• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 WillDerback

WillDerback

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:26 PM

Hello everyone.  Long time listener, first time caller.  So, I inoculated Blue Oyster in WB sterilized quart jars and after 5 days had this growth, which seems to resemble what many people call Cobweb Mold.  

Blue Oyster Mycelium 1.jpeg

Anyhow, I kept reading around, looking at what people say "healthy mycelium" looks like.  Mostly it was a thick white, and no images of the first, second and third day of colonization.  Well, I figured I'd just roll with it and see what happens.  After all the jars were covered in a light blanket of this weblike stuff I shook up the bottles.  4 days later they look like this:

Blue Oyster Mycelium.jpeg

So, I am just trying to understand whether or not both pictures are mycelium, just at different stages of growth, and why it seems that I have put hours and hours of time into internet searches and not just asked the wise folks here.  Anyhow, any ideas would be appreciated.

By the way, I also have a batch of Pink Oysters that I did on a subsequent day that are doing the same spider web looking thing as well as some Lion's Mane that after 4 days has started to get the same spider web stuff.  If I'm screwing up, at least I'm consistent.

Thanks!

• Myc, bozefonce, Arathu and 1 other like this

#2 WillDerback

WillDerback

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:51 PM

I'm new to forums, but realize I didn't put enough info in my post.

WB soaked 24 hours, PC in quart jars for 75 minutes at 15psi.  Cooled 12 hours.  2cc syringe injection for each jar.  Jars are in my basement, which is 78-81 degrees F, 55% humidity.  minimal light.  

#3 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,521 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:12 PM

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Those jars look great.

Said another way:

If you want to see healthy oyster mycelium - look at the above photos. 

Edited by Myc, 12 July 2017 - 05:13 PM.

• Sidestreet, coorsmikey and WillDerback like this

#4 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

You might need to expand it a few times before it fully adapts to grain, quite normal. Looks normal to me too!

• WillDerback likes this

#5 WillDerback

WillDerback

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:43 PM

I need to read up on expanding it to grain.  So once I do G2G it should expand quicker since the mycelium are formed, but also they will adapt to their food source and should grow without the initial "web" look to them?  Sorry if that's an ignorant question.  

#6 WillDerback

WillDerback

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:53 PM

on another note, is there a "sticky" or FAQ that has a bunch of pictures of different stages of growth so dummies like me can check out and not have to ask questions?  I'd be happy to provide photos after every grow of the different mycelium growth stages of different varieties so people can have the resource at hand.

#7 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,521 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:19 PM

You might try several things:

Use the search bar on the site. Top, right-hand corner. There is a magnifying glass icon next to the text window.

I'm being specific because you can search different areas by choosing a different option from the drop-down menu. That way you can search active forums or the gallery. ( I did this already and the results weren't abundant. )

You might also visit the Archives.  I hyperlinked some search results. You may find a few pearls among them. 

Another good trick is to type "mycotopia.net, (insert keywords here)" - Keywords such as pleuroteus ostreatus, oysters, etc. Your favorite search engine may bring back some results that the on-board search tool can't locate. 

Happy hunting!

• Sidestreet and WillDerback like this

#8 WillDerback

WillDerback

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:35 PM

Thank for the help and guidance. 

#9 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:35 PM

Welcome to Topia Will................holy shit those look beautiful...........after you do a G2G and put that to a substrate ultimately for fruiting you're gonna need a big appetite............  :biggrin: 

Nice job! Are you sure you're a dummy? I don't think so man...........

A

• WillDerback likes this

#10 WillDerback

WillDerback

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

Just an update on my blue oyster grow.  After 12 days and a full shake up of my jars I've decided to do a G2G for a jar and a grow using 3 of my quart jars.  Below are photos of the jars.  One is the G2G (which has been the most aggressive grower), two are grow jars.  The detailed photo is the G2G donor.  Mycelium was broken up yesterday, and this is how it looks recovered.  

Blue 3.jpeg

Blue 4.jpeg

Right now I have just been getting started learning about the processes.  I'll be using a glove box to do the G2G.  The medium in the spawn jars that will be receiving the G2G transfer is WBS, Sterilized for 75 minutes at 15 psi.  It is millet based, and has been soaking for 24 hours.  

Since I have yet to grow a mushroom, ever, not counting a premade kit, I'm either going to start with a clear 20 gallon plastic bin with the substrate divided between a couple of 8x10 bins, using a Verm casing on top.  Temperature is 80 degrees F and humidity in the room is at 60, so keeping it moist in there should provide good fruiting environment.  

