• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Raz

Raz

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:30 AM

Any thoughts, opinions,or experience with the Vevor VD-650 Flow Hood on Ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/...t-/391750591931

There's a few listings for this flow hood with $560 including shipping be the cheapest listed, plus there's the option of 'Make Offer'

Attached Thumbnails

• Flowhood.jpg

#2 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:59 AM

You do not want a vertical flowhood, you want a horizontal flowhood.

• usagolden and Cigarsam like this

#3 Raz

Raz

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:03 PM

You do not want a vertical flowhood, you want a horizontal flowhood.

I'll just lay the hood on it's backside  :)    Why are the vertical flowhoods no bueno? 

Edited by Raz, 18 April 2017 - 12:03 PM.

#4 Raz

Raz

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:01 PM

How about:

http://www.ebay.com/...5-/182458362724

I've found one of these available within a 2 hour drive.  

#5 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:57 PM

vertical hoods are used for other types of sterile procedures, they blow the air from the top downwards. It's not ideal for petri dish work because you have your hands over the dishes and it's not proper to get your body in between the stream of clean air and the work. You really cant use a vertical hood sideways but you could do work in a vertical hood, you will probably get a higher contam rate though.

The filter/blower would probably work in a pinch but it's only rated to 90 feet per minute airflow and you want 100 fpm, also it's probably not truly a laminar flow out of the filter. I can easily help you build a real flowhood for less with a proper filter and blower for less than $300.

Edited by sandman, 18 April 2017 - 04:06 PM.

• usagolden, Tenderfoot, Juthro and 1 other like this

#6 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:05 PM

If you are gonna buy a real hood buy a Baker EdgeGard (not edgeguard) in good condition. There are several models but the iv-22 is the little guy similar to the one you pictured.

• Spooner likes this

#7 Raz

Raz

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

vertical hoods are used for other types of sterile procedures, they blow the air from the top downwards. It's not ideal for petri dish work because you have your hands over the dishes and it's not proper to get your body in between the stream of clean air and the work. You really cant use a vertical hood sideways but you could do work in a vertical hood, you will probably get a higher contam rate though.

The filter/blower would probably work in a pinch but it's only rated to 90 feet per minute airflow and you want 100 fpm, also it's probably not truly a laminar flow out of the filter. I can easily help you build a real flowhood for less with a proper filter and blower for less than $300.

Thank you for the explanation and that's some solid reasoning as to why you'd want a horizontal flow hood.  The Envirco flow hood does have three settings for the fan: low, med, & high.  I'm waiting to hear back from the manufacturer if the 90 fpm @ 325 watts is the low setting and if they have the velocity numbers for the medium and high settings.  I've read a few articles for building your own flow hood.  Doesn't seem too hard at all and if I can't find a flow hood for a reasonable price I'll go the route of building one which seems to be about $300.  

#8 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:30 PM

The envirco is 90fpm at the highest speed. I've actually used a smaller one over 10 years ago for a makeshift hood but if I recall it wasn't up to snuff and I sold it. Great for air filtration though.

There are some edgegards for like 600 in the same state as that mac10, even have make offer available.

#9 usagolden

usagolden

A Tin Can Banana

• OG VIP
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:02 PM

i continue to remake the flowhoods and pasteurizers that sand illuminated long ago

• sandman and coorsmikey like this

#10 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 882 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:07 PM

Any thoughts, opinions,or experience with the Vevor VD-650 Flow Hood on Ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/...t-/391750591931

There's a few listings for this flow hood with $560 including shipping be the cheapest listed, plus there's the option of 'Make Offer'

I think that is a awesome flowhood. If you have the money for it and don't have the wherewithal to make your our from parts, that would be a great work station. I have used both horizontal and vertical hoods. For working with agar, cloning and spores the vertical hood is the way to go. Once sanitized it can easily be used as a sterile air flow hood or still air box. Plus the VD-650 has a front panel that can be closed, housing unused petri plates very cleanly.
If you can build your own then you will have lots of options to think about. In any event using a sterile air HEPA filter will be a great addition to your hobby.

