22 replies to this topic

#1 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:48 PM

My LC lids are designed to aseptically aspirate the liquid cultures via a syringe without a needle, while incorporating a filter membrane to allow gas exchange. I have found that large gauge needles tend to cut chunks out of inoculation ports, real rubber ports and also diy silicone ports. I have seen large chunks of red rubber floating inside of my LC jars and syringes after aspiration many times. This is an obvious vector of contamination. By skipping the port we can beat this issue while also gaining some major convenience. My lids revolve around a neat little part I found, it is a polypropylene male/female luer lock plug. This plug can be used as is as a luer lock cap, or using a heated nail you can burn out the middle and it becomes a luer lock bulkhead adapter. My lids consist of these main parts:

• Plastic Storage Lid
  • Silicone Ring
  • 3x PP M/F Luer plugs, 2 opened up with a heated nail and 1 unmolested
  • 1x Syringe Filter, PP Membrane .22 micron 13mm
Picture of the lid and parts
IMG 20170420 173612216   Copy

Here is the finished lid with the 3rd PP plug being used as a cap on the aspiration port.
IMG 20170420 173448938   Copy

Here is the lid with the plug removed and a syringe locked into the port for aspiration.
IMG 20170420 175042417   Copy

Construction of the lid goes as follows:
  • Drill 2 5mm holes in your lid 10mm from the edge, opposite each other.
  • Use sandpaper to rough up the area around both holes on both sides of the lid.
  • Use pliers or drill press to hold 10d nail, heat with torch, wait a few seconds, plunge through 2 of your PP luer plugs to open it up.
  • Feed the 2x moddified luer plugs into the holes, one male up and one female up.
  • Carefully using permatex clear silicone (red is too soft, the ports will fall off) seal the 2 luer ports to the lid with a neat bead, top and bottom.
  • Allow 24 hours to cure.
  • Place silicone ring onto underside of plastic lid and plug the female luer lock port with the unmolested plug.

Personally I PC the LC with the syringe filter removed in its own separate foil pack, covering the male port with a small piece of foil and cooling the cycle in a flowhood before attaching the filter. This is unnecessary but I figure the filter will last much longer without having a bunch of hot sugar vapor blasting through it each pressure cooker cycle. 

The cap protects the female port, keeping it completely sterile. When you are ready to aspirate, in a flowhood or still air box remove the plug, attach syringe, tilt, suck, replace plug.

IMG 20170420 173827947   Copy
IMG 20170420 173711892   Copy

Edited by sandman, 20 April 2017 - 06:49 PM.

• MLBjammer, Mrs.Hippie3, Tenderfoot and 5 others like this

#2 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

"DOOR"

• Gold VIP
  • 498 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:37 PM

• 3x PP M/F Luer plugs, 2 opened up with a heated nail and 1 unmolested

Thanks for writing this up. I PC my first batch of LC yesterday and I will file this away for next time.

Additional credit for the dot points and saying unmolested.
  • sandman, MLBjammer, Nsnail and 1 other like this

#3 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:35 AM

Great to see you active with all your wizardry in place, SM.  This will help lots of folks and is destined for the vaults, of course.

• sandman likes this

#4 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,223 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:03 AM

Why not simply silicone the syringe filter directly to the jar lid?

• sandman likes this

#5 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:08 AM

Because the filter is now replaceable so the lid will last forever. Also I don't like to PC the lids with the filter in place because I think that hot sugar vapor blasting through the tiny little filter can't be good for it, so I pc with the filter unscrewed in its own foil packet and screw it on after it cools in the hood.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#6 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,244 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:51 PM

nice write up sandy, thanks for your contributions to this awesome site!

• sandman likes this

#7 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,959 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:58 PM

Nice! Add a stainless or aluminum tube to the draw port and you will have a sweet NTJL!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
  • Tenderfoot likes this

#8 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

You can easily attach a long luer lock needle to the underside of the port but it interferes with the stir bar if it goes all the way to the bottom, and if it doesn't go all the way to the bottom there will be waste. Not sure what NTJL stands for though. You just tilt the jar and suck it up. The filter is also waterproof (if you get hydrophobic PP filters) no need to worry when you tilt it.

#9 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,468 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:11 PM

NTJL = no tilt jerk lids ?

#10 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:13 PM

Who you calling a lid?

#11 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,468 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:18 PM

Who you calling a lid?

Well played, now make that your signature.  ;)

#12 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:24 PM

If no tilt is your thing, these can no tilt you titties smooth off.
IMG 20170421 201841291[1]
What, this? Oh it's just my little 13.5 incher. Hello ladies.
IMG 20170421 201816359[1]

• coorsmikey, Microbe, wharfrat and 2 others like this

#13 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,244 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:21 PM

problem with the no tilt, is myc is often suspended above the bottom, i like to suck myc up not a syringe of just liquid.. i really do prefer to use a long needle through an injection port. 

• coorsmikey and Microbe like this

#14 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:31 PM

Yea you definitely don't want to suck up just water and no inoculant. I put the jars on the stir plate before sucking up into syringes at as high a speed as the bar can take to get a nice LC smoothie, and gently swirl the jar before each syringe is attached and you suck it up. I also don't use it no tilt style, just a straight port and tilt.

