• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Smallpox

Smallpox

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

I recently went mushroom picking and came back with a nice collection of specimens, all of them in zip lock bags. When I come back I opened a few of them to attempt an identification and then I see concealed inside the gills what appeared to be a tick. I have an awful fear of ticks too. I threw away the specimens I saw it in and didn't possess the courage to open up the rest. Does anyone have a similar experience? Are ticks in mushrooms common? I do know the little buggers like humidity so...

Edited by Smallpox, 10 August 2017 - 04:49 PM.

• wildedibles likes this

#2 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 709 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:55 PM

Never seen it. I know a lot of critters large and small, gravitate to mushrooms. Ticks seem unusual, but I can neither confirm nor deny.
  • wildedibles likes this

#3 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,158 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:45 PM

A tripping tick who yearns to be One with me and the Universe, is not my idea of the joy of getting back to nature.

Edited by Spooner, 10 August 2017 - 10:47 PM.

• wildedibles and Guy1298 like this

#4 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:05 PM

A tripping tick who yearns to be One with me and the Universe, is not my idea of the joy of getting back to nature.

Maybe thats the ....nevermind lol.....

I collect mushrooms in the woods walking threw deer trails ....there is all sorts of critters out there you dont have to be in the jungle to have critters that you would rather not be one with :)

I have seen mite like insects in the gills of mushrooms before ....if I see them in the woods I leave them there .....and if you see lots of flying tiny flys near the mushrooms these lay eggs in the gills thoes mushrooms will have worm / grubs in them

I avoid these but you will bring stuff home you may not see in the wild
I dry / print mushrooms in boxes the first night ....worms or mites will come out as the mushroom dies / drys.....

....if the worms got the mushrooms they will have no meat and no spore print the next day .....the worms dont crawl far ....but the tiny mites??

....ticks are a type of mite right?
  • Juthro and Spooner like this

#5 panaho

panaho

One Grow Cultivation Guru!

• Free Member
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

First of all the most important thing is to never place mushrooms in a plastic bag to transport them or to do whatever with them.  The flesh is strictly speaking alive , and the thing that is producing spores . Quite unlike dead  green plants. Oh , there is similarity but it is limited in that green plants make their own food.  

If stuck in a plastic bag they will suffocate .

• wildedibles and Smallpox like this

#6 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:37 PM

First of all the most important thing is to never place mushrooms in a plastic bag to transport them or to do whatever with them.  The flesh is strictly speaking alive , and the thing that is producing spores . Quite unlike dead  green plants. Oh , there is similarity but it is limited in that green plants make their own food.  

I like how you put that :) I agree fully ....after plucked from the ground an Amanita mushroom will follow the light and still open up fully to spore even if you pick it as a button mushroom ;)

use paper bags they are better or baskets to carry mushrooms I like baskets when I remember cuz the spores fall out as you travel around :) helping mushrooms by giving them legs to spread thier genitics further then they could do alone ;) maybe this is why some are so pretty that we need to pick them and take a look like the prettiest flowers :)
....:) or even why some mushrooms will spore even if you kick them about like some kids out there love to do with a giant puff ball :) or shaggy manes for that matter ;)

#7 Smallpox

Smallpox

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:42 PM

Maybe thats the ....nevermind lol.....

I collect mushrooms in the woods walking threw deer trails ....there is all sorts of critters out there you dont have to be in the jungle to have critters that you would rather not be one with :)

I have seen mite like insects in the gills of mushrooms before ....if I see them in the woods I leave them there .....and if you see lots of flying tiny flys near the mushrooms these lay eggs in the gills thoes mushrooms will have worm / grubs in them

I avoid these but you will bring stuff home you may not see in the wild
I dry / print mushrooms in boxes the first night ....worms or mites will come out as the mushroom dies / drys.....

....if the worms got the mushrooms they will have no meat and no spore print the next day .....the worms dont crawl far ....but the tiny mites??

....ticks are a type of mite right?

They're similar I think? Unlike most mites ticks can actually be quite dangerous humans and can "sense" us through Carbon Dioxide. And... just... yucky lol. They attach to your skin and feed on your blood and by doing so can give you lots of nasty diseases.

Speaking of worms though, I seen to have noticed some in my outdoor grow recently and now I got the green meanie. Can the two be related?

• wildedibles likes this

#8 Smallpox

Smallpox

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:43 PM

I like how you put that :) I agree fully ....after plucked from the ground an Amanita mushroom will follow the light and still open up fully to spore even if you pick it as a button mushroom ;)

use paper bags they are better or baskets to carry mushrooms I like baskets when I remember cuz the spores fall out as you travel around :) helping mushrooms by giving them legs to spread thier genitics further then they could do alone ;) maybe this is why some are so pretty that we need to pick them and take a look like the prettiest flowers :)
....:) or even why some mushrooms will spore even if you kick them about like some kids out there love to do with a giant puff ball :) or shaggy manes for that matter ;)

Thanks to you two, I didn't know the poor things would suffocate!

#9 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:49 PM

well worms would spread it while they travel
mites are responsible for lots of nasty stuff with human or animal or plant for that mattter depending on the mites??