A couple of shots from one of my vertical hoods
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Edited by Needles, 18 April 2017 - 11:11 PM.

• Arathu, Heirloom and Cigarsam like this

#11 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:00 PM

That's some nice handy work there for sure. But vertical hoods are a poor choice for agar or general mycology work. You are risking a contamination every time you lift a lid of a petri or jar because your hands are literally right there, no way around it. Every time you are cutting and lifting agar your hands are right there over it, potentially cross contaminating.

Edited by sandman, 18 April 2017 - 11:02 PM.

#12 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:18 AM

Hi Sandman, I don't suppose you have a link handy to your previous post(s) on DIY flowhood builds?
Tnx in advance,
Cuboid.

#13 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:32 AM

Sorry I don't have any of my old links saved, but I recently helped Fuzzy build a hood

• Cuboid likes this

#14 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:55 PM

Sorry I don't have any of my old links saved, but I recently helped Fuzzy build a hood

Don't apologise, that has taken me on a journey back through great info! Many thanks :)

Edited by Cuboid, 19 April 2017 - 12:55 PM.

• sandman likes this

#15 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,956 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:28 PM

That is a nice untit and you can perform clean work in it successfully.

I prefer horizontal flow hoods myself but verticals do work also. Heck people even successfully use something called a shmuvbox or something like that and its just using the concept of clean air being pushed into a plastic bag which creates a very turbulent working environment, but if the particulate count is low, you can successfully perform clean work.

Something to consider is the mechanics of working in each are different. So do some research before you purchase or build. Many of the processes will feel awkward and uncomfortable until you become more fluent in the motions supported by muscle movement memory or simply stated, it will become a natural feel.

While only ISO approved HEPA and ULPA filters should be used, you can actually use regular Merv 14 hvac filters, in horizontal hoods ONLY. Which leads me into the main point i want to make.

When using a vertical hood, you absolutely need to use the ISO standard filters and preferably a class 1 rated filter which allows only particulates equal to or less then .1 micron in size @ 10 particulates per a cubic foot of air. Sounds like a lot but the average particulate count across the globe is 35,000,000 per cubic foot air while indoor air quality varies greatly. These variances make it challenging for a organization to come up with a average particulate count for INDOOR air quality on the scale of lets say a large city let alone a state, country, continental, or global scale. My point is the air quality can be several hundred thousand or may exceed 25 million per a cubic meter of ambient air.

Considering that^ and again i reiterate, you cant pull off a vertical hood using cheap hvac filters or even commercial air scrubber filters that are commonly used.

Staying with the Vertical hood for a moment, that filter isnt the only thing to consider. You need to be very disciplined in how you work in a vertical hood. Even with the best ULPA or HEPA filter, you need to keep in mind that particulates are still getting through.

The disadvantage is how vertical hoods deliver the air to the working surface making horizontal hoods ideal for clean work when absolute sterility is critical such as keeping nutrient rich medias clean of non targeted organisms ie molds, yeast, and bacteria.

Disadvantage doesnt mean will not work and again the technicue needs to be very disciplined. Gloves, tyvek sleeves, surgical apron, goggles or face shield, dust mask, and hair net should be worn. On average the body sheds 500,000 particulates a minute at rest and 45,000,000 while active. I will be honest and say that i do not where goggles or mask all the time.

Unlike horizontal hoods, one should not completely expose the entire surface to the air and the plate lid should be removed in a way that doesnt allow the air to reach the agar surface. Up and down movements is best practice in a vertical hood.

Laminar air flow is still critical as it will blow the contaminants down onto the surface before pushing them out of the working area. This allows for the air to pass around lets say a plate lid with out creating turbulent air currents.

Im not sure how Needles works in his hood but i have received at least 20 plates all being clean. I believe his filter was salvaged from a safety cabinet that PSU was selling. ISO class 1 filters are some of the most expensive filters you can buy but you have no option to go value here.

