Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Pics of my first PF-TEK (Looking for advice!)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OGNate

OGNate

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:59 PM

Apologies if the attachment doesn't work (first post here).  So here's my set up, half pint mason jars with dark rye flour and verm as the substrate.  PC'd for 2 hours (I know pretty long but as I have an electric pressure cooker I wanted to be safe since it doesn't show actual PSI or temp), inoculated one batch and had very slow development of anything.  Got some money together and made a homemade incubation chamber involving 2 totes and an aquarium heater set to 26C and suddenly life exploded!  Within two days I had some development of white furry bunches that spread fairly well but from looking at other pictures of mycellium developing I couldn't help but wonder if what I'm growing is early trych or if I was successful.  Note all six jars show similar formations, 2 are very stunted but show growth along one trail each down from the holes drilled through the caps of the mason jars, the rest are mainly straight down from the holes but have colonized enough to where they have spread all over and took over the bottom of the jars.  I can't see any black dots or anything showing what I believe they call cobweb, there is no gray or black in the groupings, I shined a flashlight and it's all pure white.  It's been like this for 3-5 days and there is no green to be seen in any of the jars, let alone any other funky colors.

I shook each jar and couldn't smell anything "musty", fruity or from what I've read a smell similar to B.O. or unkempt feet, it smells just very earthy and I don't wanna push it but even shows signs of that "mushroomy" smell when you open a package from the store (most likely simply affiliated to the earthy odor).

I'd appreciate any insight, I am definitely new to this and would appreciate any comments!  If there are any questions I will respond as quickly as possible, thanks again everybody!

20170414_121313.jpg 20170414_121320.jpg 20170414_121333.jpg 20170414_121352.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170414_121340.jpg

• tailsmcsnails likes this

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,115 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:04 PM

how old are the jars? and for future reference you shouldn't shake PF jars, the verm layer on top is a filter, you really do not want to disturb the filter.

welcome to topia  :biggrin:

• niemandgeist likes this

#3 OGNate

OGNate

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:27 PM

how old are the jars? and for future reference you shouldn't shake PF jars, the verm layer on top is a filter, you really do not want to disturb the filter.

They're probably running up at two weeks old now, about a week with my chamber.  Thanks for the advice though, many posts I saw said to simply "shake it" to smell and see I'm glad you corrected me haha.  I have another batch that I prepared the same way that's probably 3-5 days old now but not really showing growth yet, I was thinking possibly just a slow colonizer perhaps?  What do you think?

#4 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

"DOOR"

• Black VIP
  • 483 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:44 PM

hi welcome, you will get great advice here.

#5 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,115 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:03 PM

They're probably running up at two weeks old now, about a week with my chamber.  Thanks for the advice though, many posts I saw said to simply "shake it" to smell and see I'm glad you corrected me haha.  I have another batch that I prepared the same way that's probably 3-5 days old now but not really showing growth yet, I was thinking possibly just a slow colonizer perhaps?  What do you think?

2 weeks is really too soon to judge them, from spores it can take upwards of a month to fully colonize. i would see how they look in another week. they look ok, but hard to say at this point.

#6 OGNate

OGNate

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

2 weeks is really too soon to judge them, from spores it can take upwards of a month to fully colonize. i would see how they look in another week. they look ok, but hard to say at this point.

Oh okay, I'll just leave them be and just make sure the temp stays good.  Thanks for the replies though, will update when/if anything changes.

#7 OGNate

OGNate

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:07 PM

hi welcome, you will get great advice here.

Thank you! It seems like it anyways, comments within an hour is awesome! Nobody from where I live does anything like this so it's pretty hard to get real time tips besides obsessively scouring the net for people discussing similar cases to yours.  Cutting out the middle man was definitely a good choice, can't wait to get to know the members  :biggrin:

• niemandgeist and tailsmcsnails like this

#8 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,115 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:05 AM

gonna move this thread to magic mushroom forum,. you are free to post in the others now  :biggrin:

#9 FieldTrip

FieldTrip

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:31 AM

I've never heard of shaking to smell, like wharfrat said, you don't want to disturb your verm barrier on top(if you have one) I've contaminated a couple of jars I'm sure from just picking up and inspecting. Best advice is to just leave them alone for a couple weeks, let 'em do their thang. Welcome to topia.

#10 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 622 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:38 AM

Wonder if there's an update, seems to have been a couple more weeks now

#11 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,464 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:46 PM

I'm crossing my fingers for you and hoping things are working out for the best. Please give us an update when you can.

