• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 pcubie58

pcubie58

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:33 AM

I'm just now getting around to mixing up a batch of colonized castings (10 days of ignoring them) with some straw and as I remove the lid I notice shrooms all over the place. A few already show signs of monsters-to-be. Do I have to pick them all off before mixing with the straw? There's also a ton of smaller ones just coming to life.
I had no idea I'd get fruits on castings alone after such a short time.

#42 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 08:26 AM

i'd say it's a bit too late to add the straw now,
enjoy your flush.

#43 pcubie58

pcubie58

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 08:55 AM

Thanks Hippie, I most certainly will. The only real downfall to this experience is the fact that the sides of the container weren't taped and so I've got as many growing there as I do on the surface. Oh well...when your dog has 13 puppies, you have a tendency to let other things slide.

#44 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 08:56 AM

i know that's right,
one of my dogs once had 18...

#45 pcubie58

pcubie58

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

dancers.jpg

children.jpg

family.jpg

harvest.jpg

Did you get a hold of Guiness? What kind of dog? Mine's Standard Poodles. I do know it requires human intervention to keep 1/2 from dying. Anyway, here's some pics of one of the best flushes I ever had, considering I put no extra effort into this one...and it was on castings alone. Now that I've harvested, I'm going to try crumbling this up and mixing with straw for some badly needed moisture.
Can't wait for the next arrivals:cacti:

#46 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:45 PM

she was a doberman,
and half did die.

nice flush
what strain ?

#47 pcubie58

pcubie58

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:46 PM

Dobermans are wonderful. I'm a real canine person.

Just finished combining the castings with straw and sticking the container under a blanket.

These are PR's from a clone (Karo) out of a horrible flush I had a couple of months ago. It was the only decent shroom of the bunch and only 1/4 the size of some of these. I haven't had much luck lately with anything I attempt, so this was such a surprise because I was in the middle of the process (incubating) when it came to fruition, so to speak:) I still can't get over the short time it took for them to pop up. I was anticipating a 2 week wait for full colonization and then....:cool: except it put a damper on my original intentions.

They're under the fan as we write. I'll get a gram total in a few days after the dessicant does it's thing.
Namaste to you too.

#48 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:11 PM

so, mixing the flushed worm poop with straw hmmmm kinda like a bulk rez-tek! me likes!
watch contamination, pcubie ..it has a better chance of taking hold from here on-out,
due to less vigourous mycelium...such as what becomes of a colony post-flushing ..
some 'umphh' drops off after the 1st flush.

The only real downfall to this experience is the fact that the sides of the container weren't taped and so I've got as many growing there as I do on the surface

make sure to harvest these with the rest of the flush :)
if they are left under the substrate (or even above [think;aborts]) they will rot

These are PR's from a clone (Karo) out of a horrible flush I had a couple of months ago. It was the only decent shroom of the bunch and only 1/4 the size of some of these. I haven't had much luck lately with anything I attempt

PR's can be a picky strain,i hear--i havent tried them but this is what ive always read
try a south american variety! i hear cambo. is a nice easy grow, as well--& bigguns!
:D

this was such a surprise because I was in the middle of the process (incubating) when it came to fruition, so to speak I still can't get over the short time it took for them to pop up. I was anticipating a 2 week wait for full colonization and then.... except it put a damper on my original intentions.

hmmm reckon you were exposing to light..?
to prevent pinning (or try to) keep incubatin projects away from any light

i am in the process of making up a order for vermicompost from an online supplier
recently ive read multiple reports here that worm castings do not fully colonize
this may be due to bad quality (ie: twigs, dirt, rocks, etc in the bag of castings)
but before i order i am going to ask them what they feed the worms.:crazy1:
maybe we can pin point the reason if we know what different brands use as wormfood
and compare results with each make of worm castings in a sloppy 'experiment'
then we could just say go to xxx.com and order castings from them b/c it works best
...or something like that :D:p at least we'd know more :)

1 last question for ya pcubie :) - did you case them?
casing is a great way to lock-in moisture and co2, which encourages pin formation
the casing could be any number of things (many TEKS in the archives)
a common casing is peat moss and limestone,
another is cactus soil or potting soil cut 50/50 with vermiculite,
some use straight potting soil, some use straight vermiculite..etc etc etc
something to look into for next time :)

i really love this vvvvvvvvv pic :) very cool
http://mycotopia.net...69&d=1146698546

be well

#49 youphoric

youphoric

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:54 PM

ok so it's OT but let's see some puppy pics!

YAY PUPPIES!!!

