• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sevenwives

sevenwives

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:38 AM

I haven't been on here for years, so forgive in advance for asking stupid questions. Please?

Anywho, years of nearly flawless results have come to an end as this new, vexing phenomenon is taking place. 

The top quarter inch of the pf cakes are not colonizing, while the bottom 80% are super strong, even fruiting. simple as that.

What's going on?

Elevation? poor gas exchange? cursed by an ex?

Should the uncolonized end be cut off? Should they be chambered, as is? 

Any info, or links would be appreciated.

Cheers.

ps photo is uncolonized substrate, not just barrier verm. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3548.JPG

#2 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,912 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:12 AM

I'd like to see some more pics.

The mycelium kinda doesn't look right but that would make sense because it's not going quite right. What does it smell like? What is your PF recipe?

Edited by sandman, 21 April 2017 - 08:13 AM.

• MLBjammer likes this

#3 mattyfresh

mattyfresh

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 280 posts

Donator

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

With just the single photo its hard to determine what is the issue. Its a possibility of several factors. Are you using a home made syringe? Since theres no weird coloration its probably a bacterial contam and that could also be cause to why your mycelium is more fluffy than rhizo. Pictures of the fruits could help determine bacterial contam. Like vert.....
  • Cue likes this

#4 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,505 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:25 AM

Were they germinated in the pf cake or are you working with tissue/cloned material?

#5 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 231 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:12 PM

Odd how uniform that looks. Anything at all different about these cakes? I think you indicated it was a new problem, but is happening with all cakes. Review method start to finish, something must have changed. Even things you think can't be the problem, sometimes turn out to be the problem.
  • Cue likes this

#6 sevenwives

sevenwives

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:05 PM

This is happening to some degree on all cakes, different strains, different batches, different verm, different days. There is no odor, nor bacteria to be detected, and all have produced strong, healthy fruit. 

Using regular, tried-and-true pf TEK recipe, with no variations from past successes. 

Again, not to say it's not ultimately successful, but I've been cutting the uncolonized ends off, leaving me with less cake to fruit. 

If elevation is not a factor (5300 ft), then perhaps the room 6x6x8, which does not have good ventilation, is lacking proper oxygen?

#7 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,505 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

What's your lid set up? Just holes and a verm layer? No verm layer?

#8 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 7,973 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:30 AM

Sounds like anaerobic bacteria to me.

Since you have in the past had success I assume that you have your sterilization down.

So, I'm guessing that you may now have a GE issue, which is promoting the growth of anaerobic bacteria.

Is your vermiculite finer than it used to be?

Are grinding the brown rice finer than you used to?

Another possibility is that your mix a little too wet, and some water is settling on the bottom. This will also promote the growth bad bacteria.

BTW, I'm one of the last ones around here to give advice on a PF grow. Don't look at my post count, because I never grew very many PF cakes, and that was years ago.

I'm just throwing out some possibilities.

#9 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:08 AM

I think I would start with some fresh spores.  They mycelium on that cake looks a bit weak to me.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!