Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

New drug czar wants to RE-criminalize marijuana, forcing non-violent offenders to go to rehab or prison.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:26 PM

The new White House drug czar has quite an idea for where to put nonviolent drug users

By Christopher Ingraham April 12 at 5:00 AM

Rep. Tom Marino (R-Pa.) will be President Trump's drug czar, according to a report from CBS News. Marino's congressional voting record is that of a hard-liner on marijuana issues, and he recently said that he'd like to put nonviolent drug offenders in some sort of “hospital-slash-prison.”

As drug czar, Marino would oversee the Office of National Drug Control Policy, a branch of the White House that advises the president on drug policy issues. More than anything else, the office sets the tone of an administration's drug policy. Under President Barack Obama, for instance, the office quite publicly retired the phrase “war on drugs,” preferring rhetoric centered more on public health than criminal justice.

Whether that approach continues is something of an open question. Former drug czars from a more militant drug policy era have been publicly agitating to “bring back the war on drugs.” Trump's attorney general, Jeff Sessions, is moving to put criminal justice back at the forefront of drug policy. Sessions promises to focus on drug enforcement 'with new intensity'

Marino appears to be in that camp as well, but his views are unlikely to influence the administration's policy in the same ways Sessions's views do. That's because the drug czar's office has traditionally played a limited role in setting policy --instead, it coordinates drug control strategy and funding across the federal government.

Still, with the selection of Marino, another piece of Trump's drug control strategy falls into place. In Congress, Marino voted multiple times against a bipartisan measure to prevent the Justice Department from going after state-legal medical marijuana businesses. (The measure ultimately passed.)

Similarly, he voted against a measure to allow Veterans Affairs doctors to recommend medical marijuana to their patients, as well as against a separate measure to loosen federal restrictions on hemp, a non-psychoactive variant of the cannabis plant with potential industrial applications.

Those votes place Marino well to the right of dozens of his Republican House colleagues who supported the measures. He also voted against a measure that would loosen some restrictions on CBD oil, a non-psychoactive derivative of the cannabis plant that holds promise for treating severe forms of childhood epilepsy.

Asked about marijuana legalization last fall, Marino told a reporter that “the only way I would agree to consider legalizing marijuana is if we had a really in depth-medical scientific study. If it does help people one way or another, then produce it in pill form.” But, he added, “I think it’s a states’ rights issue.”

As a congressman, Marino called for a national program of mandatory inpatient substance abuse treatment for nonviolent drug offenders. “One treatment option I have advocated for years would be placing non-dealer, nonviolent drug abusers in a secured hospital-type setting under the constant care of health professionals,” he said at a hearing last year.

“Once the person agrees to plead guilty to possession, he or she will be placed in an intensive treatment program until experts determine that they should be released under intense supervision,” Marino explained. “If this is accomplished, then the charges are dropped against that person. The charges are only filed to have an incentive for that person to enter the hospital-slash-prison, if you want to call it.”

Forced inpatient treatment in a hospital-slash-prison would presumably include drug users who are not necessarily drug abusers. Only about 21 percent of current marijuana users meet diagnostic criteria for abuse or dependence, for instance. The other 79 percent do not need treatment for their drug use.

Marino acknowledged that implementing such a policy nationwide would “take a lot of money.”

Whether he'll push for such a strategy as drug czar remains an open question. Beyond that, the office's track record on meeting its drug policy goals is not the greatest. In 2010, the office set a series of ambitious goals to reduce overall drug use, overdoses and drugged-driving incidents. A 2015 Government Accountability Office report concluded that it failed to meet any of them.

original here: https://www.washingt...ent-drug-users/

Edited by CatsAndBats, 12 April 2017 - 04:29 PM.

#2 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 792 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:52 PM

What a bunch of nonsense. Legalization is what the people want, I won't list the medical and economic benefits, I'm all here have some idea. The war on drugs is about about control and profit, nothing more.
  • Arathu, Spooner and Heirloom like this

#3 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• OG VIP
  • 9,866 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:25 PM

gallery_131808_1351_2509.gif

Edited by Alder Logs, 12 April 2017 - 05:25 PM.

• Sidestreet, Spooner and tailsmcsnails like this

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,008 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:28 PM

[Direct Link]

• Alder Logs and Spooner like this

#5 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,356 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:33 PM

I want a Sorcerer to take these people down , now.
  • Arathu likes this

#6 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:38 AM

I want a Sorcerer to take these people down , now.

What, if anything, makes you think they are not being employed from the "other" side as well?

We are dealing with a pandemic of psychosis and it's NOT in the, oh my god, DRUG USERS, community............

It's in the holier than thou vodka and martini saturated, Marlboro choking, prescription dope munching, you'll listen to the sacred law jackasses that believe there is such a thing as THE ONLY WAY............

The very same people that will send your children off to slaughter each other in the name of some FREEDOM that doesn't exist.....meanwhile lining their coffers and fat bellies with collected human lives............

Oh shit I gotta watch my blood pressure..............................

A

Edited by Arathu, 13 April 2017 - 09:38 AM.

#7 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

2016%2F04%2F18%2Fab%2Freefermadne.17530.

• Sidestreet and Spooner like this

#8 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 792 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

Arathu, just breath in, breath out. :)

Cats, that picture sounds like a great weekend, when I was 20 years younger. I have to sin carefully in small doses now.
  • Sidestreet and CatsAndBats like this

#9 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:46 AM

Cats, that picture sounds like a great weekend, when I was 20 years younger. I have to sin carefully in small doses now.

FOR REAL! Just the added bathroom time the next day alone is worth consideration.

Let that be a warning kids, all that partying does catch up with you, invariably.

Edited by CatsAndBats, 13 April 2017 - 10:47 AM.

• Sidestreet likes this

#10 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,591 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:27 AM

Let that be a warning kids, all that partying does catch up with you, invariably.

And the harder you do it, the sooner it does!

Can't do anything with these people who conflate pot with heroin and meth.  And "hospital-slash-prison"?  He's not paying attention.

#11 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,866 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:44 AM

Stolen from SPS in WTF of the Day (but it needs to be here):

post-147969-0-69794100-1492171733.jpg

What's that say, © 1981 Washington Post Co.?

Edited by Alder Logs, 14 April 2017 - 10:25 AM.

• Sidestreet, Juthro and CatsAndBats like this

#12 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:51 AM

Nasty anti trump column: http://www.philly.co...ality-show.html

• Sidestreet and Alder Logs like this

#13 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,866 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

Probably should be a thread in God and Country.

#14 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:34 AM

Probably should be a thread in God and Country.

Yeah but I wanted more than three members to read it.  :biggrin:

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,866 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

CatsAndBats is officially on report for coloring outside the lines! 

Punishment: bats, and cats (of-nine-tails).

Edited by Alder Logs, 14 April 2017 - 11:39 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!