• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Triptomemes

Triptomemes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:00 PM

So I've been interested in finding a way to preserve Fresh Cubensis. I enjoy them fresh and find more stomach discomfort when dry (personal issue) Everything I've read says freezing is terrible because they will turn to a mushy, goopy consistency when thawed. Also I've read that once thawed they could oxidize and lose potency. This made me question what if  I blended, then froze them in a drink/juice and ate the frozen medley. Would the potency remain? So today I'm going to put my hypothesis to the test : If Fresh cubensis  are blended into a drink and frozen, Then they will maintain their potency and active alkaloids.  The long term goal would be to weigh out individual doses and have them prepared for local nature walks.

So I started with 35.1g fresh 20170415_2202401.jpg

Added  NAKED Mighty Mango juice + 1 Clementine 20170415_2204471.jpg  

Blended for 20secs and poured back into original bottle, then placed into freezer20170415_2206001.jpg

I'll drink/eat it tomorrow morning and report back results. Hoping for the best.

If anyone has experience with this method or knows from experience how this will turn out, please let me know. Thank you

• Heirloom , wharfrat and tailsmcsnails like this

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:02 AM

should work just fine.. cant say i have tried but i see no reason why it shouldnt be just as good as fresh

• Triptomemes likes this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,552 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:50 AM

I agree with Wharf, I don't see why it wouldn't work. But alas, I haven't tried it myself, so I don't know for sure.
Check back with us, and let us know how it turned out for you, please.

Safe travels,
Juth

Edited by Juthro, 16 April 2017 - 12:51 AM.

• Triptomemes likes this

#4 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

Mycotopia's only leucistic cat and bat hybrid©

• OG VIP
  • 7,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

Could one measure out fresh cubes from an isolate, place half in the freezer and do a crystallized extract with both and measure out the goodies for comparison?

Edited by CatsAndBats, 16 April 2017 - 08:16 AM.

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,151 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:36 PM

That's exactly how I used to eat them - sans freezing. Freezing - my guess - should not hurt a thing. 

I never weighed them though. Just don't use more mushrooms than you can fit into both of your hands cupped together.

Have a great hike !

• Juthro, CatsAndBats, Triptomemes and 1 other like this

#6 Triptomemes

Triptomemes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:43 PM

It worked! I ate the frozen mix at 10:40 am and was hit with a mellow wave by 11:20am. From there I listened to music and melted into my pillow. Although it was successful I don't think I'll freeze it again because trying to eat it was a struggle when it came to brain freezes haha. Thanks Wharf,Juthro, Cats, and Myc.

• Myc, Juthro, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#7 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,809 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:18 PM

That's awesome, thanks for sharing this. I think I can modify your tek and make popsickles
using the ps. cyans I intend on picking again this year from my own wood beds. They are potent but when dried they seem to lose a lot of the potency. This will allow me to preserve some for future trips.

outta likes for now
  • tailsmcsnails likes this

#8 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,151 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

So I'm curious Triptomemes.........

Once blended, did your beverage take on a blue hue?

Mine always turned bluish - as if I had added blueberries. 

#9 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:20 AM

Shroomsickles...........I can see Tommy Chong pedaling the ice cream cart.............coming down the road in the neighborhood...............

Hahahahahaha.............

A

• Juthro likes this

#10 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,809 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:30 PM

LOL that would of made a great scene in one of tommy's movies

#11 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,465 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:04 PM

Blueing is an indication of actives breaking down.

If you see blue in your liquids, it means oxygen in the liquid has combined and oxidized your actives. I have done extensive experiments on mushroom teas, and when the tea turns blue, you may have lost much or even all your actives.

The key is to get the oxygen out of the liquid, either through boiling, or using a high vacuum (which technically is still boiling).

The other key is to keep the oxygen from re-entering the liquid. Freezing will do this, or filling the de-oxyginated liquid to the top of the container and capping.

Even so, you need to use this liquid soon, as oxygen will get in there, and there is always residual oxygen in the liquid.

My next experiment will involve using Kombucha as a tea base. It is acidic so it will convert the psylocybin to psilocin, but that is even more susceptible to oxygen, but "Booch" is mainly filled with co2 so we shall see...

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 17 April 2017 - 08:05 PM.

• Myc, Juthro and Triptomemes like this

#12 Triptomemes

Triptomemes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:12 PM

So I'm curious Triptomemes.........

Once blended, did your beverage take on a blue hue?

Mine always turned bluish - as if I had added blueberries. 

I didn't notice a blue hue after it was blended, but I did notice the orange juice was somewhat darker after freezing. 

Blueing is an indication of actives breaking down.

If you see blue in your liquids, it means oxygen in the liquid has combined and oxidized your actives. I have done extensive experiments on mushroom teas, and when the tea turns blue, you may have lost much or even all your actives.

The key is to get the oxygen out of the liquid, either through boiling, or using a high vacuum (which technically is still boiling).

The other key is to keep the oxygen from re-entering the liquid. Freezing will do this, or filling the de-oxyginated liquid to the top of the container and capping.

Even so, you need to use this liquid soon, as oxygen will get in there, and there is always residual oxygen in the liquid.

My next experiment will involve using Kombucha as a tea base. It is acidic so it will convert the psylocybin to psilocin, but that is even more susceptible to oxygen, but "Booch" is mainly filled with co2 so we shall see...

I was worried about not filling the bottle to the top. When I opened the juice I realized  the space between the juice and the cap was about 1/2 inch which meant I was going to lose some potency while it thawed. Keep us informed about your Kombucha experiment, I'd love to see how that works out.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!