#1 sparrow95

sparrow95

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 163 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:40 PM

I meditate.   I often have thoughts that intrude while i'm meditating.  People often call this "the monkey mind". I find that internally chanting a mantra is quite effective as a way to maintain focus.  Typically, mantras I'm aware of are in a foreign language from a culture I'm not familiar with. Om mani padme hum for example. It sounds pleasant, but even after reading various translations it lacks meaning for me.  I've been using "Thank you I accept this day" during meditation.  It works for me.  I also find it helps during the day when thoughts intrude.  I am grateful.  Thank you for reading this.

• Skywatcher, Heirloom and Neptunechild like this

#2 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,573 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:10 PM

I have used many mantras, Om Mani Padme Hum others of my own they work for me . I got a set of Buddhaist prayer beads. I find using some beads can be great and when done I know I have spent X amount of time meditating.Using words we understand/feel is proper practice in my opinion.

it helps me also when I want to re-focus any time of day. I like to meditate with mushrooms or LSD.

shalom
  • Skywatcher and Neptunechild like this

#3 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,521 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:28 PM

I don't think not knowing what the words are supposed to mean matters very much and having some idea of meaning may even create a play thing for the monkey.   I like to use a mantra when I get what is called an "ear worm."  That's a phrase or a song that gets stuck looping, and it's invariably something stupid, or a song I really don't like.  I have long liked the image of Ganesh and first heard this Ganesh mantra in this song. 

It is said that this mantra clears obstacles.   I think it does.

om gam ganapataye namaha

[Direct Link]

As for your, "Thank you I accept this day," Mooji says, "'Thank you' is the best mantra."

Edited by Alder Logs, 27 May 2017 - 04:31 PM.

• Skywatcher, Heirloom and Neptunechild like this

#4 sparrow95

sparrow95

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 163 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:43 PM

I don't think not knowing what the words are supposed to mean matters very much and having some idea of meaning may even create a play thing for the monkey.   I like to use a mantra when I get what is called an "ear worm."  That's a phrase or a song that gets stuck looping, and it's invariably something stupid, or a song I really don't like.  I have long liked the image of Ganesh and first heard this Ganesh mantra in this song. 

It is said that this mantra clears obstacles.   I think it does.

om gam ganapataye namaha

[Direct Link]

As for your, "Thank you I accept this day," Mooji says, "'Thank you' is the best mantra."

Thank you.    Beautiful

• Alder Logs and Neptunechild like this

#5 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 673 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:20 PM

Namaste (Not only do I start nearly every post on Mycotopia with Namaste, but also nearly everyday of my life)

I used to repeate Sarvam Dukham (All  is pain) Sarvam Bhayam (All is fear) Sarvam Anityam (All is temporary) Sarvam Shoonyam (All  is hollow)

a lot.

Especially in my time in South Korea were I was planning to travel for a couple of weeks, but I ended up staying there for nearly half a year..wandering from one temple to the other. I stopped doing it after realising that it's a kind of Memento Mori that I do need in someway or another, but def. don't have to repeat everyday of my life as I have this knowledge in me, without thinking.

I found it very hard nearly all my life and still struggle sometimes to have compassion with the people around me that I don't understand and never will, so Om Mani Padme Hum is indeed one of my favorit. I do understand that translating it is very difficult, but the Dalai Lama says it's the Mantra of Compassion and I try my best to repeat it many times.

Everytime I eat I thank God and I try to see God in everything, without being a Pantheist. Or maybe I am one, I don't know.

I am. That's it.

Om tarre tuttare ture so ha

Lama Zopa Rinpoche explains "Om tarre tuttare ture so ha" as follow:

"In short, om tare tuttare ture soha means `I prostrate to the Liberator, Mother of all the Victorious Ones.`
The Tara mantra is om tare tuttare ture soha. To explain the meaning of tare tuttare ture: tare means liberating from samsara.

