• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BigTexas

BigTexas

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:53 PM

Ive been doing really well with my routine and process, a 17 gal tub will fetch me consistently 4-5 decent flushes on the top without fanning or misting ever, recently i've been taking the whole cake and flipping it over and letting new pinsets form, ive been getting at least 3 more small flushes before funk shows and or growth has stopped. Ive been experimenting with different substrates and "food". Im trying to find what makes these magic guys thicker and heartier while not sacrificing too much potency. Only thing ive seen so far is worm castings/guano changes the way they feel and seem to be slightly denser. Any advice is welcomed.

• Spooner and tailsmcsnails like this

#2 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,027 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:25 AM

Higher 02 levels.

The trick is too increase FAE without drying out the cakes.

#3 BigTexas

BigTexas

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:32 AM

Thats the thinking I had when setting up my mono tubs, I have them setup with just enough holes and polyfill to allow FAE and the cake stays wet for several weeks. Is there such thing as too much co2? I do welding with CO2 and have a tank in the shop I could set something up to give them co2 every few hours. 

#4 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 460 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

Not CO2, O2. Excess CO2 will stall them, hence the need for FAE.
  • Cue likes this

#5 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,741 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:05 AM

Thats the thinking I had when setting up my mono tubs, I have them setup with just enough holes and polyfill to allow FAE and the cake stays wet for several weeks. Is there such thing as too much co2? I do welding with CO2 and have a tank in the shop I could set something up to give them co2 every few hours. 

o2, not co2.

Lower temps give more time for biomass to develop IMHO/IME. For example indoor fruits grown in the 90s are usually much thinner than fruits in the 60's. Just through casual observation though, I have no data to back it.

This should be of interest to you:

https://mycotopia.ne...and-techniques/

#6 BigTexas

BigTexas

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:09 PM

Ah ha, had a brain fart yeah definitely don't need co2 right now. Idk what I was thinking lol. I have two oscillating fans inside their setup so they are getting enough, not to dry the cake out. Ive yet to ever have to mist them. The cake always has dew on the tops so my moisture % is spot on. 

So in theory if I added more poly fill holes to up weight, id be sacrificing RH and moisture in sub over a shorter time.

#7 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,741 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:23 PM

So in theory if I added more poly fill holes to up weight, id be sacrificing RH and moisture in sub over a shorter time.

Wait what?

#8 BigTexas

BigTexas

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:31 PM

Sorry about the confusion, what im seeing is If I added more holes to the tub to increase FAE it would help with weight?

• MLBjammer likes this

#9 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,741 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:34 PM

Sorry about the confusion, what im seeing is If I added more holes to the tub to increase FAE it would help with weight?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, added holes. Sounds legit. :biggrin:

• MLBjammer likes this

#10 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,027 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:38 AM

When I did cakes I suspended the cakes on a rack over a couple inches of water, then ran an air wand in the water. This took care of both rH and O2.

IMO if you want to grow shrooms in bulk, then go with a bulk substrate.

• MLBjammer and Juthro like this

#11 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,380 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:03 AM

What you are talking about is a complicated issue because it depends on many different factors--genetics, moisture content, air flow, etc.

I would recommend reading all of Fahtster's cake threads--I have never seen a better cake grower--to start with.

As to your question, I would add double-end casings to the cakes before I increased FAE in your current set-up.  The extra air can dry out your cakes quickly, and the DEC will allow to to replenish moisture easily.

And I have seen just about every variation of cake ingredient, and I have found that a basic BRF/vermiculite formula is as effective as anything (I grew nothing but cakes for several years).

And if you are simply looking for much larger flushes, go to bulk, like Cue said.

Good luck.

#12 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,741 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:07 AM

We should get a cake growing contest going!

#13 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,027 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:11 AM

I have found that a basic BRF/vermiculite formula is as effective as anything

http://www.livescien...tion-facts.html

Nutrient profile

Brown rice is a highly nutritious food. It is a whole grain that is relatively low in calories (216 calories per cup), high in fiber, gluten-free and can be incorporated into a variety of dishes. Kelly Toups, a registered dietician with the Whole Grains Council, said, “Brown rice is a good source of magnesium, phosphorus, selenium, thiamin, niacin and vitamin B6, and an excellent source of manganese, with 88 percent of your daily manganese in just one cup cooked.” She noted that a "good source" food contains at least 10 percent of the recommended daily value of a nutrient in one serving, while an "excellent source" contains at least 20 percent of the recommended daily value of a nutrient in one serving. 

Toups told Live Science: “A large study found that those eating the most whole grains had significantly higher amounts of fiber, energy and polyunsaturated fats, as well as all micronutrients (except vitamin B-12 and sodium).”

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!