Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Any negative reasons for using gelatin caps?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 651 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

Interested in making some capsules for easier consumption. (Don't have to taste the mush)
Already purchased 100 gelatin caps but I just read in a new book from Peter McCoy that says not to use gelatin capsules.
Can anyone think of reason for this?
Thanks everyone!

Edited by Cigarsam, 17 April 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#2 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,838 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

mad cow, gelatin is made from boiling animal bones and such. you can get vegetarian cap's

I personally don't worry much as I already eat cow.

I have been thinking about buying some capsules for shrooms and other things.

namaste

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 17 April 2017 - 12:35 PM.

• bugs, ChimX, Juthro and 1 other like this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,568 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:38 PM

I've used gel caps many times, and they have worked very well for me. They are an east way to measure a dose, and a stealthy way to transport (leave the pills in a vitamin supplement bottle).

I can think of no real cons about using them, other then to do the dose size that I like you have to take a lot.... :)

Did McCoy say why he didn't like them?
  • Cigarsam likes this

#4 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,741 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

Having sat through many hours of his lectures, I suspect it has to do with the processing of the cows for the gelatin or the treatment of food factory animals. He doesn't mention it in the video.

[Direct Link]

Edited by CatsAndBats, 17 April 2017 - 01:00 PM.

• Cigarsam likes this

#5 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,838 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:08 PM

He could be a vegan.
  • bugs likes this

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,568 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

I can respect that, but if that's the case vegetable caps are cheap, and readily available (like HS pointed out above).

The basic method of capsulizing your product is a good method for ingestion for those that don't like the taste of mushrooms.

#7 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,838 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:27 PM

Cook, Eat Thrive: Vegan Recipes From Everyday to Exotic ...

https://microcosmpub...alog/books/3803

Vegan/Animal Rights; Cooking; Get Notified. ... Radical Mycology (zine) by Peter McCoy

site is down for a few hours, I found this in a search
  • ChimX likes this

#8 Pan1

Pan1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:25 AM

bought some gel caps from a mail order dispensary full of shrooms once for shits and giggles, when i was buying some pot. they where huge horse pill and had less than half a gram. if you can get enough down that way and cant stand the taste all the power to you.  As juthro said stealthy as shit in empty vitamin bottle (sorry having some comp problems and cant like).

• Juthro, Heirloom and Cigarsam like this

#9 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,027 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:42 AM

I cap mine up.

Great way to dose people on the fly; like at festivals or parties.

• Cigarsam likes this

#10 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,379 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:43 AM

Only thing about them IME is that they don't stay potent for too long.  Over a few weeks or so you lose a lot of magic.  I think it's because you're increasing the surface area a lot by grinding the mushies to powder and the caps themselves aren't airtight.  If you use a vacuum sealer it would probably help a lot but I wouldn't cap any mush I wanted to store for any length of time.

• bugs, riseabovethought, Juthro and 3 others like this

#11 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,741 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:34 AM

Only thing about them IME is that they don't stay potent for too long.  Over a few weeks or so you lose a lot of magic.  I think it's because you're increasing the surface area a lot by grinding the mushies to powder and the caps themselves aren't airtight.  If you use a vacuum sealer it would probably help a lot but I wouldn't cap any mush I wanted to store for any length of time.

That's why I like 'locking them up" in chocolate, no oxidation.

• Cigarsam likes this

#12 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,027 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:54 AM

Well shit. I still have a couple of ounces of Cubensis Blue Magnolia that have been capped up for 6 months. I did use a capsule packer to pack the powder in tight, stored in a cool dark closet, sealed in a freezer zip lock with a packet of drying agent.

I was planning on handing them out today at a fest, but I may just keep them at home for personal testing.

Good thing that I have blotter!

• Spooner and Cigarsam like this

#13 goldfinger

goldfinger

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:54 AM

bought some gel caps from a mail order dispensary full of shrooms once for shits and giggles, when i was buying some pot. they where huge horse pill and had less than half a gram. if you can get enough down that way and cant stand the taste all the power to you.  As juthro said stealthy as shit in empty vitamin bottle

Exactly, I put my ground mushies into some gelatin caps a while ago and snuck them on a flight disguised in a vitamin bottle; they were 'normal sized' caps and yeah, to get what I think was a 4g dry dose I had to swallow something like 10 or 12 damn pills. And even then I still couldn't keep them down, BUT they stayed for a few hours which is a record for me cause normally after 50 minutes they're up.

Edited by goldfinger, 05 May 2017 - 11:55 AM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#14 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,472 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:42 PM

Tea. Yeah, it's a bitch for transportation, but if you really want to avoid the tummy issues, it's the best.

Not to mention ramp up is much quicker, peak is higher, and drop off is also more pleasant.

My opinion here of course.

#15 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,838 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:07 AM

I picked up 2 1000 count bags of 00 capsules, I use them for other thing but will try mushrooms when I get some. Ishould vac seal for long term storage.

#16 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,393 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:51 AM

I'm not ignoring this just passive reading for me...........I eat fresh and dried mushrooms like tater chips.................I have no stomach issues at all from shrooms

Booze is a completely different story, my body knows it's poison.......fast food too. I either puke it out or it runs like the spring thaws down the valley...........so to speak

I do have Saw Palmetto and Japanese Knotweed root in gel caps though............

A

#17 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,472 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:12 AM

GNC store. 250 size 0 veggie caps, 7 bucks.  I don't know where the guy in the video buys his at a buck a capsule!

I would probably go with veggie caps just because of not knowing what sort of meat refuse and rendering practices were used to extract the gelatin.  Sure it will be free from bacteria and virus, but prions, and chemicals used to purify and make the gelatin "edible"? In today's world I might shy away from that.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 12 May 2017 - 06:15 AM.

#18 Rangley

Rangley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

If you're going to encapsulate them just buy a twenty dollar food saver. You can package a dose with a small desiccant, and it should last quite some time. I have heard around seven 00 vegan caps will hold 3.5g.

#19 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,838 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:43 PM

$12.50 /1000 delivered amazon. I use them for other medicines too Filled caps can be put into a vitamin/supplement bottle for stealth.

Edited by Heirloom , 14 May 2017 - 12:45 PM.

• Rangley likes this

#20 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

I kinda like the idea of caps for caps, the stealth factor is cool, particularly for traveling. How are they for long term storage?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!