#381 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,320 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:42 AM

Shes looking beautiful A, like the wow factor setting in.... Is that a bottle of Hofbräu back there lol..... Your rocking the dungeon brother....

Nice bowl of shiitake too... Looks like its definitely on at the acre.

• Arathu likes this

#382 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,874 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:36 AM

That's an EMPTY shell of a Hofbrau bro....hahahaha I killed on the first shot......man is that stuff gooooood. If you're gonna indulge DON'T drink Mad Dog 20/20 or anything "light" IMHO...

Since the "floor" directly behind the new hood is actually dirt I'm going to dig out a hole and cement a post into the ground to act as a mounting pier and vibration dampener. I might just use a flexible sealed coupling between them. We'll see how well this blower is balanced but it looks to be a quality unit. She's sturdy and built to stay right where it's at.....

Getting closer everyday! I'll be pouring plates and making new grain spawn, and fruiting blocks....... very soon. The best-est part will be NOT having to end work because of freezing temperatures now. Gonna start saving some change for an even better set of optics too. As you know good glass costs plenty of cha-ching....but is well worth it. (that's coming a little later as the microscope I have now works fairly well for what it is but VIDEO is going in) The lab digital goodies will all be Linux based and I'm sure that I'll find an old stereo system to haul down into the dungeon too (gotta have ambience and these kids DO NOT know the absolute BLISSFUL JOY of a discrete stack of bad ass stereo gear). WTF is an ear bud?............ SMH..... :smoking-hookah: Here's what you do with BUD.....not stick it in your ear....hahahaha

I'm going to investigate the relationships between fungi and electrical activities......aside from eating some of the best tasting gourmet mushrooms known to man.......

We have medicine tea's and gourmet fungus with plans to expand........Indeed A has plans...

• Skywatcher and Needles like this

#383 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,874 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:56 PM

This blower isn't going anywhere and it won't load down the hood either.....nor will it transfer noise and vibration through the framing.....

Delicate experiments don't need that kind of negativity.....

post-113856-0-75992200-1590183130.jpg

But there isn't any excitement at all watching concrete dry.....hahaha

Shiitake's on the grill right now......

Oh yeah I almost forgot...mama got me a chainsaw today.....the log piles are gonna be stupid... :chucks:

Chips flying and concrete drying....here at the acre...

A

Attached Thumbnails

• small_GEDC7042.jpg

• Needles and Cuboid like this

#384 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,320 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:47 PM

Noise and vibration, Geez guess not. Cement blocks and treated 4x4s . No worries about fan vibrations lol, you could do Extreme micro photography on that table with a train passing by and have no issues.... Nice work there at the acre. How'd them shiitakes roast up? Sure looked delicious.....

• Arathu likes this

#385 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,874 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:56 PM

Dude I ate like ten of them.......hahahaha

Mama put a bag of boneless/skinless chicken breasts in a roasting pan with a bunch of canned whole tomatoes, seasoned butter and a TON of Shiitake.......

Threw the whole thing on the grill.....

I feasted unabashed.......with another of those Dark Hofbrau's......Holy shit!

I have leftovers too.....

• PCaddict likes this

#386 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,320 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:14 PM

Leftovers???? Ummmm on my way to the arcre... 

• Arathu and PCaddict like this

#387 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,320 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:15 PM

Hofbrau?????

#388 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,874 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:34 PM

Yep......Hofbrau AND Shiitake..some still popping out of the logs......grab the fancy little toast things and cheeses from central tuckey on the way here it'll go good with Dunkel too......

A

• Needles likes this

#389 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,320 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:34 PM

Three day weekend, hmmmm.. tempting. 

#390 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,662 posts

Donator

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:46 PM

Arathu 

You have definitely taken it to another level of growing,  It has been a joy watching you grow mushroom through the years. I was going to PM you but decided to ask here.  What would be good easy edible mushroom for me to grow?   I have only ever grown the magic but the wife says I have to wait on that till the kids are out of the house to do that.  I have a pc and jars.  

