• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,316 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:54 AM

I liked this species so much I decided to play around with substrates with them to see if I could find one they really love. I started a new thread so not to cloud up whitethumb's awesome thread on these beauties.

In my typical style, I chose to do mini grows in order to try as many different combinations as I have room for at the moment. I also am going for quick results, so I'm using LI into cake material and fruiting from 1/4 pint jelly jars. I am using the best clone that I took so all will be consistent. This will be a work in progress grow log. I am probably going to try many more variations and/or mixtures to see.

For this first trial, I am using BRF (as my grain source), verm and gypsum in all the cake material. My trial recipes are as follows:

1). Black Kow
2). Black Kow/Wheat Straw
3). Horse Manue Compost
4). Horse Manue Compost/Wheat Straw
5). Organic Compost from my back yard
6). Organic Compost from my back yard/Wheat Straw
7). Plain Wheat Straw

IMG_1180.JPG IMG_1181.JPG

Edit: can a mod please fix the title to sempervivas? Autocorrect got me and I didn't realize until after it was posted. Thanks.

Edited by peacefrog, 09 August 2017 - 09:56 AM.

• fahtster, whitethumb, PsyBearknot and 11 others like this

#2 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:41 PM

Very cool grow log. I fixed your title, too.

I bet the Black Kow produces as well as the horse dung.
  • peacefrog and Cigarsam like this

#3 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

My speculation is the Black Kow and Wheat Straw are going to give you the best results (speed and fruiting ) while the horse manure compost and wheat straw will give you slightly higher yields IME but if you flush X and toss, the life span of the tub can't be considered a variable.

Straight wheat straw is going to vary from tub to tub and absolutely recommend at least applying a 1/2"-1" thick moisture barrier after spawning.

If you paseurize I bet your organic compost would kick some major myco ass.

Good luck bro and i have been eyeballing the few grows of this species . Once I get my damn pans to fruit I might give them a go. Tubs are doing good other then not fruiting lol.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
  • peacefrog likes this

#4 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,316 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:47 AM

Thanks, Jammer for fixing that. You da man, as always!

Thanks for the good luck wish, brother Microbe. I'm just playing around with them for now. It will be interesting to see which, if any do better. Only time will tell. The clone I'm working with just started pinning a couple of days ago, but looks really good on simple BRF cake material. So, I'm hoping the clone will love one or many of the substrates I'm playing with.

These guys grow so slow, it just takes time. I agree with jammer when he said they were easy, perhaps easier than cubes, and it's a wonder why more cultivators aren't working with um. I still haven't tried them, but I have heard their potency is amazing.

Good luck on the pans! You'll get some fruit, that I know. Who knows, you might be like me and fall in love with pans so much, you say the hell with cubes lol. I look forward to seeing your results.

Also, just a note on the Viva's: they seem to take a very long time to recover after cloning. The few pins from agar I transferred took an average of 4-5 days to revert back to mycelial growth and the inner tissue samples of mature fruits took 7 or so days to recover. Strange, as I'm used to very quick turn around after cloning. They are an interesting species to say the least.

Edited by peacefrog, 10 August 2017 - 07:53 AM.

• CatsAndBats and Jeepster like this

#5 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 1,045 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:59 AM

i used an organic humus and manure soil and coir, i believe the ratio was 50/50.

glad you started to play with these guys again. i've been debating on giving these guys another go.
  • peacefrog likes this

#6 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveller

• Free Member
  • 911 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:09 AM

Sweet Peacefrog...
Looking forward with your progress.
  • peacefrog likes this

#7 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,316 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

Update:

At the 7 day mark after inoculating, they all are colonizing very well.

Surprisingly enough to me, most of the substrates with straw are colonizing faster then the ones without. And the straight wheat straw is soaring past them all. The same amount of grain source, and LI were used here, and again a known clone that I have been working with a little bit. I guess it could be the fluffiness of the straw making a more airy and easier material to colonize at a rapid rate?

Obviously the vote isn't anywhere near in on the best substrate for this clone/species, but so far straw is kicking ass and taking names lol.

