• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ChimX

ChimX

Spiritual Forager

• Free Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:45 PM

I really didn't want to jack anyone else's thread with the trivialities of ridiculously basic agar noobiness, so I blatantly plagiarized Cat's title (https://mycotopia.ne...k-some-agar-30/) in order to ask the following:

I'm looking for really simple homemade agar recipes but have had problems finding a lot of ingredients here in South America. I was going to use the following...

1) Unflavored gelatin
2) Beef Bullion
3) Sugar

But...I can't find unseasoned beef bullion! Anyone have any other 'easy to find' ingredients for a simple 3-4 ingredient agar recipe? Ratios and preparation info would also be truly welcomel!

This will be my first attempt at agar work and I'm hoping to begin tomorrow. I've only got glass petri dishes, unflavored gelatin, and sugar on hand. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Metta
-ChimX

(P.S. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery Cat, I hope they were right! You rock Cat Daddy.)

#2 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:04 AM

You can boil shredded potato then strain out the broth, add the gelatin/agar and sugar. This would give a reasonable approximation of Potato Dextrose Agar (PDA)
http://www.microbiol...haracteristics/
  • coorsmikey and ChimX like this

#3 ChimX

ChimX

Spiritual Forager

• Free Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:10 AM

Cuboid thanks so much for the feedback! I'm really anxious to get started as I've got 3 different strains plus a mutant that I want to get to agar ASAP. The potato broth sounds like something I can easily get done tomorrow.

Thanks again for pitching in.

Metta
-ChimX
  • Cuboid likes this

#4 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:12 AM

Can you get home brewing supplies? Malt Extract can be used too.
https://www.shroomer...Number/10770678
  • ChimX likes this

#5 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:23 AM

Extract from McKenna brothers growing guide:-
Potato Dextrose Agar (PDA) and Malt Extract Agar (MEA) are standard nutrient media suitable for cultivating the mycelia of most higher fungi, including Stropharia cubensis. Both types are commonly available in a premixed form from most scientific supply companies. The premixed type need only be dissolved in boiling distilled water. Usually about 15-20 g of pre-mixed agar medium per 1000 ml of water is used. The appropriate proportions and mixing instructions are usually printed on the container of dried agar preparation. With very little trouble, one can also manufacture one’s own PDA or MEA. Recipes for PDA, MEA, and a variation of MEA called MYP for Malt-Yeast-Peptone are given below. We have found MYP to be excellent for long term maintenance of vigorous mycelium.
P.D.A.
250 g potatoes
15 g agar
10 g dextrose
1.5 g nutritional yeast (or yeast extract)
Shred the unpeeled potatoes into a colander and then rinse them for thirty seconds with cold tap water. Combine the rinsed potatoes with one liter of water and gently boil for thirty minutes. Filter the resulting potato broth through muslin or cheesecloth and discard the potatoes. To the liter of potato broth add the agar, dextrose, and yeast which you have previously weighed out and mixed together in a baggie. While stirring gently add in the mixed powdered ingredients. Gently boil for ten minutes or until the solution is clear. Take care not to allow the solution to boil over. Add enough water to return the total volume of the solution to one liter. Pour the solution while still hot into petri plates, baby food jars, or slant culture tubes (fig. 11). Use just enough to cover the bottom of a plate or baby-food jar to a depth of about ¼ inch full. For convenience, the plates may first be placed in the bottom of the cooker before the medium is poured; then pour the medium, put the covers on the plates, then build a second stack on top of that; then pour, cover, and stack again, until a stack similar to fig. 12 has been built. The solution may be allowed to cool or sterilized immediately. Sterilization procedures will be described shortly.
A recipe for Malt Extract Agar (MEA) follows.
To 1 liter of gently boiling water add a previously weighed and mixed powder containing:  
20 g malt or malt extract (may be powder or syrup)
25 g agar
0.1 g potassium dibasic (K2HPO)
0.1 g calcium carbonate (CaCO3) (powdered oyster shell may be used)

The liquid malt extract sold in the syrup sections of most grocery stores is quite suitable for this medium. After the nutrients have been completely dissolved in the water, the hot solution is poured into plates in the same manner as the PDA.

MYP or Malt-Yeast-Peptone medium is a variation on MEA very useful for long term maintenance of desirable cultures.
To 1 liter of gently boiling water add a previously weighed and mixed powder containing:
7 g malt extract (powder or syrup)
1 g peptone or sytone
0.5 g yeast extract
15 g agar

Soytone and Peptone are commercial brands of a protein hydrolysate and can be purchased from scientific or microbiological supply houses.

