91 replies to this topic

#21 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:45 PM

My 2 are New Zeland Rabbits .....Im more confused now looking into where this breed came from ? Wikipedia shake my head confusing me more ;) lol
....Dorathys boy friend is a small Flemish giant I think both have a mixed heritage which is ok with me ....reading more about these giant rabbits they reach their full weight at 1 year old ...I was worried about Dorathy having babies as big as she is they just take longer to reach full size....and these 2 breeds are bread together often from what I have read....
...and I would have a black one thats Dorathy and the gray one mixums is blue he does look blue but "they" still dont know if this is a reconized color if it was a flemish giant they would call it gray ;)
...I maybe new to all the wording here but ah well lets raise some rabbits......

....that noise that the doe makes ? is it kinda grunting / growling like a duck would do ?? she does this to me all the time when I do anything she dont like ;) lol

Edited by wildedibles, 01 June 2017 - 05:50 PM.

• PirateFarmer and Spooner like this

#22 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:11 AM

http://www.raising-r...bit-breeds.html

I found this on diff rabbit breeds

and I learned that pine shavings can cause eye to become inflamed or goopy getting small sawdust debri is the culprit....dorathy came to me for kinda free cuz she had a goopy eye well I know that can clear up and it has but I do not use much pine shavings its more for the floor where I stand on not where they r....aaltho it could add to my allergies that are acting up with all this pollen the trees are letting go of

Ive been giving her herby weeds I think its been hekkping her too with the less shavings :) oragano, yarrow, mallow, knot weed, etc.....
  • Spooner likes this

#23 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:23 AM

...need to let him know that a bitch is a bitch and if she really didnt want it she woulda thumped him like she does my arm when I take her dandelions away ;)

I read that Jackrabbits(hares?) does run away from males, if they can't catch her in a mile or two then they lose the genetic race as poor breeding stock.  But if the male catches her and she is not ready to breed, she will stand on her hind legs and punch him in the face umtil he gets the message, "no means NO."

• wildedibles and PirateFarmer like this

#24 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:56 AM

LMAO ....OMG the picture of the Jackalope ? came on TV the jackrabbit with deer horns LMAO....no kidding that pic came up lol
  • Juthro and Spooner like this

#25 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,614 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:27 PM

I had forgotten about Jackalopes..... But I don't think you want to raise them, as they are far too dangerous. ;)

post-136504-0-83628000-1496427947.jpg

jackalope_2.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 02 June 2017 - 04:09 PM.

• wildedibles, CatsAndBats and Cuboid like this

#26 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:49 PM

So they echo sing in the evenings before thunderstorms cool didnt know that they mimic cowboy's singing thier songs :)

#27 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:28 AM

Excellent looking doe! I've got about 40 rabbits, right now. @ things to note: 1) It's actually 5 weeks (not 1 month) before they kindle (give birth) {The giants, such as the Flemings can take a bit longer}, and they can be weaned anytime after they start coming out of the nesting box on their own (4-6 weeks). 2) If you have them on the ground (I do, it's called 'colony rabbit raising'), they are not actually rabbits but actually European hares = and WILL dig tunnels! I've currently got two 'blue' boys that did so, and are roaming around the yard w/ the dog...the cat...and the two baby goats that are still small enough to excape their momma's pen. Hard for me to go for a walk around the farm...every last damn one of these critters follow me down my steep driveway...and methinks I just might look like some demented Pied Piper/Pirate!
Anyways, the best way to avoid having them tunnel out of their pens, is to, when first setting it up, is to lay out some tight (small opening) fence on the ground, cover w/ a foot of soil, then plant it into their special pasture combination. I also, for the 'girls' pen' dig a couple of holes in the ground (while laying out the ground fence) about a foot deep, and insert a box for them to build nests in, when they are ready to kindle.
Here's a good link to check out. I really like to go out and sit in the rabbit pen after a long day of pirating...just kind of 'peaces me out', if you know what I mean.
https://farmingmybac...singrabbits101/

Sorry buddy I guess I got stoned and forgot that we had the rabitconvo started in a diff thread ...I was looking for the vid I posted on outdoor cage and well its not in here ....oh ya :) my garden thread

https://mycotopia.ne...rden/?p=1319040

I started this thread to gather more info :) So thanks for helpin ....I just read that colony link ....I have a shed / portch that they r in right now ....floor wood that is starting to fall apart.....walls are good and somewhat insulated thin panaling.....good solid wall where it is attached to the indoor part of the house wood......ah...celing leaks in sme areas....and is a drop down that has lost most tiles and the celing isnt insulated .....door going inside is good ut out door door isnt good at all its open all the time kinda so the dog can go out from the first door into his dog fenced in yard....threw this portch there is a dog yard and a wood shed all fenced but rabbits could get out or get eaten by the dog.....he reallylikes the rabbits

im gonna think more about the portch area hee we haave it blocked off so they can hop and get exercize in the bigger area but they could break out if we r not watchiing

Im not certian if the boy and girl I have are brother and sister or not what happends if they r together and bred?
I still say that cats breed like rabbits

