• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#101 aqudoc

aqudoc

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:17 PM

Just finding your log peacefrog, amazing!

• peacefrog likes this

#102 thehawk420

thehawk420

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 04:55 PM

SWIM has some VIVA going on BRF cakes and once the jars were fully colonized and consolidated, they were left in the 1/2 pint jars, cased and put into fruiting.  The casing seemed to colonize quite a bit though and after 30 days there are no pins on the casing surface.   However, there are quite a lot of side pins showing through the jars.   That said, my friend is looking for advice on what to do.  Should she just wait and see if they pop through the casing?   Or, birth the cakes and give them a roll in some casing and ditch the jars completely?   I would think option 2 would be the way to go, but any advice would be much appreciated.  

Edited by thehawk420, 11 July 2019 - 04:56 PM.

• peacefrog likes this

#103 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 310 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:26 PM

Yes I promise they are MUCH more potent than cubes.

Some compare their potency to wood loving actives. But I wouldn’t know personally unfortunately.

I find them to be not quite as potent as Ps. cyanescens, but close. Qualitatively they are infinitely better; much more friendly and no headache/hangover the next day. I'll take cubes over cyanescens any day.
  • peacefrog likes this

#104 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 310 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:33 PM

SWIM has some VIVA going on BRF cakes and once the jars were fully colonized and consolidated, they were left in the 1/2 pint jars, cased and put into fruiting. The casing seemed to colonize quite a bit though and after 30 days there are no pins on the casing surface. However, there are quite a lot of side pins showing through the jars. That said, my friend is looking for advice on what to do. Should she just wait and see if they pop through the casing? Or, birth the cakes and give them a roll in some casing and ditch the jars completely? I would think option 2 would be the way to go, but any advice would be much appreciated.

The casing likely colonized because it was too dry. Semps like a moist casing IME. Not saturated, just moist/fluffy. Try re-casing (1/4" deep) and keep it more hydrated (mist 2x per day). I'm not sure how you're fruiting them but fanning for 1-2 minutes 3x day should do it for you.

If you decide to birth them, give them a good soak in clean water, case and keep the casings moist/fluffy.
  • peacefrog likes this

#105 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,322 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:14 AM

Agreed with the advice above. They don’t seem to attack the casing layer very much if kept moist.

IME, don’t be afraid of giving the casing and fruit a very good misting from time to time. The water doesn’t seem to hinder growth at all. And they are so damn contam resistant, that I wouldn’t worry about excess moisture on the casing either. Not wet but very moist.

You have to take into consideration that they take so long to pin and mature. This means one will really have to keep up with moisture levels and microclimate.

My advice would be to as Don says or you could also just mist the crap out of the casing layer for a few days to really bring up the moisture levels. Then, wait lol. They take their sweet time.

Here is what my casing layer looks like right at pinning:
A72C9AED-E47E-4C2E-A8A4-40566DB8668A.jpeg

Notice how much moisture is on the casing layer.

And that jar, which was the best one, turned into this after several weeks of growing:
0F501603-70D5-42F7-A5C2-F84DC85FC987.jpeg

Good luck my friend.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!