Tare shows that Mother Tara liberates living beings from samsara, from true suffering, or problems.

You can relate this to the particular sufferings of human beings: birth, old age, sickness and death; meeting undesirable objects and experiencing aversion; not finding desirable objects or finding them but gaining no satisfaction… All these are the problems of true suffering. If you rely upon Tara by taking refuge in her and doing Tara practices—such as the recitation of mantra or praises — with tare, Tara liberates you from all these true sufferings.

The second word, tuttare, liberates you from the eight fears. There are eight fears related to external dangers from fire, water, air, earth, and also from such things as thieves and dangerous animals. However, the main dangers come from ignorance, attachment, anger, pride, jealousy, miserliness, doubt and wrong views. These eight disturbing thoughts that you have in your mind are the main dangers… This second word, tuttare, which liberates you from the eight fears, frees you from the true cause of suffering: karma and the all-arising disturbing thoughts.

The third word, ture, liberates you from disease. Now, of the Four Noble Truths, ture shows the cessation of suffering, which is the ultimate Dharma. In terms of liberating from disease, the actual disease we have is ignorance not knowing the absolute nature of the I, and all the disturbing thoughts that arise from this ignorance… By liberating us from disease, ture actually liberates us from the true cause, disturbing thoughts, and also the true sufferings.
The rough meaning of these three words tare tuttare ture is: `To you, embodiment of all the Buddhas’ actions, I prostrate always — whether I am in happy or unhappy circumstances — with my body, speech and mind.`

The final word soha means establishing the root of the path within your heart. In other words, by taking refuge in Tara and doing Tara practice, you receive the blessings of Tara in your own heart. This gives you space to establish the root of the path, signified by tare tuttare ture, in your heart. By establishing the path of the three capable beings within your heart, you purify all impurities of your body, speech and mind, and achieve Tara’s pure vajra holy body, holy speech and holy mind, which are signified by om. Your body, speech and mind are transformed into Tara’s holy body, holy speech and holy mind. This is the rough meaning of om tare tuttare ture soha."

Peace

• Skywatcher, Alder Logs, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#6 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

small_GEDC1279.jpg

I use runes and rune songs that I create.......very much the same as mantra......

And also natures sounds, birds, coyote's, water flowing from small babbling brooks to mighty waterfalls,, thunderstorms, wind through the tree's.....

I'm a bio data acquisition unit for the gods, a meat based radio of sorts for the spirit...........

I sing my rune songs and play my drum and flutes.....guitars, and whatever else is handy, quartz rocks in gourd or just in my hand......

We're not limited to anything or any one tradition at all IMHO.....the universe shows us that boundaries are artificial constructs and yet completely necessary......

To notice and also penetrate through and beyond.....

I'm a displaced indigenous European.....runes are written into my DNA and so I resonate with them very well......

A

• Skywatcher and Neptunechild like this

#7 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,245 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:26 AM

I find that "words", have energy for focusing intent for me, but to quiet my mind for deep state meditation, no mantra I speak will help me silence the stream of chatter from my own mind.

For this reason I built and "Tuned"my waterfall above my pond to resonate in a calming multi-note resonation. This will after many years of listening take me to that quiet, deep, state I desire very quickly. I also use singing bowls, but find natures music requires me to only listen, and from there i can turn off any words. This is where images, and communications from Animal Spirits, Entities, Fey and Elementals can be understood for me. I have to silence the constant nonsense that flows through my mind. 

I also use sound in the form of tonal humming, and louder single note throat resonation, for focusing Violet Flame Energy through me, and to set up a full body vibration that amplifies this cleansing and healing energy.

When you have empathic senses, it is not always clear what chatter, emotions, and physical sensations are yours, and what is from elsewhere. Daily meditations of descent into silence, and learning to place the "mirror", around me when I need to has helped me immensely with this.

