#1 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:04 PM

Anyone using UV C lamps to kill germs in the air in grow and work areas ?

I've been thinking about buying one and running it to reduce floating contams. They use these in operating rooms and make them for homes too. I have seen a dual lamp that is designed to fit in a heating & cooling duct , only $55.

Thanks for any opinions or product reviews.

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,757 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:17 PM

from what i have read, it will not work for what we are doing, and it is a bit dangerous. as far as experience, i have none. i have seen the subject brought up several times in other reputable forums and that is the consensus. 

• Needles, EYMAIOS and Heirloom like this

#3 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:03 AM

Thanks Wharf. This is one inexpensive model. I have thought about getting a uv c in my heapa filter also for added protection. I use a small room, that's always closed.

This is one inexpensive model for small rooms.

https://www.amazon.c...vc air purifier

Attached Thumbnails

• AUVC.jpg

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 28 April 2017 - 12:04 AM.

#4 RiK

RiK

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:58 AM

Very interesting..

Edited by RiK, 28 April 2017 - 03:58 AM.

#5 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:40 AM

i have seen the subject brought up several times in other reputable forums and that is the consensus. 

The subject has been brought up here as well. If memory serves me correctly TVCasualty had some input to the topic. But, I can't remember the title the of the thread.

• Microbe and Heirloom like this

#6 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,208 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:03 AM

i have seen the subject brought up several times in other reputable forums and that is the consensus. 

The subject has been brought up here as well. If memory serves me correctly TVCasualty had some input to the topic. But, I can't remember the title the of the thread.

Yeah, most of what we do is "aseptic" work and not really "sterile" in a technical sense, but the degree of asepsis we must achieve is critical to success.

That's why UV by itself is not sufficient for tissue-culture work; unless one is using an insanely-powerful UV source (like from plasma-arc lights) then the strongest bulbs typically available only claim up to a 99% efficiency in terms of killing airborne microbes from a single pass (of air or water passing by the bulb).

The rating system for mechanical filters doesn't apply to germicidal UV "filters" (and vice-versa; the ratings systems are apples-and-oranges, which may lead to some confusion for those just starting to look into this stuff). For example, a true-HEPA filter is rated at 99.97% @ 0.3 microns, which means for every 10,000 particles that enter the filter that are 0.3 microns or larger, around 3 make it through.

UV bulbs are not rated for particle size like HEPA filters are, they're instead rated for their single-pass effectiveness against airborne (or waterborne) microbes. So a "99%" UV bulb kills 99% of microbes in a single pass, but only if they are directly exposed to the UV-C light. If larger particles are not filtered out before the air is irradiated with UV then a "99%" rating is meaningless. And even if all the large particles are mechanically filtered out of the air, a 99% rating still means that 100 out of every 10,000 microbes survive.

That's over 30 times as many surviving contaminants in the air as can slip through a HEPA filter, and that assumes the UV bulb is still working within spec, which after a few months may not not be the case. A HEPA filter actually tends to get more efficient over time due to clogging up with particles (which also gradually increases its static resistance until the flow is restricted too much and it's time to replace it).

Using UV after HEPA filtration means the UV would be killing 99% of the microbes that made it through the HEPA, so if all particles passing through a HEPA were microbes, a pass-through survival rate of 3 per 10,000 could drop to ~0.03 per 10,000 when UV is added. Since 3/10000 is perfectly adequate for tissue culture work with fungi, it appears to be unnecessary to combine UV with a HEPA filter.

But when UV is used to reduce the ambient spore load in the air throughout our whole house (such as by installing a light in our central HVAC duct), it can have a profound effect on our contamination rates once the cakes or trays are transferred to the FC and the misting/fanning starts. So I'm a big fan of UV, but only in a very specific context.

found here: https://mycotopia.ne...lization/page-2

• Needles, Heirloom and wharfrat like this

#7 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:37 AM

Thanks I got the answer , not worth buying. I forgot I had read that thread. Thanks
  • Needles, Microbe and wharfrat like this

#8 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

I have a small hepa filter I found at goodwill that has an internal UVC light and I use it to filter my room, I mean why not it's not going to hurt anything. I'm sure it's mostly gimmick, but less sporeload is less sporeload.

