• 3,245 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:25 AM

DNC Says They Can Bypass Voters & Pick Nominee

Florida Democrats are suing the DNC in court for cheating

Bernie voters who contributed to the party expecting fairness

(as is required by party by-laws)

[Direct Link]

Forgive me as I have not watched the video so I may be difficult to understand until I take the foot out of my mouth...

Presuming I understand, based solely on the description given, where can I file my counter claim? I'd like to get any taxpayer dollars from this ridiculous lawsuit reimbursed to the payees. I'm making the claim that anyone with that low of voter IQ deserves whatever they get. Put down your emotions and pick up a book.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#22 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,264 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:02 AM

Forgive me as I have not watched the video...pick up a book.

IMHO it is not enough to pick up a book, you must read and consider the contents.  The same concept should apply to video's...

• August West and Alder Logs like this

#23 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• Black VIP
  • 10,082 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:20 AM

Sorry, I don't have the written transcript of the video.  I see now that my heading was somewhat ambiguous.  It was the Democrats who donated to the DNC.  It's in the DNC's by-laws that Democratic Party candidates will receive fair and impartial support from the DNC.  The DNC has admitted to having a rather low bar as to that fairness thang.  

The whole point is, of the two major parties, the one concerned, while it may not be the one you'd like to reform, is the one in question here.   The idea some of us have is if we can't make it something like a people's party, then we need abandon it in mass and start a new party, like bees swarming, taking the old queen (Bernie) and workers with us.   Let the few unchangeable crony capitalist corporate Dems have their irrelevant party, while those who will eschew bribery crowd-fund their new start; a people's party with true populist ambitions.   It's a big game and if there's a chance to change how it's being played, it's something to try.   It can't get much worse than it's become.

• Sidestreet, Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#24 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,082 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:24 AM

If you want a different perspective on Syria

listen to this woman:

[Direct Link]

• Sidestreet likes this

#25 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,166 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

Queen Bernie..... That leaves a vivid mental image......
  • Sidestreet and Spooner like this

#26 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,245 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

Forgive me as I have not watched the video...pick up a book.

IMHO it is not enough to pick up a book, you must read and consider the contents.  The same concept should apply to video's...

Aha! Zinger! That's why I put my protective caveat shield on, Spooner...and yes, obviously one must be near, then pick up, then read, then comprehend, then integrate books for it to be a useful activity.

Sorry, I don't have the written transcript of the video.  I see now that my heading was somewhat ambiguous.  It was the Democrats who donated to the DNC.  It's in the DNC's by-laws that Democratic Party candidates will receive fair and impartial support from the DNC.  The DNC has admitted to having a rather low bar as to that fairness thang.  

The whole point is, of the two major parties, the one concerned, while it may not be the one you'd like to reform, is the one in question here.   The idea some of us have is if we can't make it something like a people's party, then we need abandon it in mass and start a new party, like bees swarming, taking the old queen (Bernie) and workers with us.   Let the few unchangeable crony capitalist corporate Dems have their irrelevant party, while those who will eschew bribery crowd-fund their new start; a people's party with true populist ambitions.   It's a big game and if there's a chance to change how it's being played, it's something to try.   It can't get much worse than it's become.

No apologies necessary, obviously. Besides, if I were too drunk to watch the video I sure as hell wasn't going to read about it.

Now though, since I have watched the video - yep, my same response replies. And, your heading wasn't really ambiguous. To the point - the idea that Democrats are surprised at the DNC's actions, indicates low voter IQ. I'm sorry but if anyone thought that Bernie Sanders was going to get an even hand with Hillary Clinton hasn't picked up a book or, as Spooner suggested, applied any active literacy to any book they have picked up.

"The idea some of us have is if we can't make it something like a people's party, then we need abandon it in mass and start a new party"

I think you're way past the "then" phase. Anyone still waiting to abandon "the party", get's whatever angst they deserve. I look forward to hearing about some real, effective actions that don't depend on asking the courts to rule against their bosses.

Edited by August West, 05 May 2017 - 10:29 AM.

• Spooner likes this

#27 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,082 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:37 PM

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

#28 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,743 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

One day perhaps enough of us will wake up so that we all just ignore these power brokers.

It's hard to be a controller, if nobody cares what you say, and there is no one to power your armies, your police, your jailers.

Alas, it seems so few get this.
  • Arathu likes this

#29 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,082 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:19 PM

So, here's a good window into how the powers against democracy work:

[Direct Link]

#30 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,743 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:44 AM

What we are witnessing is the "ratchet effect"...

The Dems pretend to represent "the people", while the Repubs pretend to represent "true freedom"...

Of course the both forget to mention that they both represent "their people and their freedom"... None for us "plebs"...

So one side "wins" for awhile, spreading their slick lies and grab a little bit more of our substance... Then the other side "wins" and grabs a little more. First from the right, then from the left. Back and forth...

Ratchet... You and I? We lose everytime.

Somehow we need to throw a monkey wrench into the ratchet mechanism.

First we need to understand why this works. Primarily I see that there are two distinct "general pools of political thought" within the general populace, if you will allow...

1.) Economic freedom, but social control. This would best be called "the right" for lack of better term, and could be described as "let me do with my money as I want, but don't let them gays marry, and weed is evil devil's parsley!"

