#41 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,584 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:48 PM

My teacher once postulated that he felt there could be a limited number of original souls, and that we may have well surpassed that number, leaving large portions of the herd as shells going through the motions and mechanics of "being" but without the critical spark of awareness that brings about spiritual growth. Bots in a way. At the time I did not really agree, but looking around at the state of the world today it makes more sense than ever to me. So many people seem so blissfully uninterested in the things that I think may be important, but I also wonder at my own reasons for pursuing what I deem worth pursuing. The whole concept is an endless well of questions as someone said earlier. Oh well, I guess I will keep at it and see where we end up lol

• Skywatcher, Lakegal7 and DonShadow like this

#42 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,139 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:18 PM

I can't imagine the infinite being quantified.  Maybe it's just a local phenomena. 

#43 elfstone

elfstone

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 267 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:40 PM

I'm tired of reincarnation. I am ready to rest in the Dharmadatu for awhile. Oh! Wait! The Dharmadatu is already fully present. The round of birth and death is over. Ah!

#44 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:07 AM

I'm tired of being and non-being. My world requires neither to function perfectly. I wonder why you say that the Dharmadatu is present and birth and death are over? Is it because the reflection of God's oneness has finally come into focus?

Edited by DonShadow, 14 September 2017 - 10:20 AM.

#45 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,139 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:11 AM

How would non-being work?

#46 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:41 AM

I don't know! It seems to me that the state of be-ing is as arbitrary an attribute as any other. I imagine a party with a strict dress code; all guests must dress to the nines in their finest "being", but one ignorant fool missed the memo and showed up wearing exotic fashions from the alternate dimension where he hailed from, a dimension wherein "being" was simply not a necessary attribute. I guess Edwin Abbot Abbot's "Flatland" comes close to what I'm getting at.

Edited by DonShadow, 14 September 2017 - 10:43 AM.

• whirledpeas likes this

#47 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,139 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:52 AM

For me, "be" = "exist."  

I exist.  Did I not exist, ________________________________.   Who/what would fill the blank?

There would be no blank without being.  

Sure the language is not up to the job, but it's what we have here to play with.  

Edited by Alder Logs, 14 September 2017 - 10:55 AM.

• Spooner and DonShadow like this

#48 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

That's my definition also, but I maintain that the concept of being is inescapably a product of conditioning. It is a pragmatic linguistic structure belonging solely to the human sense apparatus.

#49 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:06 AM

Just saw your edit, we agree :cool:
If it is possible to imagine "non-being", perhaps it too can exist (lol). One would be hard pressed to prove that *anything* imagined really exists anyway (dang, where did I put my Existence-O-Meter?)

Edited by DonShadow, 14 September 2017 - 11:26 AM.

#50 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:54 PM

For me, "be" = "exist."  

I exist.  Did I not exist, ________________________________.   Who/what would fill the blank?

There would be no blank without being.  

Sure the language is not up to the job, but it's what we have here to play with.  

Dr. Logs - You are the one who put the blank there so you fill it in.  There is no blank for me just, "I exist.  Did I not exist?"  and perhaps the obvious answer is, "Yes, you are just the illusion of a meat suit wanting to validate itself as real."

• Juthro and DonShadow like this

#51 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:09 PM

Is there something between or outside of being and nothingness? If not, why not?

"All the clouds turn to words, all the words float in sequence, no one knows what they mean, everyone just ignores them." - Brian Eno

Edited by DonShadow, 14 September 2017 - 02:13 PM.

#52 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

Is there something between or outside of being and nothingness? If not, why not?

"All the clouds turn to words, all the words float in sequence, no one knows what they mean, everyone just ignores them." - Brian Eno

Particularly politicians serving word salad for for the voters.

• whirledpeas likes this

#53 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:50 PM

Maybe deception is only the unconscious deficiency of that essential nutrient called Love. Aha! Maybe love is the missing link between being and nothingness...

#54 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,139 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:03 PM

That's my definition also, but I maintain that the concept of being is inescapably a product of conditioning. It is a pragmatic linguistic structure belonging solely to the human sense apparatus.

Of what value to being is any concept?   What Is is.   What other truth can I proclaim beyond "I am."    Yet, depending on its source, the same statement can be a lie.    My idea of who I am can say no truth, for it is a lie.   So, while the words are ever suspect, the possibility to convey, or any attempt to convey, an actuality, depends on both the source and the destination of the communication.   Seeing the difference is possible through inquiry.

I can talk about it, but any answer would be in discovery.    Pure being is no-thingness. 

Maybe love is the missing link between being and no[-]thingness...

Or, is Love, Being, and Nothingness, the Holy Trinity?

#55 Jeepster

Jeepster

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:42 PM

With my NDEs I have thought a lot about life after death, but have found myself loving the experiences of this life so wonderful that I have found experiencing the wonders of this life too time consuming to really worry too much about the next life. When I get there, I get there.
  • Alder Logs, Lakegal7 and whirledpeas like this

#56 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:51 PM

Near Death Experiences are like Near Pregnancy Experiences. 

You either are or you are not, there is no near about it.

• Juthro and DonShadow like this

#57 CookieCrumble

CookieCrumble

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

Like getting hit in the head with a golf ball.

I would see my life flash before my eyes and try not to go in shock between the ball or my wound.

#58 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,139 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:51 PM

So I asked myself, "why is that Frisbee getting bigger?"   And then it hit me.

• Juthro and whirledpeas like this

#59 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,154 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:39 PM

So I asked myself, "why is that Frisbee getting bigger?"   And then it hit me.

"

When it did I bet you heard a, 'Wham-O'......
  • Alder Logs and Lakegal7 like this

#60 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,139 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:58 PM

With my NDEs I have thought a lot about life after death, but have found myself loving the experiences of this life so wonderful that I have found experiencing the wonders of this life too time consuming to really worry too much about the next life. When I get there, I get there.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!