44 replies to this topic

#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,510 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:35 PM

I have gotten 2 rabbits ....A bot named Mix ums and a girl names Dorathy :)

We almost have the cages done well ones done and the other needs to be put together now :) 2 cages for $60 is a great deal ...I was talking about it some in my garden thread but thought I would have more to say and want advice for and well these cute little guys need thier own thread :)

At the end of the month I am gonna breed her with a rabbit up the road :) a friend has flemish giants but the one she will meet is a smaller one .....my Dorathy is a New Zeland ....so we should get some fair size rabbits ......1 month for pregnancy and I think almost 2 months for the rabbits to be fully weaned and leaving thier mom into diff cages .....well the babies will be in a sep cage untill they r big enough to go into the frezor .....if there is one thats being a pest bugging the others it will be first for supper :)

Im a lover not a killer I do wanna love my food while it grows and Im ok with all that but doing the deed and some of the cleaning ......I will help with some and I do believe in praying with the amimal before taking its life....I wanna raise food tht is more healthy and rabbits makes sense betteer than other animals in a small property .... 1/4 of an acre

Im feeding them grass but more weeds then grass so thats a god thing in my lawn lol
-dandelions
-they love sun choke root
-hens and chickens
-twigs cuttings off of apple, lilac, elm, maple, (not cherry and not rose)
-yarrow
-yellow dock a bit of it leaves
-a bit of burdock leaves
-clover
lettuce
-chickory
-orpine
-motherwort leaves
-a bit of comfrey
-mallow

thats all I can remember I give them an assortment and I pu the leafy weeds in a coffee can so they can pull it out as they feed :)
I place the twigs in where they sit
and the potato from sun choke and the hens and chickens to the corner of the cage cuz they r a wet veggie and you dont want then to rott in there so place themm where you can take the old ones out ;)

I have some pictures to add in a bit :) I wanna set up a you cut my grass bunnies but havent gotten there yet ;) but these inside cages will be set up to catch the waste to use directly in the garden it dosnt need to be composted :) but I have some pine shaving in some of the bedding and this can mess up the garden but I will put this around the trees I have that need a boost of nutes :)
  • Juthro, Spooner, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,166 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:07 PM

Sounds nice, WildE :)

Looking forward to seeing the pics.
  • wildedibles likes this

#3 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,510 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:55 AM

Here is our buddy Dorathy

.....just wait now nothings this easy around here .....grrr....

#4 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,510 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

here she is sorry about the delay....

gallery_121976_1582_78447.jpg

gallery_121976_1582_77067.jpg

gallery_121976_1582_19559.jpg

gallery_121976_1582_21660.jpg

gallery_121976_1582_114979.jpg

gallery_121976_1582_58393.jpg

gallery_121976_1582_75978.jpg

shes faster then the pet turtle we had ;)
  • PirateFarmer, Skywatcher, Juthro and 2 others like this

#5 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 614 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:09 PM

Excellent looking doe! I've got about 40 rabbits, right now. @ things to note: 1) It's actually 5 weeks (not 1 month) before they kindle (give birth) {The giants, such as the Flemings can take a bit longer}, and they can be weaned anytime after they start coming out of the nesting box on their own (4-6 weeks). 2) If you have them on the ground (I do, it's called 'colony rabbit raising'), they are not actually rabbits but actually European hares = and WILL dig tunnels! I've currently got two 'blue' boys that did so, and are roaming around the yard w/ the dog...the cat...and the two baby goats that are still small enough to excape their momma's pen. Hard for me to go for a walk around the farm...every last damn one of these critters follow me down my steep driveway...and methinks I just might look like some demented Pied Piper/Pirate!

Anyways, the best way to avoid having them tunnel out of their pens, is to, when first setting it up, is to lay out some tight (small opening) fence on the ground, cover w/ a foot of soil, then plant it into their special pasture combination. I also, for the 'girls' pen' dig a couple of holes in the ground (while laying out the ground fence) about a foot deep, and insert a box for them to build nests in, when they are ready to kindle.

Here's a good link to check out. I really like to go out and sit in the rabbit pen after a long day of pirating...just kind of 'peaces me out', if you know what I mean.

https://farmingmybac...singrabbits101/

• wildedibles, Juthro and Spooner like this

#6 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

My dad used to raise rabbits....we had the big furry ones that you can shave and use the fur to make clothing....idk what kind they were....

