Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Pics of my first PF-TEK (Looking for advice!)

head

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OGNate

OGNate

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:59 PM

Apologies if the attachment doesn't work (first post here).  So here's my set up, half pint mason jars with dark rye flour and verm as the substrate.  PC'd for 2 hours (I know pretty long but as I have an electric pressure cooker I wanted to be safe since it doesn't show actual PSI or temp), inoculated one batch and had very slow development of anything.  Got some money together and made a homemade incubation chamber involving 2 totes and an aquarium heater set to 26C and suddenly life exploded!  Within two days I had some development of white furry bunches that spread fairly well but from looking at other pictures of mycellium developing I couldn't help but wonder if what I'm growing is early trych or if I was successful.  Note all six jars show similar formations, 2 are very stunted but show growth along one trail each down from the holes drilled through the caps of the mason jars, the rest are mainly straight down from the holes but have colonized enough to where they have spread all over and took over the bottom of the jars.  I can't see any black dots or anything showing what I believe they call cobweb, there is no gray or black in the groupings, I shined a flashlight and it's all pure white.  It's been like this for 3-5 days and there is no green to be seen in any of the jars, let alone any other funky colors.

I shook each jar and couldn't smell anything "musty", fruity or from what I've read a smell similar to B.O. or unkempt feet, it smells just very earthy and I don't wanna push it but even shows signs of that "mushroomy" smell when you open a package from the store (most likely simply affiliated to the earthy odor).

I'd appreciate any insight, I am definitely new to this and would appreciate any comments!  If there are any questions I will respond as quickly as possible, thanks again everybody!

20170414_121313.jpg 20170414_121320.jpg 20170414_121333.jpg 20170414_121352.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170414_121340.jpg

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,831 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:04 PM

how old are the jars? and for future reference you shouldn't shake PF jars, the verm layer on top is a filter, you really do not want to disturb the filter.

welcome to topia  :biggrin:

#3 OGNate

OGNate

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:27 PM

how old are the jars? and for future reference you shouldn't shake PF jars, the verm layer on top is a filter, you really do not want to disturb the filter.

They're probably running up at two weeks old now, about a week with my chamber.  Thanks for the advice though, many posts I saw said to simply "shake it" to smell and see I'm glad you corrected me haha.  I have another batch that I prepared the same way that's probably 3-5 days old now but not really showing growth yet, I was thinking possibly just a slow colonizer perhaps?  What do you think?

#4 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

mycochimp

• Gold VIP
  • 349 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:44 PM

hi welcome, you will get great advice here.

#5 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,831 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:03 PM

They're probably running up at two weeks old now, about a week with my chamber.  Thanks for the advice though, many posts I saw said to simply "shake it" to smell and see I'm glad you corrected me haha.  I have another batch that I prepared the same way that's probably 3-5 days old now but not really showing growth yet, I was thinking possibly just a slow colonizer perhaps?  What do you think?

2 weeks is really too soon to judge them, from spores it can take upwards of a month to fully colonize. i would see how they look in another week. they look ok, but hard to say at this point.

#6 OGNate

OGNate

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

2 weeks is really too soon to judge them, from spores it can take upwards of a month to fully colonize. i would see how they look in another week. they look ok, but hard to say at this point.

Oh okay, I'll just leave them be and just make sure the temp stays good.  Thanks for the replies though, will update when/if anything changes.

#7 OGNate

OGNate

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:07 PM

hi welcome, you will get great advice here.

Thank you! It seems like it anyways, comments within an hour is awesome! Nobody from where I live does anything like this so it's pretty hard to get real time tips besides obsessively scouring the net for people discussing similar cases to yours.  Cutting out the middle man was definitely a good choice, can't wait to get to know the members  :biggrin:

• tailsmcsnails likes this

#8 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,831 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:05 AM

gonna move this thread to magic mushroom forum,. you are free to post in the others now  :biggrin:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: head

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!