Now for the pics:

Straight straw:
IMG_1191.JPG

Organic Compost/Straw:
IMG_1192.JPG

Organic Compost:
IMG_1193.JPG

Horse Manure Compost/Straw:
IMG_1194.JPG

Horse Manure Compost:
IMG_1195.JPG

Black Kow/Straw:
IMG_1196.JPG

Black Kow:
IMG_1197.JPG

I will update as soon as they start pinning. This will be a few weeks lol.
  • whitethumb, MycoRunner, Aqua and Red and 7 others like this

#8 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,316 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:56 AM

Update:
They have all fully colonized at the 15 day point.

Plain Straw: 9 days
Organic Compost/Straw: 11 days
Horse Manure Compost/Straw: 13 days
Black Kow/Straw: 14 days
Organic Compost: 12 days
Horse Manure Compost: 14 days
Black Cow: 15 days

I will give them a week consolidation, then case and top fruit.
  • Jeepster likes this

#9 Aqua and Red

Aqua and Red

Mycophilliac

• Expired Member
  • 278 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:08 PM

OOooooh weeeee!  Good fruits to you my friend!

• peacefrog likes this

#10 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:15 PM

Watching. Hoping a semperviva grow of mine own can happen this year. I was planning on trying your poo cake recipe, I think you posted that for pans.

Looks like there'll be a lot more data to review from this thread!

Due density has something to do with the straw colonizing faster?

Also I'm wondering that maybe the slower ones are nutrient rich enough that the mycelium is kinda slower, just because it doesn't have to work as hard?
  • peacefrog likes this

#11 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,316 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:06 PM

Perhaps, JK. You may be right.

I just don't know enough about this species first hand to know what they really love. I know they grow on humus soils in the wild. That's what these trials are hoping to get closer to an answer for me at least. I'm sure they will produce, but I just don't know how well they will do on any of these sub combinations. Going to case in a week and hopefully 3 or so weeks later, I will see what they look like when they grow.

Learning by trial and error lol. We will see.

Thanks to all for following along.
  • Arathu, mjroom and Jeepster like this

#12 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:21 PM

Learning by trial and error lol. We will see.

The ONLY way we actually learn anything...........IMHO ..............is BY trying.........and seeing what happens........"error" is, in this context, a subjective interpretation..............

You're exploring the options available to you........... I'm sure getting some fruits for your efforts too............

A

• whitethumb and peacefrog like this

#13 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 1,045 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:12 PM

thanks for the update!!
  • peacefrog likes this

#14 Aqua and Red

Aqua and Red

Mycophilliac

• Expired Member
  • 278 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:07 AM

I wanted to do some experiments with adding sand to the substrate.  This is what some scientists did with P. Barrarae (now amended to Zapotecorum, conspecific)

In their study the sand/compost substrate did the best.  I think some people have utilized sand in their casing layer for Mexicana species with good results too.

TCO used cactus soil as a casing layer for Semperviva, which also has sand in it.

#15 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,316 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:32 AM

We have lift off; 22 days after casing the first pin has appeared in one jar.
IMG_1220.JPG

This is on the horse manure only jar. But I see pins forming along the sides of every jar, so now for the fun part lol.
  • Dr.Hallucination , coorsmikey, Arathu and 6 others like this

#16 Jeepster

Jeepster

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:11 AM

Way cool!
I was given a couple prints not too long ago, looking forward to working with them, so I am watching this thread with great interest.
  • peacefrog likes this

#17 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:03 AM

I'm about to change jobs and gain tons of time........ :biggrin: ..........very cool stuff there Frog..............I'm watching too........

A

• peacefrog likes this

#18 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,316 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:50 AM

These are definitely becoming a close 2nd on my favorite list. Behind pans of course lol.

They are so damn easy and contam resistant. I honesty think they are easier than cubes, just takes them so long to produce. And once they do, they mature in slow motion. But man are they potent! I finally had a chance to try um, 1.5 dried grams wow! A hard level 4 experience without a doubt. I think 2 g would have made me loose it haha. Very clean and euphoric like pans but a little different. Very visual at least for my first experience anyway. They are definitely worth the wait!
  • MLBjammer, Samwise, Arathu and 4 others like this

#19 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

We have lift off; 22 days after casing the first pin has appeared in one jar.
attachicon.gifIMG_1220.JPG

This is on the horse manure only jar. But I see pins forming along the sides of every jar, so now for the fun part lol.

As a side note................Notice the similarity in appearance between this picture here and the surface of your woodlover tub..................... :biggrin:

Double good vibes man................hahahaha

A

• peacefrog likes this

#20 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:48 PM

Any update on these?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!