• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 yupster

yupster

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 05:53 PM

In the spirit of having a positive buying experience from vendors I'd like to hear first hand which vendors DO work to preserve privacy when shipping product (Not all do, I understand).

Let's hear who does a good job and who could improve.

Has anyone had any experience with a vendor using their full name on return addresses for "private" deliveries?
For example if a vendors name is "The Magic Mushroom Supply Company"... have you had any experience with them using their full name, effectively exposing what the contents of the package may be related to?

AFOAF had that experience with one company who advertises on a similar website that sells myco supplies. It was painfully obvious what the contents of the package was related to.

Also, does any vendor, that you've had personal experience with, use their charge accounts to send UPS or postal service packages?

Using charge accounts to send packages creates a "paper trail" of delivery addresses.

Now my FOAF happens to grow oyster mushrooms, privacy isn't a big concern for him, but he shakes his head in disbelief that a vendor would sell product that could be related to magic mushroom growing and the company does stupid things to violate the privacy and trust of its customers.

A suggestion to vendors: Please help preserve customers privacy and pay cash for delivery charges and use initials or a generic name if you don't already do so.

"Mix things up" a little. Help keep your customers anonymous.

THIS, as you may be able to tell, is a pet peeve of a FOAF.

#2 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 05 February 2005 - 06:02 PM

vendors can be in a delicate position,
they proly don't want to risk lying to the post office, esp. on a regular ongoing basis
but i'll certainly agree that naming one's biz
the magic mushroom company
isn't very bright.
even less bright to put that on a shipping label.
we do in fact have a warning posted in our board rules/history forum about one such vendor,
might check it out.
of course the real point to remember is that the vendors are all shipping perfectly legal products,
the real risk is on your end
so a prudent person will
cover their own ass
and not rely on others.
to wit-
use a fake name, a safe address
so nothing traces to the real you.

#3 yupster

yupster

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 06:46 PM

Hippie,
Thanks for your input.
A safe address is always a good idea.

I know a guy who is in the precious metals business. His product is, of course, 100% legal.
He always uses initials or a generic sounding name on his high value packages. The packages are shipped insured so that isn't the issue. The issue, for him and his customers, is that customers don't want the guy at the post office knowing that he may keep gold coins in his house for "a financial emergency". The stealth type delivery prevents ripoffs and promotes financial privacy.

He also pays cash (and gets a cash receipt) for all his shipping. He once had a Grand Jury subpoena for his records for a particular customer who had bought a large amount of his product.

All he could provide, and he had to comply or go to jail, was what he could remember "off the top of his head". Fortunately the guy can't remember what he had for lunch yesterday
Not being a corporation, he had no duty or obligation to keep detailed records.

He couldn't find his cash shipping receipts for the period in question, he thinks his kids accidently tossed the box while playing "office".

Most businesses will say they protect a customers privacy but as soon as the FEDS show up at their business door on a Friday afternoon telling them they need to be 1500 miles away to appear before a grand jury, early next week, they can't produce the records fast enough.
The FEDS will tell them to get the records together by first thing Monday morning and maybe... just maybe, they won't have to travel and appear before the grand jury. Guess what happens? The small business owner spends all weekend getting things together, without fail.

They do the Friday afternoon thing to intimidate and confuse the business owner.

The point is, if you don't have records you can't produce them.

If the grand jury wants your shipping "charge account" records from UPS or the post office, they'll have them and the business owner or customer will never be the wiser.

The same goes for bank records.

#4 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 06:48 PM

In my experiences, I have always ordered from HawksEye, always a good and safe order. You fill your info out on a order form exactly how you want it for return. He will then inturn cut your address out of the form you printed and use that as a 'label' on the package. His return address is simply 3 letters with an address. I've always been pleased.

#5 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:35 PM

I know on Sporebank packages it just says its from "The Bank" and its really inconspicuous.

#6 mycota

mycota

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:45 PM

TLG packages are USPS priority small cardboard boxes. You cannot get more nondescript than that.

Plus, great prices, super fast shipping & gurenteed products.

#7 yupster

yupster

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 10:08 PM

This is the direction this thread needs to go. Let's hear about the vendors who do it right.
A guy I know bought a Mt. Elphie mushroom cd from www.sporelab.com and was pleased that it was shipped in a private manner with affixed postage.
Anyone else have positive experiences with sporelab?

#8 Guest_strangeland_*

Guest_strangeland_*

Posted 05 February 2005 - 11:54 PM

Sporelab and Ralphster are both very discrete in their packaging.
Both are A+ vendors, and sponsors here too. Posted Image

#9 Guest_jeklhyd_*

Guest_jeklhyd_*

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:09 AM

Second that.

#10 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 09:16 AM

Sporelab is very discreet and fast shipping.

#11 Guest_vrooota!_*

Guest_vrooota!_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 08:20 AM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

In my experiences, I have always ordered from HawksEye, always a good and safe order. You fill your info out on a order form exactly how you want it for return. He will then inturn cut your address out of the form you printed and use that as a 'label' on the package. His return address is simply 3 letters with an address. I've always been pleased.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
That- and he includes a printout of how to use a a spore syringe for microscopy, so anybody that opened the package will realize the items' benign purpose.

#12 Guest_patman2_*

Guest_patman2_*

Posted 08 February 2005 - 12:38 AM

Sporelab Rules!!! Gotta freebee with my last order.

#13 Guest_the_*

Guest_the_*

Posted 08 February 2005 - 07:20 PM

I like the little disclaimer that comes in the sporelab packages. It says something to the effect that this syringe contains special plant food. I think my favorite packing job was from Sporechicks way back in the day...the plain brown box was labeled "Sea Monkeys" and that's all the was on there aside from the address.

#14 Guest_realschmeal_*

Guest_realschmeal_*

Posted 08 February 2005 - 07:50 PM

It seems there would be more to worry about ordering from somewhere like myco supply who is there for the "legitimate" myco community primarily and slaps their name on there with pride. I ordered a replacement part for a pressure cooker from them, and the UPS guy told me who it was from(I think they're req'd to do that) in a very inquisitive tone. But there's nothing wrong with being an amateur mycologist, its weird but it's respectable. I don't see how proclaiming that you can grow mushrooms or that you are interested in it could possibly give someone reason to suspect that you are growing illegal mushrooms. Thats like accusing a gardener of growing pot just because he knows about plants. I wonder if people who buy lots of hydroponics equipment are regularly searched, I think I actually read a story on this site about that happening to some old man because they wanted his land. I guess it helps in that situation if you have some sort of related business that would give you more legitimacy in the eyes of the law. I would never order from a place with an incriminating name though, that's for sure.

(Message edited by mindovermycelia on February 09, 2005)

#15 Guest_batteriesnotincluded_*

Guest_batteriesnotincluded_*

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:49 PM

sporelab was discreet, as was spores 101. or so foaf says. i think the lable was from simply "101". i very rarley hear anyone mention 101, and im kinda surprised, competetive prices and a great product, as well as really fast shipping.

#16 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 02:37 PM

The Hawks Eye!!! Love'em!!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!