#581 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,784 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:06 PM

So I thought I would mix it up a little and look at some other comedic work.  Samantha Bee is sometimes a little crass for my taste, but I generally still enjoy her work.

[Direct Link]

• Myc likes this

#582 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:17 PM

I do hope the change of page doesn't stop people from hearing that interview I just posted, as I think it contains necessary understanding of our common situation.  Here's the link [https://www.youtube....v=23Dc2ZfpKmo].

#583 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,784 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2019 - 07:15 PM

I'm was not trying to hide your post, Alder.  That was just they way it worked out.   I dont like JD, and I wont watch it, but more to power to those of you that enjoy his flavor of cool-aid.  I dont discourage you, and I wont try and stop you

So for those of you that may have been robbed of seeing it due to my post rolling over the page, here you go again.

Peace

[Direct Link]

• Alder Logs likes this

#584 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 415 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:32 PM

I got halfway through it before other things stole the spotlight. Definitely some interesting stuff in that video though, I would recommend watching it. 

• Alder Logs likes this

#585 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:35 PM

I'm actually a third of the way through my second time.  Dylan Ratigan actually got me to a much better understanding of how the 2008 crash worked.  The fact that he was on the inside of high end corporate media and walked away from it totally sets him apart.  He seems a very happy self possessed guy.  I enjoyed all of it, the light and the full bodied parts.

#586 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,891 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:20 PM

I have to say that my favorite moment began at 1:32:25 and runs from there.

It is encouraging to hear someone suggest something other than "we're fucked".

Ratigan points out that Risk and Opportunity are equal.

We stand just as much chance of affecting a positive change as we do of being "fucked".

Edited by Myc, 24 November 2019 - 01:05 PM.

• Alder Logs likes this

#587 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:17 PM

We stand just as much chance of affecting a positive change as we do of being "fucked".

In our physical relationship to the biosphere, it could well be a little late, having a firm grasp on our ankles, as it seems.  But then, I could become a respected elder in some stone age restart, being worshiped and honored for having been such a hoarder of seemingly worthless junk.  All  those readings of Worlds In Collision show me that Square One has been a repetitive theme in our feeble quests for civilized civilizations.

#588 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:20 AM

It's a funny thing that comedians seem to be the only independent critical thinkers left in the main stream.. They are the few that are still allowed to shine a different light on big issues, because comedy is considered an art form which is not to be taken too seriously.  That seems to be changing though, comedians are silenced left and right and to become popular they have no choice but to self-sensor on certain topics, otherwise the media will make them seem ridiculous in some way - or the only way to get attention as a critically thinking comedian is to seem ridiculous and they are digging their own graves.

This is of course prevalent in the US but it happens in the Netherlands as well, we're highlly influenced by US' social developments. More and more people love to point out in others what they shouldn't say or how they shouldn't act. Some really critical thinkers here have silenced themselves because of this development, and that it exactly what we don't need.

Most people are too shortsighted or focused on their troubles to think for themselves so they will follow the main stream consensus about what is allowed to be put out there or not. It's quite paradoxical that they will follow the media on suggestions what comedians are not to be taken seriously, because exactly those comedians serve the same function of forming thoughts for others who can't or don't dare to think critically for themselves.

I'm not sure whether and how this will end or if it was ever any different. Might be a thing of all times, and it keeps repeating in some way or another.

Almost seems like a natural part of social evolution.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 25 November 2019 - 04:22 AM.

• Alder Logs likes this

#589 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:22 PM

Speaking of self-censorship, it almost breaks my heart to see what Colbert became after he went for the big establishment money. 

#590 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,784 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:15 PM

Just because you dont like the message that he is sending is not enough to make it untrue, Alder.   I believe that Colbert honestly believes in the agenda that he sends.

BTW, JImmy dore's net worth is over 5X greater then the average american of his age group.  But him being a successfully aspiring  capitalist doesn't affect my opinion of him,  I've never liked him anyway.

#591 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 09:30 AM

Hey pharmer, here's a law professor citing and quoting Sir Thomas Moor at the impeachment hearings.

[Direct Link]

• Myc likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!