• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 darkshogun

darkshogun

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

Ok this is embarrassing, but after tripping on PE every other day I got overly paranoid, became concerned, read too much into the remarks and behavior of the people around me, and destroyed everything - agar, prints, shrooms, supplies. I guess this is a testament to the power of this strain. But it's better to be safe than sorry. I will resume my studies in 3 weeks time. :tinfoil:

PS: Am I correct in assuming I can shoot spores from a syringe directly onto an agar plate and get mycelium?

I don't even know how to address that first part..

If you're going from syringe to agar, just a drop, it's not the easiest thing to get a drop out. One can also cut a lil divot in the agar and try to put the drop in the divot.

If you do "squirt too much", try swirling it around the surface of the agar IMHO

I have a volatile girlfriend who can't keep a secret, and if she found out about my shrooms she might get me in trouble. I wasn't willing to take that risk. Although I'm not happy my shrooms are gone, I thought it prudent to take the extra precaution. I was getting lax in my 'security measures' and keeping my fruiting chambers in a closet under a blanket where they could be found. I'm going to be more careful in the future, lol.

Sounds like cutting a divot would be best for PE, since the PE spore syringes contain far less spores than a regular cubensis syringe.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#42 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

Fabric of Time and Dimension

• Gold VIP
  • 590 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:47 PM

Ok this is embarrassing, but after tripping on PE every other day I got overly paranoid, became concerned, read too much into the remarks and behavior of the people around me, and destroyed everything - agar, prints, shrooms, supplies. I guess this is a testament to the power of this strain. But it's better to be safe than sorry. I will resume my studies in 3 weeks time. :tinfoil:

PS: Am I correct in assuming I can shoot spores from a syringe directly onto an agar plate and get mycelium?

If you're going from syringe to agar, just a drop, it's not the easiest thing to get a drop out. One can also cut a lil divot in the agar and try to put the drop in the divot.

If you do "squirt too much", try swirling it around the surface of the agar IMHO
Yep I always try to put just a drop and carefully squirt all over. Dry spores on agar have been easier to control. I have tried dry spores on warm molten agar where wanting hydration and tidyness.

That said swirling the splat round like cat-san suggests has worked fine so far.
  • darkshogun and CatsAndBats like this

#43 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,207 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

Ok this is embarrassing, but after tripping on PE every other day I got overly paranoid, became concerned, read too much into the remarks and behavior of the people around me, and destroyed everything - agar, prints, shrooms, supplies. I guess this is a testament to the power of this strain. But it's better to be safe than sorry. I will resume my studies in 3 weeks time. :tinfoil:

PS: Am I correct in assuming I can shoot spores from a syringe directly onto an agar plate and get mycelium?

I have a volatile girlfriend who can't keep a secret, and if she found out about my shrooms she might get me in trouble. I wasn't willing to take that risk. Although I'm not happy my shrooms are gone, I thought it prudent to take the extra precaution. I was getting lax in my 'security measures' and keeping my fruiting chambers in a closet under a blanket where they could be found. I'm going to be more careful in the future, lol.

Sounds like cutting a divot would be best for PE, since the PE spore syringes contain far less spores than a regular cubensis syringe.

Shoulda tossed the girl..    ;)

• darkshogun, tailsmcsnails and Cuboid like this

#44 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,456 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:05 PM

Holy shit! First you probably should back off the trip frequency just a bit..........IMHO 

I'm WAY far away from being a preacher or any kind of saint what so ever...............and I'm not telling you what to do.......... I don't think I'd toss the girl either but that ain't my call......

I've had my share of bonfires............... :biggrin:

Good vibes to you friend...............

@ Cat..............hahahahahahaha..."I don't even know how to respond" Hahahahahahaha....god damn!

This place is beautiful!

A

• Heirloom , darkshogun, CatsAndBats and 1 other like this

#45 RedQueen222

RedQueen222

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:30 PM

I love this. Agar work yum. I sold my flow hood .

#46 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,207 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:30 PM

If you saw my SAB, you'd laugh.  :tongue:

#47 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,456 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:04 PM

Anyone that laughs at what you do and how you do it is a DAMNED FOOL............IMHO

#48 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,207 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:05 AM

Anyone that laughs at what you do and how you do it is a DAMNED FOOL............IMHO

Oh you!  You prolly say that to all the fellas!    ;)

thanks!

Edited by CatsAndBats, 22 June 2017 - 07:06 AM.

#49 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:47 AM

Lots of good info here and another great agar thread.

Not much more I can add that brother microbe hasn't already touched on.

To answer your question, shogun:

You just want to place the tissue very gently on top of the agar surface. I recommend to just nudge the tissue on the edge of the blade, not stabbing it, when transferring to agar. Then with very deliberate motions, open the Petri just enough to get the tool in, make contact with the surface ever so gently and with a circular slight twisting motion of the tool, the sample will easily fall off. My lids are only off a second or less for each transfer like this.

Then just let her go and transfer away from any contamination, if they are present after colonization begins. I would also recommend transferring at least 1-3 times even if it appears clean. This will be just a precaution in case you may have some comtam hitching a ride.

Good luck and I promise once you see how easy and effective agar is, you will kick yourself for not starting earlier lol.

Good vibes.

glad I found this thread! a few years old but I am just getting into agar too! Peacefrom can you elaborate on the effectiveness your referencing? Is it just increasing yields/ flushes? Heres a few more questions I have..

1. Does it matter what flush the clone comes from? Obviously bigger fruits on the later flushes but same genetics as before?

2. Can you explain the idea of using a MS to start LC and then from there nocing up a jar of grain. Are there multiple "organisms" or "genes" colonizing in the same jar? Is that what we are ultimately trying to isolate to be able to have just one per jar/sub? Does this have significant effect on yields mostly? Im sure my terminology is off but trying to wrap my head around the why before I move on to this.

Thanks!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!