Recently I have been considering raising guinea pigs for food.....

• wildedibles and PirateFarmer like this

#7 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,962 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:57 PM

So cute! I bet it's soft!

#8 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,266 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:07 PM

Click on the first pix, then just flip through the rest by using the "next" button upper right of each pix.

(Next button appears when cursor is in upper right of the pix.)

The bunny seems to hop away almost like a movie.  Very cool sequence of pix Wilde.  

Can't wait to see the first batch of fur balls.  Do they follow momma like ducks?

P.S. Thanks PirateFarmer, for the nice article on colony raised rabbits.

What is difference between rabbits and hares?

Edited by Spooner, 25 May 2017 - 11:41 PM.

• wildedibles and CatsAndBats like this

#9 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,510 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:10 AM

Excellent looking doe! I've got about 40 rabbits, right now. @ things to note: 1) It's actually 5 weeks (not 1 month) before they kindle (give birth) {The giants, such as the Flemings can take a bit longer}, and they can be weaned anytime after they start coming out of the nesting box on their own (4-6 weeks). 2) If you have them on the ground (I do, it's called 'colony rabbit raising'), they are not actually rabbits but actually European hares = and WILL dig tunnels! I've currently got two 'blue' boys that did so, and are roaming around the yard w/ the dog...the cat...and the two baby goats that are still small enough to excape their momma's pen. Hard for me to go for a walk around the farm...every last damn one of these critters follow me down my steep driveway...and methinks I just might look like some demented Pied Piper/Pirate!
Anyways, the best way to avoid having them tunnel out of their pens, is to, when first setting it up, is to lay out some tight (small opening) fence on the ground, cover w/ a foot of soil, then plant it into their special pasture combination. I also, for the 'girls' pen' dig a couple of holes in the ground (while laying out the ground fence) about a foot deep, and insert a box for them to build nests in, when they are ready to kindle.
Here's a good link to check out. I really like to go out and sit in the rabbit pen after a long day of pirating...just kind of 'peaces me out', if you know what I mean.
https://farmingmybac...singrabbits101/

Thank you Thank you :) Lots of great info there ....a friend filled me in on the digging too which has made me rethink the whole outside lawn mower cage ....still gonna test a few things.....LOVE LOVE the idea about burried nests for the Momma rabbits :) ......I still need time to check out all your info thanks

oh maybe youd know if rabbits would eat or can eat hop vines ??

#10 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,266 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:21 AM

Would a lawnmower cage work with 2" square bottom wire for grass to come through but to small for burrowing bunnies?

• wildedibles likes this

#11 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,510 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:30 AM

My dad used to raise rabbits....we had the big furry ones that you can shave and use the fur to make clothing....idk what kind they were....

Recently I have been considering raising guinea pigs for food.....

shaving rabbits ah...nope she scratches way too much trying to hold her normally ;) lol

Guinea pigs :) now thats a critter I know more about ....if you could eat them I would recomend them my kids would not they r too pet like and they were too little and wwould never see them as food

I remember watching this one show where these big tuff guys went all ovet the world fighting in diff styles ...they would fight and the winner went to the rich part of town and the loser would go to the poor part of town each would stay with locals anywaylol ....these 2 guys went to stay in this mud hut and there was guinnea pigs running around everywhere and threw the day these guys were playing with them while doing the chores and such....at the end of the day it was time to get supper and the owner of the house told them to pick out a guinnea pig to have for supper 1 each ....oh my I have never heard a big guy cry so hard in my life I couldnt help but laugh :) I would cry too and wouldnt hold it against anyone but ....a guy putting on the tuff guy pushing it soo hard for the show then ....poor guy I think he chose to starve ....you dont wanna get stuck with too many pigs cuz they will breed like rabbits :)

pigs dont dig either they made great grass cutters ...I took the top of the cage it was wire and put them in it on the ground and they ate all the grass move around ....this is what I want with rabbits bt they tricking me with this diggin stuff ;)

you can have 2 in a cage ....2feet by 1 1/2feet or something like that they do not need a lot of room but need more room then a rat or a hamster ...they r friendly with eachother ...I thik I had 4 the same sex cuz none of them had babies

down fall you need pine shavings for bedding to help the smell they need to be in where its warm but all summer they wer eout in the day not the night or something woulda ate them you have to be around to make sure they dont get eaten .....pine shavings didnt work that great in the garden but the trees loved the mulch :)

both animals will eat veggie scraps and fruit scraps so instead of composting them you give it to them first :)

pigs are small you would need one each but not takingup much room and being more suitable for apt or small places better then rabbits it is deff a recomendation if you could eat the cute little guys :) they r more friendly then some rabbits but all animals verry ;)
  • Spooner likes this

