• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 panaho

panaho

One Grow Cultivation Guru!

• Free Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:09 PM

The wanting to use mushrooms as I saw it was mostly my decision as I was pretty much able to do what I wanted and saw them as fun to use. It grew into the habitual use of them as it was nearly every Christmas and Thanksgiving that I was able to go out and pick them. It almost seems as though I was meant to do mushrooms as I found them in the most unlikely places when I was not really looking for them. 

So as any person who likes  to dose knows , I liked them enough to do them as often as possible.  They  seemed to me perfectly safe .  Then I was turned on to this book by Carlos 

something or other and the book talked about this guy named Don Juan who was  supposedly a sorcerer. By the time I had read that book I had already done about a bunch of acid and did a ton of mushroom trips.

I thought it amazing that this thing called sorcery had the use of mushrooms involved , and I started thinking , Hmm I have a pretty good start as it seems it takes years in order to learn to see and whatnot.

I ended up reading all of those books as I am pretty sure a lot of other folks did the same thing. 

Anyway , as it turns out I was right about getting a good start on this thing called power and such else as I experienced some of the things that were discussed in the books and I was pretty much blown away.

After I had a place to live  I wanted to grow some mushrooms and so I read Mushroom Cultivator , found a Pressure cooker cheap , got some spores and jars , and grew some mushrooms first in a quart jar using a chunk of a small 1/2 inch thick layer of sterilized white rice that had been cooked . I carefully got some spores on a scalpel that had been heated with a alcohol flame and put those on the rice. I did about three jars as I had heard that there are contaminants everywhere . Good thing because I had heard rightly. Of the best looking white rice  jars I placed  carefully  a quarter of the pie into a quart jar about half full of sterilized wheat berries. 

After the wheat berries were covered in white I started giving fresh air and soon thereafter less than a week  there were pins and then mushrooms. 

I was obviously stoked at that point . I took the fresh mushrooms of the first ever grow  of mine (there were about five of them) and made a tea and drank it and sure enough thought these were choice . Major choice. 

So I have done nothing else except learn how to pasteurize and case and water and fan and make spore prints and be sneaky and in general be a bad man. 

• Coopdog, niemandgeist and Justintime like this

#2 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,150 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

Carlos Castaneda

https://en.wikipedia...arlos_Castaneda

Edited by Spooner, 02 August 2017 - 03:39 PM.

#3 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,250 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

Casteneda related he ate mushrooms or smoked them in the Sonorian desert with Don Juan.  Questionable.

• Skywatcher, Juthro and Heirloom like this

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,892 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

Maybe he meant, Don Quixote de la Mancha, instead of Don Juan, and after they got high they could joust with the windmills.

“The truth may be stretched thin, but it never breaks, and it always surfaces above lies, as oil floats on water.”

Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Edited by Juthro, 02 August 2017 - 05:01 PM.

• Spooner, happy4nic8r and tailsmcsnails like this

#5 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,216 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:27 PM

Casteneda related he ate mushrooms or smoked them in the Sonorian desert with Don Juan.  Questionable.

As far as I understand, "questionable" is putting it kindly.

• Skywatcher, Juthro and Seeker2be like this

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,282 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

Thank you Panaho for starting your log! This will help others to understand who you are and hopefully more tolerant when you post advice in their threads. This really lets others know where your skill level is so people know that you are only trying to be helpful when you give your advice that you read diligently in the forums.

#7 camirae

camirae

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

Cool :)

#8 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• Free Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:18 AM

I love the Casteneda books. There's a book by Carlos Sanchez called "Practical applications of the works of Carlos Castaneda". Check it out it your into it. Around .$18.

I heard trying to smoke them isn't a good idea. But what he smokes was a mixture with only a tiny pinch of ground mushroom added, species unknown.

In my shamanic states just about everything I did "acts of power" were grounded in what I learned from his books.

#9 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,720 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:44 AM

Or in less-diplomatic phrasing, it's "bullshit."

