#1 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,030 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:04 PM

This guy lived alone in the woods for 27 years. What is interesting is his comment near the bottom of the article about how he basically achieved "ego death" through solitude.

https://www.google.c...true-hermit/amp
  • Alder Logs, shakid and TyPi like this

#2 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 11,522 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:11 PM

I caught the story last night on George Knapp.   If he hadn't been caught, we'd have never known, but ya gotta kind of wish he got to keep it going.   I was never athletic enough to do what he did, but being alone doesn't bother me all that much.   If he'd taken Tom Brown Jr.'s course, he might have not had to be a burglar.   I can imagine that being in a prison population was really tough for the guy.   I think I will buy the book.

• Juthro and SteampunkScientist like this

#3 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,030 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:42 PM

It's odd.... The whole human relationship thing. The desire for community, and those who perpetually seem to float through it, or outside it ( way outside in Mr. Knights case ).

He seems to almost have a complete lack of need for relationship even to family. He is a moral "psychopath" you might say. The opposite of the evil kind.

#4 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,116 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:21 PM

If he has to steal to survive he's not very moral and not very good in the woods.

Sorry, but I can't get behind celebrating his choices.

There's an alternate story that I think better represents the values being wrapped around this dudes' malfunctions.

Dick Proennecke (I'll verify the name and details shortly) worked 50 years as a tool maker then opted to live in the wilds of Alaska basically alone and without help. He filmed his life up there and it shows up on PBS occasionally as a documentary. It's a study in self reliance, but more importantly competence. And why would that be impossible in a land rich in resources AND totally inhospitable 5 months out of the year? He was a man who prepared and succeeded.

Contrast that story with a wet behind the ears young "adult" who flaked out and had to steal to eat. Shouldn't we always choose to get behind the success story?

edit: here's the link to a partial of the documentary - more there if you're interested

[Direct Link]

Edited by pharmer, 02 May 2017 - 01:23 PM.

• SteampunkScientist and sparrow95 like this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,949 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

Real close Pharmer, loose the c in the last name, and you got it. Watching what this old guy could do with his hands, and mind is truly impressive. I wish I had half the skills this old timer had.

There is also a book of his journals called, "One Mans Wilderness". Dick co-wrote the book with author Sam Keith, and it is a very good read.
  • SteampunkScientist likes this

#6 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,030 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:32 PM

Yep! Posted that video myself 2 years back... To be sure, I was not behind this Knight guy, just thought it was interesting.

Certainly Dick Proenneke was an amazing talent. To think he built all that with simple hand tools is amazing.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 02 May 2017 - 07:33 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#7 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,116 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:48 PM

There was another similar story about another willing drop-out recently who got lost in the North Woods and perished in an abandoned bus starving and rolling around in his own shit. Can't remember his name but he got this same kind of attention when his story became known.

Somehow the script gets flipped and these guys are presented as some kind of modern day Grisly Adams' or poet warriors without a cause. But when you strip away the BS they just people who didn't find a way to fit into "normal" society and couldn't hack it in the woods either. Sad stories, to be sure, but not heroic.

Jeez, aint I on a crank today???

Edited by pharmer, 02 May 2017 - 07:49 PM.

• Juthro, Spooner and SteampunkScientist like this

#8 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,949 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:58 PM

I think your thinking of Chris McCandless. Jon Krakauer wrote a book titled 'Into the Wild' about him.

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia...pher_McCandless

Edited by Juthro, 02 May 2017 - 08:03 PM.

#9 TyPi

TyPi

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:38 PM

I read the tittle Steampunk, and just started laughing. Hahaha

#10 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:30 PM

Proeneke is a thing of the past because he would be regulated out today.  You need permits to cut those logs and get those fish and trap the game.  McCandless was just a douchebag its pretty sad he gets so much attention.

I can relate to the hermit as I at least tried living a big chunk of my adult life like that.  And yes I did steal at least some.  Mostly food I'd find unattended on rich people's barbecues.  I tried working but it was hard to find work in Hawaii if I didn't own a thrity thousand dollar truck to show up in.  I went everywhere on a mountain bike and worked my ass off when I could but it was never enough to have my phone on 24 hours a day waiting for someone to hire me.  Hunger makes you do shit.

I have always wondered why I am so different but although I occasionally enjoy interacting with people I think I could be one of those people they send to Mars on a one way ticket.  Years ago before I found mushrooms and got my shit together I spent a couple weeks in jail and actually enjoyed solitary confinement on at least some level.  Jailers didn't like that as they wanted me to SUFFER and put me back in with all the retards and their loud as shit TV playing Jerry Springer and other mindless shit all day and night.  That was pure hell.

I dunno it just seems like people don't interest me that much.  Its very few people that actually do anything of interest to me.  Most people just want to talk about themselves and the people they hate.  Meanwhile I'm trying to grow mushrooms to improve people's lives and no one seems to care.  And in fact a lot of people would probably rat me out and get me tossed in prison if they knew ALL the mushrooms I grow.