#12 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,510 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:36 AM

Would a lawnmower cage work with 2" square bottom wire for grass to come through but to small for burrowing bunnies?

:) r u reading my mind again?? I think that be big enough squares that the grass would come threw without being all pushed down and they can squeese threw this size but it be harder to get threw they look for a bent spot on the sides that we used this wire stuff ut at the bottom I think it work ....sides we r covering with smaller wire so its taking longer we quit for a bit to do the inside cages

Click on the first pix, then just flip through the rest by using the "next" button upper right of each pix.
(Next button appears when cursor is in upper right of the pix.)
The bunny seems to hop away almost like a movie.  Very cool sequence of pix Wilde.  
Can't wait to see the first batch of fur balls.  Do they follow momma like ducks?

P.S. Thanks PirateFarmer, for the nice article on colony raised rabbits.
What is difference between rabbits and hares?

yes thanks again :)

and thanks too spooner I set the camra to take a pic every second or something like that to see her hoppin away :) shes good at that
  • Spooner likes this

#13 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 614 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:12 PM

lawnmower cage...? Maybe, if it's big enough to give them excercise. I'd suggest just putting any fencing w/ opening no larger than cyclone fencing or 2" x 4" and just lay it one the ground, for now - the bunnies will get some grass out of it, while placing a simple 'cage' over it...and moving as needed/wanted. Have you ever seen these: https://www.stromber...iABEgLe2_D_BwE DON'T spend that much - use regular small-opening fence wire & pvc pipe, google the plans. Just make sure that it's strong enough to keep any potential danger out, such as dogs or in an enclosed, secure area such as backyard? Tarp over half of it, and feed/water just like you do in cages, only they'll get some of the grass, especially if you lay the cyclone ground fence down a few days ahead of time, for the grass to spring back up. Just move them around over the fencing as needed. have fun!

Bunnies yoou shave for the fur are Angoras...yup, them and Angora goats are where you get that rich wool.

Guinia pigs are, in fact, a main staple of protein in South America. The cottontails and most N. American are rabbits - exception being the snowshoe hare.

Hares - tend to be larger, and dig tunnels/holes as dens for shelter and kindling. Rabbits don't dig - they nest in the tall grass. The tame ones Americans have are European hares, extensively selectively bred over time. But they still do best when they can get out on the ground and 'be rabbits'.

• wildedibles likes this

#14 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 614 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:23 PM

Ooops...My bad = I forgot - the jackrabbit is also actually a hare.

• wildedibles likes this

#15 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,510 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:02 PM

We have snow shoe hares here where I live I used to get correected alot when I called them rabbits ....so I started calling them bunnies :)
R these the only hares that change color white winter coat and brown summer coat ....Ive been told that there is a big one behind the grocery store ;) they used to throw lettuce scraps behind there lol

Dorathy got laid today so we will have little ones about a month give or take eh? first or 2nd week in july :) hey we will have Canada day or Independence day babies somewhere there ....

The lawn mower cages hjave been a pain in the ass hard to explain all the details but I will have pictures they r almost done
Love the idea just laying down the wire but we have a wire bottom hopefully large enough for grass and small enough they wont dig out....Love the idea laying it down a day or so ahead Im trying that out now cuz we got lazy and didnt finish yet almost gota do a top a bit so predators dont get them ah...hawlks and cats etc...Po ...lol
we will give them a shade tarp and maybe a box etc to climb in maybe they wont dig as much.....I was told if they do dig a hole well watch them and if they do dig get them soon enough and just put hand in hole and pull them out ....cant remember the size of the opening she wouldnt get out it on the sides unless it was bent a bit so the hole was bigger then she was out the bottom is perfect no bends and on the bottom so Im hoping it works

I have a drop celing in my portch and Im gonna hang the inside cages so everything drops out on the plastic bottom I have and just empty that into the garden so I do not have to lift cages or prop them up etc...keeps them safe from critters and keeps the dog outa them
  • PirateFarmer and Spooner like this

#16 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,266 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:42 PM

Wikki is my friend.  What's the Difference Between Rabbits and Hares?

