Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

VIP Membership. What to know with Mycotopia without PayPal.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 595 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2020 - 11:23 AM

I cannot find information that shows the details/requirements for each category of VIP, Gold VIP, Black VIP.

Can you point me in the right direction or list those criteria here?

#22 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,492 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:36 PM

I was just reading this thread and noticed that it does not look or behave like other threads.

When I hover over member's names there's no box that appears with info and links to their profile or content. This box that I'm currently typing this into appears with a blue border and no editing options, plus the text appears in large-font and bold and occasionally it takes ~5 seconds between typing some letters and seeing them appear on screen.

After clicking "more reply options" it took me to what's supposed to be the full HTML editor but there are still no editing buttons appearing.

Is this because it's in a subforum set up differently than the others? Or am I the only one seeing this? Or is it something else?

In any case it's very strange.

Edited by TVCasualty, 07 August 2020 - 12:37 PM.

#23 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,492 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:56 PM

I was just reading this thread and noticed that it does not look or behave like other threads.

When I hover over member's names there's no box that appears with info and links to their profile or content. This box that I'm currently typing this into appears with a blue border and no editing options, plus the text appears in large-font and bold and occasionally it takes ~5 seconds between typing some letters and seeing them appear on screen.

After clicking "more reply options" it took me to what's supposed to be the full HTML editor but there are still no editing buttons appearing.

Is this because it's in a subforum set up differently than the others? Or am I the only one seeing this? Or is it something else?

In any case it's very strange.

I posted a thread in Testing and Formatting to explore this and it appears to be caused by a corrupted tab. Anything I looked at in that tab was messed up and only closing it and opening the thread in a new tab fixed it.

So it looks like the problem was on my end. Still weird, though.

I guess this and my previous reply can be deleted, though I'd still like to know WTF happened since the site has never acted like that before.

#24 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,386 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:58 PM

I cannot find information that shows the details/requirements for each category of VIP, Gold VIP, Black VIP.

Can you point me in the right direction or list those criteria here?

Currently all the packages are the same, meaning they have all been combined and have the same benefits as Black when we had the automated storefront. Before each level had different lengths of time before they expired or needed renewal. Also the different packages gave you more features in chat depending on what package was selected. Out of simplicity they have all been merged as one, mostly due the fact that I don't have the time to set the permissions on an individual basis nor want to keep track of when the last time someone made a donation.

The different levels are more a status or a badge right now, that may indicate to others your level of commitment. An average donation gets a standard VIP badge, Someone that contributes a little more generously gets the Gold badge. Very generous donors and monthly contributors get Black, with the exception of the ones that request to keep their OG VIP badge.

I'm glad you asked this as maybe having this info here, it will save me a lot of time explaining it repeatedly in PM.

Edited by coorsmikey, 07 August 2020 - 02:21 PM.

• ElPirana likes this

#25 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 595 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:29 PM

I couldn’t tell it’s any different, probably because I’m using my phone.

I guess my basic question could be stated: what are the donation requirements to achieve each VIP level? Are the requirements all based on annual donation timeframes?

If someone simply wants the ability to use chat, or access to the VIP market, how do they know what are the standard requirements? I looked around a bit, I saw lots of posts but I must have missed the one that shows this info.

#26 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 595 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:32 PM

Sorry Coorsmikey, I didn’t see your reply before I posted again. Yes, hopefully you don’t get bombarded with questions, there are probably a million other things to do. I appreciate your response!

#27 JustinLokey

JustinLokey

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:45 AM

Wow.    Just   Wow.    

I read through this   Donation  help topic and  I am more confused now than I was when I started reading.     I do use PayPal, however   I do transactions that   PayPal   is biased  about.   and don't buy 

illegal goods, however I do buy  region or state specific   goods.   Paypal don't get involved in   individual state opinions, they say   NO to everything.    Then  I said why not  just use google pay or

amazon pay,   I don't know,  there is still some kind of deep rooted secret about telling  the "world" who I am?      