• FieldTrip and OGNate like this

#12 FieldTrip

FieldTrip

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:50 PM

Yes ognate, let us know how your grow is going. Good vibes your way.
  • OGNate likes this

#13 OGNate

OGNate

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:27 PM

Sorry everybody for the lack of responses!

My jars ended up colonizing beautifully for everyone wondering, I ended up using them to try and make my first dub tub.  Colonization was slow but I assume that's because of the 1:4 ratio of rye to verm.  I've since moved on to grinding my own BRF or using WBS as it is much faster and the strains I'm using seem to love them.  

I can't post updated pictures because I've already birthed them but they weren't contaminated at all.  Once my dub tub is finally pinning I'll post some pics.  Any advice on misting/fanning from any pros?  I also tried the standard PF-Tek with just cased cakes and I think my method has bruised them, they are showing bluing (no green, I checked VERY carefully).  Any advice would be welcome!

#14 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,403 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:58 AM

I would fan the tub for 30-60 seconds 3-5 times a day.  Only mist the walls of the tub, unless you are feeding a casing layer.  Good luck.

#15 OGNate

OGNate

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:43 AM

Appreciate the advice MLB, I have been misting as often as possible with a full time job I've occasionally neglected them.  My dub tub has started pinning as of yesterday but my tek cakes in the SGFC are still simply bluing and not showing signs of pins or anything.  I'm going to let them be as I only tried the actual PF-Tek with 3 cakes, the majority have gone to dub tubs.

The part about just the walls is good advice, my tubs are cased but my cakes are only top and bottom so that's probably why they've blued.. such an amateur move..

• MLBjammer likes this

#16 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,403 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:07 AM

My pleasure, man.

Don't spray the cakes directly, just feed the casings when needed.  If you leave them be for a few days, that blueing should go away.

Congrats on the tub pinning.

#17 OGNate

OGNate

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:40 PM

I actually kind of scrapped the SGFC idea, apparently caring for just cakes isn't my specialty haha.  And simply because of the size of the terrarium I decided to just stick to my 6qt bins which are working great.

The tub I described in this topic has about 1-2 inch pins of clusters all over and I've just been misting to keep the casing moist, not too much of course.  They're on a 12/12 light schedule and in a closet that varies from 70-75 degrees F and about 50-60 percent humidity with my pocket humidifier running along with a mini desk fan set to low for a little FAE so the air doesn't get too stagnant (read that's how trich forms and would rather not risk it if I can't get to the tub that day).  So far if I'm doing anything wrong it hasn't shown except the uneven baby canopy but also from what I understand multispore set ups often do this.  

#18 OGNate

OGNate

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:22 PM

To finalize this thread I'd like to let everyone know how these finalized.

The jars I used for this had limited amounts of food in them and I believe this is where my yield was killed.  Using only 3 half pint jars with 1 cup rye flour to 4 cups verm (read that was the best when I just started and just rolled with it) the jars colonized beautifully, but I mixed them into 6qt bins with all coir and coffee (no gypsum, another noob mistake) but everything grew and I got about 3 good trips worth off of 2 bins.  Awful, but it taught me a lot of necessary knowledge regarding this art form.  I unfortunately lost the strain as I could not get an incredibly viable print as the biggest mushy I had ended up breaking its veil while I was at work and a mix of laziness and bad timing destroyed the best opportunity.  But I have albinos growing great in 4 other bins currently (2 cased 2 not just to get the hang of different techniques) so all is not lost. I will most likely buy more golden teacher spores as I ate them all fresh and I'm not a big fan of mushrooms but these guys were honestly delicious, I had no problem mulching em down in my mouth even with the obvious mushroom taste.

I should mention that a friend of mine who used to do this told me to keep them in the dark and leave them be (no misting/fanning) and my subs dried out noticeably so this could also be a large factor.  I know what he said went against everything but he's the only person I know that's done this in person and wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Now that I know more he treats my advice as ignorance  :rolleyes: but my new bins are proof there is "room for improvement" to say the least.

If anyone reads this and wants pictures just let me know, the only ones I have aren't spectacular but like I said I'm treating this as a learning experience.  After killing the two bins described in this thread I could see the problem, the sub wasn't even fully colonized, looked like the dirt in a plant jar (mostly dirt with limited roots) so to put it bluntly I screwed up in many factors.  

Thank you everyone who offered advice as it was taken to heart, I will post pictures on my experiment forum as I think its unnecessary to keep things going with a couple different forums.

• tailsmcsnails likes this

#19 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 622 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:25 AM

Glad you got something, and kept going. Tell that friend he owes you couple ounces. His advice did more damage to your grow than the low BRF.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!