• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:19 PM

I've been using a NFT system that has been very resilient to my neglect style and was wondering if anyone here would like to see the tweaks I've added to this tek (THIS IS NOT MINE! I just made it cheaper. Search "stinkbud" @ RIU for what started this.) that has taken me from 0-95% cloning success and 1 yr.+ livelihood mothers from a stable of only 3 females that survived outside 2 yrs. ago (I still have a decent amount of my 1st seed purchase of 5 varieties).

I do soil and (mostly for) outdoors and do NOT think that any method is better than another, this is just what has finally worked for me to realize what a fantastic situation cloning offers and has allowed me to turn those 3 plants mentioned before into (no stretch) 75+ progeny for both indoor and outdoor.

It allows me to change water about every 3+ mo. (although I just tested the range and found it to be about 1 yr.) and not lose/waste nutes used.

I don't mean to say ANYONE'S style is better than any other, I just know that this one has worked for me.

Interested?

Edited by shoomer, 16 April 2017 - 10:27 PM.

• Heirloom Spores likes this

#2 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,265 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:06 PM

I think a lot of would like to see. I used to do only hydro I found it very easy.I've done most styles of hydro. I got a 12" wide NFT channel about 4 feet long, I haven't cut any holes in the top to put in net pots yet. I can post a pic of it.

I am familiar with the add back / no res change method. Add water to bring liquid level full, check EC then add nutes to bring EC to desired strength. Works great.

You should have a nice harvest with those clones.

namaste

Attached Thumbnails

• Anft 004.JPG

• shoomer likes this

#3 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:17 PM

Thank you Sir (or Madam as the case may be)!

The cloner of the system I've yet to make an improvement on except to realize that the 18 Gal. Roughneck container does NOT seem to be manufactured to the standards they were when this system was 1st posted and will be making a 27 gal. (lowes/homedepot) version as those containers do not leak (you will see them prominently displayed in the system).

Let me find a teaser that showcases how this system took me from zero to hero and shows the clone/veg side of things:

early_summer_16-1.JPG

Flower will have to wait until tomorrow as it's nite-nite time for the girls.

EDIT: Am I redundant much? Sheesh!

Edited by shoomer, 16 April 2017 - 11:33 PM.

• Heirloom Spores likes this

#4 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,265 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:24 PM

Looks awesome shroomer.

out a likes for now

#5 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 5,072 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

It's sometimes helpful when introducing a new ACRONYM to identify what the acronym means. Since this is a teaching/learning website, it's best to introduce a subject as if the potential reader were not already familiar with the subject matter. 

NFT = ???

• Hash_Man, Heirloom Spores and tailsmcsnails like this

#6 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,265 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

NFT - Nutrient film technique

"Nutrient film technique (NFT) is a hydroponic technique wherein a very shallow stream of water containing all the dissolved nutrients required for plant growth is re-circulated past the bare roots of plants in a watertight gully, also known as channels. NFT was developed in the mid 1960s in England by Dr. Alen Cooper. In an ideal system, the depth of the recirculating stream should be very shallow, little more than a film of water, hence the name 'nutrient film'. This ensures that the thick root mat, which develops in the bottom of the channel, has an upper surface, which, although moist, is in the air. Subsequent to this, an abundant supply of oxygen is provided to the roots of the plants. A properly designed NFT system is based on using the right channel slope, the right flow rate, and the right channel length. The main advantage of the NFT system over other forms of hydroponics is that the plant roots are exposed to adequate supplies of water, oxygen and nutrients."
https://en.wikipedia..._film_technique

Attached Thumbnails

• 220px-Aquaponics_with_Vibrantly_Colored_Plants.jpg
  • 220px-2009-03-07_Rix_Dobbs'_NFT_hydro_set-up.jpg

• Myc likes this

#7 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,265 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:51 PM

shroomer looking forward to hearing about your NFT system and the cloner is it an aero cloner you made with a spinner or spraying.

I added a few links that others might find useful. I guess I am excited to talk hydro.

The Lucas formula for no change res grows:

http://www.mycotopia.../HTFaq/1654.htm

Glether's Easy NFT System:

http://www.mycotopia.net/HTFaq/941.htm

How do I build my own aeroponic cloner with misters?:

http://www.mycotopia.net/HTFaq/612.htm

A great source of knowledge often overlooked. GrowFAQ : GrowFAQ Basic Topics:

http://www.mycotopia...asic Topics.htm

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 17 April 2017 - 09:53 PM.

