SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,771 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:52 PM

I just watched the movie Cloud Atlas.

Profound is not a word that gets close to the meaning of this story. Not the gritty violence within the story, mind you, but the aspect of connected lives, and loves.

I shall get the book, but read it while on the sacrament.

I admit I am coming late to this party, as the movie has been out awhile. If you have not seen it, I implore you. Watch it.

The gates that we are to storm will be clearly shown, I believe you may agree.

Thoughts?
  • coorsmikey, Coopdog and whirledpeas like this

#2 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,135 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:31 AM

Just told the wife we need to make another run at that one. I saw it and wasn't paying that much attention obviously as it didn't make much of an impression on me. However you and several other people have told me their impressions of it and got me interested enough to try again and pay better attention. I have noticed that there are many movies that you can miss key things and not be impressed.

The 13th Warrior was that way, saw it and gave it two thumbs down, then saw it again and paid attention and was blown away. Departed was another, and also there are a lot of them that made MUCH more of an impression when paid proper attention to. I guess one could apply that strategy throughout life huh? Just be present!

Peace...

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#3 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,771 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:22 AM

You must definitely pay close attention to CA because it is 6 story-lines interweaved together in six different times. But I think if you do, you once again will be blown away.

#4 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,871 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

agreed on the Thirteenth Warrior

on your recommendation I'll give Cloud Atlas a look

Crash was another with interconnected story lines. No happy ending but a good way to spend an evening.

#5 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• Black VIP
  • 10,341 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

I should try Cloud Atlas again.  

I saw 13th Warrior in a movie house and was so put off by the recognition that it was filmed in a five year old PNW clearcut that I just could not handle it.   I see way more Cascadia region clearcutting than I would like, and so, I think if I were to watch it again, I would have the same reaction.  Maybe the script was a good one.  I don't know.   The location selection was terrible.

• SteampunkScientist and whirledpeas like this

#6 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:17 AM

Cloud atlas is great.......

Now, Harlock, Space Pirate on Netflix on shrooms.....That was a fucking mind bender.....

Edited by fungi2bwith, 16 August 2017 - 11:19 AM.

#7 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,771 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:22 PM

Harlock is awesome!

#8 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

"DOOR"

• Gold VIP
  • 540 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

Book is so much better than the movie. If you like CA, you'd probably like David Mitchell's other books too.

#9 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,771 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:00 PM

I have the book Tails. Haven't read it yet...

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 06 October 2017 - 10:00 PM.

• tailsmcsnails likes this

#10 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

"DOOR"

• Gold VIP
  • 540 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:54 PM

I have the book Tails. Haven't read it yet...

He is one of my favourite authors.  He is probably my favourite to listen to in  audiobook format because they are long books, mostly and the language is poetic sometimes.  If I was read-reading I know I would skim, but listening to a good reader read it is pure pleasure and does the book justice.  Cloud Atlas is just a crazy, demented, arrogant, ambitions, flawed masterpiece.

#11 Triptomemes

Triptomemes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:14 AM

I saw Cloud Atlas at the end of one of my journeys and it left me  asking "Why hasn't everyone seen this!"

After reading this post I decided to encourage my mother to have her first mushroom experience (3.5g) while Cloud Atlas played. At the end of the movie we had one of the deepest/emotional and honest conversations about life and death. I believe it gave her incredible closure in regards to her father who passed September last year. She also found that her laughter and sadness were cathartic which has made her more open minded to these enthoegens I'm always raving about lol. I'll have to pick up the book as well, I'm sure there is more story to be explored.

#12 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,771 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:34 PM

Properly taken, with humility, and respect, our sacraments can teach us lifetimes of truth in an instant.
  • Skywatcher, Alder Logs, Triptomemes and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!