• Arathu likes this

#391 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,874 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:19 AM

Hello G, nice to see you around man.....your pin-set work on cubies is/was epic! Which means your growing skills are there too. I know they are...Thanks for the compliment man....

I dove off into the deep end of the pool of cultivating mushrooms for sure. My sights are set on always having logs fruiting some species or another while I fiddle around with various experiments. I'll elaborate two such examples of my shenanigans with my answer to your question.

Specifically

What would be good easy edible mushroom for me to grow?

Oysters, by far, and especially having the skills you do with cubies and growing in general plus you won't hesitate to experiment either....

You can get a 3 or 5 pack special of edible fungi syringes from various vendors (in which case I go straight to sterilized rye grain jars) or get prints and do agar on plates or in jars.....

and expand from there. Once you have rye grain spawn made experiment away on substrates, newspapers, cardboard, paper and wood pellets, straw, and etc. (pasteurization for these subs)

or

Wood chips and various sawdust's enriched with wheat bran (sterilization required) in filter patch grow bags if you can get some of those. They're nice to have around for humidity barrier for experiments too.

and now

I'm fooling with logs and serious hunks of wood so I'll be making various plug spawns.....plus the wife just got me a new chainsaw.....oh hell....

Still it all works basically the same way.

• Germinate spores or capture a culture by purchase or finding wild..
  • Create and expand grain spawn
  • Find a suitable fruiting substrate and either pasteurize or sterilize it
  • Inoculate with ample grain spawn and incubate until fully colonized
  • Place into fruiting conditions (oysters LOVE a ton of moisture and demand another ton of fresh air)
  • Harvest and enjoy....
  • Repeat as necessary to make you happy...

After having done the above.....more than once....hahahaha

Here the following year I am experimenting with a couple of "spent" blocks that we ate a load of oysters from (these are Elm Oysters) last summer.

They sat in a fruiting tent over winter, dried out into blocks and frozen through the winter. I broke one open and saw the mycelium was alive and well in the center so decided to use it as experimental spawn.

small_GEDC7058.jpg   small_GEDC7061.jpg   small_GEDC7062.jpg small_GEDC7063.jpg

I want to see if the fungus will jump from the sawdust/chip/bran blocks into hardwood logs (these are maple)

So in a poly bag I put half a 4lb block of mycelium into the bottom, set a soaked log on top of it kinda pushed into the fungus block, and then crumbled the rest on and around the upper part.

Gave it a good misting and hung it up in a pine tree. I Made two of them actually and If you look you can see that the broken up blocks are fruiting in the bags. I'm hoping they're tearing into the exposed ends of the logs and any other "wounds" through the bark. It does look as though mycelium is starting to run into the logs...I'm excited and cautious...we'll see.

small_GEDC7066.jpg   small_GEDC7067.jpg  

Since oysters need a ton of air and I have pins I figured I would also open the bags up right close to the pins and see if they'll grow out into the fresh air. IF they do it will be a nightmare to keep them hydrated hanging in a pine tree in the wind but I have a plan for that if it comes to it. It's the cluster that made me try this else I would just let them go right back into the mycelium. You know...experiments....

small_GEDC7071.jpg   small_GEDC7072.jpg   small_GEDC7076.jpg  

Here it's evident that the fungus is definitely NOT dying just yet....it's re-hydrated and actively growing and there are some small spots where it looks to be making the leap into the log....man would that be cool.

small_zoom_GEDC7073.JPG

A fungus that produces a cluster(s) of pins like this coming out of a hardwood log would likely make for some really nice eating fruits. I love the taste of them when they grow from hardwood logs too...

small_GEDC7081.jpg   small_GEDC7083.jpg   small_GEDC7085.jpg  

So here is another experiment almost along the same lines except this log is already colonized and fruiting with wild native oysters. (I note the "fairy ring" that showed up after placing in the bag and spraying with my well water which all I use for my fungus growing) I snagged it from the forest while hunting morels and brought it home. Where I put it the mushrooms shriveled from low relative humidity so it too went into a poly bag and got hung in a pine tree....sure enough it fuzzed back up and the original fruits continue growing.....

