11 replies to this topic

#1 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,567 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:03 PM

One of the many tangents my daily research has taken me too is mead making, and now I'm fascinated with it.

And a cursory review of the process indicates psilocybin extracted to the honey or the water used might very well survive the process without degrading away or fouling the mead. Just popping this out for discussion.
  • MsBehavin420 likes this

#2 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,229 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:18 PM

one could also extract psilly into alcohol and add that to already made mead.

Voila! Mushroom Honey Port  (copyright and trademark Pharmer)

I'm super interested in any discussion of mead making. Today was my second of 10 Saturdays at BEE CLASS!!!!!!!!!!

This time next year I'll have a hive up and running.

• Tenderfoot and Juthro like this

#3 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:32 PM

I've made some sour cherry mead (a lot like Luden's cough drops, but better).

Between the natural preservative properties of honey and the alcohol content I think it would be an excellent extraction medium just by itself, but as a storage method I can't say though it seems it would be good for that too because of those same properties.

If you're thinking about getting into mead seriously, check out local apiaries for your honey as it will be a substantial savings over retail offerings.

#4 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,567 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:32 PM

Sweet. (See what I did there?)

#5 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,567 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:35 PM

Yes I think I'm definitely going to look into mead making, just for the mead, then at some point, when I have an excess of other goodness...

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,567 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:41 PM

This fragmented off of research on the shroom honey tek, which if you go out and research, you get mixed reviews. Some people have great luck, some people have nasty contamination. And as usual it's all about cleanliness and moisture content. Seems to pop up any time there's mushrooms involved.

#7 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:42 PM

good topic, i too am interested but have yet to try. I been doing a bunch of ferments lately and mead is next on my list.. i have done a honey garlic ferment that turned a lil boozy  :biggrin:

#8 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,457 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:50 PM

I have to go to work now but I'll Share Arathu's Magic Mead recipe..............

Actually I don't make wine with a recipe........I do it with chemistry and careful measurements.......

I have always added the mushrooms after the fact based upon desired dose........so this is something near and dear to my heart and soul.......

A drinking horn full of maple syrup and honey mead with a big old dose of powdered woodlovers makes for quite the magical ceremony.............

Great topic............. SAVE THE BEE'S MAN! Save the bee's!

I have two gallons of honey sitting out back right now waiting on the warmth..................

A

Edited by Arathu, 06 May 2017 - 07:51 PM.

#9 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:53 PM

A heavy (lots of honey) spiced mead can be made that is much like Port.  A lighter mead with less honey is more like am odd beeer.  The difference is whether all the sugar is used up making alcohol or if some is left over to make the drink sweet.  Mine came in at about 12% alcohol and was great.  Recommend FOLK WINES CORDIALS AND BRANDIES by Jorgendorf, a great book with many good stories and recipies.

PS http://www.ebay.com/...boAAOSw-itXrJVJ

Edited by Spooner, 06 May 2017 - 07:55 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#10 mithrandiir42

mithrandiir42

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 189 posts

Donator

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:27 AM

I just finished brewing a new batch of our traditional spiced mead and thought I'd do a search on here to see if we had any other mead brewers with us. Then I found this thread:)

I used to brew a few 5gal batches every year but took a break from brewing the past several years due to just not having the time. Well, I'm making time again!

I thought I'd share a couple of my favorite recipes for anyone else interested in trying them out.

I'll type in the recipes when I'm on a computer next, but for now, the attached photo of the recipe card should do.
Both of these are actually 5gal recipes. The amount of water should be whatever is takes to bring The total volume up to 5gal. I don't have a pot large enough to heat the full 5gal so I brew about 3gal in the biggest pot that I own, and then top it off with fresh (non chlorinated) water in the fermenter.

I always toss in a handful of raisins while brewing as well. I learned that trick sometime after these recipes were written down. The raisins add much needed nutrients and tannins to help support happy yeasts:)

Also, the extra cup of sugar at the end of these recipes are added near the end of fermentation to sweeten it to the desired final sweetness.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171125_094543.jpg
  • 20171125_094613.jpg
  • 20171125_094659.jpg

• Cuboid, jkdeth and PinkMenace like this

#11 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 283 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

Funny this thread came up! My son and I were just discussing making some Mead. I used to brew 10 gallons of beer a week back in the late eighties. Having that much beer laying around all the time was becoming a bit of a problem. Sure some exploded, but I ended up drinking way to much. So I stopped making it. I still have all the equipment. Yesterday afternoon I dug up a couple of my glass carboys from under the stairs in the basement. My son's going to brew a couple of batches pretty soon. In hopes that it will be ready to gift next year around Christmas. 

• jkdeth and PinkMenace like this

#12 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,033 posts

Donator

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:42 PM

I was a pretty avid brewer for a while until life got in the way.

I still have 3 untapped kegs from 2 years ago. I intend to tap one of them Christmas weekend.

• PinkMenace likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!