• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 HarryShroom

HarryShroom

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:10 PM

whats the word on this yellow stuff on top of my freshly colonized sub?? one tub has a few lil bits of yellow juice on it, but one that i realized the foil was open slightly has the juice patch on it from the open spotIMG_20170518_1802021081.jpg . I've read this can be form moisture, or from a fight with a bacterial infection. and if that's it does it mean i don't have to isolate the tub?

• wharfrat likes this

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,121 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:23 PM

hard to tell by the pic, the bright white spots up at the top of pic looks like trich myc.. could be the pic, just wait it out.  i'm moving this to magic mush forum, you are now a free member.. post as you like... consider making a grow log  :biggrin:

• sandman, Tenderfoot and HarryShroom like this

#3 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,918 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:29 PM

Your sub is probably too wet. Take some more pics from different angles.

• Cue likes this

#4 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 699 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:43 AM

Metabolites. Normal...
Mico piss?
Might want to gently apply a clean paper towel to get ride of that.

#5 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,403 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:46 AM

I wouldn't wipe away any metabolites.  They are there to battle competitors in most cases.  If you have pooling moisture, wipe it away with a paper towel; otherwise, just leave it be.

• Cue and Cigarsam like this

#6 HarryShroom

HarryShroom

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:20 AM

well the lil white puffs are definitely trich... over night they began to turn green/blue. IMG_20170519_072917751_HDR1.jpg IMG_20170519_0729377161.jpg can't see the coloring very well with the lighting but i tried. i think you can see the trich but the yellowing is harder to distinguish. i'm thinking with the set up i have, i should probably toss this whole tote so as to not hurt the others. they all have these lil white puffs here and there but i am pretty sure they are safe. the puffs are nothing compared to the trich seen in these picks. matter of fact here are some pics of the ones i think are safe.IMG_20170519_0805211191.jpg IMG_20170519_0805297491.jpg IMG_20170519_0805369041.jpg i layed down clean paper towel on them to soak up pooling moisture then lightly misted h2o2 and put them back in the tent/greenhouse auto set up i put together. (that pic can be found in my first post.) i pulled the one with the obvious trich and think i will trash it to be safe. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you all for everything so far!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170519_0729517391.jpg

#7 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,918 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:35 AM

Yikes! I wouldnt be surprised if they all went green. You probably went wrong with improper pasteurizing unless the spawn wasn't clean.

• Arathu likes this

#8 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,829 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:06 PM

In the warming spring weather I'd be making a massive outdoor bed out of those and washing my place with bleach inside and out, the yard, the neighbors house and sandman's place too, just to be safe. Once there is green there are spores out the wazoo...........

I agree with sandman, probably sub prep unless, like he said, the spawn was bad...........

Man that green beast is a killer.......bummer dude...........

A

#9 HarryShroom

HarryShroom

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

I actually pc'd my sub (coffee/coir) and my spawn (wbs). The colonized jars look great. Got more going from g2g (from the same myc) that look clean, and are taking off nice.if it is all crap then it's got to be from when I mixed the two. Well, that's what I feel at least. This is my first time doing all this, so I don't have the experience to really say "it's got to be".I've seen Lil bits said about bleach dunks for trich, is that something or should I say, is there anything I can do to save these before they turn green.our should I just wait it out? If they don't turn out, like I said, I've already got my next batch running. Also just started a mother jar of p.e. from mss. Gonna try to monotub those when I get the spawn supply.(don't have room in incubation for more then the one jar right now)

#10 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,829 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

I've seen catastrophic cross contamination in the same fruiting tent even with mono tubs............I'd be figuring out whats happening in there before I added anything else..........

A

#11 HarryShroom

HarryShroom

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:36 PM

Yikes! I wouldnt be surprised if they all went green. You probably went wrong with improper pasteurizing unless the spawn wasn't clean.

do you say that because of the way they look or just because of the one bad on I had in there?

I've seen catastrophic cross contamination in the same fruiting tent even with mono tubs............I'd be figuring out whats happening in there before I added anything else..........

A

I just cleaned the whole thing before I opened and put these in here but I'm realizing I forgot to clean the fan and I put an ice cream bucket I have about to fruit back in there. I also put back some pf cakes back that were pinning a second flush.but I didn't like the color of those so I tossed them..does everyone think this round is toast? I've got more cakes and spawn running, both should be ready in about a week. But if I can get these to fruit, it would be my first bulk success and I'm eager.

#12 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,918 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

Sterilized substrates will contaminate easily in open air monotubs. Pasteurized substrate will not. Leave the coffee out IMO too. Straight coir works just fine.

• smegma and Needles like this

#13 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,918 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:45 PM

Also you cant save a trich outbreak. It's the incredible hulk and mushroom mycelium is Powder from the hit movie "Powder."

Edited by sandman, 19 May 2017 - 02:42 PM.

• smegma, Arathu and HarryShroom like this

#14 HarryShroom

HarryShroom

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:17 PM

Soooo, they all look toast? Or wait and see?

#15 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,918 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

wait and see for sure, but i would go ahead and start drinking.

• Arathu, CatsAndBats and HarryShroom like this

#16 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:07 PM

@Harry, when one sterilizes substrate one has to continue treating it in the most aseptic/sterile fashion until it is 100% colonized, only then will it be robust enough to defend against competition. When one is working with pasteurized bulk sub, one can work open air [still being mindful of contamination vectors and working clean].
  • Needles, wharfrat and jkdeth like this

#17 Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

{{{{{ + }}}}}

• OG VIP
  • 608 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:53 PM

hard to tell by the pic, the bright white spots up at the top of pic looks like trich myc.. could be the pic, just wait it out.  i'm moving this to magic mush forum, you are now a free member.. post as you like... consider making a grow log  :biggrin:

Nice call !!!!!

• wharfrat, CatsAndBats and HarryShroom like this

#18 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,121 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:43 PM

coffee/coir is my go to.. i have done LOTS of tubs and bags with great success, just look at my grow logs or my gallery. Cat is correct you need to keep the tubs as clean as possible until completely colonized, that means no opening and peeking at them for at least 10 days from spawning, thats why i prefer bags now a day because they are sealed with a filter patch, once colonized you just cut the bag open and proceed to fruit.  

Sandman is also correct in that pasteurization of poo based substrate is best, as you are keeping some of the good microbes that will help your grow. But anything that has coffee or any type of grains as a supplement NEED to be sterilized or they will go bad 100% of the time 

Edited by wharfrat, 19 May 2017 - 09:29 PM.
hundreds is not an accurate amount, LOTS

• smegma, Tenderfoot, Needles and 1 other like this

#19 smegma

smegma

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 484 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

I've never added coffee to coir but do add worm castings and lime.  I'm having a bit of a hard time seeing whats going on in a couple of the pics.

Pasteurization method is literally:

Place trash bag in bucket, throw in coir bricks, castings, lime... dump in correct amount of boiling water, tie it shut and let it cool to room temp.  Thats it.

In my experience its really hard to get trich on coir.  Little standing pools of water on top of a myc layer on it WILL trich out though.  Those can just be dabbed with a paper towel.  Trich can also start in WBS after spawning especially in those little puddles, especially if the larger milo grains are split.

This was neglected after 4 flushes or so... no green.  You can see where, at one point the sub filled the tray.  Why leave ONE tray sitting in this condition?  See picture #2.  Just for laughs.

Best of luck.

Attached Thumbnails

• flush4.jpg
  • IMG_2404.JPG

• sandman and CatsAndBats like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!