#1 Cybilopsin

Cybilopsin

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 191 posts

Donator

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:13 AM

IMG_0101.JPG

The pic above shows a new fruiting chamber setup. Not sure what it needs to complete it. A gallon of water in the bottom, with a quarter cup of H2002 added for sterility. An airstone connected to an airpump. A beta fish aquarium heater, which gets the water to 75F (not adjustable).

The two containers are sitting on top of jars, mostly above the surface of the water.

As of now there are no holes in the walls. There is a small hole in the lid which allows the wires/tubes to pass inside. Water is constantly being pumped in via the airstone, so I'm hoping that provides anough fresh air.

You can see that the containers have been fully colonized by the gray fluffy Pan mycelium. The grains are visible on the surface of the substrate. Substrate consists of coco coir and manure/humus from the garden center, plus gypsum and lime

During all of colonization the containers had the lids loosely on, now as you can see the lids are off and they are inside the fruiting chamber.

There is no casing layer yet, it will be made today and a veryt thin layer will be added. It will be verm/gypsum/lime since any peat moss. isnt abailable right now. Or should a little harden soil be added to the casing mix, perhaps?

No pins yet.

I have heard of a consolidation proccess which takes place with Pans after full colonization, when they get fresh air with lower humidity so that the substrate dries out somewhat. Apparently this assists in pin formation if done prior to adding the casing. The sequence supposedly goes colonization (humid)> comsolidation (less humid)> case and put directly in fruiting conditions (humid) > pins. I guess we'll find out how true this is.

Thoughts? Advice? Concerns? thanks,
  • CatsAndBats and peacefrog like this

#2 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,107 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:37 AM

You may be overthinking this. You've fruited cubes right? It's essentially the same except the casing isn't optional, they're more sensitive to direct misting and they like more FAE, IMHO. I just kept mine in a big tub with holes covered with micropore tape and misted the walls with occasional fanning to increase evaporation on the cultures.

https://mycotopia.ne...-pans-grow-log/

https://mycotopia.ne...5-ape-and-pans/

https://mycotopia.ne...ome-pans-again/

• peacefrog and cap10cubensis like this

#3 cap10cubensis

cap10cubensis

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:43 AM

Yep I agree with bats keep it simple iv fruited many pans and I'm no master but iv always had success with keeping it simple good luck keep us posted .I'v never been a fan of standing pools of water that's just me tho
  • peacefrog likes this

#4 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,414 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:57 PM

You should manually fan those a few times a day. They grow in just about the same conditions as cubes, just with a mandatory casing layer of some sort and a little more FAE.

And remember that pans, in the fruiting cycle, move much quicker than cubes.

Good luck.
  • CatsAndBats and peacefrog like this

#5 panaho

panaho

One Grow Cultivation Guru!

• Free Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:16 PM

When I had good success with pans  (multi spore) , the growth tended to look more or less  like a good solid growth of just about any other type of mushroom.  I would let those grow without fresh air for a while to more fully colonize whatever type of substrate you are using.  Otherwise things are looking good . Cactus mix works well as a casing.

#6 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,568 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:43 PM

Like said above, very well I might add, if you can grow cubes, you can grow pans. Keeping it simple is great advice. I have tried so many automated systems it's pitiful really, and with the exception of a properly dialed in greenhouse, they all have sucked compared to other more passive systems.

I always consolidate my pan subs 3-6 days before casing, others do not. Consolidation doesn't hurt a thing, so I highly recommend it to anyone.

I look forward to your results. Good vibes!
  • Microbe and CatsAndBats like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!