Then we start the discussion on  'no replies, or  days and days without replies"    If it is  donations that keep the site powered and  payed for,  why would it be so hard to get a reply

and  an easy  solution to donate?       I won't be using my  bank account  debit card apparently.   So i guess   when and  I mean when I figure this out,  I would buy a  unmarked  Visa  Cash card

and use that number.    Then we come back to   Where would I even  go on  mycotopia  community  to  donate my card  number.     See what I mean.     The economy the last time I checked

was the DJI  was at 28000,  and this is  August  NOT   March.    

HELP>

JL

#28 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,386 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2020 - 10:20 AM

Gone are the days of having a storefront and a pay now button to donate. Sorry it is so confusing too! Believe me when I say its definitely not any easier being on this end of obscurity and confusion. My work would be much easier and better spent on organizing and posting. I would much rather be posting and growing then screening new individuals and being paranoid about having our accounts closed again. The idea of a prepaid Visa is kind of a moot point seeing that like you mentioned there is no place to enter that information. I think being a new comer, it may be hard to understand that currently Mycotopia is not a profitable public business. Somehow we have managed to stay online for 2 decades now with the support from our members and often out of our own pockets.
There is really no need to lose any sleep over it, the VIP packages have all been combined into one. Its really only a status or a badge to show to others that one has helped to support the site. The different levels or colors of VIP now get you the same benefits with the exception being the Black or Gold implies that you donated more than an average donation. Any level will get you access to "One" additional forum and chat. So that probably isn't much of an upgrade worth all the trouble and waiting unless your intent is to actual help keep the lights on over getting access to the "Market Place" forum which is not as active as some imagine.
Believe it or not sometimes when a member that upgrades, they suddenly they act if they own the place and the rules don't apply to them anymore. Its not often but it does happen. That puts us in a tough situation as how do you boot someone that has just helped pay the bills. Oh and it's two way street on a level of trust. I have to trust you with our payment details and you have to trust us to keep your secure information secure. We are still bound by PCI laws but the donor can do what they want with our payment details and hopefully they don't bring any unwanted attention to both parties by doing a chargeback. Just as you worry about your identity being tied with such content ( in which we always ask donors to not mention Mycotopia in any reference, and there is actually no tie to the site) currently we don't want to risk being screwed over by someone "Anonymous" as well. Just like I wouldn't give someone my personal address to accept a money order either, unless there was some sort of trust established.
Most often then not, even though I am a lil slow on replying to private messages, If someone new that hasn't established a reputation yet sends me a message about about upgrading, I does take a bit to respond. I want to see how they interact with the community and learn their intent on upgrading. I also want to give them a chance to see the cookie crumb trail that we have behind for serious inquiries. If its gonna be more of a hassle than it already is, or if I sense that there is going to be an above average sense of entitlement, then its probably better to pass on the offer for the sake of the community. Sometimes if I can’t call the intent I will just upgrade that person and hope it turns out well. Usually it does.
But really if its that much of a pain in the butt, then don't worry about it. I totally understand how things have made it so difficult for us to operate in this obscure manner. There is no obligation, just kick your shoes off, have a look around and enjoy yourself. And to be completely up front, Prepaid Visas have to be manually entered which has higher fees and is more riskier for us, and a lot of time the person that sends it doesn't know the zip code that is associated with that particular one.

Edited by coorsmikey, 30 August 2020 - 05:27 PM.

• Skywatcher, Mycol, JustinLokey and 1 other like this

#29 JustinLokey

JustinLokey

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 11:17 AM

thank you coorsmikey   :biggrin:

I will just  take my chill pill and  "Roll Tide"    I can find plenty to do with out stessing over the tidbits.

You already offer such wonderful content to free users.  Some folks do not use common sense , so

yes  I understand.  

JL

• coorsmikey likes this

#30 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,386 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2020 - 11:24 AM

thank you coorsmikey   :biggrin:

I will just  take my chill pill and  "Roll Tide"    I can find plenty to do with out stessing over the tidbits.