#28 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:55 AM

ok hubby dosnt like the idea of hanging them from the ceiling he thinks the drop celing bars are not strong enough?? ....so as with all these silly rabit ideas go to plan b and c and so on tillsomething works ...or I turnn my work room into a rabbit room :) Dorathy did like sitting and watching tv with me the cat took one look at her and took off :)

so plan b screw them to the wall :) or

plan c use hubbys saw horses and support them on that behind a blockaid so Po cannot get to them

or a mix of plan a,b and c lol .....turn portch room into bunny room

#29 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

[Direct Link]

That is a good size for colony rabbits :) but lots f problems can arise and well I cannot have something this big but with a bit more work protection from birds and raccons and such she would have a good plan there ....the dirt mound is a good idea ...but I like the wire and back fill idea much better ;) .....or wire bottom and make bunny holes in ice cream buckets or other buckets and such with holes for ventilation or bottom holes to keep the urine draining away from puddling on the plastic surfaces

there is another pod cast on cages vs colony pro's and cons of each...if I could let them play then cage them a combo of each so they r proteced in thier cage to sleep at night this would be the best ....I hve a small yard and if it starts to look like a farm I will get a notice or someone from the town will stop by :) I know the animal bylaw officer he is a good and decent guy and I know him well so at least it will be a talk instead of a fine etc.....but I have to hide things or keep them neat

I have a rabbit hutch coming ??when I dont know?? and a couple of cages they said....a friend was raising rabbits on his farm but gave it up but have these hutches and cages left sitting there looking pretty bt I havent seen them....told they were still sturdy....I have to go get poop hopefully I will remember to look at them this time ;)

I have lots of odds and ends of wood.....and I have tile laid down on my portch wood...almost rotting but just in a couple places and I replaced the bord but I dont trust it for long but really dont care if bunnies ruin it either needs to be replaced....this portch would do better if it was riped off the house but its still sturdy enough for a bit but it should be classed as an outside area and preditors can get in .....but if they ran around in this area for exercise and social interactions etc it be good for that (I let them out one at a time to play about) but need to clean it up a bit make sure they cant get out .....and have the cages on here easier to clean instead of the mess and heavy cages that need to be lifted every day or other day

guinney pigs are easier .....I think bunnies and guiney pigs would get along ....hehehehe .....maybe if I can find some that would breed I will put them in there too ....they eat the exact same stuff and the bedding can be the same etc.....smaller feet and maybe smaller babies (but they should have a night time small critter plastic bottom cage anyway) ...but could run around on the ground / floor with the bunnies at times

#30 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

[Direct Link]

this one is creative I like how the bottom has a space for pipe / tunnels and tubs you could easily turn a 10' x 10' space doule or triple it by adding an upper levels to the area as well ....cuz I heard that you need 10' x 10' space for each rabbit so they wont fight

I like the one idea I seen for two colonys on for the male's and male grow outs and one for the famale's and female grow outs and the babys so there is less fighting .....there is so many you tube videos I cannot post them all but give a rabbit colony search and you can find lots of ideas
  • PirateFarmer likes this

#31 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:03 PM

we just finished up the rabbit cages we put them on saw horses had a few 10' or longer 2x4's that well one was twisted a bit and the other is an older one so we didnt have to waste the good building ones ;)
we put 4 peices of pine tongue and grove wood to make the cage sit on so they are really sturdy....we kept one dressor out there so po cannot jump over and bug the bunnies this blocks the rabbits in so they can run loose on the floor when I want them too have to keep an eye on them tho dont want them to find a way out over night or when we are not around watching them but they can have exercize in this bigger area
I just found another bunnie box tub a hidy spot for the inside of the cage have one for the male and we have ice cream tubs for the floor exercize area ....need to drill some holes so urine dosnt pool in them
gotta take some pictures and add them here so you know what Im getting at ;)

#32 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

Wildedibles: that's probably the noise I'm referring to. Distinct, but hard to describe. I love your vids you posted...I like the chainlink one, espcially. Caution: if using any sides of wood (instead of the chain link), if the bunnies can get their teeth into it, they will...and will be gone, for sure. They'll also ingest the insulation, which can kill them, of course. I've seen colonies w/ platic or metal sheathing 18-24" high, to prevent this. No paint. And half the fun (for me, anyways) is the experimentation of trying different ways and designs, to see what happens and works best for my particular animals. And another, little-noticed, benefit: all this time and effort spent on your critters is exactly like the same on your kids: it's not just the having better things for them, but also they notice, and grow closer to you - and in the case of critters, especially, tend to be healthier & happier, just because you spend the time with them. And, unlike your kids, when they become obnozious teenagers, you can just eat them!

