3 replies to this topic

#1 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:11 PM

Hi all,
I'm bothered that my grain isn't getting enough moisture into it. I'm using popcorn kernals and trying to get them to absorb their own weight in water so as end up with 50% moisture content - which seems to be a rule of thumb level from Stamets GGMM.
So, for instance, I've just cold soaked 500g of 'corn in 500ml of water for 48hrs and now drained it catching the run off in a measuring jug. My 'corn has absorbed approx. 200ml of water. The other 300ml is in the measuring jug.
My corn, therefore, is currently at:-
200/(500+200) * 100% = 28% moisture content.
Should I put the 300ml of water back in with the corn, PC it and hope it absorbs it all? I can't imagine it will though ...

Any advice please ? :)

Kind regards,
Cuboid.

#2 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:08 PM

I found this:-
https://mycotopia.ne...pawn-pictorial/

Trying to follow the simmer until just right method :)

#3 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:25 PM

Okey dokey, my 500g of 'corn has now taken on about 350g of water so I'm at about 41% moisture content. The kernels are soft enough to squash between your finger tips, centre not dry, a few have split. If I keep on simmering to get to 50% moisture I am pretty sure it'll be too squashy and wet and lots of kernels would burst.
I'm going with this, into jars with modded lids, into the PC.

EDIT: Typo.

Edited by Cuboid, 19 June 2017 - 05:55 PM.

• Arathu and wharfrat like this

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,020 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:48 PM

sounds like you got it  :biggrin:  that would have been my suggestion, is a pre soak them simmer till perfect

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!