• MLBjammer, Needles, EYMAIOS and 1 other like this

#9 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,378 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:50 AM

My biologIcal safety cabinet has one built in from the factory.
I'm working out of state until next week so when I get home I will get the model number. I think it's a 3 foot tube and was only about 20 bucks. You may be able to build it into a flow hood.
I will wipe down the cabinet well with isopropyl then run the hepa filter and uv light. I honestly don't think that it is that important, not as much as clean aseptic practice.
We have discussed this subject on other threads. Having a HEPA filter, uv light doesn't make you immune to contamination. It helps but keeping everything clean is the key.
  • MLBjammer, Cue and Microbe like this

#10 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,660 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:01 AM

My biologIcal safety cabinet has one built in from the factory.
I'm working out of state until next week so when I get home I will get the model number. I think it's a 3 foot tube and was only about 20 bucks. You may be able to build it into a flow hood.
I will wipe down the cabinet well with isopropyl then run the hepa filter and uv light. I honestly don't think that it is that important, not as much as clean aseptic practice.
We have discussed this subject on other threads. Having a HEPA filter, uv light doesn't make you immune to contamination. It helps but keeping everything clean is the key.

I built one into mine that I run for about half an hour before I do my work.....Like Needles said after the good wipe-down with isopropyl ......While I'm working I don't need to be exposing my body parts to UV so it's off......it's just my preference.

I also wash my workstation with bleach water and clean the filter unit regularly too.......tool in a sterile jar that gets filled with alcohol.......and consistent technique......don't hesitate to rehearse the planned work either....

Cleanliness is next to targeted fungi-ness.............else you might get random growthliness.............which usually makes for good compost at best...........IMHO

A

• MLBjammer, Needles and Microbe like this

#11 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:08 AM

Those lights on some hoods are only intended to keep the work surface sanitary while the hood is turned off. Under no circumstances should anyone work with a UVC light exposed to their skin or eyes.

http://www.escogloba...rs/UV_lamps.pdf

• MLBjammer, Needles, EYMAIOS and 1 other like this

#12 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,208 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:15 AM

just-so-you-24kree.jpg

• MLBjammer and 555 like this

#13 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,378 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:16 AM

Those lights on some hoods are only intended to keep the work surface sanitary while the hood is turned off. Under no circumstances should anyone work with a UVC light exposed to their skin or eyes.

Agree, it sounded like I worked with mine on. Not the case. I will run the fan and uv for 20 minutes or so after cleaning the cabinet. Then I turn off uv and switch on the florescent bulb. Yes, exposure to ultra violate light can burn skin and harm eyes.

#14 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,660 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:17 AM

Exactly my thoughts......................

#15 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,727 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:22 AM

Anyone using UV C lamps to kill germs in the air in grow and work areas ?

I've been thinking about buying one and running it to reduce floating contams. They use these in operating rooms and make them for homes too. I have seen a dual lamp that is designed to fit in a heating & cooling duct , only $55.

Thanks for any opinions or product reviews.

The sun puts out UV by the absolute shitload... and the outside air, while fresh, is not sterile. Admittedly the atmosphere filters out nearly all the UV-C.

And there's always the risk to you being exposed to some quite energetic radiation.

And I think you'll find the bacteria (etc) you are trying to kill might not be all that badly affected.

I think there's a few other things I'd put the money toward first.

• MLBjammer, Microbe and Heirloom like this

#16 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:44 AM

Yea it sounded too good to be true. I'll use the money to buy some spores I haven't tried yet, thinking about mexi cub and some malabar among others.

Thanks you guys for your opinions.