My hope is to capture this culture and experiment with propagating it by various methods.....

It's impossible to run out of things to do in mycology.....IMHO

Great growing vibes to you Uncle G and everyone else too.

Hell yeah...dive into the oysters and then all the others, each have their own characteristics, needs, and nuances...

I feel it's part of learning to communicate with the organism. We can tell by it's reaction. Wood consuming fungus, at least IME, will go into a self preservation mode that is simply waiting on new favorable conditions and then sure enough fuzz-up, blast rhizomes off, and start consuming new material. Surely there are boundaries to that kind of ability but they are hardy life for sure...

I have the same experiment going on with spent Lions Mane blocks as spawn and it too looks like it might be running into my logs...

But for certainty and something dependable using plug spawn, at least with my shiitake, is unbeatable. At least for outside log cultivation.

Now with my new tools this shit is going to get completely out of control....on a whole NEW level....Getting into fruiting tents and automation is probably NOT where everyone wants/needs/should go...

But I probably am.....hahahaha

Sending out good growing vibes to my fungiphile brothers and sisters out there.....

• Uncle G, Needles, ElPirana and 1 other like this

#392 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,874 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:42 PM

small_GEDC7101.jpg

Blower is installed and it's a bit of overkill (note I don't have my pre-filter built and installed yet, I know I know, slacker) so that will slow things down a bit.......

I have a VARIAC that I acquired for just this purpose and with it's output dialed back to about 80 VAC there is a wall of clean air blowing across the work area.....

Sitting in the drivers seat is awesome! So I'll clean up the old VARIAC and mount it as part of the new hood which pretty much gives me whatever airflow I desire/need.

The wiring is obviously a temporary deal and I have some minor leaks I want to seal up plus I'm going to install a diverter baffle inside the plenum to help evenly pressurize the chamber.

After turning the blower down I fired up a patchouli stick and checked the air in front of the hood......just sweet man. 

Making major progress at the acre...

small_GEDC7106.jpg

Here's two quarts of Lions Mane rye spawn jumping to a maple log in a poly bag.....this was left over spawn from the bags I made last year...still kicking it!

I may not be done but I can definitely pour plates and do my work in front of the new hood as of TODAY......

Oh yeah.....mushrooms man...it's what's for dinner (at least in part)!

A

Edited by Arathu, 23 May 2020 - 09:17 PM.

• Needles, Cuboid and PCaddict like this

#393 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,662 posts

Donator

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:04 PM

Thanks so much. Arathu!  I will get right on that.  Can I substitute for rye out for WBS or corn for my spawn?  That is just a little bit easier for me.  I was thinking bags was the way to go as well.   I had thought about just going to a big box store for oysters and trying to do a grow from that.  Seem like I had seen someone do that once and had some success.  But I will go check out some vendors too.  Thanks for the help.  

• Arathu likes this

#394 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,874 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:04 PM

@ Uncle G........ I'm sure you'll find oysters fairly eager to eat just about anything "seedy" or woody for that matter. WBS is definitely worth a go. I use the rye berries from our local Agway and it's cheap but I wouldn't hesitate to throw wedges from plates into quart jars of sterilized WBS.....aseptic technique on this of course.

Taking a clone from the grocery store oysters, and wild ones for that matter, works but if you're going to grain spawn to make like supplemented sawdust/chip blocks in bags then you'll have to treat those as dirty and clean them up via agar. At least I would suggest doing it that way for best results and absolute minimal contamination....syringes make going straight to grain a breeze is all. 

I've also grown oysters by stem butt to cardboard clone and expansion by torn paper/pulp chip spawn into other woody subs. Oysters can be successfully grown on news papers, boxes, recycled paper pulp packing materials, and etc. etc....Get a mass of mycelium going until fully colonized and move into fruiting conditions.........you might be surprised by the amount of air oysters need. There's cool pictures in this thread somewhere I think of the crazy fruiting I had going....yummy! And the wife isn't freaked out either...win/win...