I never had a problem way up here where I live but now even we have problems with them around ....Ive seen a green one stuck to my cuzin once I pinched it off her but I didnt know what it was till years later
...this year the tiny ticks have had me worried you can see the bigger ones but the tiny ones are hard to see...I had one itchy bug bite that drove me nuts I kept picking the thing till the scab came off and left a tiny hole in my skin Im thinking a tiny tick got me maybe uaually bug bits dont itch me there was something up with that one??
  • Juthro likes this

#10 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,158 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:00 AM

I think Noah could have left ticks off the Ark. :mad: 

#11 JanSteen

JanSteen

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 170 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

I've had Tick borne encephalitis once. Almost died.

Ticks love moisture while they change stages (insects grow in stages, I think there's a better term for it but I'm unaware of what that is right now) and wait for prey to pass by. Mushrooms seem to be good locations for that, also because small mammals tend to eat those mushrooms. The ticks can just hop on and do their damage.

DEET repellant at at least 30% should keep you safe for at least a few hours, but it's nasty stuff. And you can't treat mushrooms with it. Ticks don't like dryness though, so drying the mushrooms would either kill or scare away the ticks. Scaring them away doesn't seem like a good idea though, since they travel just a few feet maximum. You don't want those nasty bugs near your home or back yard.

Have a wonderful day!

• wildedibles likes this

#12 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:50 PM

Ticks love moisture while they change stages (insects grow in stages, I think there's a better term for it but I'm unaware of what that is right now) and wait for prey to pass by. Mushrooms seem to be good locations for that, also because small mammals tend to eat those mushrooms. The ticks can just hop on and do their damage.

DEET repellant at at least 30% should keep you safe for at least a few hours, but it's nasty stuff. And you can't treat mushrooms with it. Ticks don't like dryness though, so drying the mushrooms would either kill or scare away the ticks. Scaring them away doesn't seem like a good idea though, since they travel just a few feet maximum. You don't want those nasty bugs near your home or back yard.

Have a wonderful day!

Using boxes like a cereal box with a couple per box not touching and you can spore print them too just line the box with tin foil or something for the first 12-24 hours and the mites will crawl away but stay in the box then you can squish them or just throw the box away

check gills before collecting if you can see the bugs leave them there

#13 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:50 PM

Have a wonderful day!

Using boxes like a cereal box with a couple per box not touching and you can spore print them too just line the box with tin foil or something for the first 12-24 hours and the mites will crawl away but stay in the box then you can squish them or just throw the box away

• Spooner likes this

#14 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:52 PM

Have a wonderful day!

I dont use deet I wear tights in the woods with socks tucked over them and try to wear a long sleeve light shirt (helps to keep mosquito bites down too) altho you can get warm in the clearings where the sun is brighter ;)
  • Spooner likes this

#15 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,496 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:16 PM

Not sure about ticks but i know wild Cubensisis is full of other bugs. And if you don't see any bugs it just means their eggs haven't hatched yet :P

Edited by dead_diver, 14 August 2017 - 08:18 PM.

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#16 Smallpox

Smallpox

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:28 PM

Have a wonderful day!

Yeah that was exactly my worry too! Didn't want to find myself with an infestation. Leaving them to dry in the sun in the parking lot inside a box might be the safest way to go about it. 

• wildedibles likes this

#17 Smallpox

Smallpox

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:33 PM

Have a wonderful day!

I dont use deet I wear tights in the woods with socks tucked over them and try to wear a long sleeve light shirt (helps to keep mosquito bites down too) altho you can get warm in the clearings where the sun is brighter ;)

Personally I use permethrin clothing combined with DEET, but as stated before I am god damn phobic of these things  :ohmy: . You can find Permethrin military kits for treating clothing on ebay, it works pretty well for mosquitos too! But then again if you bring in a mushroom with ticks in and they infest your place no product besides professional help can really help you with that.

#18 Smallpox

Smallpox

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:35 PM

well worms would spread it while they travel

Yeah that was my suspicion too. At least I still have a bunch of mycelium inside, I'll either do an indoor grow or wait until autumn near the freezing point to put them out (they are blue oysters after all :)).

• wildedibles likes this

#19 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,893 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:08 PM

Tics need a living host to survive, they live on fresh blood and without it cant get the energy to produce eggs. To find one on a mushroom would be rare, and coincidental. Though they certainly live in many of the same places where wild mushrooms would be found.

They wont form an infestation inside a house without having infected live hosts present. Pets (or kids) are usually the vector for tics being found in houses.

Also I believe (IIRC) that the brown dog tick is the only variety that can complete all stages of its life cycle indoors. Other kinds of ticks can only be temporary guests.

#20 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:49 PM

I think understanding the life cycles are best to understand our pests
Ususally way up here we dont have to worrie about ticks but now we do at

a farm close to here a puppy had a tick and had it removed but the vet still says they can get sick from it to watch them they got the dog tick stuff now protecting the dog .........I have it for my dog and cats too and havent any issues .....same farm they got a wild bunny and it was full of ticks they removed them all and after a week or two the bunnie died anyway

it seems out of town its worse even tho the deer come and rest over night in town we dont have too big of an issue ....but farms are having lots of problems

So ticks only eat blood not mushroom protien it seems but there maybe some other type mites inside of mushrooms I have seen spider mite type bugs inside of mushrooms before this might be the type thing you are seeing

I wonder how much reasearch is being done on tthe insects found in mushrooms? maybe some of the benifits are due to a worm instead of the mushroom alone? lmao cordeocepts complicates things a little lol
  • Smallpox likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!