Jonathan Ott and R. Gordon Wasson did a remarkably good job of putting the Castaneda stuff to bed, and their work has been helpfully gathered and posted at mushroomjohn's site. I'd suggest that anyone interested in the topic check out http://www.mushroomj...onreviews1.htm and http://www.mushroomj.../castaneda1.htm for starters.

Edited by TVCasualty, 01 September 2017 - 08:45 AM.

• August West and Heirloom like this

#10 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• Free Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:32 AM

That doesn't discredit his whole body of work. There is always the possibility that Don't Juan didn't want him to know the complete admixture and merely told him it was a mushroom (powdered).

#11 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• Free Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:13 AM

OK I hadn't read the page link.
I had mushrooms in a paper bag for around a year and they did turn to powder (Texan Cubensis).
Wasson sounds like a jealous anal snob. I don't care how it was said. The lessons on the use of the human energy body and different states of awareness able to achieve via its manipulation are timeless and priceless. Whether he learned these lessons from an old Brujo or through study of mystical traditions doesn't matter. They are within the pages of his books and are usable to the common person.

#12 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,250 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:13 PM

Wasson was a pioneer of sorts with little experience.  It's easy to discredit a dead person from another zeitgeist.  I would read this about Castenada:https://en.wikipedia...los_Castaneda. I believe it is a fair description.

#13 panaho

panaho

• Free Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

\Why should I tell lies about my experiences? Makes no sense at all.  Oh well , the good thing about all this is that it involves stuff you have to experience ; stuff as an example like stopping the world. Only those who have actually read all the books 

and , gone to the lengths that were required as time went  by , are able to grasp even a bit of what it actually involves and so forth. 

I have gotten to the point of being regarded as at least a seer of sorts as far a this thing called power goes.  I have been around folks who are involved in this kind of thing . It is not a thing to be trifled with either ; power is real and entities are like the denizens of power who will help you or ignore you if you do not measure up.

• Justintime likes this

#14 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,537 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

I cannot recall which documentary I learned this from, but much of the story the book is based upon is actually a work of fiction. This was apparently a very big, influential book quite a long while ago causing lots of people to become interested in exploring and expanding their consciousness through the use of entheogens.

Most of the content of the book, although somewhat based upon sometimes fictional stories or events, appears to be helpful for those who are seeking knowledge beyond what our normal perception gives us access to. So in that regard, from what I recall of the documentary, the book is still useful, but some of its content should be taken with a grain of salt.

Edited by niemandgeist, 01 September 2017 - 05:16 PM.

• Heirloom likes this

#15 panaho

panaho

• Free Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:05 PM

He was specific when he admonished Carlos not to divulge the whereabouts of his house or other particulars , for good reason. There are a lot of slimy despicable people out there who will do mean things .

#16 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,216 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:08 PM

As a slight side-note to the conversation regarding Wasson...I can't believe I'm about to say this, but, Jan Irvin, total douchebag as he seems to be, appears to have done solid work showing Wasson to be legitimately connected to some very unsavory CIA characters, Allen Dulles among them. Take it for what it's worth to you. Don't bother me by talking about how batshit crazy Irvin is, I'm already aware.

• coorsmikey likes this

#17 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,720 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:19 AM

I've read all of Castaneda's books, and found them quite valuable in terms of developing a useful lexicon for discussing experiences that we otherwise have no vocabulary to discuss. But that doesn't mean that the underlying story isn't fictional.

Presenting wholesale fiction as anthropological fact is intellectually disingenuous, and has thrown a lot of genuine seekers of knowledge off-track over the years (I wonder how many people got lung infections over the years from trying to smoke mushrooms? How many people lost their minds completely or died from trying some Datura?)

Wasson sounds like a jealous anal snob. I don't care how it was said. The lessons on the use of the human energy body and different states of awareness able to achieve via its manipulation are timeless and priceless. Whether he learned these lessons from an old Brujo or through study of mystical traditions doesn't matter. They are within the pages of his books and are usable to the common person.

His personality is irrelevant to the veracity of his scholarship (and alluding to such as an argument is an example of the ad hominem fallacy). And the timelessness of the insights presented in Castaneda's books can also be interpreted as evidence of their contrived nature since all he really did was couch old concepts in new terminology (a favorite approach of self-help gurus and authors).