I'd definitely say that good clean grain spawn is the most reliable method I've used for spawning fruiting substrates.......at least IME....the books are right, imagine that......

Which is where I'm headed right now because I have fresh supplies inbound.

small_GEDC7135.jpg  

small_GEDC7166.jpg

I'll be pouring fresh plates fairly shortly....got new toys....this is a corning PC-620 hotplate/stirrer...it's friggin awesome.

Makes a batch of crystal clear agar. New hood will help keep things that way...

fruit_plate_001.jpg

Cause these have needed transferred since last year......it's amazing these plates are still viable and relatively clean....they'll be some of the first transfers to do actually.

Oysters, Maitake, and Lions Mane soon after as well.....

That's a little bitty shiitake fruit on that plate....

small_GEDC7179.jpg  

Same stuff that's popping out of those logs just a bit ago....with 2500 birch dowels on the way and some logs already seasoning....

and a new chainsaw to get more logs.....it's gonna get stupid..

At the acre....

A

#395 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,662 posts

Donator

Posted 29 May 2020 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for the help.  That's some good advice for sure.   I order a 5 pack of cultures.  Resihi, Lions Mane, Shiitake, Portobello and some Italian Phoenix Oysters.  I am going to be a Newbie all over again.      

• Arathu likes this

#396 PCaddict

PCaddict

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 05:08 PM

Hay folks I am a total Newb , Never tried shrooms, Never had the opportunity , Never grown mushrooms but I have the itch. I bought the substrate and Grain injection bags from North Spore. and I bought some spore syringes one was Golden Teacher so I am guessing I will be doing a bulk grow ?  Not sure , I am really lost here on the forum. I am on a couple Cannabis forums and the skills I  gotten from the forums is priceless both from others journals and from my mentor 

I guess I would like to find some journals to follow and learn from. Any help would be Much appreciated 

Edited by PCaddict, 29 May 2020 - 05:11 PM.

• Arathu likes this

#397 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,874 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:06 PM

Hay folks I am a total Newb , Never tried shrooms, Never had the opportunity , Never grown mushrooms but I have the itch. I bought the substrate and Grain injection bags from North Spore. and I bought some spore syringes one was Golden Teacher so I am guessing I will be doing a bulk grow ?  Not sure , I am really lost here on the forum. I am on a couple Cannabis forums and the skills I  gotten from the forums is priceless both from others journals and from my mentor 

I guess I would like to find some journals to follow and learn from. Any help would be Much appreciated 

@PCaddict this is an excellent place to start..... https://mycotopia.ne...ach_id=1149753

As far as grow logs goes go over dig this, in the forums navigate your way to  https://mycotopia.ne...gic-mushrooms/

And there you'll find..........

post-113856-0-38216700-1590793201.jpg

I recommend checking out the links, exploring on your own through search, and reading into it a bit first.....this place is the New Library at Alexandria........

PF Tek is a really good place to begin, it's not a bulk though...

Welcome and good luck to you.....learning is fun...

A

Attached Thumbnails

• instructions_001.jpg

• Uncle G and PCaddict like this

#398 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,874 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:16 PM

Just waiting on some other supplies to ship in and it's on man.....oh it's already on but this is different......glass.....

post-113856-0-01981100-1590858202.jpg

He he he....shiny!

And stainless sterilization/storage tubes....these fit the 100mm plates and I'm looking for 60mm tubes as well, I haven't found them yet..

post-113856-0-86674500-1590858202.jpg

I can get four of these in my All American which is just about perfect for a 1000ml batch of agar......2 for 500ml which is my normal batch

Like it was planned or something...

Serious agar play coming up....here at A's Acre...

A

Attached Thumbnails

• small_GEDC7202.jpg
  • small_GEDC7220.jpg

• Cuboid and PCaddict like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!