Hares and rabbits are in the same family, Leporidae, but they're "different species, like sheep and goats are different species," Steven Lukefahr, a geneticist at Texas A&M University in Kingsville, first off, a hare's pregnancy lasts 42 days, compared with rabbits' 30-31 days with a bun(ny) in the oven.

Newborn hares, called leverets, are fully developed at birth—furred with open eyes—while newborn rabbits, called kittens or kits, are born undeveloped, with closed eyes, no fur, and an inability to regulate their own temperature, Stott said.

Their nests are also worlds apart—"hares live completely above ground, lacking the normal burrow or warren system of rabbits," 

• Rabbits are very social animals and live in colonies. Male rabbits even fight within a group to become the dominant male. The dominant male rabbit then mates with most of the females in the area. On the other hand, hares live most of the time by themselves. They come together in pairs for mating only. There is almost no fighting among hares - they just pair off.

Next week boys and girls Alder logs will explain gravity.

Edited by Spooner, 31 May 2017 - 11:08 PM.

• wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#17 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 909 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:22 PM

Just off the top of my head, sounds like hares are a more primitive species.
  • wildedibles, Juthro and Spooner like this

#18 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 614 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:53 PM

Actually, everything that wikipedia is showing on differences between rabbits/hares is opposite of what I was taught by the 3 breeders I've learned from...but what the hell - as long as as the details on raising them are correct. I've always heard 31-35 days for gestation, up to 42 for the giant breeds. Mine (I've used 4 different breeds) have almost always gone 33-36 days. I figure 5 weeks, start to watch her around day 30. Some will 'pull fur' 2-3 days before kindling...but I've had some that pull fur only a couple of hours before. Just thought I'd mention that...no one happened to mention just how much fur they pull, and I had 2 do it the same day = methought that something had somehow reached in through the cage & ripped them apart! And after scores of births, only two litters were born during the day -  and both were in early winter. Too hot around here to breed in summer - which reminds me to mention: unless you want a low birth rate/high mortality rate, don't breed them during very hot weather - mid-90s during the day or higher is just too hot for the babies. You can tell if the mating took, by puting the doe back into the buck's cage (don't do the reverse, as he'll spend time exploring the new surroundings - 'get in, get it on for a couple of hours *max*, get out'. repeat next day, until she makes this weird noise (hard to describe, but once you've heard it, you'll know it) and won't let him mount. Some does resist even from the beginning, so that's not a sure thing - but if you hear that 'growly' noise, she's preggers. You can actually use two does & one buck to raise more lean meat than an entire cow, in one year. Lean, tasty, so much easier to process than a chicken...and don't even get me started on that oh-so-tender liver!  

• wildedibles and Spooner like this

#19 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,166 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:04 PM

I thought I would share that processed rabbit (butchered, and frozen) goes for about $9 a pound where I live at the local farmers market.

#20 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,510 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:11 PM

The babies may come when its hot here ...they do have the coolest plaace in the yard / house ....I have an iidea for her basket to have it airy for thhe summer ( I have a hard plastic tray I think close to 2" high has lots of holes ...oh ya gotta check make sure they r not too big of holes) ....I give them boxes but found some hard plastic tubs and stuff that we r gonna drill holes in (like the ice cream pails from the ice cream store big one) drill some side holes and back holes to have some air threw and so the pee dont puddle in them
Ive put dandelions in the big plastic coffee cans and they pull them all out

It was funny I sent her to the neighbour with my 15 year old boy :) the neighour boy and him took dorathy to her boy friend and well she let him right away ...Mom I dont think she really had a choice ;) lol but there was a girl bunny on the other side licking her face so she was ok she got a 3 some ;) LMAO
...need to let him know that a bitch is a bitch and if she really didnt want it she woulda thumped him like she does my arm when I take her dandelions away ;)

Edited by wildedibles, 01 June 2017 - 05:13 PM.

• PirateFarmer, Juthro and Spooner like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!