2.) Social freedom, but economic control, which we will loosely call "the left". This pool can be described as: "Let people live as they want, but we need to dictate how you can spend your money, run your business, and we will tax the piss out of to you fund various things..."

I realize these are extremely general descriptions. But I want to illustrate a point: these "political memes" are used by both sides in their pretend show as they take both our economic AND social freedoms.

Make no mistake. There is only one party, and Eisenhower warned us about the political, corporate, military complex.

Here it is folks, the DemocraticRepublican party.

All for them...none for you.

It wasn't always this way. At the founding, and shortly thereafter, the Federal government did very little, basically existing to defend the country, and settle disputes amoungst states. Congess met only briefly each year and the representatives stayed in their states. The state governments, closer to the people, was supposed to make law for the people of the state, the local and municipalities having the heaviest burden of law as they were the closest to the people.

Now, all the power is concentrated at the Fed, and run by the Oligarchs.

Upside down.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 08 July 2017 - 08:17 AM.

• Arathu and Skywatcher like this

#31 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,324 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

IMAGINE............................................John Lennon

We need another party, One that believes that holding an elected office is a privilege, to do your best for all the people.

One that does not believe in holding congress hostage until you get your special needs met, and refuses to be bought by special interests.

One that sees ALL the people as one people, with many ideas and thoughts, not as us against them.

We need compassion to be worth much more than profit...............

It's all a dream. Can you build a new Atlantis? A new way to govern without first demolishing the old corrupt system? 

Maybe we do need a new Queen Bernie................................Is that enough?

• Sidestreet and SteampunkScientist like this

#32 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,082 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:29 AM

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.   I sent some cash to Jimmy Dore.   I find his analysis to be spot on most of the time. 

[Direct Link]

#33 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,082 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:48 AM

[Direct Link]

#34 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,082 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:09 AM

Save Net Neutrality

[Direct Link]

• Sidestreet likes this

#35 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,082 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:07 AM

How Amazon Crushes Local Economies & Gets Tax Breaks To Do It

[Direct Link]

#36 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,264 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

The Capitalists will sell us the rope with which we will hang them.

Unreliably attributed to Lenin, but seems to fit here.

#37 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,743 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:14 PM

The Capitalists will sell us the rope with which we will hang them.

Unreliably attributed to Lenin, but seems to fit here.

But Amazon isn't pure capitalism, is it? No, what we have here is the cancerous form. The kind that has strayed from selling goods and services at rate dictated by the market.

Because it now controls aspects of government through the use of monitory pressure, it now arranges advantages for itself.

But my dad was a capitalist. He owned the town grocery store. Put half the towns teenagers to work for forty years.

We actually sold rope, by the way.

#38 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,610 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:35 AM

I wonder whether pure capitalism could ever exist in practice.  For now, regulations distort prices either by constraining owners or giving them an unfair advantage.  Without them, though, wouldn't monopolists run rampant?  Would not work conditions and standards of living return to early industrialist levels?  These are things we know to be possible or even likely because they existed.

Of course, we've seen how terrible communism can be in practice.

"There's politics in theory, and then there's politics in practice. In practice, rarely is anything considered as pure as the theory. Humans tend to add too many unpredictable variables."  -Random internet guy

The problem isn't what theory is put into practice; the problem is the kind of people who seek power.  If we can somehow change that, it won't matter what theory is put into practice.

Alder: going back to Eva Bartlett above, I watched most of that video and looked around a bit and I find her to be pretty credible.

Edited by Sidestreet, 24 July 2017 - 06:18 AM.

#39 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,082 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:08 AM

...wouldn't monopolists run rampant?

Seriously?  Stock ownership protects the identities of the oligarchs, and just how many monopolists do we need to call it a monopoly?   Whether its a few thousand (or hundred) individuals on the boards of all the major transnationals, or it's just Jeff Bezos having collected it all, commerce and economy already are being consolidated.  All business districts are looking the same, all their media reads from the same script.  Monopoly is only getting sloppier at hiding behind Coke or Pepsi.   It appears that in the wake of deregulation, little will for re-regulation exists.  

Just under fifty years ago, I was a baby wage slave for a Bell System's company, Pacific Tel & Tel.  One of our splicers accidentally cut the wrong cable, putting a building of Space General Corporation off the telephone grid for a time.   So, a subsidiary company of the General Corporation (I believe at the time that included General Tire, RKO General, Aerojet General, Space General, etc.) sued a subsidiary company of AT&T (before its so-called break-up, when it held the lion's share of the American telephone infrstucture).   What came out of the case was a revelation that the boards of the two companies involved were the same, save a seat or two.   The oligarchs were suing themselves on paper.   Would they have to move money from one pocket of their tuxedos to another?

The problem isn't what theory is put into practice; the problem is the kind of people who seek power.  If we can somehow change that, it won't matter what theory is put into practice.

There is only one person we have any right or ability to change.   Pointing at "them" is a tendency in us, and if Einstein's definition of insanity holds, we better be about changing what we can.  

Edited by Alder Logs, 24 July 2017 - 09:09 AM.

#40 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,082 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:50 AM

[Direct Link]

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!