And where he learned that stuff does matter. A lot. So does documenting one's sources so they can be verified by independent researchers as otherwise we'd end up with a world defined by Piltdown Men and other anthropological frauds through history. And I mean outright frauds, not the all-too-common (and often arrogant) misinterpretations of actual artifacts by anthropologists and archaeologists who lack any contextual basis for understanding what they found. It's not a perfect system by any stretch, but improving the 'signal to noise' ratio of our understanding of our species' history is what the peer-review process is all about, after all. And that's real hard to do when one's sources are "secret."

Keep the company of those who seek the truth- run from those who have found it (Vaclav Havel)*

*That quote is often attributed to Deepak Chopra in a relevantly-ironic example of what happens when original sources are deemed unimportant; Chopra, like Castaneda, has produced nothing particularly original beyond how he cut and pasted his books together from extant (and often ancient) knowledge/insights.

• Spooner and tailsmcsnails like this

#18 panaho

panaho

• Free Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:37 PM

I would want to be very secretive if I knew stuff and had been told I would be killed if I ever said anything. Especially if I had learned that living forever could have something to do with what I knew.

#19 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• Free Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:30 AM

I've read all of Castaneda's books, and found them quite valuable in terms of developing a useful lexicon for discussing experiences that we otherwise have no vocabulary to discuss. But that doesn't mean that the underlying story isn't fictional.

Presenting wholesale fiction as anthropological fact is intellectually disingenuous, and has thrown a lot of genuine seekers of knowledge off-track over the years (I wonder how many people got lung infections over the years from trying to smoke mushrooms? How many people lost their minds completely or died from trying some Datura?)

His personality is irrelevant to the veracity of his scholarship (and alluding to such as an argument is an example of the ad hominem fallacy). And the timelessness of the insights presented in Castaneda's books can also be interpreted as evidence of their contrived nature since all he really did was couch old concepts in new terminology (a favorite approach of self-help gurus and authors).

And where he learned that stuff does matter. A lot. So does documenting one's sources so they can be verified by independent researchers as otherwise we'd end up with a world defined by Piltdown Men and other anthropological frauds through history. And I mean outright frauds, not the all-too-common (and often arrogant) misinterpretations of actual artifacts by anthropologists and archaeologists who lack any contextual basis for understanding what they found. It's not a perfect system by any stretch, but improving the 'signal to noise' ratio of our understanding of our species' history is what the peer-review process is all about, after all. And that's real hard to do when one's sources are "secret."

Keep the company of those who seek the truth- run from those who have found it (Vaclav Havel)*

*That quote is often attributed to Deepak Chopra in a relevantly-ironic example of what happens when original sources are deemed unimportant; Chopra, like Castaneda, has produced nothing particularly original beyond how he cut and pasted his books together from extant (and often ancient) knowledge/insights.

Sure enough. But ad hominem is the style in which Mr Wasson has given his opinion of CC's writing if you read his papers on the subject. I sense a frustration having been denied the knowledge of the exact botanical descriptions and whereabouts of these entheogens. Perhaps CC had the hindsight to keep these secret having seen the plunderous tramplings upon the sacred Peyote by overzealous seekers of the alternate experience.

So my opinion isn't really an assumption. You can see it in the papers he wrote. Shrugs

#20 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• Free Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:59 AM

Keep what is useful. Discard what is not. I learned a lot from the books CC wrote. Much of which is applicable. But of course I never jumped off a cliff to use my fear to transport my body into another dimension or smoke mushrooms.Madness is all part of the journey to enlightenment. Once you've gone mad you can identify what it is and avoid it next time. It's just a lesson. I've apparently gone mad at least four times. To the observer that's what I was. But for me. I was awakened and communicating with the universe. I wouldn't take it back. It enriched my spirit and I learned a great deal about myself.

I'll leave further opinions on this to the eloquence of scholars having had no formal education for linguistic jousts.
  • panaho likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!