5 replies to this topic

#1 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,523 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:46 PM

I have recently (still in progress) been converting my front yard to xeriscape Where I live there is only a thin veneer of topsoil, and anything below that is rocks, pulverized rocks, and a semi-solid kind of hardpan. The point is digging holes for assorted grasses and agaves, and some sage and lavender varieties, is ridiculously hard work. After spending a day in 100 degree heat, digging and planting, I was more than dismayed to discover the next morning, that we have wild rabbits, who found the smaller grasses quite taty and ate them to the ground................

After much research on natural repellants, I got repeted feedback that rabbits do not like strong odors, or hot spicy.......................
I read some recipes, and devised my own........

! gallon of water
7 garlic cloves, smashed
6 ghost peppers finely sliced

I mixed all these in the water and then let it boil in the hot sun for the whole day.
A very small amount was poured on and around the remaining grasses and possible edible plantings.

I am pleased to say the odor to me was not too bad, and not one plant has been touched since, and that was three days ago. I am sure I will need to retreat every so often, until the rabbits get retrained to avoid my yard and plants.

I would say this will work well in garden application as well, but I strongly would suggest treating around the plants, and not applying this to anything you plan to eat as it is likely to retain the ghost pepper heat and garlic for some time afterwards.....

Just thought others might like this non toxic and proven effective rabbit repellant.

Edited by coorsmikey, 28 August 2017 - 10:00 PM.
Added definition for folks in different climates :)

• Myc, wildedibles, Juthro and 2 others like this

#2 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,041 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

I have pet rabbits and they do not like pepper or tomato I think they ate the garlic grass not the bulb and ....oh ya they like herbs like oragano they will eat that and tyme :) Im seasoning from the inside out :)

They love almost all tender plants :) like lettuce dandelion :) ya grasses .....nice to know you found some new to you rabbits tho bud :) I can tell your doing something right ......any succlients going in ??
  • Skywatcher and Spooner like this

#3 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,041 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:15 PM

oh ya they eat succlients too ..... like Orpine they love that one an I tried the little leaf ones too they like them

....is good to know what they like and dont like....

#4 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

My father just recently built a low fence completely surrounding his garden in an attempt to keep the rabbits out. He made it out of wood and it seems to work quite well. Of course, chipmunks and squirrels still nibble on a few things, but it was the rabbits that would really cause a lot of damage.

I relayed this information to him anyway, but I'm going to remember this for myself as I'm sure it'll come in handy in the future.

I understand that ghost peppers have even been used to repel elephants from certain areas with great success:

http://news.national...-elephants.html

For what it's worth, my grand parents would use moth balls spread all around their garden in order to keep out the critters and it seems to work at least a little bit. My grandfather also used to buy those fake rubber/plastic snakes to put around the garden in an attempt to scare the animals away, but I don't know if that had any effect.

• wildedibles, Skywatcher and Spooner like this

#5 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,041 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:20 PM

well if it woks for ellephants :)

oh thoes rubber snakes lol my neighbour kid would move it about his moms garden to scare me while I was in thier workin lol :) Im not that afrid of snakes

#6 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,041 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:06 PM

:) Skye you should really check the dirt coming from new plants lol you get rabbits hatching out everywhere :) we got them here too but Im lucky I can pick what I want them to eat outa my garden ....my kale all went to them this year the snails ate all of the leaf but not the vein in the leaf so the rabbits got that stuff.....
  • Spooner likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!