#201 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,817 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

small_GEDC2423.jpg   small_GEDC2425.jpg   small_GEDC2427.jpg

The top of this block has all kinds of spots I thought were pinning.........it just needs to commit...........hahahahaha

Minimal activity on the other 5 although a couple of them are starting to do this too........

FAE: 12X/day

TEMPS: 68F - 72F max

RH: 85% - 95% added evaporation sheets for misting

Light increased from ambient to RED/BLUE LED panel

Looking for fruiting bodies now......the sammitch making kind.....

Did someone mention growing mushrooms required patience...........?

:meditate:

A

• Needles, Shroomesis and WillDerback like this

#202 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:22 PM

attachicon.gifsmall_GEDC2423.jpg  attachicon.gifsmall_GEDC2425.jpg  attachicon.gifsmall_GEDC2427.jpg

The top of this block has all kinds of spots I thought were pinning.........it just needs to commit...........hahahahaha

Minimal activity on the other 5 although a couple of them are starting to do this too........

FAE: 12X/day

TEMPS: 68F - 72F max

RH: 85% - 95% added evaporation sheets for misting

Light increased from ambient to RED/BLUE LED panel

Looking for fruiting bodies now......the sammitch making kind.....

Did someone mention growing mushrooms required patience...........?

:meditate:

A

Look at all those babies. What ever you are doing its looking good. I bet that by Sunday there are some nice looking caps.
  • Arathu and Nsnail like this

#203 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,817 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

Transferred agar wedges to rye, Brown Beech, Lions Mane, and Maitake...............

So I'll be doing sawdust blocks again soon hopefully......and I won't be making as many grain jars of a single species this time.......

Need to see if these like my substrate and to get them to fruit......if this Maitake takes off I'll probably G2G it and spawn heavy in larger blocks.......

It's cooled off here down into the 70's so I'll be able to get some sterilization runs going without causing the family heat stroke..........hahahahaha

I'll be concentrating on sterilized supplemented wood blocks for now and building my hardware............the process goes on.........

small_GEDC2428.jpg

A

• Needles, Microbe, Heirloom and 2 others like this

#204 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,817 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:51 AM

Check this out...a very pleasant turn of events...from stinky logs in bags in the dungeon (I'm just a silly human)........

small_GEDC2440.jpg   small_GEDC2441.jpg   small_GEDC2442.jpg

To a 20 lb and probably more now with all of the refuse in that heap, mass of very rapidly colonizing H. ulmarius fungus......(Mother RULES)

This could get pretty damned interesting pretty quick as the waning summer is coming on.........

Which will bring fruiting temperatures to a very significant mass of growing mycelium that has a super large....like several hundreds of pounds (more like ton or two) of nutrient rich substrate.....

As you can see it tore into the wood chips and the paper and weeds and whatever else is there......it doesn't see to differentiate much at all....

Very cool and I have to admit that I'm not overly surprised but I am pleased and quite grateful.....

Stay tuned......it's never boring at the Dirtmaker's Acre.....

:biggrin:

Edited by Arathu, 09 August 2017 - 11:53 AM.

• Needles, Heirloom , Nsnail and 2 others like this

#205 Shroomesis

Shroomesis

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 33 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:20 PM

In for the future epic fruits

giphy.gif

• Arathu, Heirloom , Nsnail and 1 other like this

#206 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,817 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:03 AM

In fact I'm off tomorrow and for a couple days after that..........I have six more quarts of Elm spawn that need to be used ASAP.......

I'm thinking another experiment, completely outside with absolute minimal preparation might just be in order......

Perhaps a clothes basket, open frame stacker, or the drain pipe.....yeah.....drain pipe or PVC..........

It'll turn out I should just grow my mushrooms outside.............hahahahaha

EDIT: I'll just add this stuff as and edit here...............

small_GEDC2445.jpg   small_GEDC2449.jpg

Can you dig it? Easily scaled up and down they'll probably be about 5lb/2kilo blocks of substrate, breathing with ample fresh air exchange, hopefully NO BEER smells

small_GEDC2453.jpg   small_GEDC2456.jpg   small_GEDC2460.jpg

This freaks my family and friends out right here........I guess the Dirtmaker IS kinda wyrd to them....so be it!

Does Elm Oyster like my paper pulp and sawchip substrate? You're damned right it does.........I'm certain I can easily expand from the paper spawn as it is right now.........

If I use compost in a slurry to hydrate the paper and wood wastes then I've created a nutrient rich supplemented substrate........

And if I put it these mini crates I can stack them in the shade and cover them with burlap sacks and either hose or drip irrigate the bags........

Done inside a pole building that is kept 55F, even cooler, through the winter....oh hell.....next size up will probably grow nice big Maitake blocks and Lions Mane too......

