• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Springfield1911

Springfield1911

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:02 PM

Suppose you inoculated a couple grow bags and the mycelium is fully developed a couple weeks before you leave on a 4 day trip. How long can a developed mycelium remain viable?

#2 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,728 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:44 AM

At least a couple weeks. You could slow it down by cooling it.

Someplace like the coolest darkest part of your basement, possibly the refrigerator would do it.

One of the more knowledgeable will have better info for you but I've neglected things for improbably long times and still gotten results.

#3 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 808 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:46 AM

Pretty long time, I'm starting to believe a couple weeks longer than 100 percent colonization is good for it. Also if it's fully colonized refrigeration will hold it for a long time, give a week recovery after removing from the fridge.

#4 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,728 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

Most of what we do in growing our own is in trying to get from beginning to end as quickly and productively as possible. As such, many formulas and suggested timelines have become almost "law"

In nature there are few fixed timelines, especially for spores and mycellium. They kinda roll with what Nature helps or afflicts them with.

Anyway, the point is we and you are not anchored by a four day window. It wouldn't surprise me if you left for four weeks and came back to a viable batch, though maybe less productive or vigorous.

Why not get a mycellium syringe going now? It would keep til you get back if some disaster happens, and stay in the refrigerator for many months just as active as the day you make it.

I kick myself in the ass every time I get to fruiting and forget to make a syringe   :)

#5 Springfield1911

Springfield1911

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:40 PM

inoculated on the 14th but i expect to be away just about the time to start fruiting depending on colonization rate. i suspected the colonies would survive for a time beyond full development.

what do you mean mycelium syringe? a syringe from a print? I have syringes in reserve . i just didn't want to be away several days unable to mist and fan. the grow bags are intended for a cased monotub and a unsuspecting house sitter will be caring for my dogs. just don't want to have anything going during that time. using pf jars now.

Edited by Springfield1911, 17 July 2017 - 05:47 PM.

#6 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,728 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:56 PM

You can shoot sterile water into one of the jars, assuming you have airports in the lids, shake the jar until mycellium gets floating around in the water, then pull the water back into the syringe. VOILA! sterile syringe full of mycellium, not spores.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!