22 replies to this topic

#21 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,484 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:38 PM

The secondary measure for maintaining sterility is proper sealing and filter design.

Letting your PC/jars cool in a clean area (relatively), without too many mold spores (like a garage or outside), is key as well and speaks to microbe's secondary measure. Proper jar lids too.
Is that to say Garage/outdoors has higher mold spore count than other indoors areas?
Hard to determine. Regoin in which you live in along with indoor conditions such as old carpet, how many people whom live there, pets, and etc. Some homes can have a greater particulate count then outdoors.

I dont worry about where i cool my pc and typically leave mine in the garage. Although cats advice is accurate and best practice, it doesnt mattwr how dirty the air is where you cool the pc as long as you have a efficient filter and the container is sealed properly such as impulse sealing bags before pc'ing or using silicone gaskets with plastic storage caps.

Im confident with my filter design for jar lids and even the filters that are integrated with spawn bags. However im not confident in the tyvek tek where one leaves the bag open and folded. I also cram 7 2lb bags of oats in a 24 qt presto so i need to stand them up vertically and submerge the bottom 1/3 in water.

Anyway i used to sit my spawn bags after pc'ing on a table in my garage to inflate and without any issues. Again it comes all comes back to proper pc cycle, lid and filter design. I have since stopped waiting for the bags to inflate and just cut them open in my flow hood then twist them and apply a cable tie to close them back up.

Are you having issues with mold contamination?

It's just my philosophy to "manage the spore load" and to always be mindful of all possible contamination vectors, as you well know, it has served us both well. Since I started using the good silicone rings suggested by @cue (in that last link methinks), it vastly improved my lid set up/design, but sometimes I run jars that don't get them or I am in a hurry, so I want the least 'contaminated' air to be drawn in during the cool off. Nawmean jellybean?!

*side note, to whomever gave this thread one star, if you find this topic to be disagreeable, then stop being a pussy and write a post explaining why, don't be afraid, we will definitely destroy it though. If you don't want to learn about all microbial life and how to foster it and/or eliminate it, then you're probably on the wrong forum.  Just sayin' :biggrin:

post-147940-0-24941200-1492717062.png

Attached Thumbnails

• one star.PNG

Edited by CatsAndBats, 20 April 2017 - 03:02 PM.

• Microbe, cap10cubensis and sparrow95 like this

#22 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

Ahh i didnt know threads can be rated. Thats awesome!!!!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
  • CatsAndBats and sparrow95 like this

#23 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,484 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:45 PM

Ahh i didnt know threads can be rated. Thats awesome!!!!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

It builds your rep on your profile too I think. I'm pretty baked though, so maybe this is all a dream.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!