Anything that helps you achieve a calmed and quiet state is a most valuable tool. Be it Mantra, or anything else that works. The sound of a bull roarer is an intense, powerful, vibration generator. It also in my experience creates vortex energy, which can be overwhelming if not expected................................

This is a good subject, educative. 

Edited by Skywatcher, 05 June 2017 - 05:45 PM.

• Arathu likes this

#8 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

"When you have empathic senses, it is not always clear what chatter, emotions, and physical sensations are yours, and what is from elsewhere. Daily meditations of descent into silence, and learning to place the "mirror", around me when I need to has helped me immensely with this."
Tell us more about the mirror you place around you? I could use that myself :)
Thanks,
Cuboid.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#9 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:31 PM

/Removed double posting/

Edited by Cuboid, 05 June 2017 - 04:35 PM.

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,521 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:44 PM

I find it strange that we might claim one thought or emotion and deny another.  We are not our thoughts or feelings, none of them.  We are what is aware of all of them that arise in awareness.  Hence, we are the awareness itself.   If we were to discern, we might see it is simply ego identification which says, "this thought is good and I will claim it," or, "that feeling is not me."  If as awareness we can see this pretension of an individual separate entity called, "Me," then can we not see that even that identification is not other than thought in itself.    And if we have seen this, isn't it time to concede that we are not any of our thoughts?  

So, what would true meditation be?   Perhaps it's being aware of all the thoughts and feelings that arise and not engaging.  Even if the ego/personality does its thing of engaging with what arises, is this not seen as well?  As awareness, even our conditioned reflexes are seen inside a quiet that is there in the midst of any noise.

Trying to still the thoughts of mind from the position of an identified person can be torturous.   Just the same, judging thoughts and feelings by some standard of who we believe ourselves to be has no peace in it.   Letting all that arises in conscious awareness, without personal charge or engagement, knowing we are not anything perceived, but the power behind perception itself, this is to find freedom and peace, meditation with no meditator.  

Monkey mind?  So what?

Stoopid_Monkey.jpg

Edited by Alder Logs, 05 June 2017 - 04:48 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#11 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 673 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:41 PM

Trying to still the thoughts of mind from the position of an identified person can be torturous.   Just the same, judging thoughts and feelings by some standard of who we believe ourselves to be has no peace in it.   Letting all that arises in conscious awareness, without personal charge or engagement, knowing we are not anything perceived, but the power behind perception itself, this is to find freedom and peace, meditation with no meditator.

I think the first time that I read the word "meditation" was at the age of 13, 14 or whatsoever at history class and I skipped it because I simply did not understand what's it all about at sitting in the lotus position and trying to "shut up" entirley. Although I must also admit that our teacher sucked ass and I was in the middle of pubertiy and didn't care about anything I got thought at school anyway. But still, it stayed somewhat inside me..the fact that some people in this world, try to find peace or rest just by letting their thoughts "vanish". That was what I understood under meditation back then.

When I reached the age of 18, 19 and started to take psychedelics, I of course started to hear stuff like "buddhism", "meditation", "shiva", "om" etc. a lot more, especially because I was getting into the Goa-Psytrance scene at that time...so it was present everywhere...in the music, in the people, in the colourful decorations at the parties, the CD-Covers etc. When I first started to trip, it was just for the fun. Lsd, shroom, salvia etc..only for fun, for seeing joyfull colours and perceive the world from a different perspective. With time I started to read into Psychedelics and found a new understanding in it when I took my first heroic dose of Shrooms (6.5g Cubes) alone at home and without music or anyone else to distract me from myself.

This was the first trip that I had were being in nothingness became real. Altough my ego was melting away at one point, at the very peak, the time before that and after that was way more interesting for me. Because my emotions and my judging brain started to become numb before the peak. I did not care anymore about the confusion in my brain or the crazy fractals that lightend up the pitchblack darkness I was in. I just, let it happen. For the first time in my life, I was able to let stuff just happen. For whatever reason they were happening, or had to happen. And it was. It was neither good or bad, it just was.

