• Please log in to reply
471 replies to this topic

#21 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Free Member
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:02 PM

Looking forward to your progress! I too am making an effort to sell at the market and restaurants. Just need to perfect my substrate.

#22 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:13 PM

post-113856-0-16816600-1494904031.jpg

I got a gift ( a bunch of them actually) today that's beyond words to describe it.....it's going to take my work to another level completely....

But the best thing out of it is I met another brother that I didn't know I had until today........what a day!

What an awesome day!

THANK YOU MAN! :hug:

Progress is an understatement, my gratitude is way beyond words and pictures......

It's going to be tough to go to work tomorrow.......I'll be distracted as hell for sure....

I have a fresh sheet of 22ga stainless steel waiting, access to a huge hydraulic sheer, and some pro's glad to do the cutting for me........

This flow hood is going to get skinned in shiny new SS and probably airbrushed too......

Frigging AWESOME!

A

new_HEPA_stream_001.jpg

Edited by Arathu, 15 May 2017 - 10:35 PM.

• Needles, Heirloom , Gnomesayin and 3 others like this

#23 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:40 AM

small_GEDC0923.jpg

Inside stainless steel skin dimensions headed for the cutting shop today........

small_GEDC0916.jpg

Good old uncle Arathu's first batch of rye berries for grain spawn....slowly rocking at 15psi for 90 minutes...

And I'll likely still fiddle with my oats too....just because I need to see what's what...

The idea is what ever works...........

NEED MORE PRESSURE COOKERS............hahahahaha

The wife and daughter said  I'm obsessed.......I said NO SHIT! It beats the hell out of drinking!

:biggrin:

• Uncle G, Needles, Gnomesayin and 1 other like this

#24 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,383 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:32 AM

attachicon.gifsmall_GEDC0923.jpg

Inside stainless steel skin dimensions headed for the cutting shop today........

attachicon.gifsmall_GEDC0916.jpg

Good old uncle Arathu's first batch of rye berries for grain spawn....slowly rocking at 15psi for 90 minutes...

And I'll likely still fiddle with my oats too....just because I need to see what's what...

The idea is what ever works...........

NEED MORE PRESSURE COOKERS............hahahahaha

The wife and daughter said  I'm obsessed.......I said NO SHIT! It beats the hell out of drinking!

:biggrin:

They should have no trouble cutting your stainless to fit with the drawings you made. Looks like you may have done that a time or two. Can't wait to see her skinned, painted and with switches installed. Very nice...
  • Arathu likes this

#25 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,383 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:28 PM

I signed up for one of Arathu's outdoor adventures in field foraging for mother's medicine.
I got in my truck expecting to get there, open the door get out walk up into the woods pick a couple mushrooms and go home....
The lesson Includes around a 5 mile hike up mountainous taurine to get into some of the most peaceful, beautiful, tranquil country I have ever been in. This photo doesn't do it justice but you can get the idea.
image.jpeg
Our first encounter with a medicinal was a nice group of pheasent back mushrooms. They seen to be a cool weather species as they were quite developed.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
As the lesson progressed further up stream we came across the most sought after Hemlock Reishi.
These photos are of young conks, with more time needed to grow to start dropping spores. Its hard to tell from to pictures how big these babies really are.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
This was a unidentafide shelf fungus but thought it looked cool.
image.jpeg
Now for one of the most important lessons l learned. If you don't what you are looking at and you don't have a trusted guide/teacher you better leave it alone. From the photos and what I read about ovoidiocystidiata, these guys fit the bill.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
These turned out to be some Galerina strain, possibly deadly.

It was a awesome quest with Arathu's outdoor adventure....Thank you again.
  • Arathu, Skywatcher, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#26 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:40 PM

You're welcome Needles it was great taking a walk out into the woods with you.......we'll do it again............

A

• Needles and Heirloom like this

#27 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:11 PM

I enjoyed reading of your adventure, nice pics to show the area and mushrooms.
  • Arathu and Needles like this

#28 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:35 PM

post-113856-0-67469900-1495081919.jpg

Fab shop manager made good and I got my stainless just a touch oversized which will allow for exact precision fitment.......

These are the pieces of 22 ga. stainless steel just squeezed into my new flow-hood.......

I'll use a grinder and flapper wheel to final fit these exactly.......

Awesome!

A

stainless_001.jpg

Edited by Arathu, 17 May 2017 - 11:37 PM.

• Spliff, Needles, Heirloom and 3 others like this

#29 Spliff

Spliff

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 548 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:41 AM

Arathu, I think we are finding our roads to the same destination. Following, and eager to learn from what you do!

• Arathu, Needles and tailsmcsnails like this

#30 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveller

• Free Member
  • 911 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:12 AM

Awesome thread Arathu,
Enjoy watching the evolution of your steps towards your final goal.
With the night shift and the hours you work I can see this is a labor of love for you.
Cheers.
  • Arathu and Needles like this

#31 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:02 AM

Thanks everyone.....indeed a labor of love and my passion.........as the wife and daughter say.......YOUR OBSESSION..........hahahahaha :biggrin:

It's certainly going to be a journey, a quest methinks............

