• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Trich

Trich

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:38 AM

How does this abomination get off with only 15 months and 5 years of probation?

The judge should have made an example out of this dumb bitch..

http://www.nbcnews.c...hs-jail-n789276

• sillyrabbitcubiesR4us likes this

#2 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 495 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:54 AM

Yeah, saw this. As I read some of the evidence I thought she seems to have NPD traits rather than depression...

#3 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,586 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:20 AM

I would guess her sentence has something to do with her youth and her clean record.  What she did was reprehensible but I don't think putting her in prison for 20 years would be just, as punishment is only supposed to be one of the factors in crafting a sentence.  And in the end, it was the boy's choice to get back in that car.

I'd like to hear what other Mycotopiates think.

From a legal standpoint, it's interesting that her sentence was stayed, meaning she wont go to jail until her appeals are exhausted.  I was reading that her conviction may stretch the definition of manslaughter enough that there's a chance of it being overturned.  I guess we'll find out.

Edited by Sidestreet, 04 August 2017 - 05:22 AM.

• Spooner and sillyrabbitcubiesR4us like this

#4 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,161 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:49 AM

Ummmmmm..............he killed himself.....................she might be a sack of shit or not, I don't know her.............but he killed HIMSELF................

Do you arrest the people on the street hollering at the prospective jumper 8 floors up to jump so they can get through traffic? Some folks come out for entertainment like it's a TV program......Have any of you ever seen this? It's way more common than you might think..........

Moniz said Carter had a responsibility to take action to stop a life-threatening risk.

No one has the "responsibility" or "duty" to do anything at all. Are we saying that the individual that killed himself did not have free will? Her encouragement, as reprehensible as it is, IS NOT his action.  I would have called her a cunt and spit in her face myself shortly after and played back some of her conversation in public...... but you're gonna have to put a couple rounds in my chest or shoot me in the head, not worry about my suicide.............I'll never understand people that kill themselves. It's fucking sad I just don't understand, and while I'd probably slap the shit of this wing ding personally I still can't see how this is involuntary manslaughter. Then again I still don't agree with the Manson conviction either but that's another fight.............

Would I expect someone to try and help save someone else life if they could? YES personally I do expect that and will think very lowly of you if you don't...we absolutely would not be friends or associates after the fact...

I know I would certainly try to stop them not encourage them to do it....... BUT do I think she is responsible for his death, for HIS action....NO I do not.

What my emotions and beliefs lead me to ARE NOT the same thing as laws.............

What a twat AND what a dumb ass, yep I'm being a judgemental dickhead on very limited information ...............the entire situation seems a fucked up mess to be certain...............Geezus! 

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,380 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:34 AM

Life mimics art ....... or is it the other way around?......I forget. 

Look at our popular entertainment - back-stabbing, money-grabbing, sell-your-soul deals with diabolical characters, selling each other out, putting each other down, 

Folks wondering what's happening with our future generation of ladies need look no further than the generations of Disney Whores who continue to graduate from the Mickey Mouse Club and emerge bejeweled and scantily clad into the adult entertainment world. I could go on.....but then I wouldn't know where to stop. People have lost touch with their hearts. 

Hold this kind of shit up as "entertainment" and someone, somewhere is going to repeat the behavior. After all, the Romans thought gladiators were cool. 

#6 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,630 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:57 AM

I think what makes this punishable is that it wasn't a one time, one minute event. As I understand the evidence presented at trial she had been egging him on for days.

As "the law" sees this she should have recognized him as a mentally ill and weak person and done something, anything, to at least try to dissuade him. She did not. Every bit of what she said to him was encouragement of the darkest kind. 

Let's don't forget this trial took place in the palace of "the law".  What they're about in the palace is making sure the peons know who's boss. Even a broken clock is right twice a day and IMHO "the law" was right this time. She was not an innocent in this matter.

So, what's left? The sentence.

No, she didn't shoot him, put a knife in his ribs, or crush his head with twenty blows from a hammer. So technically she did not commit a homicide, he did in killing himself.

But again, she's not innocent in this matter and IMHO has earned punishment. Frankly I'd rather see it come from his family but this is the States' show. Murderers get as little as 7 years for outright murder. So as a matter of proportion 18 months isn't rubbing me as all wrong.

Hopefully the vicious cunt will get some help with her head so she can better fit into this increasingly sick society.Or better fall into a black hole and be transported to a Kharma-rich zone where she can watch maggots eat her flesh for a thousand years. Or am I being judgemental?????

Edited by pharmer, 04 August 2017 - 10:12 AM.

• sillyrabbitcubiesR4us likes this

#7 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,691 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:04 AM

Is it okay if I look into "disgusting" later?

#8 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,522 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:50 PM

she didn't make that dude kill himself....it's not like she held the gun to his head, and last time I checked, freedom of speech was a thing......If anything, she shouldn't even be included in this.....what, cuz she hurt somones poor wittle feelings....boo fucking hoo, get over it....the dude was obviously a pussy....

• Spooner likes this

#9 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,586 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

No one has the "responsibility" or "duty" to do anything at all.

This is totally true, except that (again, in the realm of very general legal theory) once you do get involved you have a duty to act without negligence, let alone the kind of recklessness this girl displayed.  If she sat back and did nothing while this kid killed himself she'd have clean hands--in the eyes of the law, at least.