In the case of all three of these recipes, if some of the nutrient solution is left over after pouring the plates, the flask may be sealed and stored in the refrigerator indefinitely, or sterilized with the plates and stored on the shelf. When one wishes to make more plates, the medium can be reliquified over heat and reused. The three types of media described above are quite easy to prepare and will be suitable for growing stock inocula. It is a good idea to mix up and have on hand at least two types of media, and to use them alternately in preparing batches of plates. In this way the fungus will not become accustomed to one type of medium and thus will be forced to use different parts of its genome in adapting to the different media. This will prevent the mycelium from succumbing to any “senescence factor”or tendency to age physiologically and thus to lose vigor after a period of time.
  • ChimX likes this

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 2,897 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:46 AM

Just because things get lost over time need to be refreshed I am gonna throw out this file again so new eyes can view. Credit to Seeker2be and Aloha Medicinals.  More agar recipes that on can imagine.

Attached File  The_Media_Recipe_Book.docx.pdf   1.11MB   21 downloads

• Arathu, ChimX, Juthro and 2 others like this

#7 ChimX

ChimX

Spiritual Forager

• Free Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:44 AM

Coorsmikey that was a Godsend, which pretty much makes you an angel. Thank you so much for sharing this here. I'll be sure to let you know which route I end up taking and how things work out. It's not the first time you've pointed me in the right direction and it's appreciated, again, my friend.

Cuboid, great excerpt. I'm a big fan of the book myself, but struggle to find a lot of those ingredients (at affordable prices anyway) down here. Regardless, I'll keep my eyes peeled for them, and your potato broth suggestion was not only helpful, but a quite sound and viable option. Kudos!

Metta
-ChimX
(P.S. @Coorsmikey, fascinating read, especially the annotation on the last page 'INGREDIENTS TO NEVER USE WITH PRODOCUTION STRAINS'.)

Edited by ChimX, 17 April 2017 - 02:02 AM.

#8 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:07 AM

Wow, more recipes than you can shake a stick at! Thank you so much :)
C.

#9 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

/(^ x ^)\

• OG VIP
  • 7,196 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:38 AM

I really didn't want to jack anyone else's thread with the trivialities of ridiculously basic agar noobiness, so I blatantly plagiarized Cat's title (https://mycotopia.ne...k-some-agar-30/) in order to ask the following:

I'm looking for really simple homemade agar recipes but have had problems finding a lot of ingredients here in South America. I was going to use the following...

1) Unflavored gelatin
2) Beef Bullion
3) Sugar

But...I can't find unseasoned beef bullion! Anyone have any other 'easy to find' ingredients for a simple 3-4 ingredient agar recipe? Ratios and preparation info would also be truly welcomel!

This will be my first attempt at agar work and I'm hoping to begin tomorrow. I've only got glass petri dishes, unflavored gelatin, and sugar on hand. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Metta
-ChimX

(P.S. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery Cat, I hope they were right! You rock Cat Daddy.)

Dude, Hijack away! The agar thread gets a lot of eyes on it. :biggrin: Thanks for the accolades!

#10 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

/(^ x ^)\

• OG VIP
  • 7,196 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

My first successful agar attempt was equal parts agar and dog food kibble (it's listed on aloha's list too). Works like a charm.

Again, I am flattered!

Just because things get lost over time need to be refreshed I am gonna throw out this file again so new eyes can view. Credit to Seeker2be and Aloha Medicinals.  More agar recipes that on can imagine.

attachicon.gifThe_Media_Recipe_Book.docx.pdf

Awesome! Thanks for the pdf! Web version, which is also linked on all three of my agar threads:

https://mycotopia.ne...-log/?p=1198427

https://mycotopia.ne...r-30/?p=1303967

(P.S. @Coorsmikey, fascinating read, especially the annotation on the last page 'INGREDIENTS TO NEVER USE WITH PRODOCUTION STRAINS'.)

I advocate and promote those recipes a lot in my threads but I suspect that one can use some of the ingredients on the "never use list". One shouldn't use the ingredients that are allergens obviously, but the coconut and garlic recipes could be played with IMHO, although I haven't tried.. yet.

@hyphaenation has used garlic stalks with success and the fact that a ton of us use coir in our grows, leads me to suspect that mycelium can be trained to eat any part of the coconut. I could be wrong though. Oh wait, found a coconut grow, but he did boil it a couple of times which may have removed it's anti-fungal properties.

https://mycotopia.ne...hread/?p=324632

https://mycotopia.ne...c/2259-coconut/

Edited by CatsAndBats, 17 April 2017 - 09:20 AM.

#11 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 762 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:27 AM

Just because things get lost over time need to be refreshed I am gonna throw out this file again so new eyes can view. Credit to Seeker2be and Aloha Medicinals. More agar recipes that on can imagine.

That .pdf has more to it than meets the eye. It has sparked the search for knowledge and created many friendships.
Keep sharing.........

Edited by Needles, 17 April 2017 - 09:05 AM.

• coorsmikey and CatsAndBats like this

#12 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,780 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:14 AM

Wow...incredible pdf..............did I mention we were participating in the TRUE Library at Alexandria? It wasn't a building..it was collective body of humans, and probably others.............

Thanks to all......my Topia DVD expands again...........

A

• CatsAndBats likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bumper, crop

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!