#17 555

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

This is a very interesting subject that has caught my attention before. A disabled neighbor of mine well stopped working last year. Finally got an "expert" to come to her house and he pulled the sump pump up and out, lucky for her it was just a broken wire. I use spring water, my spring is located 900 feet above my cabin. I've had it tested, it was OK. No one lives close to it (Thank God, it is very close to Cherokee Nation Forest). I know for sure there is no chlorine or limestone in it. However, it is still spring water. I picked this well diggers mind about water of course and pollution. He then showed me a little bulb, about 4 inches long and told me this is what they now use to purify water?? He told me that the bulb is suspended in the water line and disinfects the water as it moves by. The downside is, it must be replaced every year. The bulb its self costs around a hundred dollars. I have no idea where in the line it is installed and if the bulb can be replaced by the owner... The attached jpg explains it a little bit better. Here is some more info;

Microscopic pathogens including E. Coli, Cryptosporidium, and Giardia can infiltrate water due to aging infrastructure, power outages, flooding, or water line breaks.
Boil water alerts are issued when a municipal water supply has been contaminated by disease-causing organisms.
Pelican UV systems destroy 99.9% of harmful pathogens, viruses, and bacteria to protect your home against contaminated water.
Also important for private well owners, whose unregulated systems face an ever-changing environment.

Is UV Safe?
UV light has germicidal properties that make it a trusted disinfectant.
Pelican UV systems are certified by the NSF, a non-profit organization that ensures the safety of water filtration systems.
UV systems provide chemical-free water disinfection, which means no chlorine or chemical byproducts.
The system also does not impact taste or odor, ensuring your family is enjoying cleaner, tastier water for years to come.

Now, will this work in open air??? The cost of this one in high! (gulp) But, when your talking about your life, maybe that isn't so high? I seen a cheaper version for small fish ponds at Lowes for around a hundred dollars.. One day, I WILL check it out but for now I will use what has been proven to work...

Attached Thumbnails

• UV-Light-Systems.jpg

• Microbe and RedHighHeels like this

#18 555

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:17 PM

WOW!! More GREAT info about UV and black lights!!   http://inspectapedia...ms.php#PostTest

#19 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

Anyone using ozone to kill contams in the air in conjunction with a heap filter before going into a room to work?

555 you can get those uv c water sterilizers online , should be no problem to install one. They also use them in backyard ponds to kill algae keeping pond water clear.
  • 555 likes this

#20 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:58 PM

Not going to get as techy as most of you but microbes can survive hours under the hue of UV lights. Unless the microbe is under the rays emitted, it takes higes amounts of time respectively speaking.

Keep this in mind and i know this might be hard to comprehend but microbes can hide behind other microbes and survive the microbial equivalent of a nuclear war. Well not exactly but i think i made it clear.

Something else to consider besides microbes hiding behind microbes is that there are different exposure times required for different microbes. How can we say 20 minutes before working is long enough or even 24 hours?

Lets say we use 20 minutes, many microbes may become more agressive in their fight for survival when stressed. A example is a 10% bleach solution will kill almost every microbe on planet including endospores, which we dont have to worry about like we think we do, but if you go up to lets say 15% it agitates the microbial life and it will fight harder.

To further the example lets say microbe77 which is typically destroyed in a 10% bleach solution under 10 minutes, expose it to a 20% solution, it may take 15 minutes. This is important to know because there is a standard exposure time to X amount/concentration there are no individual studies on every bacterium which would be astronomical numbers into the quadrillions .....but it would not hurt to use a G-UV light.

Now here is why im against having one. I have embraced bacteria in my cultivation and with control, encourage it to thrive for a short while and for purposes im not going into detail here but my point is, i feel mold is a much more problem and threat for us which kimd of throws the G-UV out the window. It does not efficiently destroy mold and spores are even more difficult.

My opinion....

Use 10% bleach solution and let it lay for 10 minutes before wiping off.

If using a flowhood, use a appropriate filter and make sure you are achieving laminar flow.

Use appropriate PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) or what i like to call CPE (Culture Protective Equipment).

PC or autoclave everything that will come in contact with your culture.i pc my scaple baldes that are gamma ray steralized and my syringes even though the packaging is intact.

Regular cleaning of the home or facility, changing of HVAC filters, use efficient upright vacuums, and believe it or not, allow fresh outdoor air into your home when you can.

Ummmmm i forget what i was saying. Another drunk night for the El~microbe , thays spanish for microbe......

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Edited by Microbe, 02 May 2017 - 09:09 PM.

• Needles likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!