• wildedibles likes this

#33 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:49 PM

2887522391_762db15e5a_z.jpg?zz=1

• wildedibles likes this

#34 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

Hahahah or with Flemish giants they could eat the teenagers ;) Thanks for the laugh :) Animals relax me and well give me somethiing to do ....they help me and the kids with anxiety too Im trying to make it easier to see and get the rabbits out for my older son to interacht with them he loved his guiney pigs I think he will really get into these animals :)
I Love the idea of playing with my food :) I always have lol ....but seriously a happy animal is a good animal same with us the relationship should be like this for healthier food :) This is why I am a forager by heart happy plants and mushrooms growing in the wild like they r soposed to....I love wild meat too but I cannot kill maybe if I really have to but Im the lover ;)

I have enjoyed finding things for the rabbits weather I have it and it works ...or buy a few things like the new bucket I got for 5 bucks ;) lol
fixing this room it will get better out there but its set up pretty cool right now ....plan for something ideal and use what I have to make it good for now :) buying just what I need is working .....

I need to start getting straw and hay for them instead of pine shavings I think the pine is bugging my allergies more so then just the pollen in the trees right now I go out there I smell the pine and it bugs me right away....my allergies got worse when I got the pine in so next time hay or straw.....right now there is planty of grass to dry a bit to cover the shavings on the floor / tarp to make for easier clean up.....
....rabbits do have more mess then guinney pigs but they do tend to mess in one spot making littler training very possiblle maybe even easier then with cats ;)
  • PirateFarmer and CatsAndBats like this

#35 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:43 PM

well dorathy kicked the crap outa my arm lol grunting all the way boy was she mad that I was removing her boxes and bedding ;) ....she got a little better when I gave her her new boxes and stuff ...oldest boy drilled some holes for me :) and I was then ale to give her tub (has a door cut in it) being upside down mimics a hole to hide in :) he has one too and for this the dollar store one won out compared to the 5 buck bin :) easier to cut and drill without cracking so there is a his and hers hers is bigger incase she wants babies in this box thing
I gave her a nest box she wanted something t sit in and sit ontop of so the nest and bin work for this
and they both have an ice cream pail with holes drilled in the end and the sides ...this mimics a tunnel that is easier to clean :)
So they r happy with thier new stuff :) she didnt wana let me catch her so she didnt come out and run around on the floor but he did (mixums) had a fun time running on the floor while I cleaned out the cages
....and I really think its the pine shavings that having allergies to the hay not helping that much either but the pine is bad and it probably the cause of dorathys eye boogers LOL :) everytime shes on pine for bedding her eye gets goopy hay no issues so found the cause there :)

but ya she was being mean attacking me more then normal charging me and scratching me with front and back legs she was doing everything but bitting me .....mabey she is prego cannot take her out to but her with this male to tell?? he was fine he came over I petted him and was able to pick him up and put him down to run about and he was searching everywhere for a way out ;) seeing how high he can reach / jump up and check every edge to see if there is a hole lol
they like jumping up on the sawhorse bottome sturdy brace (maybe put a board here so they can go up a bit of a layer they have a book shelf with no back and hop threw that (I use it to put stuff on so win win) I put a board there for a ramp up the shelf ...need some more boxes and stuff in here ....I can get creatie with ideas here :) I want some pvc piping or culvert stuff that goes under drive ways for water to run threw :) bunnie tunnels :)

Edited by wildedibles, 05 June 2017 - 04:52 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#36 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:15 PM

all this work to keep their cages clean ...... well I think it be easier to litter train them :) lol they always go in the same spot and in a basket or bin type thing they r asking to be litter trained .....lol ....putting them down on the floor in the portch worked well they got along really well ...its hard to catch her shes a real grump :) Like I can be at times so the kids undterstand shes a grumpy girl ;) lol ....he is really tame on the floor today I had him down and her in her cage but anyway went to check on him here and there and he came over to me to say hi so I can pet him ....too see what I got ;) weedy goodies :) and well he was nibling on my pants lol not biting me but having a nibble on my clothes .....he knows not to move too much when I pick him up and he gets to go on the floor :) good bunny....maybe dorathy will want to come put tomrow or i will have to make her an elevator it wouldnt be the first my hubby had to put in for a grumpy lady lmao :)

#37 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

Here should be some bunny pictures if everything works out???.....

IMG_8924.JPG

IMG_8928.JPG

IMG_8931.JPG

IMG_8934.JPG

This is the bunny portch room with the cages

#38 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

This is the outdoor lawn mower cage

IMG_8939.JPG

The larger gauge wire made it sturdy but they can fit threw ....so covered it with chicken wire ....

then well way too many people informed me ;) that bunnies can dig .....so we could turn it upside down?..... grass fits threw maybe they wont dig out the bigger holes??

IMG_8910.JPG

we added extra dandelions and well the bugger started chewing on the chicken wire to get out the sides??....keep thinking and planning :) I see why people build hutches I may have a few coming ....??

• Juthro likes this

#39 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

and here is the bunnies running about on the floor :) they were being nice but its hard getting her in and out of cage 

IMG_8953.JPG

IMG_8958.JPG

IMG_8975.JPG

IMG_8976.JPG

IMG_8984.JPG

• Juthro likes this

#40 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:50 AM

I guess in a week to two weeks we should have some babiy bunnies :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!