You already offer such wonderful content to free users.  Some folks do not use common sense , so

yes  I understand.  

JL

It's all good! I've meaning to explain some that for sometime just to help some of the questions. Not like it makes it any more simpler. Thank you for the interest!

#31 NardDogOverdrive

NardDogOverdrive

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 11:56 AM

It's all good! I've meaning to explain some that for sometime just to help some of the questions. Not like it makes it any more simpler. Thank you for the interest!

I know there have been talks of bitcoin and other crypto in the past but I am not sure what the current status is on that?  Can it be used to make donations?  If not what are the hurdles?  Implementation?  No love?  Not being able to easily use it to pay the bills? 

And second can we snail mail cash?  Snail mail gift cards?  Prepaids?

Thanks for everything @coorsmikey!

#32 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,386 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2020 - 12:27 PM

There is a wallet for bitcoin. Have had a few donate that way and everything that has been collected is still In that wallet. I suppose when it comes time we will have to move it to an exchange and covert it to something that will pay the bills. It's been mostly people wanting to clean out a small amount from their wallet. But yes, it can be used to donate and of course I would share the wallet privately.

The problem  with snail mail is the accountability of the funds, I have no way to show that it was received and where it was applied too. Also there is the issue of providing an address to someone we barely know. (Staff are members too) However in some situations we will make an exception that is for someone that technology challenged or a well established and reputable member. As mentioned above, Prepaids just plain suck. They have too many fees associated with using them, don't work and often have to wonder if there were obtained in an ethical manner. There is just a lot of risk with prepaid. 

Folks that do donate will say its quite simple once you get past the obscurity laid out here. It's just not gonna get posted in the open to be available on search engines. I think in the long run that all parties appreciate the level of discreetness. I'm sure we loose good opportunities for some donations in the process but that's better than loosing all possibilities all together. The average person with ill intent will not go through such lengths to do something that lacks integrity so in a since this way actually helps us to connect with the people with good intent. Much like our 3 posts to become an unrestricted member helps keep the boards spam free.

Edited by coorsmikey, 30 August 2020 - 12:31 PM.

• clumsy, NardDogOverdrive and JustinLokey like this

#33 NardDogOverdrive

NardDogOverdrive

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 02:35 PM

There is a wallet for bitcoin. Have had a few donate that way and everything that has been collected is still In that wallet. I suppose when it comes time we will have to move it to an exchange and covert it to something that will pay the bills. It's been mostly people wanting to clean out a small amount from their wallet. But yes, it can be used to donate and of course I would share the wallet privately.

The problem  with snail mail is the accountability of the funds, I have no way to show that it was received and where it was applied too. Also there is the issue of providing an address to someone we barely know. (Staff are members too) However in some situations we will make an exception that is for someone that technology challenged or a well established and reputable member. As mentioned above, Prepaids just plain suck. They have too many fees associated with using them, don't work and often have to wonder if there were obtained in an ethical manner. There is just a lot of risk with prepaid. 

Folks that do donate will say its quite simple once you get past the obscurity laid out here. It's just not gonna get posted in the open to be available on search engines. I think in the long run that all parties appreciate the level of discreetness. I'm sure we loose good opportunities for some donations in the process but that's better than loosing all possibilities all together. The average person with ill intent will not go through such lengths to do something that lacks integrity so in a since this way actually helps us to connect with the people with good intent. Much like our 3 posts to become an unrestricted member helps keep the boards spam free.

It all makes perfect sense now.  Once I have more rep I'll hit you up for your bitcoin address.

• coorsmikey likes this

#34 Yoyos

Yoyos

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 11:11 PM

Hey coorsmikey, this might be a silly question but have you considered a platform like GoFundMe for receiving donations? They seem to have a lot of fundraising options that would seem applicable for this community (non-profit, community, education, medical, even a specific charity arm...).  It looks like their legal team is pretty tight and it provides security coverage for all parties.  Just throwing it out there... not sure what things look like on the admin side of things but might be worth a gander if not explored already?

Cheers,

Yoyos

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!