At the peak of that very trip I lost the abilty to concentrate. I could not focus anymore in my brain. There was no I, there was nothing outside of me and nothing inside of me. I felt a singularity because I was just pure conciousnes that was receiving all the information in the universe and I let it flow through me. The bastion of stars that emerged inside me, behind my closed eyes were the first sigh for me that I'm coming back into my body. I was not solely conciousness anymore, I was the observer. And I started to observe, I found beauty. And as I found beauty, I found joy. And with joy, I was back in my body. I was able to concentrate again, to think and solve questions inside me. But I also was able to judge again. "This world is so fucked. We are so fucked. What the fuck are we doing?". This was also the moment I lost the feeling of being in an singularity or being part of something much bigger than myself. I was a human again. Trying to understand, trying to figure out.

This was the first time that I felt a meditative state in my life. I reached this point of "singularity" dozens of times after that trip again and especially after my first DMT trip, I learned to get into this state much faster than before; because I've learned to let go and just let stuff happen.

In my time in asia where I wanted to learn and understand the process of meditation with a sober mind, it was noting but a horrible experience for me at the beginning.
I could not understand how I as a human being, can be able to shut down my ego. To shut down the judgement that's just here, without me wanting it, or not wanting it. It's just present. I see, I feel, I think, I make decisions. Everytime I wanted to meditate it felt like a battle against myself. "Why the hell should I even want to sit down for hours and let everything pass through me?" I first had to find an answer to this question before I could do anything.

I was about 23 years old at this point, so it's actually not so long ago, only about 5 years. I felt like I'm this lost little Shaman born at the wrong place of the earth, not having the possiblity or opurtunity to change the world and influence the people around me the way I wanted to. Haha, sounds very naive when I reflect back, but I seriously thought it's my duty to change the people, because most of the poeple are too fucking stupid to understand the lie they are living. Buying into all this bullshit..the media, the governments, the propaganda, the enslaving machine. So if I can not change the world around me, why should I care about it? Everything I see and hear is just awareness, of every single moment that's happening, when it's happening. And every individual has it's own awareness and conciousness. I thought that if everyone would become a buddhist, the world would be a great place. I thought that if everyone on this planet would eat LSD at the same time, we could change the world to a better place. But that's not true, that's just the product of everything I witnessed so far and was aware of.

The older I get, the less I care. Now nearly 6 years after my asia-trip, I found my own truth behind meditation.
I used mantras before to remember who I am. To not forget where I came from and where my life may led me to. To stay focused while I was trying to fall into trance like situation. But meanwhile, after 100+ DMT trips, I learned that for me personally, true meditation, true singularity can only come in or after that moment where you let everyting go. The more I tried to meditate, the worst it got. The more I tried to fall into deep inner peace, the harder the battle was. The more I loved, the more I suffered. The more I tried to understand, the more confusing the entire world got. But when I let go and let things happen for whatever reason they are happening, I feel calm. It's the absence of any judgment and comment, that makes me feel really free.

Maybe one day, I can do this without the help of psychedelics.
I had succssess 2 times without, that was while I was part in two sweat lodge ceremonies.
Even if it was hot as hell and very crowded inside, I have never felt so chill and alone ever again in my life.
Except for that one A. Muscaria trip....

Peace

• Skywatcher and sparrow95 like this

#12 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,245 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:20 PM

"When you have empathic senses, it is not always clear what chatter, emotions, and physical sensations are yours, and what is from elsewhere. Daily meditations of descent into silence, and learning to place the "mirror", around me when I need to has helped me immensely with this."
Tell us more about the mirror you place around you? I could use that myself :)
Thanks,
Cuboid.

The "mirror" is kind of off subject. I have no objection to talking about it, but it involves a lot of personal life accumulations, and would be out of place here. Please PM me...............................

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!