Everyone I tell that I'm going to grow gourmet mushrooms has one of two responses........"You can do that?" (everyone says that and usually they think/comment psychedelic which is pathetic brainwashing) then "I don't eat mushrooms, it's the texture", or......."I'll buy some"......... :thumbs_up:

Oh yeah baby! That's what Arathu is thinking too............buy my Sheepheads....and others....

Dig it....more surplus, this time HEPA.......

small_GEDC0948.jpg

Odds are really good I can get more of them too.....I need to put together a test jig and see what flow is coming through them.....

small_GEDC0953.jpg

Do you flow heads, @sandman, @microbe, et al, out there think these are good enough? 

Eventually I'm just going to have a HEPA filtered laboratory.....I wonder if Intel has anything of value in their dumpsters?  :biggrin:

Don't be surprised when you see the Dirtmaker's boots sticking out of a dumpster near YOU.....like my fungal friends I'm recycling fool.....

Making DIRT...which makes for awesome DINNERS all along the food chains..........

Hopefully I wind up with a budget to start buying BIG stuff cause I'm sure another building is in the works.......

A

• Needles, Heirloom and Gnomesayin like this

#32 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,383 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:54 AM

Dang Arathu, your shop guy really hooked you up on the stainless skin. She is starting to dress up nice. Really looking forward to seeing her switched and painted. Nice work.....
  • Arathu and Heirloom like this

#33 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

Thanks again brother....... it is going to be an awesome unit, hell it already is..........  :biggrin: 

Well you know the old adage, measure five times and make sketches, clean glasses and measure twice again, transfer data to a print that a fabrication professional can read and then double check dimensions with mathematics and create fitment instructions. Go to the data books and confirm thicknesses and tolerances and attempt to slightly oversize the materials for meticulous final assembly........... (where is the propeller head emoticon?) Hahahahahahaha.............

I've been involved in the high tech world most of my life now.........they did exactly what I asked them to do and it's quite refreshing actually.

This baby is awesome although I'm going to have to install an overhead crane to move her into her final position.............it's earthquake proof for sure...........beautiful work man!

A     

• Needles and Gnomesayin like this

#34 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

small_GEDC1020.jpg

Stainless steel installed and sealed.....now curing.....I added a piece of my artwork just to dress up the blower/filter plenum.....

small_GEDC1022.jpg

I told you this was gonna get out of control.....pirtri's and patch bags....hahahahaha

small_GEDC1023.jpg

And a gift from another brother that wants to see me succeed.........I have a four day weekend coming up.....oh my! 

A

• Needles, Heirloom , Gnomesayin and 2 others like this

#35 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,383 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:00 PM

attachicon.gifsmall_GEDC1020.jpg

Stainless steel installed and sealed.....now curing.....I added a piece of my artwork just to dress up the blower/filter plenum.....

attachicon.gifsmall_GEDC1022.jpg

I told you this was gonna get out of control.....pirtri's and patch bags....hahahahaha

attachicon.gifsmall_GEDC1023.jpg

And a gift from another brother that wants to see me succeed.........I have a four day weekend coming up.....oh my! 

A

Your artwork makes it look very cool very nice indeed. It also looks like you did a very clean job of sealing the joints. Four day weekend??? Time for a test drive......
  • Arathu likes this

#36 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

The Dirtmaker's neighbors look out their window and say "WTF is that crazy bastard doing now?"

small_GEDC1088.jpg

Here is a nice piece of Maple for experimentation and another really nice piece of Pine for Hemlock Reishi log.........

So the storms do damage and the mushrooms (and their trainee's) do the cleanup work (at least we're supposed to).....

Gotta get some plugs going soon..........

small_GEDC1089.jpg

And this a nice haul of almost purely Maple chips/sawdust now drying on a tarp at Dirtmaker's Acre.........

I got my first 100 filter patch bags delivered and a nice new impulse sealer too.......Not to mention that an agar pour is immanent.............

It's on man...the neighborhood will never be the same again......

(side note: the ticks are fucking insane this year pay attention if you're frequenting the outdoors like I do)

• Needles, Microbe and Gnomesayin like this

#37 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,383 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:19 PM

The hemlock reishi and pheasent back clones are coming along nicely. They will get their first transfer to clean agar plates next Tuesday. isolated and clean monocultures are still a ways away so plenty of time to get some wood dowels.
Nice score on the logs and chips, that should keep you busy for a while....
  • Arathu likes this

#38 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

The hemlock reishi and pheasent back clones are coming along nicely. They will get their first transfer to clean agar plates next Tuesday. isolated and clean monocultures are still a ways away so plenty of time to get some wood dowels.

Awesome.............. :biggrin: 

Needles we need to go walking again soon............with proper gear.........

I think I'm going to get a large trapper's pack-basket at some point this year............

A

• Needles likes this

#39 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,383 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

Awesome.............. :biggrin: 

Needles we need to go walking again soon............with proper gear.........

I think I'm going to get a large trapper's pack-basket at some point this year............

A
What, you mean I can't wear slacks and penny loafers hiking in the woods again lol...
  • Arathu likes this

#40 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:29 PM

Hahahahahahahaha....................I don't recommend it................ It's not right on the side of the road............ :biggrin:

A

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!