Whoa..........bad-ass........ :biggrin:

A

Edited by Arathu, 10 August 2017 - 08:45 AM.

• Heirloom , Nsnail, Ferather and 2 others like this

#207 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 714 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:37 AM

Stacked trays, that's actually a really good idea, I have some fold-up crates like that, hmmmmmmm.

thumbsup-thumbs-up-approve-ok-smiley-emo

Edited by Ferather, 10 August 2017 - 10:47 AM.

#208 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,817 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:50 AM

Look at this madness.............watering once a day......covered very loosely with weeds and OSB

small_GEDC2475.jpg   small_GEDC2476.jpg   small_GEDC2478.jpg   small_GEDC2479.jpg

My gut tells me there is going to be flushes of Elm Oysters blasting up out of the heap very soon......

I just might have to start making large spawn runs and heap/mound/row plots in the shade....

I find this kind of recovery quite encouraging......

Additionally..........

All of my grain transfers are jumping from the agar to the rye....

Brown Beech is most vigorous followed by the Lions Mane and as is expected the Maitake is slow but it's starting the fuzzing up too.......

"Happiness is Fuzzy Wedges".........(New Dirtmakers Acre T-Shirts)

small_GEDC2487.jpg   small_GEDC2491.jpg   small_GEDC2494.jpg

Hahahahahahaa.........I love mushrooms!

A

Edited by Arathu, 11 August 2017 - 09:00 AM.

• Heirloom , Nsnail, Shroomesis and 1 other like this

#209 WillDerback

WillDerback

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

Hey Arathu!  Looking awesome.  Here's my pile where I dumped a few slow growing and partially contaminated (green) pink oyster bags.  After a few days, bam, oysters everywhere.  I'm moving my grow outside and into the garage rather than on my first level/basement.  Having 70%+ humidity has its benefits I guess.

compost3.jpeg

• Arathu, Heirloom , Nsnail and 1 other like this

#210 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,817 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:31 AM

Hey Arathu!  Looking awesome.  Here's my pile where I dumped a few slow growing and partially contaminated (green) pink oyster bags.  After a few days, bam, oysters everywhere.  I'm moving my grow outside and into the garage rather than on my first level/basement.  Having 70%+ humidity has its benefits I guess.

attachicon.gifcompost3.jpeg

Yep...that's what I'm thinking too..........but I have other experiments started right now, so I'm currently out of spawn, in addition to the dump heap...which I bet/hope will fruit soon......

Very cool stuff there Will..............

A

Edited by Arathu, 12 August 2017 - 11:48 AM.

#211 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,817 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:40 PM

small_GEDC2505.jpg

Can't turn this unit down enough and condensate pools on the surface of the blocks........but it looks really cool.........

I need to create a multiple position switching timer......the PLC is going to come into play very shortly....

small_GEDC2512.jpg   small_GEDC2508.jpg

small_GEDC2509.jpg

I spawned five Elm Oyster stackable cubes.....four of them I put into a breathing filtered tub and one is outside in the free air.....

small_GEDC2514.jpg

More experiments going on........The fungus in the heap is growing like crazy.........waiting on my blocks in the dungeon to actually fruit......

At The Dirtmaker's Acre

A

• Microbe, Heirloom and WillDerback like this

#212 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,817 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

Here's what that fungus on the heap looks like.......a massive beast....

small_GEDC2529.jpg

Wood and paper being "chewed" up by enzyme.....yummy

small_GEDC2531.jpg   small_GEDC2536.jpg   small_GEDC2544.jpg

Trying to keep the wind from drying it out too much........

You can't get much more FAE than what it's getting right now.........

My blocks in the tent look overlayed after being soaked with condensate so it's back to high humidity, lower evaporation like it started......

Brown Beech grain jars got a good shake this morning.....I'll wait another few days for the Lions Mane.......Maitake is sloooooow..... :meditate:

Learning in progress.....

A

• Microbe likes this

#213 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,791 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:06 PM

I like your fruiting chamber experement. Have you considered using a simple humidity controller?

Also I have experement with all kinds of light and I noticed fruit development was poor when dropping below 5000 Kelvin. For a 4 tier shelving unit and or greenhouse depending on what I'm using at the time, I use a 3 bulb trougher fixture. 120 watts of 6500 Kelvin and man the fruits love it.

I will dig it up but light is very important to fruit development as we all knew that but there are recent studies that indicate that mushrooms can and do convert light into ATP in ways not fully understood.

Light also regulates secondary metabolites production which indicates that the more light , the better production of alkaloids in actives and or bio-active secondary metabolites in edible and medicinal species.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2807966/

I have been searching for an hour for the article I read about mushrooms and light and energy . I will keep looking. I posted it here once at topia somewhere so if anyone comes across it, let me know please.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

#214 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,817 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:22 PM

I like your fruiting chamber experement. Have you considered using a simple humidity controller?

