#1 sparrow95

sparrow95

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

For the past thirty years or so, every time I hear a politician talk about "the war on xxxxx". I get irritated.  It's such a cynical, mean, lie. and it pisses me off that so many people buy into it and use the term as if it has meaning.   Wars are fought against people.   If they want to kill people they should at least admit it.  Their wars are against Syrians, not Syria.  Terrorists, not Terror.  Drug users, not drugs.   We never hear about a war on theft, or a war on murder. Why? Because it's obviously a useless statement.   I think politicians tend to be devious, intelligent people. They would have to be stupid to think they can win a war against a nebulous concept. They want power and money, and they kill people to get it.

I declare war on SCAMUNISM!!!!       What do you think?       Will I win?

• Myc, Alder Logs, Guy1298 and 4 others like this

#2 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,428 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

I think that's probably the most accurate description of our government, Scamunism.
  • Juthro and Spooner like this

#3 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,621 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:22 PM

I like it. 

We have pirate presidents running the scamunist government........

edit:

As for winning. I'm sure victory will occur sometime between the winning of the war on terror and the war on drugs. 

Edited by Myc, 26 May 2017 - 04:25 PM.

• Juthro and wharfrat like this

#4 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:28 PM

Indeed......I am encouraged to hear others coming to the same conclusions............without me preaching......... :hug:

I'm not much of a saint or preacher................but I definitely see the Scamunists from the local business level all the way up....and they call it SUCCESS..........

A

• Juthro and wharfrat like this

#5 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:08 PM

Like similar pseudo "Wars", you can just DECLARE VICTORY, then go home when people get tired of it.  

(...or when mother calls the children inside for supper...)

Both parties already accuse each other of Scamunism in the form of "Fake News" so I predict some widespread support for the concept.

Edited by Spooner, 26 May 2017 - 07:24 PM.

• Myc and wharfrat like this

#6 sparrow95

sparrow95

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:35 PM

Like similar pseudo "Wars", you can just DECLARE VICTORY, then go home when people get tired of it.  

(...or when mother calls the children inside for supper...)

Both parties already accuse each other of Scamunism in the form of "Fake News" so I predict some widespread support for the concept.

Wouldn't it be fun if it went viral?

#7 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,451 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:12 PM

If you end the war on nouns, what will become of the noun-industrial-complex? Shouldn't we think of the children?

• Myc, wharfrat and CatsAndBats like this

#8 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:56 AM

If you end the war on nouns, what will become of the noun-industrial-complex? Shouldn't we think of the children?

The kids are becoming common-cored which means they will hardly know what a noun is.

This subject gives a whole new meaning to "grammer nazi".

#9 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,428 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:25 AM

"Grammar"
  • Alder Logs and Juthro like this

#10 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:36 AM

"Grammar"

I thought it more apropos to misspell it considering the content. ;)

#11 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,428 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:18 AM

I was simply enjoying the "I see what you did there" moment.
  • shoomer likes this

#12 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

Nobody is going to fix anybody else, especially with linguistically derived concepts.  I am all for communications having a good standard so it can be as trustworthy as is possible but there are limitations which should be appreciated, lest we bullshit ourselves into thinking we have any ultimate answer.   

The nature of information is it is incomplete.

Anything that seven point five billion minds do with incomplete understanding is surely not going to untangle the Gordian knot, including cursing those we perceive as purposefully creating the tangle.   We aid the whole mess when we wade in with our own piece of the incomplete picture.   But, doesn't it all look so clear from up on our high horses?  

So, I guess it's do what you can in your own sphere and try not to shit yourself too much about how it should be.   Change is going to happen.   We can make the noise level louder, or not.  

• sparrow95 likes this

#13 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,451 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:02 PM

Nobody is going to fix anybody else, especially with linguistically derived concepts.  

Depends on what you mean by "fix".  A strong case could be made that linguistically derived concepts (or lack thereof) are the ultimate way to achieve control.

This is a heady topic. Kevin Cole is doing some very interesting research (if this kind of thing is your bag - as it is mine) into these concepts.

Here is a small detour for anyone's edification:

[Direct Link]

• shoomer likes this

#14 Cybilopsin

Cybilopsin

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 198 posts

Donator

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:26 PM

It's amusing how the beginning of the "-unism" sentence tag was added to create
the portmanteau, "SCAMUNISM". Where does the "-un-" syllable come from? Not from
scam, scammed, or scamming.

It's an excellent point August West made above:

Depends on what you mean by "fix".  A strong case could be made that linguistically derived concepts (or lack thereof) are the ultimate way to achieve control.

Or as my take on it, linguistic concepts are involved in some of the most powerful
power-constructing processes of our time. I digress.

My question was a trick question. obviously in the context of a topic based around
the fear of "scary government systems" the -un- syllable added to scam derives from
the word communism (i.e. Stalinism). Why not simple SCAMISM? Because the -un-
syllable was consciously or unconsciously necessary in some way to connect this idea
with communism, the archetypal scary government system. It makes great writing,
compliments to sparrow95.

but then again I can see that "scam" is probably supposed to balance with "communism"
to create "scamunism", since this would appear to be "fair": half a critique of the center,
capitalism ("its a scam, they rip you off" is often the only critique of capitalism that
many people can usually agree on these days) and half a critique of the left (Stalinism!).
makes for better writing yet.

#15 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

Several cunning-linguists on this thread.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!