• coorsmikey, Microbe and wharfrat like this

#15 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:34 PM

I'll do a separate write up with how they are actually used as well.

#16 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,244 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:41 PM

I'll do a separate write up with how they are actually used as well.

let me know if you want to combine it to this thread, i can work it in there with the original post, or as the second post

• sandman likes this

#17 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

very good, yes I will need you to do that and make a few changes.

#18 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,959 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:29 PM

Who you calling a lid?

Plenty enough room for a stir bar qnd it is ideal to use aluminum obviously if one were wanting to use a stir plate.

I always just shake a few times a day and use shards of safety glass in them but im a glc guy anyway and used these for GLC and no pour agar but thwy work great for LC.

I dont execute no pour agar anymore neither do i use these as glc anymore. I pour my agar and my water for glc. I literally take a jar of sterilized water and in front of my flowhood, open a spawn bag and then just pour the water in before pushing a sharp through the bag to draw the myc water up and then aspirate into the bag through the open top.

I used these when i was doing SAB and open air counter work and even up to the last year after owning a flowhood for most of my hobby years.

The NTJL are still valuable to me and i can still use counter inoculations if i needed to.

The lid you see below is altered with 3 filter patch holes. I originally went with no holes other then 2 silicone ports for 2 side straight insulations avenues and 1 syringe filter for allowing air in to create a vacuum. My syringe filter popped off and i decided i wasnt ever going to use these as glc jars and only for water and agar draw so i minimized the amount of air flow through a single port( my low micron syringe filters popped off) but i dont even use them for that anymore.

I have given away several already and will give away the remainder of the 2 1 liter lids, 4 quart size lids, and 4 pint size lids. When i say size lids, i mean tube length as all my lids are wide mouth and the tubes can be cut down to fit the desire depth of the jar. You can trim it to leave enough room for the stir bar.

I love these NTJL but they are tedious to work with even using a 60 cc syringe. Milking 2lb spawn bags is simple with 2" or 4" syringe and to start that secondary master (used to start working spawn) can be done with a 4oz or 8 oz jar using a 2" or 4" sharp. Heck i can get 3/4 of the way down to the bottom in a 1/2 pint jar which is ok but i dont milk jars more then once anymore.

Although i have milked a jar of oats 3 times and a jar of popcorn 5 times, i have discovered that after the first milking, mycelia mass is reduced significantly and the culture also slows down significantly. This is observed on agar and in grain. Its simoler for me to take a 100 mm plate and inoculate many 4 or 8 ounce jars of grain. At the end you have betyer efficiency then if you were to drive for the absolute mileage of the glc jar. Scenscense presents itself at a stupid and silly speed. The culture after a recovery of the first milking reminds me of a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone.

That^ makes great sense as senescence at the cellular level is a process that imposes permanent proliferative arrest on cells in response to various stressors. But in mushrooms this genetic mutation is transferred and moves through the interconnected hyphal cells. So what happens is you shake the shit of the culture, and add the stress of flooding, as the culture recovers it begins scenscense and the entire colony that recovers will demonstrate this mutation.

Now slow doesnt mean bad. I have wore out many cultures to the point it went from 3 day colonization of a 60 mm plate to 14 days and from 5 days shoebox colonization to 2 weeks but it still fruited like a mycelial whore.

Wow way off track. Im drunk, im celebrating my brothers memory as he passed today and i am simply a fucking mushroom nerd......

I keep listening to a voicemail of my brother saying," oh my god...oh my god...the peak man...the peak man...i cant believe you....i love you so much man"!

My brother is a pyschonaut and that voicemail means the world to me in a very arrogant way.

I love all you guys/gals and there are few of you that are very special to me and you all know who you are. Im going to get back to finishing my Crown Royal and play PS4 with my son.

You guys/gals are not only my escape but a huge part of my life and growing mushrooms only makes up a fraction of how i consider our relationship. I havent met 99.9997 (my flow hood filter lol) of you guys/gals.....but you all mean more to me then 99.9999 of my friends in the flesh.

Keeping growing topia and i love all you!!!!!!0de2b39c73dc0afaa1789bcf1513cd2f.jpge73bf20d68fddf41ef8ee63dbe10dc10.jpg1b8dc0fd167d07a58e6dcd0266185351.jpg13e8c823a557b3264e90884c82bd6fe6.jpgfa3ba4936cda988cdd002d7a4b66cf47.jpga4523d435189ae060c2645f87fa3d5d7.jpg

#19 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,959 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:31 PM

If no tilt is your thing, these can no tilt you titties smooth off.

What, this? Oh it's just my little 13.5 incher. Hello ladies.

Ahh shit, you posted this while i was typing my post. That is slick man! Nice clean design..

#20 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,959 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:03 PM

Hold on i need to explain why i have 3 filter patches on my NTJL. I original had syringe filters with a efficiency of .0009 (2 of them) and 1 silicone inoculation port. Under pressure these syringe filters couldnt hang on being siliconed to storage caps even after cross hashing around the holes before applying the silicone. Anyway i removed the silicone port and the syringe filters and covered with my eazyfelt-micropore filter not sure of how i was going to use the lids. Just wanted to explain why there were 3 filters.

I

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!