I think that's what the conviction hangs on: reckless action resulting in death.  It gets more complicated because she used only her words and like fungi2bwith said, freedom of speech is a thing.  On the third hand, freedom of speech isn't absolute and you can get prosecuted for things like making credible threats or yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.

I'm pretty OK with the sentence.  I'm really curious to see what the court of appeals does.

#10 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 495 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:00 PM

I'm not sure what situation either of them was in, but she should have done something... and he should have said "Excuse me, but I'm not sure you are good for me" and fled for his life. He'd have to have a viable escape I guess.

She really appears to be a not particularly nice person (understatement) and he ... should have fled. Some people have peculiar relationships though.

#11 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,167 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:19 PM

Being 18 is a volatile time for most of us.  It certainly was for me.  This girl/woman seems to have contributed to his death, perhaps as the straw that broke the camels back, perhaps as the engineer of a much more diabolical plot to see how much she could manipulate another person, but he killed himself and bears the greatest portion of responsibility for his actions.

At the age of 18 young men are reaching the apex of their physical growth, and yet it will be 6 more years before their brains reach their full growth.  The ability to analyze risk/reward ratios seems to level out by around age 24.  This makes them prime targets for manipulation by cigarette companies, and beer sellers, fast food joints and of course the armed services.

If we hold her responsible for his death, then in the interest of equal justice, do we hold the recruiter responsible for the soldier who dies in combat?  Probably not, but the fact remains, the recruiter knew the dangers but chose to entice the young man to put his life in danger.

At the age of 18 I was not drafted to go kill gooks in Nam, instead I drove draft dodgers across the boarder on dirt roads into Canada.  It was a reckless thing to do and could have landed me in prison, but hell, I was 18 and invincible.  Perhaps my friends who went to Nam and came home in a box were also invincible, I like to think so. 

Perhaps assigning responsibility instead of blame is the best we can do in this case.  She contributed substantially, but the cause was carbon monoxide poisoning, and he had control of the means to change that.  He chose to do as she told him without telling her to go fuck herself.  That decision killed him and he made that decision.

Is  there a person here who has not done something questionable because of input from others?

Peace

P.S. Still wondering how I managed to survive for so many years. 

Edited by Spooner, 04 August 2017 - 10:29 PM.

• Sidestreet, Arathu, fungi2bwith and 2 others like this

#12 Trich

Trich

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:34 PM

The point of why this should fall on her is because he changed his mind and got out of the truck, she coaxed him back in.

• Spooner likes this

#13 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,227 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:24 PM

Maybe both sets of parents need to be investigated for their practices?

• Myc and Arathu like this

#14 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 466 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:18 AM

Pretty mild in terms of what humans are capable of, in my opinion. I think it was right that she was treated lightly. She has an entire life of learning, just a teenager. She'll be old an look back on this. I think it will be a big part of who she'll be. I hope she can grow from it. For me, it would be very hard to live knowing I did that when I was a stupid teenager. 

He wanted to die. Maybe he's in a better place now? Or into non-existence? Or not?

Unfortunate for the parents. I imagine that having a son die can destroy you emotionally. Really hard. 

But, I think this isn't our business. I'm not in a position to change it. I'm not a judge. I'm not their parents. I'm not him. I'm not her. I'm far away from them. They exist like nothing in my mind, just a forgettable story. I forget my story too. I die too. I experience suffering. There are people close to me that I can feel love for and express love towards. I'd rather do that.

Edited by Guy1298, 07 August 2017 - 03:33 AM.

• Sidestreet, Arathu, Alder Logs and 2 others like this

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,691 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:42 AM

Wisdom there, Guy.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#16 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,682 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:23 PM

My sadness extends to those of us who love life but must live in a world filled with the worship of death. Both of these kids were worshipping death. And the worst part is they probably didn't even know it.

They say sex sells. It does.

But Death... Oh my, that sells even better.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 15 August 2017 - 04:24 PM.

• Arathu and Spooner like this

#17 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,542 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:59 PM

I remember learning about this particular case a while ago. To be honest I'm just very glad that she was found guilty and sentenced at all as it sets a precedent for future situations like this.

A long time ago an ex girlfriend of mine who had her own mental issues got upset and tried to kill herself. At the time she was trying to get me into some kind of trouble over it, but I hadn't done anything. It later turned out to be some other guy who was doing some kind of stalking and other nasty stuff to her, but she tried to get me into trouble. At the time my lawyer said that if she wanted to kill herself that was her own choice.

In this case that you are posting about, however, this woman most definitely played an active role in pressuring and suggesting suicide. She is absolutely guilty and I'm glad that she was found to be guilty.

I admit that I also do feel that her sentence should have been less relaxed, but the important thing is that she has been found guilty.

In this day lots of communication between people happens over text and cell phones. It's good that there has been a precedent set. I doubt that this will be the only situation like this to come about and it's good that it's going to be less likely that people who are actively trying to convince others to harm themselves will not be able to get away scot-free. It would be bad if someone could argue "It was his/her own choice" even if they were sending coercive texts urging them to commit suicide.

Edited by niemandgeist, 17 August 2017 - 10:00 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!