Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Any negative reasons for using gelatin caps?

nuggets straw

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

Interested in making some capsules for easier consumption. (Don't have to taste the mush)
Already purchased 100 gelatin caps but I just read in a new book from Peter McCoy that says not to use gelatin capsules.
Can anyone think of reason for this?
Thanks everyone!

Edited by Cigarsam, 17 April 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#2 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,270 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

mad cow, gelatin is made from boiling animal bones and such. you can get vegetarian cap's

I personally don't worry much as I already eat cow.

I have been thinking about buying some capsules for shrooms and other things.

namaste

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 17 April 2017 - 12:35 PM.

• ChimX, Juthro and Cigarsam like this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,372 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:38 PM

I've used gel caps many times, and they have worked very well for me. They are an east way to measure a dose, and a stealthy way to transport (leave the pills in a vitamin supplement bottle).

I can think of no real cons about using them, other then to do the dose size that I like you have to take a lot.... :)

Did McCoy say why he didn't like them?
  • Cigarsam likes this

#4 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

/(^ x ^)\

• OG VIP
  • 7,196 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

Having sat through many hours of his lectures, I suspect it has to do with the processing of the cows for the gelatin or the treatment of food factory animals. He doesn't mention it in the video.

[Direct Link]

Edited by CatsAndBats, 17 April 2017 - 01:00 PM.

• Cigarsam likes this

#5 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,270 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:08 PM

He could be a vegan.

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,372 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

I can respect that, but if that's the case vegetable caps are cheap, and readily available (like HS pointed out above).

The basic method of capsulizing your product is a good method for ingestion for those that don't like the taste of mushrooms.

#7 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,270 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:27 PM

Cook, Eat Thrive: Vegan Recipes From Everyday to Exotic ...

https://microcosmpub...alog/books/3803

Vegan/Animal Rights; Cooking; Get Notified. ... Radical Mycology (zine) by Peter McCoy

site is down for a few hours, I found this in a search
  • ChimX likes this

#8 Pan1

Pan1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 386 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:25 AM

bought some gel caps from a mail order dispensary full of shrooms once for shits and giggles, when i was buying some pot. they where huge horse pill and had less than half a gram. if you can get enough down that way and cant stand the taste all the power to you.  As juthro said stealthy as shit in empty vitamin bottle (sorry having some comp problems and cant like).

• Juthro and Heirloom Spores like this

#9 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 7,940 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:42 AM

I cap mine up.

Great way to dose people on the fly; like at festivals or parties.

#10 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,360 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:43 AM

Only thing about them IME is that they don't stay potent for too long.  Over a few weeks or so you lose a lot of magic.  I think it's because you're increasing the surface area a lot by grinding the mushies to powder and the caps themselves aren't airtight.  If you use a vacuum sealer it would probably help a lot but I wouldn't cap any mush I wanted to store for any length of time.

• Juthro and Heirloom Spores like this

#11 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

/(^ x ^)\

• OG VIP
  • 7,196 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:34 AM

Only thing about them IME is that they don't stay potent for too long.  Over a few weeks or so you lose a lot of magic.  I think it's because you're increasing the surface area a lot by grinding the mushies to powder and the caps themselves aren't airtight.  If you use a vacuum sealer it would probably help a lot but I wouldn't cap any mush I wanted to store for any length of time.

That's why I like 'locking them up" in chocolate, no oxidation.

#12 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 7,940 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:54 AM

Well shit. I still have a couple of ounces of Cubensis Blue Magnolia that have been capped up for 6 months. I did use a capsule packer to pack the powder in tight, stored in a cool dark closet, sealed in a freezer zip lock with a packet of drying agent.

I was planning on handing them out today at a fest, but I may just keep them at home for personal testing.

Good thing that I have blotter!

• Spooner likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nuggets, straw

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!