Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Are you good with computers? Will you help me please??

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 FieldTrip

FieldTrip

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:21 PM

So I just replaced my motherboard, and the pc turns on normally, no beeps or errors, but the monitor says no signal. What I've tried so far: unplugging everything but fans and cpu, removed ram, cleared cmos, removed video card and used on board graphics, plugged into my tv instead of monitor... All to no avail, obviously. Can someone tell me if I'm missing something? I hope this new motherboard isn't bad.. Thanks in advance :D

Edited by FieldTrip, 13 April 2017 - 10:21 PM.

#2 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:54 PM

Doesn't sound like you're missing anything....it sounds to me like you've completed the troubleshooting down to the MB...........I feel your pain......

A

• FieldTrip likes this

#3 Pan1

Pan1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:12 PM

check your cable. ive spent hours trouble shooting that was a bad cable. ive also had video cards that wouldnt work in a computer try to get on board graphics to work before plugging in video card, make sure no screws or pieces of metal shorting out mb .

• niemandgeist, sillyrabbitcubiesR4us, tailsmcsnails and 1 other like this

#4 425nm

425nm

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:41 PM

Did you also replace your CPU? And/or is the new mobo (or even more specifically is the version of the BIOS currently on the mobo) compatible with the CPU you've put in there.

I actually just had the same problem having replaced both CPU and mobo. The BIOS on the mobo wouldn't support a kaby lake processor but the newer firmware would. Had to get a shop to drop an older CPU on the board and flash the board.
  • Arathu and FieldTrip like this

#5 FieldTrip

FieldTrip

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:42 AM

check your cable. ive spent hours trouble shooting that was a bad cable. ive also had video cards that wouldnt work in a computer try to get on board graphics to work before plugging in video card, make sure no screws or pieces of metal shorting out mb .

That did cross my mind..

#6 FieldTrip

FieldTrip

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:45 AM

Did you also replace your CPU? And/or is the new mobo (or even more specifically is the version of the BIOS currently on the mobo) compatible with the CPU you've put in there.
I actually just had the same problem having replaced both CPU and mobo. The BIOS on the mobo wouldn't support a kaby lake processor but the newer firmware would. Had to get a shop to drop an older CPU on the board and flash the board.

That makes perfect sense. I honestly don't know if mine are compatible with each other(other than it saying it'd work with an i5 which is what I have.) I'm thinking I might need to visit a shop myself :/

#7 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 784 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:45 AM

Boot with minimum connections, mobo, power, cup, and memory, no other cables attached.
If you get video, of course you'll know one of unconnected devices is the issue.
Same problem? Reseat the processor, check the processor for damage, been a while, do modern processors still have pins that can be bent?
You said no beeps, boot it with no memory, if you still get no beeps you know the problem lies in the mobo or cpu.

#8 FieldTrip

FieldTrip

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:21 AM

Boot with minimum connections, mobo, power, cup, and memory, no other cables attached.
If you get video, of course you'll know one of unconnected devices is the issue.
Same problem? Reseat the processor, check the processor for damage, been a while, do modern processors still have pins that can be bent?
You said no beeps, boot it with no memory, if you still get no beeps you know the problem lies in the mobo or cpu.

I've tried everything you mentioned except for reseating the cpu. But if I get no beeps with the memory out that means the mb is bad? Makes sense..

#9 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 784 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:45 AM

Either bad or cup compatibility problems just early only, boot up tests cpu, then memory, if you get no memory beeps with memory out, then you know the problem is cpu or motherboard.

Just an extra note, a failing power supply can cause the same issue. Was this mb an upgrade to a previous working build?

#10 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,551 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:18 PM

Have you tried using the monitor on another device to ensure that it isn't the monitor that's the issue?

Have you gone into the BIOS to ensure that any video output settings that may be contrary to one another are set up in such a way as to only allow video output the way you want it to be?

Apart from that it seems like you've already done a lot of good footwork.

#11 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:30 PM

Reseat all ram and cables. Make sure front panel cables are firmly attached. Are you sure speaker is plugged in? Double check any dipswitches.

Edited by sandman, 14 April 2017 - 05:30 PM.

#12 FieldTrip

FieldTrip

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:53 PM

Either bad or cup compatibility problems just early only, boot up tests cpu, then memory, if you get no memory beeps with memory out, then you know the problem is cpu or motherboard.
Just an extra note, a failing power supply can cause the same issue. Was this mb an upgrade to a previous working build?

It was a replacement, and unfortunately a downgrade..

#13 FieldTrip

FieldTrip

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:54 PM

Have you tried using the monitor on another device to ensure that it isn't the monitor that's the issue?

Have you gone into the BIOS to ensure that any video output settings that may be contrary to one another are set up in such a way as to only allow video output the way you want it to be?

Apart from that it seems like you've already done a lot of good footwork.

Thanks, yea I plugged it into my tv with the same results.

#14 FieldTrip

FieldTrip

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

Reseat all ram and cables. Make sure front panel cables are firmly attached. Are you sure speaker is plugged in? Double check any dipswitches.

Funny thing is, I just saw a spot labeled speaker and it has nothing plugged into it. It appears I don't have a speaker. I plugged in my surround to the green port on back, idk if that would work the same..

#15 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 784 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:32 PM

The speaker that beeps error codes is usually soldered directly to the mb, a little black cylinder with a hole in the top of it.

#16 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:18 PM

You probably need to hook the speaker up to get the beep codes, it's on your case front most likely. Might even need it to boot? Does you case have front USB and all that? Might have to hook this up to your mb if it doesnt have internal speakers and your case doesnt have a speaker https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B002W4M0DW

Also double check your motherboard manual for any info on the jumpers for the onboard speaker or other jumpers that might be mistakenly set wrong. Jumpers are little pins you move to make changes to the way the mb works, check the manual.

Edited by sandman, 14 April 2017 - 08:24 PM.

#17 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 784 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:27 PM

Random suggestion, Google the make and model of the new motherboard, there may be known issues, sometimes even a key sequence that will let you access the bios on an otherwise unbootable system with cpu compatibility issues, although that's usually only on boards with overclocking capabilities.

#18 FieldTrip

FieldTrip

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

Thanks guys I'll look into that.

#19 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,244 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:15 AM

Well, I was going to recommend what works for me, a combination of smudging and shungite, followed by a stream of nonsensical syllables and a possible flying lesson when step one is not effective.

It seems you have received some far more knowledgeable help already. 

• sillyrabbitcubiesR4us, sparrow95 and FieldTrip like this

#20 FieldTrip

FieldTrip

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:35 AM

I think that's what maybe killed the first one..
  • Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!