• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:42 PM

I had this idea since dunk-n-roll has never been that kind to me where verm sticking to the sides is concerned I thought I'd try a variation of the "pressed substrate tek" to make (sand) Castle Cakes.

Here's the 1st go @ it:

castle_cake_1.jpg

.......as you can see I haven't found the perfect container for 1/4 (4) and 1/2 (2) pts., but I think (after cutting it down to size) the one used for the 1 pt. container is what I'm shooting for although the sidewalls are ~1/2" thick.

This is just an experiment as I've way over produced for personal needs and now the remaining cakes become test subjects.

castle_cake_2.jpg

We'll see what pops up, eh?

• Arathu, Heirloom and CatsAndBats like this

#2 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:33 PM

It seems I may have waited too long for the next contestants up for bid:

invitro.jpg

​...and here is the "state of the state":

castle_cake_3.jpg

​Aggressive! (I ​am going to save this isolate)

​I still need to press much more verm harder in the form for a good cake form that doesn't slowly fall apart and will do so w/ the examples above tonight and see if they hold together better.

• MLBjammer and tailsmcsnails like this

#3 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:38 PM

Yeah....I agree, that one is worth hanging on to............

A

• MLBjammer and shoomer like this

#4 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,016 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:05 AM

Sending you good grow vibes.

Edited by Cue, 22 April 2017 - 04:08 AM.

• shoomer likes this

#5 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:13 AM

It's been a while and not much has been going on until lately so I thought I'd keep the noise down until something notable occurred.

​That time is finally here and I can show you how a few of the CC (castle cakes) are producing. Each cake in the pic w/ a red dot is a castle cake, all the others are trying for a 3rd/4th flush before being sacrificed to the compost pile.

​Only 3 are really kicking it out, but they are the 1st and I hope the others perform true to that trend!

castle_cakes-4.jpg

• MLBjammer and Heirloom like this

#6 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,378 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:34 AM

That looks great, especially for older cakes.  Thanks for sharing.

#7 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,809 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:44 AM

yea the old PF Tek can produce more than a person needs. I really like that you used some drinking glasses , shows beginners that a drinking glass can be used if they can't get jars.
  • MLBjammer and peacefrog like this

#8 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,378 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:32 PM

For personal use, the PF Tek is really all you need. You can grow at least a couple dry ounces from 12 cakes. It is still the most brilliant ten out there, all these years later.
  • CatsAndBats and peacefrog like this

#9 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:52 PM

Agreed

There is a reason why the PF tek is still around. Even if you don't fruit cake style, PF's recipe is a very great and versatile means of producing nice flushes of mushrooms IMO. And a great tool to have in your arsenal.
  • MLBjammer, Heirloom and CatsAndBats like this

#10 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,378 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:33 AM

Well said.  Even the most experienced and skilled cultivators will use cakes for various things.  You simply cannot beat prints from cakes grown Chronic/invitro style.

But the real genius of the PF Tek is that it makes it possible for damn near anybody to grow their own crops.  You cannot really say that about any other method.

• Heirloom and peacefrog like this

#11 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:48 AM

True that. I have said this several times, but I wish I had of started with cakes. I guarantee I wouldn't have spent countless weeks of disappointing contaminated attempts like I did when I first started.
  • MLBjammer likes this

#12 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,378 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:33 AM

My first grow was cakes. I followed the magic mushroom grower's guide on Erowid, ordered spores from Sporeworks (Amazon strain), and had good success. But then I got into grains and bulk, and I definitely had some setbacks. It took me awhile to dial in my grain prep especially.

But a lot of old-timers didn't start with cakes, and some have never grown cakes. So at least you gave it a try later on.
  • Microbe and peacefrog like this

#13 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:16 PM

Yea I started with a kit that was way over my head, which I failed at miserably. Then I found TMC and the McKenna brothers classic book on growing magic mushrooms in a local book store. I thought the only way to grow was cased grain or bulk lol. I didn't even find the OMC until I went to college a year or so after.

I had already accomplished a few crappy grows using cased grain, but once I found the online community, I learned a lot! I don't even remember how I stumbled on it but it was in the university library. I fondly remember purposely going in late at night when hardly any one was there and printing off pages of different teks, MMGG, 9er tek, a few I can't remember, obsessively reading everything I could find. Then the OMC opened my eyes a lot. I'm sure glad there are still great sites like we have here.

That's where I learned about the PF tek. It was and always will be a great tek IMO. I have used cakes for many different applications and still do for the matter. I will always be a cultivator that praises and recommends the PF method.

Edited by peacefrog, 05 May 2017 - 08:21 PM.

• MLBjammer and CatsAndBats like this

#14 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,378 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:57 AM

You described that old kit to me before.  It's crazy that they called that a starter kit, lol.

I found Erowid first, as I was interested in growing my own psychedelic mushrooms, and that led me to the Shroomery, which eventually led me here, where I really learned everything over the years.  I had also gotten my own decent personal computer in the late 90s-early 2000s with that good old dial-up connection--man, I thought I was the sh*t, haha.

And I started asking Hippie3 about cakes, invitro, etc., and he was always gracious with passing his knowledge along.  That is why I will always jump in to help new growers, because of the openness H3 and others showed me so many years ago.  Really, it's a privilege to share my experiences; and I am sure you feel the same.

Anyway, we have completely derailed this thread with our discussion.  Throw up a pic of some cakes, and this is what you get sometimes.

Apologies, Shoomer.  Keep up the good work.

Edited by MLBjammer, 06 May 2017 - 03:58 AM.

• CatsAndBats and peacefrog like this

#15 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:37 PM

Yea sorry, Shoomer.

We have a tendency to stray off track and derail threads sometimes. No ill will intended, we just tend to get side tracked sometimes, especially that CatsAndBats guy, watch out for him lol.

Carry on.

Edited by peacefrog, 06 May 2017 - 07:38 PM.

• MLBjammer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!