Now horizontal hoods still require discipline and best practices such as wearing PPE, not exposing any nutrient media to the filtered air any longer then neccasarry but there is much more room for error and the reason is, and what gives the Horizontal hood the advantage, the air will blow any contaminants across and out of the working surface in laminar fashion. With this in mind, as long as you have the air leaving and flowing across the surface in laminar fashion, you could use cheap filters. I however dont recommend this but when going for inexpensive, you can pull it off. You can have the dirtiest air coming out of the filter but again, if it moves and leaves in laminar fashion, you can keep your work clean. My first hood i used a 24x24x12 HEPA air scrubber filter with a efficiency of .99 or .98, i cant remember, but this not efficient by ISO but i never had contamination issues.

The disadvantage is that horizontal hoods have a larger footprint making them not ideal in tight spaces. Many have seen Needles lab and there is no way he would get a hood such as mine in his lab.

In summary DIY horizontal hoods could be built cheaper as you can use lower efficient filters which you simply cannot in vertical hoods. Movement in a vertical hood requires more discipline then in a horizontal respectively. Horizontal hoods have a larger footprint.

On the contrary, i took a agar plate and exposed the agar to every square inch of the filter face with a efficiency of.9998 and the test came back clean. Could you be more relaxed in a vertical hood then what i stated, yeah you can but again its about best practices.

My clean bench with a horizontal hood 2.0

https://mycotopia.ne...fb-version-20/#

Good read on comparison of the two.

https://www.terrauni...nar-flow-hoods/

ISO

https://m.terraunive...m-standards.php

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
  • sandman, Juthro, Needles and 2 others like this

#16 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:10 PM

Yes to all that  :thumbs_up:

• Microbe likes this

#17 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 882 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:35 PM

Another fine example of your exquisite knowledge and expertise there uncle mic. You said it best by saying " it's about best practices". Whether a horizontal or vertical flow hood it's still not going to be a cure all for contamination. I know personally that I have cut corners by maybe not flaming in between transfers. Not wiping down all surfaces Or just plain trying to be in a hurry. That's when contamination can set in.
Another thing, you called it a footprint, when works space is a premium it's like living in the country and building a large one level ranch house vs the city where you have to build upwards to conserve space.
Buying or building flow hoods and showing the progress has always been fun to follow. It definitely shows dedication to a amazing hobby....
  • sandman, Arathu, Microbe and 1 other like this

#18 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,956 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:02 AM

I made a error. I assume everyone realizes there is 99 before the decimal point so i always just use .xx .

Anyway my new filter is .9997 @ 3 micron and i think it was tested with a airflow speed @ 350 fpm. I dont come close to that and get about 130 fpm at the filter face so the filter is even more efficient then stated.

My old one that a buddy of mine now owns is .998 (not .98 as stated above) @ 3 micron with a tested air flow rate at a whopping 550 fpm. It is 12" in depth and was for a commercial air scrubber machine.

Just wanted to clear that up....

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

#19 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:35 AM

Well I'm on the band wagon too and now, thanks to an amazing brother, have a damned nice vertical hood............with even bigger plans as time goes on to just do a massive HEPA bench. And I will gift my little vertical hood, which is now retired, to someone just starting out so they can retire their cardboard boxes and garbage bags.......all of which WORK and are far better than the open counter in the old kitchen or Lysol spraying the bathroom.............. :biggrin: Still MAKE SURE YOU WASH and shower, and clean clothes, and use Tyvek sleeves, and face masks, and gloves, and have 50 gallons of 91% alcohol and tons of paper towels..................and etc. etc.........

To me it's about progress.......hell just for sandman and microbe (not really but for dramatic purposes)......someone else got me on pitri plates and even gifted me some GLASS..............holy shit! 

Hahahahahahaha

A

Edited by Arathu, 16 May 2017 - 11:37 AM.

• sandman and Needles like this

#20 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

I'm giving a lot thought to getting a flow hood , it does show dedication to mycology. They look like they take up some space.
  • Arathu, Needles and Microbe like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!