23 replies to this topic

#21 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,328 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:54 PM

I use any product with methoprene for total elimination of flea or tick life cycle. Methoprene is itself not toxic, but stops the life cycle from being able to progress for fleas and ticks. If they can't grow or pupate, they die.

I would not suggest spraying your mushrooms, but the area where they were carried or the floors if brought in the house............

any possible infestation----------- GONE

(I used to sell flea and tick products so I know way too much about IGR's)

• wildedibles and Smallpox like this

#22 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,510 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:59 AM

I use the vet stuff for flea and ticks

what is Methoprene Skye I dont think I have heard about that ??

Ive used lots of toxic flea stuff over the years and the last few I stopped using it at all .....some animals have gotten sick after using grocery store stuff that is like the vet stuff

My dog Tiny we had no tick issues here when I had her but she was allergic to fleas or the flea shampoo etc all that worked for her was the vet stuff anything else or nothing used she would pull out all her fur scratching .... Australian shepards look really funny with no hair poor girl ..... She liked thoes jelly fungi to help sooth her irritated skin tho

we r lucky with Po but he likes his deer trails so i wanna keep his tick treatment up to date

#23 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,328 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:06 AM

Methoprene is a IGR, (insect growth regulator) used in quite a few spray products. It also goes by the name "Precor". Some products also mix kill agents like permithrins, but you can buy spray which is only methoprene but you have to read the lable. 

I like the products that are only methoprene, because the amount needed for flea or tick control is minimal, and in order to have so much there was any toxicity to humans or animals would take more than you can get in higher concentration than a whole can of the stuff. 

We accidently brought a flea infestation home with about 3 ticks after a trip to the hills one time. I worked in the pet product industry at the time, and used precor spray all through the house on carpet and floors and furniture, and also used a precor spray outside in the yard. We had no after infestation at all.

One other plus on methoprene is it lasts for 180 days. During that time, any flea or tick cannot go to the next stage of the life cycle. Eggs don't hatch right, larve cannot grow, and adults cannot lay viable eggs. Ticks will die if they cannot grow. We always used something on the tick bite to prevent infection.

"Shivers"............................. I hate ticks, they disqust me, and fleas can get out of control in almost no time at all. 

I have, but do not like to use any pill or oil application for the dogs, as some of these have bad reactions. I would rather just know they can't bring hitch-hikers home to get started and give the dogs a good exam after we have been out. If you have a dog that is regularly exposed, a coller with a methoprene and less toxic kill is warrented.

• Juthro and Smallpox like this

#24 Smallpox

Smallpox

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 04:26 PM

I use the vet stuff for flea and ticks

what is Methoprene Skye I dont think I have heard about that ??

Ive used lots of toxic flea stuff over the years and the last few I stopped using it at all .....some animals have gotten sick after using grocery store stuff that is like the vet stuff

My dog Tiny we had no tick issues here when I had her but she was allergic to fleas or the flea shampoo etc all that worked for her was the vet stuff anything else or nothing used she would pull out all her fur scratching .... Australian shepards look really funny with no hair poor girl ..... She liked thoes jelly fungi to help sooth her irritated skin tho

we r lucky with Po but he likes his deer trails so i wanna keep his tick treatment up to date

We had a similar problem at my place, ending up with a product that was toxic (and later proved to be, it was taken off the market). Been using the Advantage product since and haven't noticed any signs of toxicity nor ticks or fleas. A lot of the pet-shop stuff is of pretty mediocre quality. I've also heard good things about Revolution but could never find it in my area so I have no experience with it. And you're lucky, I saw one the other day, Australian Shepards are really beautiful animals  :cool: .

• wildedibles likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!