In fact I determined that I will be getting/making one............... hahahahaha

Yes I'll be getting some serious lighting too............... The dungeon is pretty good for growing/incubating fungus.........not so good for fruiting..............YET..........

small_GEDC2569.jpg   small_GEDC2570.jpg   small_GEDC2571.jpg

So all six of the Elm Oyster mycelium "blocks" are now out of bags and in small crates in an open tub.......

Everything has drain holes and they are getting light from a window for now....I have to pick up some bulbs for my grow light......

They are sitting in a location where they could be treated as if outside......I can hose them down with water (make it rain) if necessary.......

These are going to fruit..............hahahahaha

small_GEDC2575.jpg   small_GEDC2576.jpg

And here is a comparison of the stackable units I spawned yesterday......above is the one that was kept outside in the tub open to the air.....it dried out something terrible....no growth evident....

Now it's been re-hydrated and it's in the tent in the dungeon.......I bet it grows....

small_GEDC2588.jpg   small_GEDC2589.jpg

These four are the ones in the filtered tub that was put into the dungeon immediately.......not dried out at all and growing vigorously........

Funny how the crates fit right into the tubs...four in this one and eight in the tub I'm working on fruiting in.....

Additionally a couple of fellas contributed even more materials to the Dirtmaker's delinquency..........glassware, pitri's, sterile vacuum caps and a massive amount of tubes.....

Now I can also start my culture library too.........oh this shit IS on man!

All kinds of gifts....a Waring blender motor to drive my LI jar.....

A bad ass salad spinner that makes hydrating substrates a breeze......yes I already used it.........beautiful!

In fact I put another ten lbs of maple chips on the fungus growing on the heap......it's a few weeks at least until fruiting temps outside so might as well grow more mass......

Thanks so much you guys.......I'm going to have to buy us some beers........... :hug:

Still moving forward at the Dirtmaker's Acre.........although I'm going to need way more lab space very soon.......

• Alder Logs, Microbe, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#215 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,817 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

small_GEDC2594.jpg

These are the mycelium loafs from original six bags of supplemented sawdust now basically free ranging in the dungeon....

I have them in the little stacker crates also in a tub...... I spray them down when they look thirsty....They're getting ambient daylight from the window above them....

small_GEDC2597.jpg

And this tub holds the four spawned stacker crates......which are....

small_GEDC2599.jpg   small_GEDC2603.jpg  

Colonizing rapidly.........Elm Oyster seems to love this stuff.....and NO STINKY this time........

small_GEDC2605.jpg   small_GEDC2606.jpg

I could make a ton of these things and stack them on shelving units or directly on the concrete pad for that matter.........

small_GEDC2610.jpg

And as is usual I can't just leave colonized grain alone...so I added the balance of what was in the jars to Hardwood Bagged mulch right from the bag.......

And it's colonizing too.............so now I need to get them to FRUIT.......... :tongue:

Growing fungus here at the Dirtmaker's Acre......

Edited by Arathu, 14 August 2017 - 06:03 PM.

• Microbe likes this

#216 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,791 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 09:59 AM

Am I seeing this correctly? 2 days ago you were spawning to stackable crates and in the last picture it looks like a few are fully colonized with the rest not far behind. Anyway looking good, you are about to have some serious mushrooms to eat!

• Arathu likes this

#217 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,817 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 05:58 PM

Yeah man...72 hrs later look at these things.......... :chucks:

small_GEDC2630.jpg   small_GEDC2623.jpg   small_GEDC2626.jpg

Tearing it up......pasteurized weathered maple chainsaw chips mixed with hand torn (my daughter helped me this time THANKS kiddo) dry paper pulp packing material.....

The Paper pulp absorbs all of the extra water from the chips and makes a nice fluffy mycelial nirvana...apparently............

I hope to see some fruits from these.........Man I can get a ton of these materials......probably more......

If the rest of my cultures eat this substrate this shit is on man.......

Fungus amongus.........

Here at the Dirtmakers Acre.......

I told my buddy I'm going to airbrush mushrooms all over his van that he's letting me drive......and deliver mushrooms with it......... :cool:

A

• Microbe, Nsnail and jkdeth like this

#218 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,791 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 08:45 AM

Dang that is quick. The culture I received was very slow to get going on PDA but once it figured out it could eat it, damn it was almost as if it ran a 100mm plate overnight.

I'm guessing that since it was a wild culture, it has never been on any type of nutrient agar so it had no idea what it was and had to learn to recognize it as a food source.

Very fast, almost as fast as the Sebrica maybe even a little quicker...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!