Wish me luck.   And, if you see something I'm missing, please don't be shy.  

Thanks

• Ferather likes this

#11 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 962 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:36 AM

Good luck, looks like its ready to burst out.

• WillDerback likes this

#12 WillDerback

WillDerback

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:03 PM

Thanks Ferather.  I've got over 40 spawn jars going and haven't even tried to grow a single mushroom.  I need all the good vibes I can get right now.

#13 WillDerback

WillDerback

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:01 PM

I figured I'd post an update on the blue oyster project in case people wanted some visuals associated with some different steps of the grow process.  I'm attaching 3 photos.  2 photos show the tub that I started 36 hours ago.  I used 3 qts of spawn and 1" thick layer of wet verm.  I'm not sure how long this usually takes, but I'm optimistic.  

Tub.jpg

Tub1.jpg

The 3rd photograph shows my WBS spawn jars after 24 hours of doing a grain to grain transfer.  Already signs of growth.  I used 1 jar of colonized WB spawn for 7 jars of WBS.  I plan on doing two more of these this week to increase my number to 21 and get the mycelium used to the grain.  Then, I'll do G2G again to try to get about 50 jars.  The rest of the jars I will use to start growing in 5 gallon buckets with pasteurized wheat straw

G2G.jpg

If anything looks funky, please let me know.  This is my first time for all of this, so I'm ready for some knowledge!

Thanks

• Arathu and Ferather like this

#14 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:58 PM

Holy crap I have/had 24 quarts of Elm Oysters and it's a handful......I don't think I'm going to do all 24 bags but run some other experiments with this spawn.

I made six bags last night with about 3 lb sawdust/wood-chip/bran blocks and they're taking off like madness..........

Good fruiting vibes to you man...that mycelium looks great to me.....I don't see any funk at all..........

A

• WillDerback likes this

#15 WillDerback

WillDerback

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:43 AM

Awesome.  I haven't seen Elm Oysters.  I need to track down some LC of that to play with.  I just did some more G2G with my blues and now I have 42 blue quarts.  I'm gonna try to get about 60 before doing 5 gallon buckets with 2 quarts per bucket and pasteurized wheat straw.  Maybe do 5 buckets and see what I get.

Here's my experimental tub of Blue Oysters.

Blue Tub.jpeg

It fully colonized after about a week.  Now I don't know what the heck to do with it since it's my first grow.  I'm spraying down the walls of it a few times a day, removing the lid and fanning it at least 5 times a day.  The humidity is good, the temperature in the room is around 80 degrees.  Not sure how long I have to wait before pinning, but I'm going to pop a woody if it does!

Good growing buds.  

• Arathu, Nsnail and Ferather like this

#16 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:31 PM

I'm pretty sure you want lots of air........that really looks good keep doing what you're doing......perhaps some cool down if possible.........

A

• WillDerback likes this

#17 WillDerback

WillDerback

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:20 AM

I'm pretty sure you want lots of air........that really looks good keep doing what you're doing......perhaps some cool down if possible.........

A

Thanks Arathu.  I just put it in a cooler with some ice last night.  Pulled it out this morning and took the lid off.  Gonna keep spraying the sides of the bin to keep it wet.  My Pink Oyster test tub isn't as far along, but the mycelium on top turned pink overnight.  After freaking out I did some research and it turns out that's normal.  Glad that's the case since I just did G2G to 21 more jars of pinks last night.  

• Arathu likes this

#18 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 962 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:31 AM

Hehe yeah pink oyster mycelium turns pinks when it matures, good thing you checked before filling the bin.

• WillDerback likes this

#19 WillDerback

WillDerback

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:45 AM

So, my blue oyster grow is evolving, but I'm not quite sure what I'm seeing.  Are these a form of "pins?"  Reminder, this is my first grow, so I don't know what in tarnation I'm looking for.  They don't look like pins that I see when look at other photos people have posted.  

Blue Pins.jpeg

And then there is this crazy puffball looking thing growing in the same container.  It looks sketch AF.

Puffball on blue oyster.jpeg

As always, thanks for helping this old newbie out.

#20 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 962 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

More fresh air and less misting, its more than likely using the excess water to remove waste, or you have some light contamination.

Edited by Ferather, 23 July 2017 - 09:16 AM.

• WillDerback likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!