone.  I am glad I didn't eat a whole brownie.

That is amazing... I feel kind of vindicated because cannabis knocks me around WAY more than it should, based on what I see in other people.  It also acts as a multiplier *1000 on whatever I take with it.  And that feeling of deja vu- it drives me CRAZY.  CRAAAAZY.  I've never heard anyone else mention it (even tho you don't use those words, but that feeling of struggling to remember?) is exactly what I encounter to the point where it distracts me from the actual experience.  W.O.W. lots to think about.  

• ChimX and Alder Logs like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!