#50 phishinphree

phishinphree

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:43 PM

Worm castings are easier for me to get and prep than cow/horse poo. From what I've read, poo is poo is poo. I just wanted to check w/ the community as I plan to follow this tek http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=10590 but with worm castings instead. Any comments/suggestions are very welcome as this will be my first venture into the wide world of bulk substrate.

Also, should the worm castings be lightened up with a little coir? I really don't know how the density of castings compairs to that of farm animal poo. Many thanks for your input :-)

#51 funguy242

funguy242

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:51 PM

Worm casrings are an excellent addition to a casing/spawn and I highly recommend them! Although I don't know it to be an absolute fact I do not think worm castings on their own would be nutritious enough to be used as spawn. Maybe try it as a side project to see what happens? Experimentation yields Innovation.

#52 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• Validating
  • 8,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:17 PM

Worm castings make a GREAT poo source. Here's another bag thread, kind of a variance on the one you posted:

http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=11576

I would suggest using something like coir, peat or verm to fluff the castings. If you get the moisture off by even a little, plain castings will clump and/or turn to mud very easily (very bad for growth).

Specific suggestion with castings: add water SLOWLY and stir/squeeze a bunch before deciding to add more. Hydrate castings seperately from everything else. Just a little too much water will wreck castings. They should still be very fluffy when wetted, not like mud/batter at all (check the pics in the above mentioned thread).

#53 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:18 PM

castings are plenty nutritious enough to be decent bulk substrate

#54 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,035 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:50 PM

You can always add a little dry worm castings to even out the wet if you have too much water. (a little mud never hurt mines though...)
The best(clean) way to pasteruize worm castings is to add them to a qt jar, fill with some water (i just eye ball it, when i see some of the moisture hit the bottom of the jar I'm good.... you can see the wet/dry) then i lid them (lid's have 1 hold in the middle, usually the jars i use for innoc's without the polyfil) and put 7 of them in my PC.... fill with water (3/4 up to the jar) then turn on, when the water starts to 'boil' or simmer cut it off, and put on the PC lid... let cool over night, if you don't use the next day, put duct tape on the hole, that'll keep them good for at least a week... if not longer.
The used jars get filled back up with more worm castings for the next round, never wash'em.

#55 phishinphree

phishinphree

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:08 PM

Wow, thanks for the info everyone. I searched a bit for worm castings but never turned up your tek buckaroo. Thankyou for the extremely detailed discription of field capacity. I've found that to be one of the hardest things to get a feel for but your post illistrates it very well.
I'm thinking more of some WBS spawned to 50/50 castings/straw and just letting fruit in the bags with a poly-plug top. Simple, cheap, effective and to quote my favorate ron popelle onair personality, "just set it and forget it".

Edit: I ment to ask. Can castings be pasturized in a pillowcase or does it loose too many nutes to the water?

#56 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:44 AM

I would not dunk a pillowcase of castings as it will turn to mud+ your nutes will drain out...I prefer either a ziplock dropped into a heated pot o' water
or oven pasteurized in a pot with lid...Premix and hydrate everything first so it's ready to spawn on cooling....

#57 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• Validating
  • 8,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:04 AM

My FOAF has had good results with completely sterilized castings (not other dungs, not straw, but castings seem to do okay). Pasteurizing is a safer way to go, though.

#58 robot

robot

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:11 PM

hello all. this will be foafs first bulk attempt. hes tried casing grain only one other time with poor results. lots of aborts and small fruits.

size of avarage fruit.
i think the size and amount of fruits is due to not being waterd well enough up to the point of pinning., but im not sure.

well time to give it another try.

foaf decided to try again at casing rey grain. this picture is his second attempt with straight grain cased with 50/50 verm/coir with lime added

looks like things are going alot better than the first attempt.

foaf got some worm shit to see if it would do any better than rey alone. castings were microwaved for 10 minutes to sterilize and mixed with some verm and a little bit of coir. pics are about 3 days into incubation

in pic 1 the poo and spawn are layerd, in pic 2 the poo and span are mixed up a bit. the mycelium seems to be recovering pretty slow in the mixed container .
i will keep you posted. any input or advice would be great

#59 robot

robot

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:38 PM

forgot to add that the first attempt was made with hillbilly strain. 3 trays of grain were made up as well as a dozen brf jars. fruits from the grain trays were about the same size as the cakes. although the cakes were covered with mushrooms making up forlack of size

#60 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:25 AM

Looks nice. Do you have any questions?

There really should not be much need to directly mist the casing layer if the moisture content was appropriate from the begginning and the humidity in the fruiting chamber was kept at the optimum range (92-95%).

Cloning a fruit will greatly increase your pinset.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!