• shoomer likes this

#8 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:19 PM

It's sometimes helpful when introducing a new ACRONYM to identify what the acronym means. Since this is a teaching/learning website, it's best to introduce a subject as if the potential reader were not already familiar with the subject matter. 

NFT = ???

YOU may not be familiar with NFT​, but due to the kind efforts of HeirloomSpores is pretty well proven to have been around since the 1960's, even if it's not as popular as DWC (deep water culture), ebb-n-flow, bubbleponics, drip-feed, etc. and thought that any aspiring "newbie" finding this site to investigate mycology probably found it through employing search-foo and would be able to employ those methods to find out what an unfamiliar ACRONYM meant given enough ancillary information.

That my OP (original post) in this specific subject forum where I differentiate it from soil at least 2X's and in a subsequents post included a pic of green growing things coming from sealed containers, I thought would give anyone enough clues to be able to educate themselves (or ​simply ask a question) about an unfamiliar term especially when I'm getting ready to describe in great detail how/why I use this system if there was expressed interest.

​LC=?
​ME=?
​PESA=?
​PESH=?
​MS=?
​PDYA=?
​pH=?
​NPK=?
​MAOI=?

​I've seen those all used multiple times in posts without explanation (did you know pH stands for potential hydrogen?), though with the great majority of my site interactions I've yet to think I'd be condescended upon for asking about a definition if not familiar with them and would hope the same to be assumed of me

​I've stepped back from posting after reading the above quoted post, 1st remontrating my lack of explanation for an ACRONYM you may not be familiar with, and THEN asking a question to make sure my initial reaction was not a "heat of the moment" thing, but find is still pretty much the same today as it was upon first read.

​I especially found it quite contrary to the sig of the admin poster.

"...we'd like to help you learn to help yourself..."

​My posting "style" is much like any agricultural or mycological endeavor in that patience is sometimes a virtue defining the difference between success and failure in grasping the concept.

​I almost PM'd (private message) this instead of posting it but decided to reply in the way addressed as it just seems more equitable.

Heirloom Spores, I will discuss this w/ you via PM if is still available to me going forward, but since you are the only one expressing interest, I might do better to conserve my typing efforts and not spam the site with unwanted content.

Thank you for your interest.

Edited by shoomer, 20 April 2017 - 07:40 PM.

#9 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,265 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:59 PM

maybe a change in the Title would draw more people, after all Nutrient Film technique is a catchy term.

#10 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 5,072 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:06 AM

Sorry you got pissed there Shoomer. Not my intent. 

We used to have a glossary around here which described all the terms you posted in your comment. 

After ten years I thought I had seen them all. But the newer folks are inventing them or introducing new terms at a seeming breakneck pace. I can't seem to keep up with all of the new verbal inventions of our time. 

It appears that I'm behind the age curve here. I'll have to learn to have Google open - much like a dictionary - so I can figure out......

WTF all these letters stand for. 

But given your reaction.......

I can find it easier just to let you all have at it. NSOMN - no skin off my neck. 

LER - Let 'er rip. I think I may take another year or two off. See ya'll on the flip side where I'm hoping we don't need language for communication - or I'll just be lost by the time subsequent generations arrive - all speaking in pidgeon english. 

LOL - Laughing out Loud (and logging off). 

#11 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:25 PM

shroomer looking forward to hearing about your NFT system and the cloner is it an aero cloner you made with a spinner or spraying.

I added a few links that others might find useful. I guess I am excited to talk hydro.

<snipped for brevity ONLY>

​It's a mister w/ EZcloner sprayer fed via 1/2" PVC pipe attached to a Eco396 submersible pump timed 80sec./8 min. on/off controlled by an Art-DNE timer (pricey, but worth it).

​Please see the attached PDF for the original stinkbud version (I HIGHLY suggest using a 27 gal. container over the 18 gal. Roughneck in the instructions and adapt the design to the new container).

​I'll post system build instructions in a new post called medium-less growing (nutrient film technique) sometime soon.​

Sorry you got pissed there Shoomer. Not my intent. 

We used to have a glossary around here which described all the terms you posted in your comment. 

After ten years I thought I had seen them all. But the newer folks are inventing them or introducing new terms at a seeming breakneck pace. I can't seem to keep up with all of the new verbal inventions of our time. 

It appears that I'm behind the age curve here. I'll have to learn to have Google open - much like a dictionary - so I can figure out......

WTF all these letters stand for. 

But given your reaction.......

I can find it easier just to let you all have at it. NSOMN - no skin off my neck. 