I've considered going back to Hawaii and living in my old lava fields and caves, etc but although it is peaceful the retirement plan is pure shit.  Even then I could see my body was gonna grow old and eventually I wouldn't be able to work all day in the hot sun for a lunch plate and some beer.  So eventually I had to concede and re enter society .  And that is probably where my heart problems started.

It would be interesting to see the follow up on this guy and how he progresses.  I'm guessing he probably won't live too long.

#11 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,949 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:10 PM

Proeneke is a thing of the past because he would be regulated out today.  You need permits to cut those logs and get those fish and trap the game.  McCandless was just a douchebag its pretty sad he gets so much attention.

With all due respect, you don't know what your talking about. You have no idea what our permitting and licensing process is now, let alone when Dick was still alive. And your quite wrong, there are countless folks here that live subsistence lifestyles, in cabins of their own making. Not many with the skill of Dick, but he was a master.

You saying its not possible tells me you've never set foot in the state.

Please don't try and judge what you don't understand. We are not like the lower 48.
  • Heirloom and SteampunkScientist like this

#12 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 12,818 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:31 PM

Ouch.

#13 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,030 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:00 PM

Juthro, I'm glad to hear that is still possible because frankly those who know how to live this way may very well be the ones who make it if the shit ever really hits the fan.
  • Juthro and Heirloom like this

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,949 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:16 AM

Juthro, I'm glad to hear that is still possible because frankly those who know how to live this way may very well be the ones who make it if the shit ever really hits the fan.

Subsistence living is fairly common here, and to the best of my knowledge its the last place in the US that you can do it. Its not an easy life to live, there are a lot of skills, and hard ass work involved.

They still have rules and regs for the taking of fish and game, but there are special rules for subsistence hunts. Those subsistence licenses don't cost you any money to get if your a full time resident in the state. You just have to fill out the form and let them know how much, and from where you harvested your game or fish.

Ouch.

Do you think I came down too hard, One?

Its possible, I can get passionate about my home state when I think its being misrepresented....

Well hell, I'm a live and let live guy. Even if I get excitable from time to time, its not personal Oyster Farmer.

Just please, don't talk about Alaska like you know what your saying, when I can clearly see you don't.
  • Spooner likes this

#15 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,736 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

I was only in Alaska once, but it is bigger than Texas where I was born and raised.

I would not presume to know all about the many varieties of two legged life in Texas, but I am quite sure that Juthro knows oodles more about subsistance living in Alaska than me and the other Mycotopians who live in non-Alaska regions of earth.

There are probably some places in Alaska that have not seen a person in decades maybe even centuries, with or without a permit.

A permit only excludes people who abide by regulations, and a true hermit probably does not concern himself/herself with regulations.

The very concept of a Hermit Permit seems odd to me.

• Juthro likes this

#16 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 11,522 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:07 PM

Wherever you seem to be, if retaining a living body is a prerequisite for "making it," nobody makes it.   

When I came to this county without a stop light 45+ years ago, few permits were required, and you could still shit in an outhouse, as I did.   We still don't have the traffic light, but we do indeed have the fucking permits.   I know I am too old now to disappear into the woods (clearcuts of various young ages) and "make it."   I might be able to sustain for a while in the southwestern deserts, but probably not.   

Whether the shit hits the fan all at once, or we get a trickle through version, things are pregnant for change, nationally and internationally.    I see the culture is more like having an outboard motor as the fan and we're using it to push through the shit.   Shit is the currency that we buy our boat gas and oil mix with, which are both shit as well.   Not sure what making it really looks like in the world.   At the same time, I feel like I am making it, and it's not got anything to do with the way the seven point five billion worlds appear.

Edited by Alder Logs, 29 November 2017 - 12:09 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#17 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 12,818 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

Nope, not too harsh to me, just passionate Juthro. I thought Ak was breathtaking. I was just there as a tourist. I am realistic enough to know that it would be an extreme environment for me and I probably would not make it one winter alone. It is definitely the wild, wild west and I know that today, Ak would properly kick my ass. I have the utmost respect for anyone who lives there.

• Juthro likes this

#18 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:01 PM

With all due respect, you don't know what your talking about. You have no idea what our permitting and licensing process is now, let alone when Dick was still alive. And your quite wrong, there are countless folks here that live subsistence lifestyles, in cabins of their own making. Not many with the skill of Dick, but he was a master.

Please don't try and judge what you don't understand. We are not like the lower 48.

I do know what I'm talking about.  I'm not going into my personal experiences but I know this subject quite well.

#19 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,949 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:49 PM

I do know what I'm talking about.  I'm not going into my personal experiences but I know this subject quite well.

Brother, you may well understand how licensing and permits work where you live. And I find it quite probable that you can't live freely in the wilderness in whatever state you call home.

But to say that you could not emulate the kind of lifestyle Dick lived here in Alaska with current and present day regulations.... That is not an accurate statement, not even close.

I also have personal experiences with this subject, and I have no qualms about sharing them if you have questions.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!