LER - Let 'er rip. I think I may take another year or two off. See ya'll on the flip side where I'm hoping we don't need language for communication - or I'll just be lost by the time subsequent generations arrive - all speaking in pidgeon english. 

LOL - Laughing out Loud (and logging off). 

​Welcome to my world (I.T. = information technology) as the same industry acronym can mean a myriad offering of definitions much like this.

​The thing that makes me a viable professional in this field is the ability to use search (much as I did for the glossary you mentioned here even though I'd already searched/defined those long ago) as being a Linux user taught me to search for an answer to a question I have as it has probably been asked 1000 times before and gets answered usually, "RTFM! (Read The F***in*[e] Manual!)".

​The one time I didn't here and asked "does anyone have pics of oyster mycelium on agar?" to see if my pink oyster on agar was worth propagating since I thought this might be one of the places rife w/ such content, I got replied to w/ a google image search screen capture for "Pleurotus ostreatus mycelium".

​I give what I get sometimes. :wink:

Attached Files

Edited by shoomer, 21 April 2017 - 10:33 PM.

#12 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,265 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:26 PM

Those are real nice aero cloner plans. I saved the PDF in case I come across any one who wants to
build one. I don't need that many clones these days.

What do you use in your cloner , just water or additives like seaweed or any other products ?

I have mostly use just RO water but was thinking about adding some maxicrop seaweed which I will also use in soil grows.

I like to use general hydro maxi series dry nutes though I also like general organics liquid nutes.

I like RO water for my hydro, with proper nutes I never need to check my Ph, I simply check my res every day to measure the ec/ppm to add water and determine how much nute to add back to the res.

I have looked at timers made by Titan controls and they are expensive $75-90. I hear that many find it better to use a timer than to run the system 24/7. I have run them 24/7 with good results.

I find hydro to be the easiest grow method, useing RO water. I never have Ph problems or issues that result in sick plants.

#13 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 130 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:41 AM

Those are real nice aero cloner plans. I saved the PDF in case I come across any one who wants to
build one. I don't need that many clones these days.

Just warn them about the 18 gal. container when you do or they might not want to be your friend afterwards. :wink:

What do you use in your cloner , just water or additives like seaweed or any other products ?

Plain Jane (but high in dissolved Ca minerals) well water from the tap. No magic sauce used which may make it a little slower, but much easier.

I have mostly use just RO water but was thinking about adding some maxicrop seaweed which I will also use in soil grows.

I like to use general hydro maxi series dry nutes though I also like general organics liquid nutes.

If I'm supremely lasidaisical I'll just start throwing veg. nutes into the cloner w/o a water change. I'm using Botanicare products as per the Stinkbud instructions w/ the tweaks enhancements of SuperStoner1 for amounts and PPM measurements.
I'm getting ready to test making compost teas as a substitute, or going plain salts for a major expenditure savings.

I like RO water for my hydro, with proper nutes I never need to check my Ph, I simply check my res every day to measure the ec/ppm to add water and determine how much nute to add back to the res.

I NEED RO water to not have serious P lockout due to too much Ca content. I tried pure RO w/o CalMag and had the same lockout happen because of mineral lack.
50/50 RO/tap gets me to 200 PPM @ 7 pH which is much easier to acidify down to 5.6-8 w/ phosphoric acid (food grade) after nutes (I still need to acidify because of the Ca and lime act as a buffer), that is cheaper to buy in bulk on Amazon for ~$40/gal. @ 85% and make dilute solutions as needed. Screw pH Down @ 20% qt. for $15. :biggrin:

I have looked at timers made by Titan controls and they are expensive $75-90. I hear that many find it better to use a timer than to run the system 24/7. I have run them 24/7 with good results.

I like the variable rate cycle timers (Art-DNe are such @ ~$80 USD) for and energy expenditure cost savings (both $/ and generation resources used).
I almost used carbon footprint and I HATE that obfuscating term!

I find hydro to be the easiest grow method, useing RO water. I never have Ph problems or issues that result in sick plants.

I like hydro too, but the curve has been steep and I have had mites, nute lockouts, root rot (the big 3) but have learned to make sure they don't happen again (or at least not to the severity they used to teach me).

​The prevention for root rot comes down to enzymes. Stress-zyme is pet shop available and works, but 'spensive. Pond-zyme in more concentrated and cheaper but no local retailers carry it so it's an Amazon item as well as a lot of the other items also listed.

Edited by shoomer, Yesterday, 12:45 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!